Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Living in DC

Many of the posters on the "Cities I've Lived In" thread mentioned that Washington, DC was one of their favorite places.

What did you like about living in DC? What did you dislike?

I'm an offer to relocate to DC for work and am curious about what it's like to live there.

by Anonymousreply 8502/20/2013

I lived in DC for 4 years. It truly is a beautiful city. However, that being said, it is total dulls-ville. It is a one industry town (e.g. everything revolves around politics). It's all about what's happening on the Hill and who you know. Yawn. It can feel at times like a bit of a sleepy city with the streets rolling up at 11pm. In terms of the guys, there is a ton of dreck. It's funny because I can usually spot a DC gay guy anywhere at this point; they have a look. The gay scene sucks in my opinion. It's pretty stagnant. When I think of DC , I also think of straight guys in khakis and girls wearing pearls. There is a bit of a uniform. DC is a place where fashion goes to die. If you're a foodie, there are some decent restaurants, but none are really truly great and many are really tired as they've been around for decades. DC is not dynamic in that sense. And, finally, most of the actual city is crime ridden due to white flight to the burbs. There are some nice neighborhoods, but this can be a pretty dangerous place (just google crime DC). Oh, and since DC was essentially built on a swamp, summers are brutally hot and humid. Net-net, DC is a nice place to visit, but a marginal place to live.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

What's the best gay gym?

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

R1 posting from 2002.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

Great theater scene in DC, if you like that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

Vida is the best gay gym. U St or 15h St. Both have sizable gay crowds.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

Is Vida a really cruisy gym? Or is Results cruisier?

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

You were generous R3. I'd say that R1 was posting via his Way Back Time Machine from 1985. Roll up the streets at 11:00? Stagnant scene? Mediocre restaurants? Not even close to accurate. And then there is this:

[quote]And, finally, most of the actual city is crime ridden due to white flight to the burbs.

An accurate statement -- for 1978. The city is now constantly adding thousands of new residents. And, it has been a complete reversal of the "white-flight" from the 1960s. Most of the people moving into the city are in the 21 to 35 age bracket. There has been an amazing rehabilitation of previously abandoned neighborhoods. The murder rate -- which used to be horrendous -- last year was at its lowest level since the early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

The problem with DC is that so many people here are careerist douchebags who are more impressed with who you know, than who you are. That is something that in DC, will never change. The food scene gets total snaps though.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

I loved getting finger-banged on the red line!

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

The increase in crime in DC in the 70's was more due to "black flight" than "white flight." After the 1969 riots, most well-to-do blacks moved to the suburbs as it became possible for them to live wherever they liked after the civil rights laws of the 60s came into effect.

DC is unlike any other city in America. It is the most educated city in the country. Only Boston & San Francisco come close. This bothers some people. I like it.

Public transportation is very good. Not as good as Paris, but good.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

Agree with r1 about the gay scene. It sucks. No variety. You go to the leather bar, the twink bar, the strip club or the bear happy hour and it's all the same crowd. Lots of drugs. And very, very cliquey. But also a lot of married visitors looking for cock if that's your thing.

That said, I love the city. It's pretty, clean, walkable, bikeable, safe (as long as you're smart, like any other city), every band I want to see stops here, great beer bars and restaurants. Easy enough to get to other cities where the gay scene is more diverse, so, not a dealbreaker for now.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

I grew up on Capitol Hill so it was a like a city and a small town in one. Everybody knew everybody, because we all grew up together.

When I started high school I made friends who lived in DC's surrounding suburbs and they were so isolated by comparison. And extremely white bread, too.

DC was poorly integrated and there was A LOT of racial tension and you had to be careful. Danger could vary from block to block, but you just learned to run! Everybody got beat up at least once, but compared to NYC it was a lot safer.

I don't know even know why entirely, but I loved growing up there. It was a fun city.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

When moving to a large city, study the neighborhoods, because there are dozens of totally different neighborhoods in DC and some will be what you want, others won't be.

The gayest neighborhoods in DC are Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, and Capital Hill, but there are gays everywhere across DC, and suburbs like Takoma Park, Bethesda & Arlington have lots of gays, too.

If you can live near a Metro (subway) station, your life will be easier. DC's Metro is terrific, but right now lots of station elevators are being replaced so there are temporary inconveniences at some stations.

Rent is expensive in DC. And even out in the suburbs it's not any better, so I recommend living in the heart of the city. You can be a part of things much more easily if you live close-in. Suburbs are nice but you will spend so much time commuting. Commutes in DC are even longer than in LA, so you really want to live in DC, not in a suburb. The sole exception I'd make to this is Bethesda, which is especially nice & has a lot of activity for a suburb.

I prefer living in the Dupont Circle & Logan Circle areas. It is pleasanmt, pretty, diverse, international, and has good grocery stores. Plus you can walk to the subway, your doctor, your dentist, your drug store, etc. Very convenient. Capital Hill has its charms but the homeless population and beggars there are overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

It's Capitol Hill, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

I've lived in the District and 'burbs since the late 1970s when I came here for college. I went away to Ann Arbor for graduate school, and returned.

Things I like about DC: the art scene remains strong, multitudes of ethnic restaurants, very walkable, pretty good Metro system. The food scene has really improved in the past decade. I also like it that nearly everyone is from somewhere else and that thousands cycle in/out with each change in administration. I also liked it that many of the 'arrivals' were very intelligent; DC has one of the highest education rates per capita (higher percentage of people with graduate/professional degrees than any other US city). I've always found intelligence and wit to be one of the sexiest things about a man.

In my 30+ years in town, I've enjoyed living in the Cleveland Park, Dupont, Arlington Courthouse, and Alexandria Del Rey areas in particular.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

My friend lives in Dupont Circle and loves it, but calls the nearest grocery store the Soviet Safeway and says you have to know the delivery schedule for their suppliers or a trip with your handcart is a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

I lived in Annapolis for a few years and another year in Bethesda. Then I lived right in the middle of DC for about a year. Beautiful city full of history and culture. It is an international city with visitors and workers from all over the world .Museums and special events abound. I am sure there is good food there, I don't recall any. Maybe even lots of not so good food. I worked just inside DC near Bethesda. My Bethesda apartment was 1.5 miles away. I got off work at 5pm and it often took an hour to get home.I am a country boy and maybe many cities are like that but I would never subject myself to that kind of traffic again. Very expensive and if you have to drive for a housing you can afford, not a good thing. DC is a swamp and the summer weather is the worst I have encountered. Weeks of 100 degree 100% humidity. In the winters you can be subjected to every shitty thing the cold months have to offer although it is not a constant. On balance, great place to be for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

Beautiful city.

Bring your own friends, because it will be hard to make any here.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

If you want to make friends you have to be somewhat of an extrovert, lots of socially inept people here but on the plus side, you will be a huge hit with even a middling personality.

I moved her in 1995, I hated it, not a good restaurant in the mid-range to be found anywhere here in the Nation's Capitol!! Then things changed big time over the last 10 years. It has been quite incredible but now it's crowded- our population is said to be growing by 1K people or more a month- there are more straights, less defined gay areas and screaming girls packing all the restaurants. At least there is a large selection of decent low-mid range restaurants now, much more to do it seems but I kind of miss my sleepy city. I guess you can't have everything.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

{quote]Nation's Capitol

*Nation's Capital

You bitches are doing this to kill me, right?

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

I lived in the suburbs and worked in DC from 1978-1987. While I enjoyed it, I couldn't stand the summers (humidity) or the winters (cold, snow.) But I guess it depends on what you're accustomed to. When I moved there, I had never been farther east than Reno, NV, so it was a surprise to me. (Born and raised in Northern California.)

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

I was there for a work assignment for a year. There was so much to do that I went out every night.

World class entertainment venues are all over, including the Kennedy Center, National Theatre, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Wolftrap, Barns at Wolftrap, Carter Barron Amphitheatre, etc. Plenty of free concerts by military symphonic bands. Amazing art galleries. History everywhere you look. National Symphony Orchestra. Washington Opera.

World class restaurants -- food for and from every nationality. Go out to dine after 9 so you don't run into people like R1.

Candlelight tours of various museums and historic sites. Hiking trails.

Weather - heat in summer is horrendous. Frigid winds sweeping down the Mall in winter can knock you over.

I lived on Capitol Hill - easy access to gay bars. Hunky Marines from the nearby Marine Barracks were often available for some fun, too. Now that DADT, is gone, they're probably more available.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

DC is a charming little town. Parts of it are extremely dodgy but you could say that about any American city.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

I spent about three years working in DC ('04 - '07) but never lived there. I was doing a commute from California, which is only to say I didn't have much need to build a life there.

For the most part I was impressed. Decent city with lots to do. I loved running and biking in DC. As for the weather, I thought it was pleasantly mild (and I'm born and raised in LA). Winters were only cold enough for a nice gorgeous snow, but it would always warm up and melt quickly. Summers were hot, but... well, it was summer, so nothing unexpected, and hardly unbearable. For the most part, I thought it was great city for being outdoors all year.

The few times I bothered to socialize were also ok. People were friendlier than I expected and I loved the brainy vibe of the town. I am sure DC is crawling with jerks, but I can't really say I had any bad experiences.

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

The great thing about DC is the HOT summer is really only 6 weeks. You get a couple of weeks in July and all of August pretty much that is unbearable but then September comes and you are ready for it! It's not the best weather but at least it feels like summer, unlike Seattle or SF where it always feels like fall. The winter are always broken up with mild streaks which is also nice but it is surprising windy in wintertime. I hate wind.

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

R25 is racist and most of what she says is not true. The metro is fine, crawling out of the cars in smoke? WTF are you going on about? I have met some great black people and some not so great. Same with white people, there just happen to be more blacks. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

subway system which has stalls on the tracks and people need to be rescued

subway system which doesn't have enough cars in each train so people are packed in conditions not fit for humans

very long escalators going down into the subway system (and up) are often not working - literally stranding the passengers wanting to get down to the subway or forcing passengers to walk long distances up the escalators

unbelievable traffic gridlock all over the city - often taking forever to get anywhere and never having any assurance that you will get anywhere on time -

extremely frustrating traffic gridlock which destroys quality of life

and yes, there has been smoke and darkness in the subway where passengers had to escape or be rescued

people with murderous intent and murderous souls who run over pedestrians with the city buses and subway engineers who run over subway track workers on the tracks just because they don't want to slow down

dirty, gritty air pollution - very bad for the lungs (thick toxic particles and traffic fumes in the air in the downtown area)

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

DC has extremely high rents and it is not unusual to find really dumpy, crummy apartments or very small apts with very high rents.

It can be fun to try DC for a while, but it is not a place you would want for long term.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

Trying to start over so I would appreciate recommendations. Culture, good colleges, not over the top expensive. I wish I could afford NYC but out of my range . Used to live in DC and loved it. TY

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

Minimum wage jobs and almost all service jobs are held by black people in DC.

So you find that black people are serving white people in almost all instances and it makes for racial tension and resentment, and a strange throwback to an earlier era that still prevails in DC.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

Pros: Easy to meet people due to the constant influx of new people coming for career reasons; walkable; great restaurants; smart and involved citizens; parks are very beautiful; free museums; efficient and clean public transport.

Cons: People never "stay" here -- no sense of hometown pride; it's wonky and one-note careerwise (everyone seems to be a lawyer or a lobbyist); it's very segregated; the suburbs are some of the dreariest cookie-cutter places I've ever seen--beige condo upon beige condo; no sense of edginess (fashion or otherwise); the city shuts down when one drop of snow falls and can't pull itself together for a week.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

R32 hasn't a clue.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

My brother lives in the area (he stayed after he attained his MS from Georgetown) and he's a nerdy introverted type with a government contractor job, so you'd think he'd be a good fit, but he HATES a lot of the people there. Very Type-A environment where every overachiever from High School you can think of flocks to the area. It's nicknamed "Hollywood for ugly people," and the description is quite apt. It's all about who you know, what you do, and what you can do for them. That's not unusual in most major cities, but they're a lot more blatant about it (at the end of the day, a lot of people in DC are socially awkward nerds) and more "live to work" than even the most workaholic New Yorker. Not an easy area to make friends as the area is quite transient. Lots of people stay for a few years until they either burn out or get to move to NYC/Boston/wherever the hell they came from like they wanted to in the first place.

Some poster either on here or on another site said "Think of Reese Witherspoon's character in "Election" and multiply it by 200,000 and you have a general idea of what people can be like in DC." From my experience, the non-profit crowd is a lot more easy-going than the attorney/lobbyist/politics crowd.

Whenever I visit, I notice the segregation in some areas quite a bit, and I live in Atlanta for fucks sake! I do notice that blacks in the area are either very, very hood, or very, very educated/well-to-do types, and those two crowds do not mix, so there is a lot of intra-racial tension. Believe it or not, some of the suburbs seemed more integrated to me (outside of Prince Georges County, Maryland, which is mostly black) than DC itself.

Lots of outdoor activities, you're close to the Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis is LOVELY and lots of cute guys at the naval academy), and the Mountains are to the west. The district itself can be quite beautiful in the spring and fall, and while it gets hot and humid in the summer, it's not as swampy as Florida or Houston or New Orleans, nor does the heat last as long as it does down south. Lots of cultural events, but NYC or San Francisco this ain't, so don't expect some huge hipster scene there. It's not as meat-and-potatoes as Chicago, but it's not as cosmopolitan as NYC. 4-hour megabus ride or 3-hr train ride from DC.

And yes, it's very expensive. A 1-BR in a decent area will cost you at least $1200 a month in more popular areas of town. I know people there well into their 30's who are sharing houses in order to split the rent. Salaries are high there to cover the cost of living, but housing takes out a huge chunk of expenses. There are people who commute from as far as West Virginia in order to find cheaper housing. I-95 in Northern Virginia and I-270 in the Maryland Suburbs are both huge clusterfucks during rush hour, and the Beltway can be nightmarish in and of itself. So the closer you are to your job, the better off you will be.

I don't know much about the gay scene there because I'm usually there for family reasons, but Nellie's on U Street (which has a lot of bars and clubs and good restaurants) seemed decent, but most of the gay scene is over in Dupont Circle. There is Ziegfield's over by the baseball stadium if you're into naked men stripping. Adams-Morgan is another cool neighborhood worth checking, as well as Logan Circle and Columbia Heights. The H Street Northeast corridor is re-gentrifying, but still use caution in that particular area.

In addition to Bethesda, Silver Spring is another good close-in Maryland suburb. If you prefer the Virginia side, there's Old Town Alexandria, and the string of dense neighborhoods along Lee Highway in Arlington that run along the Orange Line Metro (which is a viable option if your job is in Tysons Corner or Reston). It's a bit more whitebread than the District or many parts of Maryland, but lots of people prefer that, so I put it out there.

The "famous" Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated and made my colon do the cha-cha slide and cupid shuffle, so avoid it like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

R29 you lazy ass, try walking or taking a bike share sometimes, a'ight?

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

I live in DC and it really does have a lot going for it, with one notable exception: The people.

I'm from the Midwest and I find people in DC to be unabashedly rude, racist, sexist, flakey, and just generally self-involved. I can't wait to move somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

I taken from DC threads over the years that it like hell to live there if you aren't wealthy. And most guys I meet that are DMV natives are assholes. The city and region has taken all positive attributes from their personalities.

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

DC is 90% Black. Yes, some are good, some bad, like anyone else. But the fact is it is 90% Black, so if that makes you uncomfortable you won't like DC.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

R39 is a fucking moron. As of the 2010 census, the city of Washington DC is 50.7% black and has actually been falling since the 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

R23 is a dumb cunt. DC is NOT known for its food scene. Period.

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

I know that's what the census says, but I doubt that census takers received an accurate count in southeast DC and northeast DC.

Census takers often rely on residents of every housing unit to fill out a form accurately as far as how many people are living in each unit and return it to the government which is something poor or impoverished or low-income people are often not likely to do.

DC 'feels' like a city of 80 percent black people and black culture predominates.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

I'm pretty sure all reading have identified R42 as a troll and will subsequently ignore.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

R42... You just sound like you have issues with black people period. DC is no longer 80% black and anyone who really lives here knows that. You sound like you are just a negative person making (ass)umptions about things you really have no experience about. If you did then you would see how the neigborhoods are changing, how the landscape has changed.

And to the person who has an issue with the subway..same thing... you seem to being dealing with some sort of prejudice. The system is relatively clean, it has gotten more crowded with more people moving into the city. There are breakdowns, but that is too be expected with a system that is over 30 years old. Nothing happens on the trains that no other major metropolitan city does not experience, same goes with the areas of the city.

Most service employees run the gamut of the racial spectrum, though there are now more people of Latin and African descent, than there are African American.

So your fear-mongering is just a product of your small closed mind(s).

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2013

It's the same person, R44. Of course!!

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2013

Be thankful she hasn't called them ferals yet.

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

R35, a one-bedroom apartment in DC usually costs $1450 or $1600 or $1800 or $2000 or $2200 or $2400.

NOT $1200!!

especially if you want to live in a desireable neighborhood in a desireable building

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

Watch out for that hussy Sandra Clark, child. She doesn't even go to church.

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2013

sorry, desirable, not desireable

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2013

Yeah, I haven't seen a decent $1200 apartment in ages.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

My friend pays $1800 for a studio in Dupont Circle. I don't know why she doesn't just commute from Virginia or something. It may take more time but she'll save half what she's paying right now in rent each month.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

R44, I said that the city proper (not the suburbs) 'feels' like it is 80 percent black, NOT that it actually is 80 percent black.

And the very long subway escalators are often out of order, malfunctioning, and blocked off as unusable way too often, especially at certain stops.

And now apparently many of the subway elevators are now unavailable due to being replaced. DC takes literally years to make subway repairs and the breakdowns and malfunctions are well-known and frequent.

And people working in low paid jobs in DC and service jobs are almost all black people from DC, not africans from Africa. It creates racial tension.

There are some latins in the low paid jobs and service jobs.

And your comment about me having no experience in DC is wrong. I lived in DC for a good number of years - and that was recently.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

Many one bedroom apartments and studios around Dupont Circle were going for $2400 three years ago.

So I imagine they are quite a bit over $2400 by now.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

There's "tension" in your mind, R52.

Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

As any other city, DC has it's desirable and undesirable areas. As far as the gay population, I'm normally exposed to them in Rehoboth Beach, and they are easily recognizable (especially in groups where they huddle together). The first thing out of their mouth when meeting them is "what you do and where you work"?. This comes not only from those who have some status and feel they need to let you know, as well as the little shits that have no status but need to align themselves with others that do.

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

One example which illustrates how DC is sociologically is as follows.

In most of the very large law firms in DC with 275 to 400 lawyers in the DC offices, 85 or 90 percent of the secretaries are black.

You do not find this in other cities. (perhaps you might find it in Atlanta and Detroit)

And the lawyers are all white, except for one or two black lawyers at each large firm.

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

How have I been missing this great food scene? I had no idea we were a food town? Seriously, where do I need to be looking at on the Internet besides Yelp?

by Anonymousreply 5702/14/2013

Start here, r57:

by Anonymousreply 5802/14/2013

I lived there for many years and never bonded with the place. It has some beautiful aspects and some nice areas, even some nice people.

Mostly, though, it exerts an odd gravitational pull for certain sorts:

- the first of their families in some remote place to graduate from college and head off into the big, unknown world;

-the sycophants and power junkies whose trade is in measuring the worth of everyone else's title and value relative to their own advancement;

-self-important "do-ggoders" or "nonprofity types" (a new term thanks to those plumb boys who want donations and purchases of expensive baked goods to fund their chase after a solution to male-on-male infertility problem); they are all so very, very busy -- and bitchy and grand;

-the cogs in the ever-growing orbits of peripheral industries and consultancies (whose work could as easily be done working from home in Dubuque) but who "love being in the center of things"

-participating in one annual embassy tour or having once eaten goat and injera at some Ethiopian dive doesn't make one worldly; but one must gush constantly about what a diverse and international town it is.

If it's the self-congratulatory you seek, look no further, the town brims over with people patting themselves on the back for having made it (usually to the dark labyrinthine lower middle of a very compressed pyramid that spreads for miles and rises only a few inches.) Everyone thinks they are overpaid -- or maybe they just say that (repeatedly) to impress us with their self-deprecation.

The radical youth elements comes not from art schools but from those zany interns bucking for a leg up the ladder. Until fairly recently, the difference between the very richest and the very poorest was not so pronounced as many places -- however much a top lobbyist or lawyer made per hour and from partnership profits, it never compared to industrial wealth, but the economy has expanded to include its share of technology and big business money, which neither improves nor worsens the place, just makes it more like every place else. For all of the historic architecture and historic association, its a place of great impermanence and fluidity but little dynamism. There are almost no old families, old money, old standards (for good or bad). Splash down $2.5M for a nice townhouse and hang framed college posters of ballet shoes on the builder what walls, and leave the 6' x 9' patch of front lawn a rockpile of calcified dog turds and xmas tree branches -- that's D.C. Style.

It's better than it used to be, 10, 20, even 30 years ago, but all the worst bits about the place linger and despite wildly escalated real estate prices, a lot of once "up-&-coming" and now "desirable" neighborhoods still look scruffy.

by Anonymousreply 5902/14/2013

corrected - "builder white walls"

by Anonymousreply 6002/14/2013

[quote] My friend pays $1800 for a studio in Dupont Circle. I don't know why she doesn't just commute from Virginia or something. It may take more time but she'll save half what she's paying right now in rent each month.

You can't? I have lived in DC for decades now and I cannot imagine having to commute ever again. The convenience of living in the city and being able to step outside your door and have restaurants, drugstores, groceries, and almost everything you need within walking distance or a short bus or metro ride is what makes living easy.

I gave up my car years ago and except for a few instances when I needed to go to Home Depot or other expeditions into the hinterlands and the fact that I do miss driving, I love being car-free. People can save a lot by not owning a car - even though I paid cash for my last few cars and have garage parking in my condo - I still had transportation related expenses and parking in DC isn't cheap - neither is insurance. Especially for people without car payments not having a car can give you hundreds extra $$ each month.

The Metro is so clean compared to NYC that it is almost breathtaking. The crime rate is very low and I do know where the crime is in this city because this is what I do for a living.

I rarely have trouble with the escalators and my stop - Dupont - just installed new escalators at the South entrance - I don't recall any issues with the escalators at the North entrance during the entire time the South entrance was closed. Most of my other stops have been equally trouble free and that includes the travel to DC Jail on another line.

Even when I had a car rush hour is only hard for people who don't know how to properly navigate it. I would make a great taxi driver. I could be at the courthouse in 10 minutes from Georgetown in the morning.

I realize that some people might find this to be a negative but for me I love it when the rush hour is over or it's a weekend at certain times and Dupont Circle almost seems deserted. It's so peaceful and it's all mine.

I don't know anyone can complain about living in DC. It has enough of anything you could want and it is incredibly livable and in many ways beautiful. If you can't be happy here then you must have very specific needs.

Sorry - didn't mean to make that so long.

Now if the Redkins would just have the decency to change their awful name.

by Anonymousreply 6102/14/2013

My 1 Br/1 Ba 700 sq/ft luxury apartment in Arlington, VA costs $2,100 a month. I could be paying a mortgage for a McMansion in any other city :(

by Anonymousreply 6202/14/2013

Does DC feel like a northern or a southern city?

How far south do you have to go to be surrounded by southern rednecks?

by Anonymousreply 6302/14/2013

R63: DC feels like more of a northern city, than a southern city; however, once you're 50 miles outside the city in VA it feels pretty southern. Western MD also has a pretty southern feel to it.

by Anonymousreply 6402/14/2013

R63 - Go South of Fredericksburg on I-95, or head west on I-66 to I-81 or even some parts of Southern Maryland past Waldorf. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is pretty southern and "country" in parts too. North of DC/Baltimore is more of a northern redneck type of environment.

by Anonymousreply 6502/14/2013

[quote]being able to step outside your door and have...

You can do that in Takoma Park, Silver Spring, Rockville, Del Ray, etc.

[quote]The Metro is so clean compared to NYC that it is almost breathtaking.

This is usually greatly exaggerated by DC people. I've never seen an abnormally dirty NYC train, yet have had to stepped over plenty of puke pools on carpeted DC trains. And have seen enough mice and rats running around the platforms to know it's not clean.

And the Redskins suck and will suck regardless of whatever name they use.

by Anonymousreply 6602/14/2013

Allow me to be honest.

I have to live in DC for work but wish I was still in Chelsea.

Where should I rent?

by Anonymousreply 6702/14/2013

I think The Internet built DC in the last 10-15 years.

Now with the click of a button, people realized there are shitloads of relatively interesting, well-paying, stable, 9-5 hour jobs in DC.

All the smart people who can't do math and don't want to slave in an NYC law firm moved to DC.

by Anonymousreply 6802/14/2013

[quote] As of the 2010 census, the city of Washington DC is 50.7% black and has actually been falling since the 1990's.

Wow. Really? I've lived here a long time and I live in Georgetown so my residential world is majority white - except for the building staff and service personnel - but I am regularly all over this city traveling and visiting people and places. There is no neighborhood I haven't become very familiar with over the past few decades - from the absolute worst to the best.

While I realize that there haas been an influx of whites moving in with the redevelopment of a number of neighborhoods still this census figure surprises me. The court system is majority African American at almost all levels so maybe that gives me a skewered vantage but I still am doubtful of those figures.

Whatever it is I love my DC. When I need something different - beach living or a foreign adventure - I am lucky enough that I can arrange my work so I can take extended periods off and go where I want to go.

by Anonymousreply 6902/14/2013

R67, you might want to look at the U Street neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 7002/14/2013

[quote] I could be paying a mortgage for a McMansion in any other city :(

See I don't understand how anyone could want a McMansion in a suburban-like setting. Especially if you don't have a big or any family. But to each his own. All the effort that goes into maintaining a single family residence particularly a large one just gives me a headache. It's just endless. grew up with that and now thinking back I give my parents props for all their work and money spent on it. I have better things to do and my work life just doesn't allow endless hours to fritter away on a yard and home maintenance.

But a yard with a pool and pretty flowers to pick and play badminton on would be nice in an ideal world. Good luck in finding your dream.

by Anonymousreply 7102/14/2013

[quote] being able to step outside your door and have... Rockville

Rockville? Get serious. That is only a very small section. Same thing with Silver Spring and almost any DC suburban area. Someplaces don't even have sidewalks and are very pedestrian unfriendly.

It just seems to me if someone is going to complain about commuting then you need to arrange your life to eliminate it or diminish it. People who commute from far off places like West Virginia could easily find a perfectly suitable place to live in the immediate DC area. They go far out for other reasons than affordability.

Just stop exaggerating about Metro. It is not full of vomit or visible rats. How come I don't encounter these things and I have been using it practically every day for many years. The "crawling out of smokey tunnels" troll is a hoot. Though I will say even though this is an extemely rare occurrence over the life of the metro system those instances stay with you and make you want to be prepared so I almost always have a small flashlight in my bag just in case. I don't carry a gas mask though.

by Anonymousreply 7202/14/2013

[quote]Just stop exaggerating about Metro. It is not full of vomit or visible rats

I never said it's full of vomit. You're the one exaggerating in how rosy and perfect it is. If you haven't seen puke on the train, try riding it after midnight on a weekend night. And if you haven't seen rats running around, open your eyes. It comes from normal use - just like the NYC system will be dirtier because it gets more volume of people through it.

[quote]Rockville? Get serious.

Just sayin. If you need to be in the gay ghetto, that's one thing. You can get more space for your money and still have "restaurants, drugstores, groceries, and almost everything you need within walking distance or a short bus or metro ride." And I say that as someone living on Capitol Hill (but I got a sweet deal, so my place is pretty damn cheap for the city).

by Anonymousreply 7302/14/2013

That is rich. R73 who lives in inner-city Capitol Hill neighborhood which is close to everything or a short bus ride/subway trip away, suggests to others that they live in the suburbs including Rockville, Tacoma Park, or Bethesda.

R72, very few people commute from West Virginia to DC to work.

A million from Virginia, yes, but very few from West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 7402/14/2013

R74 - Don't forget the millions of people who commute TO Virginia from Maryland. Including quite a few from DC. Virginia has a reputation more business-friendly than Maryland (though a lot of government offices and the biomedical industry and a few corporate HQ's are in the MD suburbs) and Tyson's Corner is a major employment center for the metro area. Reston and anything along Route 267 to Dulles is a major employment area too. I have a cousin who commutes from Waldorf/Ackokeek to Tyson's Corner/McLean and has to cross the Wilson Bridge. Damn near 2.5 hrs in traffic.

by Anonymousreply 7502/14/2013

[quote] try riding it after midnight on a weekend night.

You sound young and poor. Take a taxi.

by Anonymousreply 7602/14/2013

R76, you are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7702/14/2013

R77, seriously get a sense of humor if you're going to hang around here.

by Anonymousreply 7802/14/2013

If you think the Metro is full of vomit and rats, then you wouldn't last a second on the NYC subway.

by Anonymousreply 7902/14/2013

My friend who lives in a nice studio in Dupont Circle pays $2100/month for rent.

by Anonymousreply 8002/14/2013

DC doesn't have a good food scene. I don't miss living there.

by Anonymousreply 8102/15/2013

DC is where the ugly feel glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 8202/15/2013

I lived in DC for four years, I moved back to NYC last year. There's a lot I do like and I lot I don't like. Overall I found people to be a lot less friendly (yes, even compared to New Yorkers) and stand-offish and the atmosphere to be sort of cold. Especially the white people. It's pretty dull compared to New York, though there are things I do miss, like being able to drive to the "country" and visit farms, etc. I actually enjoyed that. Some good farmer's markets, too.

And I lived in Maryland, just over the DC line. The neighborhood I lived in was mostly hispanic but quickly getting "gentrified", complete with plans for a Whole Foods to open up.

by Anonymousreply 8302/15/2013

[quote]The court system is majority African American at almost all levels so maybe that gives me a skewered vantage but I still am doubtful of those figures.

I am not doubtful of those numbers at all R61/69. I've lived and worked in the city for 24 years, and the racial composition has changed dramatically since 1989. I moved to a neighborhood in DC near Takoma that was almost exclusively black, middle-class families. It has now become half black and half white. There are other areas nearer to downtown where the shift has been even more pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 8402/15/2013

R59 is you have trotted our every old stereotype. It is mostly bullshit but there is some truth to it. DC has changed quite a bit over the years and yes there is a food scene, any city with as much money flowing around as this town is going to have a decent food scene. And people, the first words out of the mouth of gays is NOT what do you do or who do you work for. Jesus. That is such a tired old stereotype. If anything people are more sensitive than ever NOT to ask that question. It may come up but it will come up organically and not to see what your status is. We are much more polite and conscious of how rude that question can seem.

by Anonymousreply 8502/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!