Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Marco Rubio Bombs in SOTU Rebuttal/2016 Audition

The problem with having to do the SOTU rebuttal is that you have to try to anticipate what will resonate in the president’s State of the Union. Marco Rubio and the GOP guessed wrong.

Sen. Rubio played up the whole, “look at me, I’m Hispanic” card, but beyond that he hit the Republican buzzwords about valuing life and free enterprise. Rubio immediately went off the rails by attacking Obama, and the Republicans completely guessed wrong by claiming that Obama’s solution was more taxes, more government, and more spending. In fact, Obama didn’t call for more government, but that didn’t stop the wrong track Republicans from putting poor Rubio out there to mouth the same old talking points. (Obamacare, check.)

If this is Rubio’s big 2016 audition, the Republican Party is in big trouble. Rubio played to the global warming deniers, the far right, and the Obama haters.

The suspicions of many were confirmed tonight. Marco Rubio isn’t being touted because he is a potentially great candidate with unique ideas. Sen. Rubio is a Sarah Palinesque attempt at courting the Hispanic vote in 2016. Rubio even name dropped Solyndra. The only thing missing from his rebuttal was a mention of Rev. Wright.

The Republican Party put a different colored face on their same old ideas, and they think the American people are dumb enough to fall for it. It didn’t work in 2008, and it won’t work in 2016. President Obama laid out a sweeping vision for our country, and the Republicans replied with ideas as old as George W. Bush, and attacks that were frankly, played out in the fall of 2008.

Poor Marco was so nervous and over-matched that he had to stop for a water break on live national television. Sen. Marco Rubio is not ready for prime time.

Any candidate who is saddled with the GOP’s terrible ideas is destined to fail.

If this is what the Republican Party has offer, Hillary Clinton should be measuring the drapes in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 23702/15/2013

from your keyboard to god's ears!!

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

Senator Rubio Has A WTF Moment With Water On Live Television

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

I'll admit in all fairness that I too like to drink a lot of water.

I just wear a better suit while doing it

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Somewhere, Bobby Jindal is smiling.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

Haven't they brainwashed the Republican faithful for years to be anti-immigrant? What makes them think they would vote for a Latino?

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

The writers at SNL are giddy.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

anyone have a clip of the water thing?

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

It was a strange moment in that he look TERRIFIED when he reached for the water. And that is what everyone will remember of the big Marco Rubio rebuttal: reaching for water.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

A lot of Latinos do not like him. He is a white Miami Cuban whose subgroup gets preferential treatment in the immigration game -- resented by other groups. He lied about his origins and they know about that too. He is a free market fanatic and the free market has not treated many Hispanics too well.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

Because they still don't know a lot about him R5. They won't respond to his bullshit and he doesn't compare to real rising latino political stars like the castro brothers.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

There's already a clip running on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

ha, I found it

he looks like a shifty late-night infomercial guy trying to sell you useless crap

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Not true, R5. We fucking HATE the Cubans.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

[quote]he looks like a shifty late-night infomercial guy trying to sell you useless crap

Kevin Trudeau for President!

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

He looks doughy and sounded whiny.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

What did you say, Nelson?

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

"Still a LOT of Latinos are beginning to like him."

Complete bullshit. As someone mentioned earlier, a lot of latinos refer to him as "el coco" (coconut). Brown on the outside and white on the inside.

The latino community isn't stupid. They know which side their bread is buttered on.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

JoeMyGod already has a clip of the Water Incident.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

Congrats, Marco Rubio. I thought only my father's drinking could make me feel that embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

The Cubans will never vote for someone named Castro.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

Some hispanic/latinos hold the perception that rich white Cubans are come mierdas.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

Horrible, but not surprising. He starts off talking about himself and how grateful he and his family are for the government programs they used. Then he goes on about how these programs are wasteful and destroying the economy. It's the typical Republican mantra, "I got mine, the rest of you can go fuck yourselves".

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

Rubio looked like an inept Ted Baxter whining and complaining...and then reaching for the water off camera.

As the Rev. Al Sharpton said, "Rubio was a day too early to give his speech; not Tuesday--but Wednesday is amateur night at the Apollo."

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

Oh dear, that was a complete debacle from message to messenger.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

[quote]Still a LOT of Latinos are beginning to like him.

Honey, you are more full of shit than a NASCAR port a potty.

And he is now going to be proof positive of everything that Latinos think about entitled but fuckup Cubans. It was on national television.

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2013

Did doughboy Rubio once again lie again and refer to his parents as "exiles" from Cuba when in fact they freely came to the U.S. almost three years before Castro took power?

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

Funny, R22. My husband just told me that Puerto Ricans *hate* Cubans. I never knew there was so much animosity between the two groups.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

You just GOTTA love the Internets...

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2013

[quote]The Cubans will never vote for someone named Castro.[/quote]

Uh, R21? The Cubans are a solid GOP voting bloc for the most part anyway and encompass a small part of the Latino voting constituency in this country. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2013

Cubans are not well liked by any other Hispanic group.

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2013

R30 This one is my favorite:

[quote]marcorubio is the LEAST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD... and he's thirsty, my friends.

by Anonymousreply 3302/12/2013

Latinos are very much a "for their own" sort. They hate latinos from countries other then their own and all think they are on the top of the heap.

by Anonymousreply 3402/12/2013

I am REALLY looking forward to learning how he paid off a $100,000 student debt in 14 years when "no one ever gave him anything" and Florida legislators don't even make $30,000 a year.

by Anonymousreply 3502/12/2013

Thank goodness it is a very small block, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3602/12/2013

R31 I don't think that's true anymore. Younger, more assimilated Cuban-Americans don't necessarily vote like their parents and grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 3702/12/2013

That was true in the past but it is changing R31, polls indicate that Obama actually managed to carry the Cuban vote.

The GOP needs to realize that just having a latino candidate(and yeah, especially cuban) is not going to attract latino voters. They need to change how they come across as a party.

Like David Gibbs I believe said, Rubio's speech was a Paul Ryan/Mitt Romney speech from the campaign trail basically. If they don't change anything they are going to lose again in a national election regardless of a Rubio wrapper.

by Anonymousreply 3802/12/2013

That water sipping is pure gold! But it's too good for SNL to pick up and make funny. They haven't done that in years.

by Anonymousreply 3902/12/2013

Which is why states with GOP governors are trying to fix elections.

by Anonymousreply 4002/12/2013

Hopefully, in a couple of years, Rubio will have flown to close to the sun and then crashed and burned.

He's Latino--BFD. Other than that, he's got nothing. Not ready for prime time.

by Anonymousreply 4102/12/2013

I kinda feel bad for him. He's not ready for that kind of exposure and responsibility to deliver the rebuttal speech. If he's their hope for 2016, they really are up shit creek with no paddle. Still, he's more likeable than Jindal and Bachmann.

He looked as though he was thrown out there against his will without any prep (i.e. don't stop your speech for a drink of water).

by Anonymousreply 4202/12/2013

[quote]Miami Cuban whose subgroup gets preferential treatment in the immigration game -- resented by other groups

Indeed! Mestizo immigrant mexicans I work with hate him. Priveledged, and condescending, they claim he can't speak Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 4302/12/2013

R31 the older Cubans, yes. The younger ones not so much. The older generation, the ones who's corruption and greed brought on the revolution are hated by the younger generation. There are a lot more younger ones than older, and as the last election showed us, they vote Dem.

by Anonymousreply 4402/12/2013

[quote]Latinos are very much a "for their own" sort. They

I find that they generally dislike "the other". The antilian hates the Mexican. The Mexican hates the Colombian.

by Anonymousreply 4502/12/2013

link.

SNL is going to have a field day with this.

Everyone agrees that this address killed his presidential aspirations. This is yet another person who was destroyed after giving their party's rebuttal.

The guy is such a twerp, and an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 4602/12/2013

IF he hadn't taken that drink of water, nobody would be talking about him.

Now he's tweeted a pic of it to show he has a sense of humor.

#watergate is all over twitter.

by Anonymousreply 4702/12/2013

Send him back to Cuba!

by Anonymousreply 4802/12/2013

[quote]That water sipping is pure gold! But it's too good for SNL to pick up and make funny. They haven't done that in years.

You must be on crack.

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2013

Say what? He awkwardly reached for water off-camera while he bitched about me?

If you can't stand the heat dear, then stay out of our kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 5002/13/2013

He may be smarter than Sarah Palin, though. He only attended three colleges in search of a bachelor's degree.

by Anonymousreply 5102/13/2013

[quote]#watergate is all over twitter.

I meant #waterbreak

by Anonymousreply 5202/13/2013

Plump, shrill, losing his hair. Whines about Obama, who rightly pointed out that the GOP wants to roll back regulations and destroy the safety net.

by Anonymousreply 5302/13/2013

Hilarious! Marco Rubio isn't giving any sort of rebuttal, he's totally giving his FIRST CAMPAIGN speech of the 2016 election! How clever!

by Anonymousreply 5402/13/2013

[quote]Uh, [R21]? The Cubans are a solid GOP voting bloc for the most part anyway and encompass a small part of the Latino voting constituency in this country. Fuck 'em.

Obama actually won the Cuban vote in 2012. It's all changing.

by Anonymousreply 5502/13/2013

Smooth. He looks like an eight grader giving his first ever oral report in front of a class.

by Anonymousreply 5602/13/2013

The winning entry tonight for #rubiofilms on Twitter has got to be Zero Dark Thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 5702/13/2013

1. He is NOT a Latino. I have taught Latinos for years.

Latinos do not consider Cubans "Latino" and vice versa. In fact, Cubans are a separate designation on a census form. They are not, repeat not, in the same category--and they like to remind you of that fact. They look down on Latinos in general, and detest Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Mexicans in particular.

2. The Spanish is not the same. Talk to any Latino. The way Cubans speak Spanish is very different. Imagine a Scottish brogue or a Liverpuddlian accent and you get the idea.

3. If you are a Cuban, you get a LOT of big government benefits that others do not have. For example, you can get citizenship in one year.

by Anonymousreply 5802/13/2013

"Water-gate" Good one!

Those Internets people crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 5902/13/2013

Hey, don't insult eight-graders!!!

My nephew just won second place in his school districts' science fair.

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

Mexicans resent the fact that a lot of Spanish-language media in this country is Cuban (and originates in Miami), despite the fact that Mexicans FAR outnumber Cubans.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

Yeah, R61.

My mama refuses to watch any of that shit on Telemundo and Univision.

Especially those third-rate crap novelas. Nevermind that most are reruns from old Mexican novelas.

She can't stand Don Francisco.

We only watch the Hottie on the news, Jorge Ramos, who interestingly enough is Mexican :)

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

Looks like Fred Armisen has finally found his Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

R62 Jorge Ramos - Requete guapo!

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

R49 you've proven my point with your Sarah Palin reference. That was over 4 years ago and that's the best SNL reference you could find? That period of time would fit my definition of years since SNL was funny.

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

[quote] Sen. Rubio played up the whole, “look at me, I’m Hispanic” card, but beyond that he hit the Republican buzzwords about valuing life and free enterprise

I hope he keeps that up. Repugs hate Hispanics. If he wants to run for president and keeps playing the Hispanic card. They're never going to vote for a dem, but it will guarantee a lot of them would stay home and not vote

by Anonymousreply 6602/13/2013

Wasn't he going to give the speech in Spanish? Was it this Cuban Spanish you're all speaking of?

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2013

R13, I noticed that there are already about half a dozen clips of the 'water incident'! Looks like that one moment could overshadow everything for him.

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2013

There is nothing to "overshadow". Not only is that moment amusing, but it completely sums up the speech, it was amateur hour.

by Anonymousreply 6902/13/2013

Another version of the clip:

by Anonymousreply 7002/13/2013

How long until he gets an endorsement deal with Poland Springs?

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013

Why did he do that?

by Anonymousreply 7202/13/2013

Rookie mistake. Opening night jitters. Flop sweat.

by Anonymousreply 7302/13/2013

I'd fuck him-but leave him

by Anonymousreply 7402/13/2013

One more version here:

by Anonymousreply 7502/13/2013

White Cubans do no think of themselves as Hispanics. They think of themselves as Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 7602/13/2013

Why didn't the idiot Latino doughboy just have a glass of water sitting there on the desk beside him? There's no shame in taking a drink of water, but he even fucked up that simple act by having it off-camera. Douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 7702/13/2013

[quote]White Cubans

Those are the only kind we acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 7802/13/2013

[quote]Let’s All Watch Marco Rubio’s Panicked Drink Of Water In Extreme Slow Motion

by Anonymousreply 7902/13/2013

Water? Ha! I know Vodka when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 8002/13/2013

It was so funny that Rubio tried to keep his eye on the camera and not look away while reaching for the water. He looked foolish as usual.

by Anonymousreply 8102/13/2013

Well, at least Piyush had a nice Mardi Gras. Maybe he even found the baby in the King Cake.

by Anonymousreply 8302/13/2013

No class...gulping from a water bottle in the middle of his introduction to the American people.

Adios, motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 8402/13/2013

CNN's Wolf Blitzer said "uh oh" when Rubio reached for the water:

by Anonymousreply 8502/13/2013

This was the official Republican response, presumably staffed by the RNC. Is it possible this teaparty darling was set up by the professionals of the establishment?

The speech written for him 1) should have anticipated some of the actual points in the SOTU address and framed common-sense responses and 2) focused on attracting new people with ideas, not talking to the base.

It would be hilarious if we learned some Karl Rove acolyte was handing him water below camera range, gesturing, "Here, here."

by Anonymousreply 8602/13/2013

When do we get Nate Silver's analysis of Agua-Gate?

by Anonymousreply 8702/13/2013

There are many Latin American whites who would prefer to think of themselves are "European." If they speak Spanish, they're Hispanic (hispanic, by its very definition, means Spanish speaking).

And Cubans are Latino. That's not even debatable. And yes, Cubans have a different accent in Spanish. So do Spaniards from Mexicans, and Colombians, etc.

Regardless, Rubio is not well liked in the Latino/a community. He may do well with Cuban-American voters, and budge the rest of Hispanics a smidge, but the GOP will not suddenly win over Latinos by nominating Rubio. Like Jews, blacks and gays, Latinos are becoming an entrenched group for the Dems, and I don't see that reversing.

by Anonymousreply 8902/13/2013

[quote]Like David Gibbs I believe said, Rubio's speech was a Paul Ryan/Mitt Romney speech from the campaign trail basically.

David Gibbs? Do you mean David Gergen?

by Anonymousreply 9002/13/2013

I just saw a clip of the water drinking. Pretty embarrassing. He didn't just drink, you can hear the "gulp." He ducks under, grabs a bottle, takes a swig and gulps. Right in the middle of trying to make a point, Rubio? Really!

Didn't he learn anything from Paul Ryan and his water fetish at the VP debate? That's really the only thing memorable about Ryan at the debate. He kept drinking water.

Like Jindal, Rubio is just not ready for primetime.

by Anonymousreply 9102/13/2013

r58/ranger has lost his mind.

by Anonymousreply 9202/13/2013

Even the Wall Street Journal has the clip up:

by Anonymousreply 9302/13/2013

Who knew he was into watersports?

by Anonymousreply 9402/13/2013

"And I keep this water bottle near me at all times to remind me of the 90 miles of open sea my parents had to endure to make sure that I would be raised in a land of liberty!"

by Anonymousreply 9502/13/2013

I'm pretty sure Poll Troll will be around in the next few days to tell us the match-up between Rubio and HRC in FL.

I have to applaud those of you who actually watched the rebuttal. You are brave people.

by Anonymousreply 9602/13/2013

It's easy to say that all the young Cubans are not like that, but he is in that same target range and someone voted him into office.

So I said it before and I will say it again. I will be very nervous Rubio runs for office and we don't have a strong candidate from the democratic side.

by Anonymousreply 9702/13/2013

"If this is what the Republican Party has offer, Hillary Clinton should be measuring the drapes in the White House."

That's Bill's job.

by Anonymousreply 9802/13/2013

Rubio, Ted Cruz, etc. The GOP has a lot of rising Latino stars and they want the Latinos to vote for them. While YES Latinos are entrenched in the Dems - that is for right now.

If you think about it, they are honestly a much more conservative group & are not with a lot of D/left princples, and rather lean more R/right on the issues.

I think if Mitt had chosen Marco Rubio for his running mate instead of Ryan & there hadn't been that natural disaster Mitt would be in there right now.

by Anonymousreply 9902/13/2013

Over at 30 Rock, Bobby Moynihan just smiled, realizing he'll be steadily employed on SNL for the next 4 years...

and somewhere else, Horatio Sanz weeps into his beer.

by Anonymousreply 10002/13/2013

[quote] I think if Mitt had chosen Marco Rubio for his running mate instead of Ryan & there hadn't been that natural disaster Mitt would be in there right now.

Your thought process is totally removed from reality, R99. Even I know that.

by Anonymousreply 10102/13/2013

I have read all 97 post and I am the first to ask what is it with his ears? They are HUGE

by Anonymousreply 10202/13/2013

R99 has a point. Hispanics do lean more conservative out of the Dems. Very Very Very religious, Catholic culture. That is actually growing, which is why all the Pope talk about getting a Hispanic into that roll.

by Anonymousreply 10302/13/2013

Doesn't look good:

by Anonymousreply 10402/13/2013

A deer caught in the headlights.

We won't be seeing much of him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10502/13/2013

R104. Rubio looks like he's running for senior class president.

by Anonymousreply 10602/13/2013

He needs a new weave.

by Anonymousreply 10702/13/2013

Rand Paul's response is on the main page of Google News; Rubio isn't even mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 10802/13/2013

[quote]he looks like a shifty late-night infomercial guy trying to sell you useless crap

That sounds like the GOP to me.

by Anonymousreply 10902/13/2013

Hmmm, Aaron Schock's turquoise belt and never giving same sex marriage a thought. Doughboy Rubio's deer-in-the-headlights grasp for the water bottle. Mitt Romney liking the height of the trees in Michigan. Lindsey Graham on just about everything, etc., etc.

And the Repugs hits just keep on coming.

by Anonymousreply 11002/13/2013

I'm sick of the unsubstantiated and demonstably false meme that Latinos are more conservative than other democrats on social issues. What's the basis for this damnable LIE?

by Anonymousreply 11102/13/2013

As it stands Hillary would wipe the floor with him, but if she makes one of the Castro boys VP, it is a certifiable lock, and the Repubs would lose any latino voters Rubio managed to gain.

The presidency is already hers, that would just make it a sweeter victory.

by Anonymousreply 11202/13/2013

[quote]Rubio looks like a shifty late-night infomercial guy trying to sell you useless crap.

One of the best lines of this entire thread. HA!

by Anonymousreply 11302/13/2013

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 11402/13/2013

R112, we have to wait and see if Hillary is actually running first.

by Anonymousreply 11502/13/2013

John Boehner is incredibly relieved: someone else in the GOP has a drinking problem.

by Anonymousreply 11602/13/2013

"The 2012 exit poll also found more Hispanic voters (59%) supporting gay marriage in their state than opposing it (32%). This also comports with the latest trends in Pew Research Center surveys of Hispanics nationwide. In the 2012 National Survey of Latinos conducted by the Pew Hispanic Center, 52% of Hispanics were in favor of allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally, while 34% were opposed. In both 2006 and 2009, opposition to gay marriage had exceeded support by wide margins among Hispanics."

by Anonymousreply 11702/13/2013

The Sham Wow guy has more TV confidence.

But more like THIS version

by Anonymousreply 11802/13/2013

"It has often been said that Latino voters are socially conservative although they may lean more progressively on issues like immigration and access to education. This line of thought probably goes back to the Reagan years when he said: “Hispanics are already Republican. They just don’t know it yet.” Many Latinos are Roman Catholic or belong to evangelical churches, so the assumption that they are pro-life makes sense on its surface." Latinos support a woman’s right to make decisions. [....] 74% of Latino registered voters agree that a woman has a right to make her own personal, private decisions about abortion without politicians interfering. Latinos don’t think we should judge other women’s decisions. 73% of Latino registered voters agree that we should not judge someone who feels they are not ready to be a parent. 57% strongly agrees with this statement. Latinos are supportive of close friends and family members choosing abortion. 67% of Latino voters say they would give support to a close friend or family member who had an abortion. 43% say they would provide a lot of support. Only 23% says they would not feel comfortable offering support. Latinos don’t think money should determine access to abortion. 61% agree that the amount of money a woman has or does not have should not determine whether she could have an abortion when she needs one. Latinos are willing to disagree with church leaders. 68% agree with the statement “even though church leaders take a position against abortion, when it comes to the law, I believe it should remain legal.”

by Anonymousreply 11902/13/2013

Hillary is running. She is virtually guaranteed the presidency, and to go down in history as the first woman to be president.

There is no way she will walk away from that, not from guaranteeing this country 8 more years of Democratic leadership after Obama.

The only way she would walk away that is if she had a health concern, or if she truly wanted to retire to spend time with possible grandchildren. I do not believe it is the later though, I think I'd she planned to retire from public office altogether, she would have remained as Secretary of State for the second term.

by Anonymousreply 12002/13/2013

R100, Bobby Moynihan won't be playing Rubio, it'll definitely be Fred Armisen. He even looks like him a little. He'll need a bit of padding, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 12102/13/2013

R121. It would be funnier if SNL's Bobby Moynihan played Rubio--and not Fred Armisen. By having Moynihan, SNL would bbe giving a dig to Rubio's doughboy frame. Plus Moynihan's facial expressions grabbing for the water would be much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 12202/13/2013

Really, what are you all talking about? He nailed it! He nailed it to the cross!!

by Anonymousreply 12402/13/2013

R123, Rubio also stumbles over his words

by Anonymousreply 12502/13/2013

What on earth possessed him to drink water during an important speech like that? Very dumb move, it's the only thing anyone will remember now. So much for him being the "savior" of the GOP, they're SCREWED.

by Anonymousreply 12602/13/2013

TIME magazine must be so embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 12702/13/2013

Our lord and savior Jesus Christ on the cross looked less awkward--and less thirsty than that douchebag savior Rubio.

by Anonymousreply 12802/13/2013

Tumblr is hilarious.

Here's a mock Time Magazine cover, you know, the one that named him the Republican Savior last week.

by Anonymousreply 12902/13/2013

r130 = Freeper

by Anonymousreply 13102/13/2013

[quote]I just saw a clip of the water drinking. Pretty embarrassing. He didn't just drink, you can hear the "gulp." He ducks under, grabs a bottle, takes a swig and gulps. Right in the middle of trying to make a point, Rubio? Really!

He also licked his lips a couple time and wiped his tongue/mouth with his hand before reaching for the water. Really, very gauche!

He definitely was very nervous. Dry mouth is a tell-tale sign of nervousness/stress.

by Anonymousreply 13202/13/2013

He couldn't handle one speech, the biggest speech of his entire political career. Bobby Jindal all over again.

by Anonymousreply 13302/13/2013

Liars get thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 13402/13/2013

why was the bottle so tiny? it was a baby bottled water. or is he just really huge?

by Anonymousreply 13502/13/2013

You know that furtive,hyper-alert look an animal gets when it's feeding but it knows danger is about?

I mean truly,this has to be THE weirdest thing I've ever seen a mainline politician do.

by Anonymousreply 13602/13/2013

A permanently callow fellow.

by Anonymousreply 13702/13/2013

But he's soooo dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 13802/13/2013

Yeah right R123. A Rand Paul ticket. Another way to further marginalise the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 13902/13/2013

I was born a poor black child...

by Anonymousreply 14002/13/2013

Rubio is fat and undistinguished looking. He's just another Palin. I knew he wouldn't last long but I didn't think he would go down in flames this quick. The GOP - still clutching at straws.

by Anonymousreply 14102/13/2013

GWB was not meant to be in office. The GOP hasn't had one electable candidate for decades. Bush was really another one of them, but the Supreme Court intervened.

Bob Dole

George W Bush

John McCain

Mitt Romney

Romney was their version of a centrist. Republicans will no longer go for that. They blame their losses on not going Rightwards enough, so expect a Santorum to win the nomination. Rubio wouldn't have stood a chance with them anyway. Yeah, he doesn't believe in science, but that's not enough for him to win the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 14202/13/2013

Poland Spring, baby!

by Anonymousreply 14402/13/2013

And, meanwhile, Mayor Julian Castro has been making the rounds on TV. He came off as articulate and intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 14502/13/2013

I'll never vote for a Cuban. They have their own highly divergent dialect of Spanish, and they are even more stuck-up than the Argentinians.

by Anonymousreply 14602/13/2013

[quote]Bob Dole

[quote]George W Bush

[quote]John McCain

[quote]Mitt Romney

GOP diversity.

by Anonymousreply 14702/13/2013

Who?? Where?? Link to one poll that supports this.

Fucking stupid troll. You are so transparent, and you never learn, you just keep posting the same obfuscating bullshit time after time, thinking we'll fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 14802/13/2013

Lame lame lame/

by Anonymousreply 14902/13/2013

So...is this the 2013 version of "Liberals are scared of Palin's influence."?

I'm embarrassed for you. I'm embarrassed for your lack of brain power and your attempt to yet again underestimate the American public, particularly Hispanics.

You don't seem to comprehend that simply changing the candy-coating of a Republican doesn't change the the archaic ideology on the inside - and that ideology sure as hell ain't chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 15002/13/2013

Remember when Mitt Romney went over the top with tanner for his appearance on BET, r150?

Republicans ARE that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15102/13/2013

GOD I love this thread.

I feel sort of bad for the guy, too. He isn't ready for primetime. Repubs are just desperately searching for someone with an -o name to save them.

by Anonymousreply 15202/13/2013

Hispanics even see through the half-assed embrace of immigration by the GOP.

Anything the GOP says or does that is even remotely "altruistic" will be met with skepticism because no one will ever believe the Republicans stand for anything that doesn't involve discriminating against some group. "Hey, let's say we support group A, so we can go on hating/fucking over groups B-Z."

Until the GOP is ready to overhaul their troglodyte platform, they will lose on substance - hence the attempt to win by changing the rules. I mean, why bother trying to modernize your fucked up Klan rally of a political party? A party where the myth of Reagan supersedes the reality of a man who would be called a "commie" by today's (lower) standards on the right.

by Anonymousreply 15302/13/2013

amen

by Anonymousreply 15402/13/2013

"The suspicions of many were confirmed tonight. Marco Rubio isn’t being touted because he is a potentially great candidate with unique ideas."

Well, no. They don' have any potentially great candidates with unique ideas. They have mediocre white people. Some are mediocre white women, like Sarah Palin. Some are mediocre white men whose names end in vowels, like Marc Rubio.

by Anonymousreply 15502/13/2013

They really have no one, do they?

by Anonymousreply 15602/13/2013

some youtube type should do a spilt screen with Rubio and the water and Bobby Jindal walking up to the podium (his famous clip)

by Anonymousreply 15702/13/2013

add in michelle bachman speaking into the wrong camera....

by Anonymousreply 15802/13/2013

They don't have anyone. There are no credible people in their party. Their either sociopaths or careerist airheads or both. It's obvious.

by Anonymousreply 15902/13/2013

Tell yourself whatever you want, r160.

by Anonymousreply 16102/13/2013

It also doesn't help their (GOP) cause when you have a president talking about equal pay for women and Republican *women* disapprovingly shaking their heads.

At what point do they feel shame for being this insane?

Cunts:

by Anonymousreply 16202/13/2013

Honey(R161)? Stop. Just stop.

The GOP -instead of embracing the 21st C- have chosen to go into a death spiral towards the 19th C.

by Anonymousreply 16302/13/2013

r160, you are an idiot. How does that feel?

Do you have frequent headaches?

by Anonymousreply 16402/13/2013

They don't feel shame, that's their problem. Meanwhile, there is enough money for THEM.

by Anonymousreply 16502/13/2013

My apologies to R161. I clicked on the comment to which you were responding and R156 popped up, so I thought you were claiming the GOP did have candidates.

by Anonymousreply 16602/13/2013

Rubio is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16702/13/2013

Rubio was just pathetic. And R162, I found that the most amazing thing of the evening. I commented about it on one of the active threads during the President's speech last night. What bitches - what ever happened to independent thought and just supporting what is right? Over 50% of the the world is female. That pic needs to be saved for the 2016 campaign...

by Anonymousreply 16802/13/2013

I was hoping Maddow or another in the media would identify those two witches. A lot of people on twitter noticed them, too.

Hopefully they're publicly shamed for it.

by Anonymousreply 16902/13/2013

R160 is an idiot. Hillary is unstoppable at this point. She has the entire Democratic Party--which has a much wider margin of registered voters than the Republicans--plus huge appeal with independents AND what's left of the "moderate" Republicans. There's not a single Republican OR Democrat that can match her appeal.

She'll build on Obama's base with more white voters: older, more working class, "white ethnics" and women (of all political stripes and demographics) in particular. The Republicans could resurrect Reagan and I still think she'd win. Expect an electoral blowout. She'll flip Texas blue, you'll see!

by Anonymousreply 17002/13/2013

I'm sure the freeper trash who troll this site found nothing wrong with this.

As for the "response," it was typical Republican bullshit about "government" as Sen. Rubio did the usual hypocritical spin about it not being what we should rely on for help ... even though he also admitted that he had federal aid to help him with college.

The Republican Party is just so full of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 17102/13/2013

GOP motto: "The govt is evil - unless my family/district needs $$$$."

by Anonymousreply 17202/13/2013

It wasn't just the water grab that was bizarre. He kept oddly wiping at his hair and did this weird pulling thing with his lips. He also made strange gulping noises when taking a breath and looked terrified throughout. Flop sweat indeed.

by Anonymousreply 17302/13/2013

[quote]If you think about it, they are honestly a much more conservative group & are not with a lot of D/left princples, and rather lean more R/right on the issues.

That is Republican wishful thinking. Polls show Latinos are more liberal than a typical Democrat on social and economic issues.

by Anonymousreply 17402/13/2013

I love how he's being savaged all across the Internet. Is it safe to say that he befell the same fate as Jindal?

by Anonymousreply 17502/13/2013

R169, the woman in the white sweater is Kansas Rep. Lynn Jenkins.

by Anonymousreply 17602/13/2013

Wolf Blitzer's "Uh oh" is the new "Oh, god."

by Anonymousreply 17702/13/2013

I wouldn't depend on the inevitability of Hillary. She was "inevitable" in 2008 until Obama stepped up. A lot can happen in the next 2.5-3 years until they really start campaigning.

As for the GOP, the Democrats were also in disarray in February of 2005, IIRC. Who knows what will happen.

That said, I think Hillary is a great choice and would support her 100%

by Anonymousreply 17802/13/2013

appeared very nervous kept wiping swat off his forehead or something then the water thing didnt play well on a national stage

by Anonymousreply 17902/13/2013

The Republican party is just one big clown car. Rubio may as well have had a red ball on his nose last night.

r171 is right, what a bunch of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 18002/13/2013

R178, you are right that nothing is guaranteed and things can always change. We don't even know for sure whether Hillary is running yet. But I wouldn't use 2008 as an example - the only reason Hillary didn't win the nomination was because of the once in a lifetime candidacy of Barack Obama. Candidates like that only come out of the blue once in a generation.

by Anonymousreply 18102/13/2013

Marco Rubio’s Panicked Drink Of Water In Extreme Slow Motion

by Anonymousreply 18202/13/2013

It's almost endearing in a 'why are me so stupid?' kind of way. It's like they (= Rubio, Bachmann, etc.) are auditioning for the powers to be for the puppet position (hey, I look presentable, all I need is your powerful fist up my ass and I am ready to go!).

by Anonymousreply 18302/13/2013

That tongue flick is classic!!!

by Anonymousreply 18402/13/2013

[quote]hey, I look presentable, all I need is your powerful fist up my ass and I am ready to go

too fucking true! Whose fist is it?

by Anonymousreply 18502/13/2013

The Great Brown Hope.

by Anonymousreply 18602/13/2013

Someone should use the tracks from the Disney movie The Living Desert that deal with the drought (pre-water bottle) and the upliftment when the rain falls down (drinking the bottle).

by Anonymousreply 18702/13/2013

Another career-killing rebuttal disaster like Jindal's. Is that panicked swig equivalent of a Rick Perry "oops"? a Howard Dean "heehaw"?

by Anonymousreply 18802/13/2013

There are over 60 videos of the water sipping incident on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 18902/13/2013

Why do people agree to do the SOTU response? It never goes well. Are they strong-armed into it?

by Anonymousreply 19002/13/2013

Hey. Enough. I married a spick. That's close enough, right?

by Anonymousreply 19102/13/2013

Stay Thirsty, Mis Amigos.

by Anonymousreply 19202/13/2013

If I were SNL, I would have Rubio entering the podium area by crab walking down a stairway and flicking his tongue like Regan in The Exorcist.

And I would do a pope resignation speech. I would have someone dressed as the pope speaking gibberish and an announcer saying, "We now present the pontiff's speech, which is already in progress." I would have a translator saying things like, "these doctors, what do they know? I gotta pain right here (pope points to abdomen, lifts vestments) right here, I'm telling you. Oy. They do tests, they take pictures .. nothing! They don't know from it. And when I eat, my God (pope makes sign of cross), the heartburn! It's killing me. I can't sleep through the night. I'm up, I'm down, all night long. I pee every half hour. And the gas! Oh God (crosses self) it just slips out. It's so embarrassing, but I can't help it (farts). You see? You hear? I can't help it (burps).... How can I say mass like this, huh? I'm asking you...no, really..."

by Anonymousreply 19302/13/2013

R193 since when is the pope Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 19402/13/2013

The Republican Party is so short on electable candidates, they're pushing younger politicians to the front before they're ready, making them look foolish and damaging their political futures.

by Anonymousreply 19502/13/2013

He's a fat tub of shit.

by Anonymousreply 19602/13/2013

¿El coco tiene sed, dónde está el agua?

by Anonymousreply 19702/13/2013

R194 You never saw "Yentl"? "Papa can you hear me?"

by Anonymousreply 19802/13/2013

This is such a joke. They have no good ideas. They lie all the time to cover up their ignorance and greed. And it is now pretty clear that all their superstars (remember Bobby Jindal?) are not ready for prime time (and may never be).

by Anonymousreply 19902/13/2013

There are three more SOTU addresses before the 2016 election. Who do you think they'll trot out next?

by Anonymousreply 20002/13/2013

Probably Tim Scott, Susanna Martinez or Nikki Haley, R200.

by Anonymousreply 20102/14/2013

R134 Exactly. Lying is a thirsty business--remember Ryan with his water fetish during the debate? I wish some talented gayling could put the two liars drinking together in an ad with that as its title.

by Anonymousreply 20202/14/2013

"They blame their losses on not going Rightwards enough,"

Without my glasses I read this as "They blame their bosses on not going Rightwad enough."

I'm keeping "Rightwad" in play.

by Anonymousreply 20302/14/2013

Rubio should be hoping to high heaven that SNL contacts him to take part in a spoof of himself.

If they do he should jump at the chance.

by Anonymousreply 20402/14/2013

Being chosen to give the SOTU rebuttal is like winning the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 20502/14/2013

Rightwad is appropriate. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 20602/14/2013

[quote]I wouldn't depend on the inevitability of Hillary. She was "inevitable" in 2008 until Obama stepped up.

As R181 pointed out, comparing 2016 to 2008 is foolish. Barack Obama, truly a once-in-a-lifetime candidate, was already nationally known by this point, having given the keynote at Kerry's convention and causing everyone who heard that speech to ask why we were running Kerry and not the hot, eloquent young black guy with broad crossover appeal. There is no one with remotely that level of instant star power and ability to energize voters in either party right now, because, as has been noted, a Barack Obama only appears once in a million election cycles. I doubt we'll see a phenomenon like that again from either party any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 20702/14/2013

dude. the puma thing has to stop.

hrc grew to love obama as a friend and a leader.

she is likely to be the next president, so stop bashing the current one. she would tell you this herself. trust me.

by Anonymousreply 20902/14/2013

I cannot believe[R205] posted that!

My best friend and I used to joke about that all the time. The Oscar that makes you disappear !

by Anonymousreply 21002/14/2013

R208, you sound both misinformed and a little touched. You claim I'm "way off", and yet nothing in your rambling, disjointed diatribe even addresses, let alone rebuts, anything I posted. You just sound like a stupid troll, honestly.

I stand by everything I said. Hillary is secure in the Democratic nomination for 2016 because there is virtually no way we will see a repeat of what happened in 2008 with Barack Obama's sudden, meteoric rise, because such a thing is extremely rare under normal circumstances, and laughable in the extreme given the current political landscape and its dearth of energizing young politicos.

by Anonymousreply 21102/14/2013

sorry r207/r211 but r208 is right on point. Anyone who followed the primary and the media coverage of the two would agree.

Perhaps try not calling some a "stupid troll" just because you don't agree with them? That's a start. "once-in-a-lifetime" candidate? You're over-the-top. For the most part, Obama's success in 2008 was media-generated. Attack HRC at every angle, but for the new kid? Soft gloves. Don't focus on the substance. Focus on his "soaring rhetoric." Create an image of a man based on his speeches and not who he really is as a politician.

by Anonymousreply 21202/14/2013

...anyway....

Marco is just another pawn in the game called, politics.

by Anonymousreply 21402/14/2013

One always claims mistakes were planned / When risk is slight one takes one's stand / With much sleight of hand / Politics--the art of the possible!

by Anonymousreply 21502/14/2013

Water for Elephant.

by Anonymousreply 21602/14/2013

[quote]Because you cannot handle the truth that The Fox News Channel and Murdoch supported Hilary you go on some irrelevant canard regarding my post.That's how weak your position is! I'm dead serious about HC being a war criminal and a liar. The mainstream media saw it fit to have Obama be the candidate and that was fine by me.

You sound batshit fucking insane. Nothing I wrote anywhere addressed anything about Fox News, Rupert Murdoch, the media supporting Obama or anyone being a war criminal.

My original post at R207 (and subsequent post at R211) was about Hillary securing the 2016 Democratic nomination without much chance of a spoiler primary challenger a la Barack Obama in 2008. That's it. That's the only point I made: that Hillary will almost certainly be the Democratic nominee in 2016 because if there were a viable challenger, they would be known by now.

Whether she's a war criminal, or a darling of Rupert Murdoch, or what job Obama held in 2004--all of these are relevant to the point I was trying to make. Nothing I wrote even addresses--let alone disputes--anything you wrote. Why you're zeroing in on me to make your tangental points is a mystery.

You seem determined to insert discussion of Hillary being a lying war criminal, Fox News supporting her, and Barack Obama being a State Senator at the time of the 2004 convention--NONE of which I've disputed, addressed or even mentioned in any of my posts. That's fine if you want to discuss those things, but stop trying to create a flame war with me over some precieved disagreement you have with me, when nothing you have posted is even relevant to what I've posted.

Again: you sound fucking loony. Are you impaired in some way? Are you currently on medication? Do you often have problem comprehending basic writing and processing simple concepts? What IS your damage? Or are you just another troll determined to tear Datalounge apart through pointless arguing, stalking and berating posters you don't agree with?

by Anonymousreply 21702/14/2013

Girls, GIRLS! Stop!

You're both stupid.

by Anonymousreply 21802/14/2013

Circular conversations make me dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 21902/14/2013

thread killerz.

by Anonymousreply 22002/14/2013

Like... Big government! Big government taxes bad. Taking your money to give stuff to people! People like me who got college loans and my granny on SS. I love it! It's wrong! Small businesses are the way to go. Lots of money for small businesses not for, like, big government. And let's keep our guns and our glorious private health care! Taking away our freedoms!

Family values, American values. Jobs. Economic growth stuff. That's good. Big government kills growth and jobs and values. Tax and borrow! Free enterprise. Socialism! Medicare bad. Whatever, man.

Hello?

Hello?

Where am I?

by Anonymousreply 22102/14/2013

That guy is like my twin!

by Anonymousreply 22202/14/2013

and Rand Paul is a "marginal candidate?"

Rubio basically killed his buzz, even worse in slo-mo.

I'm in Jindal's state, best you can say about him (and I would apply this to Christie as well) "doesn't wear well."

IMO 2016 will come down to Paul vs. Jeb Bush, money vs. grassroots

by Anonymousreply 22302/14/2013

As David Ferguson of "Raw Story" reports, Rachel Maddow nailed the Rubio speech as "just a reheated Romney speech, which is essentially reheated Bush-era 'free enterprise' boilerplate about supply-side economics and the importance of deregulation" (quote from Ferguson, not Maddow.)

Does this guy have some kind of medical condition where he can't go more than ten minutes without sucking on his water bottle? What a clown.

by Anonymousreply 22402/14/2013

He should've drunk Moland Springs.

by Anonymousreply 22502/14/2013

Wolf Blitzer's "Uh oh" said it ALL...

by Anonymousreply 22602/14/2013

R223 -- the R brand is still pretty toxic. JEB wouldn't stand a chance without COMPLETELY repudiating his brother.

by Anonymousreply 22702/14/2013

You know what feels better than putting a troll in its place? Ignoring it and driving it CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 22902/14/2013

Just a gigolo, everywhere he goes...

by Anonymousreply 23102/14/2013

When he reached for his water that's the furthest left he's ever leaned.

by Anonymousreply 23202/14/2013

[quote] that's the furthest left he's ever leaned.

He and his family can lean pretty far left when my tax dollars are available to them.

by Anonymousreply 23302/14/2013

Jeb is a great candidate. I don't want him to win the presidency, but I think he could get the nod even given what his brother did (and especially if he picks up some kind of sympathy if his dad dies).

I'm not sure Paul Ryan has enough oomph to be taken seriously as pres. candidate. I wonder about him though. And Chris Christie.

by Anonymousreply 23402/14/2013

No way in hell do I buy that another Bush would get on the Republican ticket - unless they are very, very desperate. But seeing the prospects they have...

I guess you guys could be right about Hillary - if there were another viable candidate, we would know by now. I *still* don't like assuming the inevitability though. What if the public turns against Hillary in the next 4 years? It could happen.

by Anonymousreply 23502/14/2013

[quote]Wolf Blitzer's "Uh oh" said it ALL...

True. When even Wolf Blitzer says a Republican did badly, you know they're in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 23602/15/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 23702/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.