Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Working for the government?

Does it pay good? Are your privy to secrets that no one else knows? What sorts of jobs are available?

Thanks for the input

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Which government? Federal? State? County? City? Foreign?

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

Federal and foreign.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

Well, I was a prosecutor, so I was privy to grand jury secrets. One of our investigations involved military bases, so I read documents labeled "top secret," but they were just specs for construction.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

christ almighty, type "U.S. government jobs" into and it will give you the websites which list U.S. govt job openings.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

most federal jobs are posted to However, I have never known anyone to actually obtain a job via the portal unless they got extra points for being a veteran or something. I think the Fed Gov has grown so paranoid from charges of nepotism they have overcompensated by reducing everyone's application to a number, you are scored based on your experience against KSAs (knowledge skills and abilities) and then an algorithm basically determines the top 1% or so called for an interview.

Then there are agencies or positions with with direct hire authority, where they do not have to go through, and the process is considered more subjective and in fact fairer.

Most application I know of or have completed are quite involved and require original essays, narratives, etc.

I too would like to hear other people's opinions or experiences.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

I hear there's an opening at Defense!

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

I retired from the Feds under the old retirement system (CSRS) which was pretty good. Nice pension (I get 70% of my high-3 salary), but no Social Security. That all changed in 1984; people hired after that get a three-part retirement: smaller pension, Social Security, and 401(k)-type plan. While working, health benefits are OK (no employer-paid dental or vision, unless you can find a plan that includes them). Vacation is good after the first three years, and many agencies are pretty good about flexible hours, telecommuting, etc.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

One great way to find a job in DC is to go thru job placement firms.

type the following into

"job placement firms in DC"

for a 2nd try type this into

"job firms in DC"

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

Many Federal agencies have hiring freezes going on right now. Lots of chatter about furloughing federal employees. Lots of government job downsizing right now.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

Before you even consider any application process, OP, you need an intensive review of basic grammar and syntax.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

Lots of govt jobs are contracted out to job placement firms for the job placement firms to interview and hire employees and run the govt entity.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

[quote]Are your privy to secrets that no one else knows?

Sometimes. And you're not always thrilled to know them.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

Federal employee here. The health care is probably the best cost wise but the choices we get, I believe dependant on location, can really suck. Depending on what plan you choose, choice of doctors, hospital, is limited. I often wonder how much better the quality of healthcare is from private companies.

I have applied to various jobs to move up but I always hear from friends in the agency that an insider got the job. Seems there is always someone waiting to move up but the agency covers their ass by posting the job, interviewing people, etc. Unless it's ajob no one wanted like a GS 4-6. I wish the jobs I wanted would just post agency only. The KSA is a bitch to complete. You have to fine tune it to fit the job.

I have it good I just wish I could have been a higher grade when I retire.

Govt. used to be very strict. You come in on time, you dont leave early, you provide a note when sick for three days. I'm not sure about other agencies but where I'm at, the boss is super liberal and spineless. People with kids come in late, leave early, work at home when kiddies are sick, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!