Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Steve Martin Becomes First-Time Dad at 67

Steve Martin has become a first-time father at the age of 67.

The Father of the Bride star and his wife Anne Stringfield welcomed the baby in December but managed to keep their happy news under wraps until now.

A source tells the New York Post, “They’ve had a baby, and how they kept it a secret nobody knows. Steve’s very private. They are thrilled. They worked hard to have the baby.”

by Grossreply 9102/14/2013

His wife is cute

by Grossreply 102/13/2013

Has he never thought about the fact that he's already a senior citizen?

by Grossreply 202/13/2013

He'll die on his child's 10th birthday.

by Grossreply 302/13/2013

"They worked hard to have the baby"

No shit; his sperm count is probably close to niill. So selfish to have a kid at that age.

by Grossreply 402/13/2013

At least the kid will get its inheritance sooner than later.

by Grossreply 502/13/2013

[quote]So selfish to have a kid at that age.

You know, I agree. There comes a time in life when you should just admit you're not going to spawn. It's not fair to the kid.

by Grossreply 602/13/2013

You're all just jealous that you don't have a grampa/daddy of your own!

by Grossreply 702/13/2013

R7, you forgot to sign your comment as 'Annie Warbucks'

by Grossreply 802/13/2013

I thought that was Keira Knightly.

by Grossreply 902/13/2013

He's obviously too old for it but he seems like a decent, if somewhat weird, guy. He'll probably be very involved as a parent for the rest of his life.

The kid and Martin's widow will be well provided for after he's gone. Could be worse.

by Grossreply 1002/13/2013

R3 cracked me up.

by Grossreply 1102/13/2013

I know the kid will be set for life, but I can't imagine being a young kid and seeing Dad in his last stages of life. Steve will be 80 when the kid is 13.

by Grossreply 1202/13/2013

Martin is a prick--his nastiness is well-known and well-documented by persons in the service industry.

by Grossreply 1502/13/2013

R14= misshellenbedd/Mrs. Patrick Campbell, on the hunt for aged sizemeat

by Grossreply 1602/13/2013

R15,

Start a thread!

by Grossreply 1702/13/2013

On the plus side, the child will have quite the art collection to enjoy.

by Grossreply 1802/13/2013

[quote]his nastiness is well-known and well-documented by persons in the service industry.

On those occasions that I've run into him and Anne at parties, R15, I've always found them both very pleasant. She seems warmer than he does (if only because of his hearing loss), but they've both been unfailingly fun to be with -- regardless of what the waiters might think (and "DOCUMENT"? Just how?) And it's a pleasure that he does not feel the need to be on all the time.

by Grossreply 1902/13/2013

How ridiculous for someone to reproduce at nearly 70. Celebrities are so selfish and self-indulgent.

by Grossreply 2002/13/2013

Wasn't Tony Randall already in his 70s when he became a first time dad? Sadly I don't think he even got to see his kids' 5th birthdays.

by Grossreply 2102/13/2013

It's not just about money. A child will have to deal with having a parent as a senior and deal with death.

by Grossreply 2202/13/2013

[quote]Love the way that DLers grudgingly accept Steve Martin as a parent, but have a fit if a 37-year-old woman (30 FUCKING years younger than Steve) wants to have a child.

Who the hell has a fit when a 37yo reproduces? That's a completely normal child bearing age. Do you have a link to that, because I honestly do not believe you.

I have to agree that this could be worse. At least she's young enough and he doesn't have 40-year-old children already. Yeah, he's too old but I can't be bothered to be scandalized.

by Grossreply 2302/13/2013

This is their third baby. The other two came out 'special' so they were used for organ and tissue harvesting.

Steve's nutsack is now as smooth as a baby's ass - because it's made of baby's ass.

by Grossreply 2402/13/2013

It's not right—for (most of) the reasons stated above. I've always liked Steve Martin, but I really thought he was smarter than this.

by Grossreply 2502/13/2013

It's irresponsible vanity for men that age to have children.

by Grossreply 2602/13/2013

All I can say is, EWWWWWWW.

by Grossreply 2702/13/2013

Kids don't care about money or wealth. They care about having parents, and although anyone can die at any time, you know when you're 67 that the chances of being alive for your kid's graduation isn't as good as if you were 37.

by Grossreply 2802/13/2013

Trophy wife producing off-spring is the surest way to insure a BIG settlement $$$ when the time comes...it's the perfect strategy.

by Grossreply 2902/13/2013

He's 67 and she's 42.

Poor kid, and the parents are going to be exhausted!

by Grossreply 3002/13/2013

[quote]Kids don't care about money or wealth.

Please share with us: From which secluded glade, far far, far away from the United States are you typing words?

by Grossreply 3102/13/2013

He is affluent, in good health, and surely gets good health care. He could easily live to 90 (child 23) and of course provide for that child for their life.

Not so bad a legacy for a parent.

I too think it strange to have children late in life. But the psych literature on it is not bad for the kids. They do not suffer from it in any particular way.

by Grossreply 3202/13/2013

This seems typical in my neighborhood (upper east side), I see lots of men that look like grandfathers pushing expensive-looking strollers with babies. Probably not as extreme as 67 years old, but probably in their 50's. Young wives? Maybe. Else, both parents waited for their careers to be well established and had lots of money. Why struggle, right? They are usually the most annoying, entitled parents too.

by Grossreply 3302/13/2013

R13, my mom was 37 and my dad was 42 when they had me. I think that's old enough.

by Grossreply 3402/13/2013

"He could easily live to 90"

Yeah. And blind, in diapers, confined to a wheelchair, and I haven't mentioned the dementia/Alzheimers.

by Grossreply 3502/13/2013

My friend swears that he's always been on the down-low.

by Grossreply 3602/13/2013

[quote]if only because of his hearing loss...

My ears are BIG! It's their mouths that got small!

by Grossreply 3702/13/2013

R7 - WTF are you talking about? People here are criticizing Martin, not "grudgingly" accepting it.

And once again, the child of a millionaire film star has absolutely NOTHING in common with a woman close to 40 (or older) having a child, unless the mother is a wealthy celebrity also.

Do you really need that pointed out to you?

by Grossreply 3802/13/2013

Could be that these old guys (Letterman, Baldwin, Martin) finally find a woman who will put up with their bs long enough to spawn with them late in their life. The old coot is too old to dish out their crap like they did when they were young. either that or the woman sees $$$$$

Who is next? Keith Olbermann?

by Grossreply 3902/13/2013

R39 - add crazy-ass Pacino to that list as well.

by Grossreply 4002/13/2013

R24, that's a lie.

And R30, press reports say that she's 41, but I can tell you that up close she looks spectacular for 41, and I'd be surprised if she's not adding a few years so that their age gap won't seem so grotesque.

by Grossreply 4102/13/2013

[quote] Kids don't care about money or wealth.

I guess you haven't met an American child over the age of eight.

by Grossreply 4202/13/2013

With money, everything is so much easier.

My partner's parents are 87 years old. They haven't got a pot to piss in. He's always running around taking them to doctors, sending them money to pay their oil bill, visiting them in hospital, rehab center, checking on them at home, making sure the home health aide shows up, etc.

With the kind of money Steve Martin has, his kid can go along his merry way. Money will take care of everything.

by Grossreply 4302/13/2013

He wants reliable companionship and she wants a baby. A tale as old as time.

by Grossreply 4402/13/2013

They get old, R39, realize the end is not that far away and decide that having a child is the closest thing to not dying.

by Grossreply 4502/13/2013

When people like Steve Martin and Elton John wait until their 60's to have a kid, I think it's very selfish. They'll be lucky to see them graduate high school.

by Grossreply 4602/13/2013

"With money, everything is so much easier."

Unless Steve spends it all on toys for Mrs. Martin. He'll need to spoil her if he wants her to stay...

by Grossreply 4702/13/2013

R46, at least the children won't know them well enough to write a book.

"Chapter #1: My first memories of Father were of a wrinkled gnome fighting me for a spot at my wet-nurse's teet, Ever-competitive, Pater measured every pickle we put in the pot. "It's a good day; my yam is crowning!"

by Grossreply 4802/13/2013

Years ago (probably a decade or more) Martin said he didn't want children but would consider it if he met a woman who did. Apparently that's what happened.

The kid will be fine. And, if s/he isn't, it won't be because of Martin's age.

by Grossreply 4902/13/2013

Saul Bellow fathered a daughter at 84. Makes Martin seem like an impetuous young fool.

by Grossreply 5002/13/2013

Nearly 70 and going deaf? Christ! That is no time to have a child. I've lost respect for him. Why have a child if you are not even going to start off worrying about what is best for a child. I have known people with much older parents and they hated it. Their parents couldn't physically do what their friends parents about could. And Martin will be limited and playing and listening to the kid.

by Grossreply 5102/13/2013

[quote]Martin is a prick--his nastiness is well-known and well-documented by persons in the service industry.

Most comics are. The tears if a clown, Son, the tears if a clown.

I'll guess her "Push Gift" is she gets to push him in the wheelchair.

by Grossreply 5202/13/2013

Would anyone here have a problem with Anne's decision to become a single mother? Evidently she has made the decision to become a mother while married to Steve Martin, a man she loves who is 67 years old. Why is that worse?

by Grossreply 5302/13/2013

Late paternal age is a risk factor for all sorts of nasty thing, like autism and schizophrenia. If Martin wanted a kid, he should have done it sooner.

But every young wife of a rich man has to have a sprat, it ups the odds of the marriage lasting and increases her post-divorce income. Ugh.

by Grossreply 5402/13/2013

Despite the daddy issues, his wife is kind of adorable.

by Grossreply 5502/13/2013

In his autobiography, he makes no bones about the fact that his father was a genuine bastard who skull-fucked the whole family for kicks, but went out of his way to make Steve miserable every chance he got until he dropped dead at a fairly early age.

It's no wonder Steve never felt the need to be a father himself.

by Grossreply 5602/13/2013

I don't feel sorry for the kid. S/he is going to inherit Martin's art collection, for one.

by Grossreply 5702/13/2013

They kept it under wraps because they feared the infant would die. That's the grapevine news we get from our nanny.

by Grossreply 5802/13/2013

There are advantages and disadvantages to having older parents. My parents were older and, overall, it was a benefit -- socially, economically, and they adored being parents. The only disadvantage is that I was an orphan at 43 which seemed young.

One think I notice, however. I teach at a med school and my students, disproportionately, are only or oldest children of older parents. This topic comes up when we're discussing end of life care. I've noticed this birth order/parent age thing for the last 15 years.

by Grossreply 5902/13/2013

^^thing, not think.

by Grossreply 6002/13/2013

The odds of a child having schizophrenia, autism and a whole slew of other disabilities are just as high with a father over 40 as a woman in her 40s having a kid with Down's Syndrome. Of course, he will be dead when his wife deals with an 18 year old schizophrenic child.

by Grossreply 6102/13/2013

I always wanted to be a dad, but I'm 50.

Still, if I had one by end of the year my kid would almost be legal by the time I'm Steve Martin's age.

by Grossreply 6202/13/2013

[quote]I always wanted to be a dad, but I'm 50.

Who says 50 is too old to have a kid?

by Grossreply 6302/13/2013

so irresponsible.

james gandolfini also just had a daughter at age 51

by Grossreply 6402/13/2013

I don't think 51 is so bad.

by Grossreply 6502/13/2013

One thing I like about Mrs. Martin is, unlike Mrs. Seinfeld and Mrs. Baldwin, she's not in the public eye like some crazed opportunist.

by Grossreply 6602/13/2013

I would bet anything that his much younger wife wanted to have a baby and he just went along with it. Steve Martin has never struck me as someone who would relish having children. I can't picture him as a father at all.

by Grossreply 6702/13/2013

The poor kid is going to spend their teens changing dads' diapers. What fun.

by Grossreply 6802/13/2013

I'm guessing Steve Martin will hire nurses to change his diaper when his kid is in his/her teens.

Money does make the shit in life so much better.

It may be easier for the kid. He/She will grow up always knowing dad as old. They'll never have to face the heartbreak of watching a once young, vibrant parent age. I know it hurts me to know my father, who used to hunt, fish, laugh, dance, has trouble getting out of his car. I don't know but I would think kids w/old parents "connect" differently with kids who knew their parents as young men/women.

by Grossreply 6902/13/2013

R54 is right, although I don't know about autism and schizophrenia, but I read an article recently about children born to elderly men being at greater risk of getting diseases and having poor health.

by Grossreply 7002/13/2013

Old sperm is damaged sperm.

by Grossreply 7102/13/2013

The main complaint I hear from children of older parents is that when they were growing up their parents were too tired to do anything. They rarely went on outings or did things together because the parents were always too worn out to do much. Of course, in Martin's case there will be nannies and housekeepers to care for the child, so he'll probably have little to do with it. His young wife will probably be more active in the child's life, but I think the kid will grow up mostly on its own, raised by hired help, just like so many celebrity babies are.

by Grossreply 7202/13/2013

When your parents are old you worry about them when you are young.

by Grossreply 7302/13/2013

Gee, R19, why don't you lick Martin's asshole some more?

by Grossreply 7402/13/2013

Another vote for "selfish to have a child." Even if the spouse is much younger. I feel like most people have children with purely selfish motives.

by Grossreply 7502/13/2013

70 year old sperm? So which genetic disease charity will he be spokesperson for?

by Grossreply 7602/14/2013

My dad was 42 and my mom was 39 when I was hatched.

My mom is still alive at 90, my dad died when I was 32. Fantastic parents.

by Grossreply 7702/14/2013

[quote]How ridiculous for someone to reproduce at nearly 70. Celebrities are so selfish and self-indulgent.

Not just celebrities. My (way) older half-brother just had a kid at 65 with his young third wife. He has 2 grown sons older than my younger brother. My Dad had kids way late in life with his second wife (my mom).

by Grossreply 7802/14/2013

R59, why do you suppose that is? Do first/only children get more attention and thus are motivated to succeed, then are the later kids?

by Grossreply 7902/14/2013

Given the women he has 'dated', does anyone actually believe that he is straight?

by Grossreply 8002/14/2013

Cary Grant was 62 when he had his first and only child. He lived to see her turn 20.

by Grossreply 8102/14/2013

R13, I don't think it's DL that is standing in the way of you getting pregnant.

by Grossreply 8202/14/2013

R80, I too always wondered if he was gay. I have heard that he was always a very depressed man and lonely. Women said he was lousy in the sack. However, I bet he feels he wished he had children years before because children can change a person's life around and bring tremendous joy.

Diane Keaton said one time in an interview when she adopted her two children, it changed her life tremendously.she said she should have had children years before because she is so happy. Diane said when she was finished working on a film she wasn't looking forward very much coming home to an empty house, but now when she she comes home to her two children, she can't wait.

by Grossreply 8302/14/2013

Larry King and his two sons at Disneyland:

by Grossreply 8402/14/2013

r3

Unless he lives to be 85. Which is very likely.

by Grossreply 8502/14/2013

These old fuckers having kids contribute to the rise in autism over the last couple of decades.

by Grossreply 8602/14/2013

r23, I've seen the type of posts r13 is talking about. I don't recall any referring to 37-year-old women specifically, but I do recall seeing a few targeting women in that age range and older.

by Grossreply 8702/14/2013

"He could easily live to 90"

"Yeah. And blind, in diapers, confined to a wheelchair, and I haven't mentioned the dementia/Alzheimers."

My husband's grandfather had his son's in his 30s. However, he lived to be 105, and was perfectly cogent until the last 6 months of his last year and wasindependently mobile well past his 100th birthday; and they were just a normal, middle-class family with access to just normal middle-class healthcare. It may be a relatively rare outcome, but it isn't unheard of.

Nevertheless, this is hardly something for Steve Martin to rely on. Even a healthy, active senior doesn't want to be parenting. It just isn't healthy or practical for that stage of life.

by Grossreply 8802/14/2013

If *she* were 67, and wanted to adopt, you'd burn her at the stake.

by Grossreply 8902/14/2013

r79, I don't know. It could be what you listed. I just know that I saw the pattern so much that it became a class joke. Having older parents and being an only child is correlated, of course. But being the "oldest" is not...otherwise I would think it's just birth order. But the common thread was parent age. We used to measure that by the combined ages of the parents at the student's birth. And most of my students had parents with a combined age equal to or greater than 90.

by Grossreply 9002/14/2013

There's a big difference between 42 and 67. Even 50 is not too bad. But the wife is selfish too. She didn't have to marry an old guy. But since she did a she might have a considered adopting a tween. I wrote that and it occured to me how sad it would be for a tween to have a 70 year old dad. This is really stupid of him. He will be 80 when the child is 13.

by Grossreply 9102/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.