Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you find the life of an actor dreadful?

I mean seriously. You spend your whole life reading script and just "acting" them out, with very little input and contributing very little to life. And at times acting is very much like prostitution in that you have to fake have sex with all these different people. And in the end, you may be scrambling around for a job, even if you were successful in one job, does not guarantee that you'll have a second job.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

No. You have profound moments of glory that bitter office clerks will never have.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

Only when the fame consumes them and they spiral into despair, a la Monroe or Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

a lot of jobs are like prostitution - at least acting can be fun

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

I agree OP. I have no respect for most actors. Their craft is so elevated when there are so many other professions that require intelligence and interest . These people only require looks.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

Actors really are just circus people with more attitude.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

OP, you DO realize that actors are only playing characters and are otherwise people no different than you or I?

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

What R5 and R6 said

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

Nope. I acting used to be a hobby of mine.

Being an out of work actor sounds dreadful. (But only if you never got much work, if you made enough to retire off of it sounds fine to me.)

I like the idea of moving around for projects. And constantly working on different projects.

I've done fairly pointless jobs for minimum or near minimum wage before. Acting probably would have amused me more.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

Don't ask me... I don't know because I've never been one!

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

You've described most professions, OP. Get a job & find out.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

I used to act professionally, but tired of always looking for work. I got a decent job and inly act occasionally. The problem is - performing gives you a lot of fulfillment and excitement so you don't need to make or spend much money to be satisfied. As a project manager, I may be able to buy a nice car, but it's just a salve for the shitty, unfulfilling work. As an actor, I always wanted a nice car, but as long as I was working I didn't really care very much.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

I did a bit of local theater, before I decided I didn't like performing. But others LIVED for being on the stage, being watched and applauded. So I get why theater actors love it.

But what about film and TV actors, whose work isn't seen for months after it's done, why do they love the work they do? I don't see anything particularly satisfying about the work itself; fame and money aside, can anyone explain the appeal of acting for the camera?

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

[quote]contributing very little to life

It's true that plenty of people can get by without the performing arts, but at their best film and theatre enhance and enrich life. They do help us 'to enjoy and endure.'

There are acres of bullshit around the star system, but the craft of acting at its best is as great to behold as any high talent. People like and need stories, about themselves and other lives, and good actors fulfil this need.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

Let's face it, without them actors, a lot of people struggling to find jobs, and lazy ass worker like R5 can enjoy some stiff competition.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

It's not rocket science, you know and those who are touted as great at their "craft" are no more valuable than a great plumber or accountant. Let's put this in perspective. There's no great skill to acting but we should value them as amusing entertainers and very little else. I'd prefer to be a great designer or electrician than an actor.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

We all "act" in our jobs. If we really said the things we wanted to say it would be deemed "unprofessional" or "rude". Your whole life is an act really, saying the right things at the right time, acting the way you are deemed to act by society. I wish I were an actor, at least I could get paid for all the faking I have to do.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

We are born to do whatever we do now. Don't be so shallow. I can't believe this is a gay forum.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

I certainly do. Even successful actors may only have 10 good years if they are lucky and attractive (Stephen Boyd, Laurence Harvey, Michael York etc) - if they are lucky they can continue in smaller lesser roles as they age. But can/do they earn enough ?

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

Yeah, OP, going to parties all the time and banging all those groupies is just terrible. I'd much rather be doing whatever it is you do.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

I beg to differ R19.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Since 99% actors are gay....

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

I couldnt cope with all that rejection, being turned down for parts because I didnt look right or whatever. An actor is just a helpless pawn who gets a lucky break.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

Rejections are everywhere R23, and some of them are a blessing in disguise. Learn more about life.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

These threads always only focus on the "star" actors and not the majority of working actors. For most of us, it is only rarely that we have to "fake having sex." We are not limited to "ten good years." Sure these are true if you are a sex symbol....but not many of us are.

It is a good life and a fulfilling one. The major downside is that you are always looking for work. But any freelance worker knows what that is like.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

You periodically come together with a group of interesting people and explore, discuss and embody the deepest issues in life from many perspectives. That is pretty interesting work.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!