Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Where is my hermit crab?

Anyone know about hermit crabs? I have four. Haven't seen one in awhile so I assumed he had burrowed into the sand to molt. Got curious tonight and dug through the sand looking for him and he's not there.

He couldn't have gotten out, and a dead crab would be hard to miss...I'm baffled by this mystery of mysteries!

by Hermiereply 4502/19/2013

Did the other ones eat him?

by Hermiereply 102/12/2013

I have him, If you ever want to see him again, then you will leave $10,000,000 in small bills by the little treasure chest.

by Hermiereply 202/12/2013

LOL @ R2

OP, did you find his shell? It has to be in there somewhere. Unless he found a way to escape, as ours have done a few times. Look through the sand again. How big is the tank they are in?

by Hermiereply 302/13/2013

WHERE are my DRAGONS?!?!?

by Hermiereply 402/13/2013

They smell

by Hermiereply 502/13/2013

@ R5 we're not talking about the crabs on your nasty stinking crotch, we're talking about hermit crabs... and they don't smell.

by Hermiereply 602/13/2013

Do they have cool, painted shells, OP?

by Hermiereply 702/13/2013

My crab's name is Miss Shelly Boodles

by Hermiereply 802/13/2013

by Hermiereply 902/13/2013

Nope, didn't find his shell. They're in a 20-gallon tank. Laughing at R2 and Shelly Boodles.

by Hermiereply 1002/13/2013

I am sure lots of people on this board can give you advice on crabs.

by Hermiereply 1102/13/2013

OP, I came by while you were out, fried him up with a little lemon juice and garlic, and had him for lunch. He was delicious, BTW.

I'll be back one day next week for another...

by Hermiereply 1202/13/2013

He escaped, probably looking for food. What do they eat? What temperature zone do they like to hang out in? Search there.

by Hermiereply 1302/13/2013

Off to Hermit Kingdom?

by Hermiereply 1402/13/2013

Sorry to hear, OP. I've had hermit cabs for pets for over 10 years now. I have had one or two completely disappear inside the tank, i am assuming they were consumed. One did escape for days and I left a damp towel near somewhere warm and it was drawn to that. Hope this helps.

by Hermiereply 1502/13/2013

What is the attraction to hermit crabs? I used to know a guy who had one. The thing was just slightly more interesting than a pet rock. What do they eat? Do they show any personality?

by Hermiereply 1602/13/2013

Hermit crabs kind of freak me out. They do nothing for the longest time, then they poke their creepy claws out of their shells. It's like Aliens. *shudder*

by Hermiereply 1702/13/2013

They do smell, they have finely developed sense of smell, they do not stink.

by Hermiereply 1802/13/2013

I know nothing about hermit crabs, but couldn't you leave food and water out for him nearby the tank and hope it draws him out? How far could he have gone really?

by Hermiereply 1902/13/2013

Don't aquarium tanks have lids? I can't picture the crab (with or without shell?) scooting up the side of a glass tank. But this happens?

Do hermit crabs eat their own? A friend of mine was rooming with someone who had a large aquarium with angel fish (I think). While she was having morning coffee, one of the fish attacked and began to eat another.

by Hermiereply 2002/13/2013

what? why you [crunch] lookin' at me [crunch crunch] like that!?

by Hermiereply 2102/13/2013

That wasn't escargot?

by Hermiereply 2202/13/2013

You don't need to use @ to refer back to an previous post. Just the letter r, then the number of the post you're referencing (no space between).

Okay, carry on hunting for crabs.

by Hermiereply 2302/13/2013

[quote]Don't aquarium tanks have lids?

You don't keep a hermit crab in an aquarium.

by Hermiereply 2402/13/2013

I keep mine in a hermitage.

by Hermiereply 2502/13/2013

I used to keep a few including one jumbo. The smaller ones were cute when they'd scuttle around the tank but the jumbo looked like a huge spider which was a little creepy.

They really are fascinating little creatures but they require very specific conditions to thrive. It's sad that they're seen as novelty/throw away pets to just toss in a tank with some sand and food where they often slowly suffocate from lack of humidity.

by Hermiereply 2602/13/2013

Why was I under the impression that hermit crabs live in aquariums? I could swear I've seen them underwater scuttling around in them.

by Hermiereply 2702/13/2013

I thought they lived underwater/in aquariums, too!

They don't?

by Hermiereply 2802/13/2013

[quote]Don't aquarium tanks have lids? I can't picture the crab (with or without shell?) scooting up the side of a glass tank. But this happens?

My brother used to keep some fish [just standard pet store fare, like goldfish, angelfish, neon tetras, etc], and for a while he also had a really cool small lobster. It was BLUE!

What's really weird is that friggin lobster used to escape the tank about once a week! Have no clue how, it is a complete myster.

One night, the stupid thing went on walkabout again, and when my brother got up to go to the bathroom in the dark -- crunch! Bye-bye, Bluey!

by Hermiereply 2902/13/2013

In captivity the hermit crab lives on sand or gravel, with a water bowl in the tank for drinking. They also like things to climb on.

by Hermiereply 3002/13/2013

They're like the aliens in PROMETHEUS when they get out.

He's in you, OP. Laying eggs.

by Hermiereply 3102/13/2013

so will someone please clear up the confusion around how the hermit crabs are housed? if they are not in tanks, are they just in some sort of indoor sandbox? or do they just just roam around freely? do they get some kind of locked room for themselves?

by Hermiereply 3202/13/2013

r32, since Google seems to be back up again, here is an info link.

They are land animals who need water, but don't live in it.

by Hermiereply 3302/13/2013

by Hermiereply 3402/13/2013

Do you just leave the shells in their natural state or do you do something special with them, like cloisonne?

by Hermiereply 3502/13/2013

Aw, I miss my hermit crabs!

by Hermiereply 3602/13/2013

If I had hermit crabs, I would fill their tank with silly items for them to move into, like beer cans, prescription pill bottles, and so on.

by Hermiereply 3702/13/2013

r37, do you smoke pot?

I have this vision of a toked out queen who has an endless fascination with his crabs in their little world.

by Hermiereply 3802/13/2013

He is in a hut festooned with prayer flags, atop a steep slope in Tibet, studying and living the Dharma.

by Hermiereply 3902/14/2013

Wow, I had no idea that hermit crabs were so deep R39. I'm humbled.

by Hermiereply 4002/14/2013

[quote]I keep mine in a hermitage.

Hello, fello Kingdom of Loathing player!

by Hermiereply 4102/14/2013

Now this would be my pet of choice.

by Hermiereply 4202/14/2013

A lot of you bitches ar high as hell.

by Hermiereply 4302/18/2013

OP here, forgot about this thread until now, I had no idea it had so many responses.

Mine are in a glass tank, with a lid, so I have no idea how the little Houdini could've possibly gotten out. I wondered if the others ate him too, but his shell would've been left behind, right? Still mystified.

They're actually kind of funny little creatures. One time I put a little broccoli in their food dish and the next day they had covered it up with a sponge, like "get this shit OUT." They love peanut butter.

They seem really curious. When there's something new around, or you hold them, they wiggle their little antennas like they're trying to figure it out. Mainly they make me laugh because they have no face, just big ol' eyes.

by Hermiereply 4402/19/2013

[quote]I wondered if the others ate him too, but his shell would've been left behind, right?

So is one of the little fellas who was previously seen in a pleather jacket now wearing something suspiciously plush?

by Hermiereply 4502/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!