Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

$50 says the little girl wins Best Actress

Any takers? I just have a feeling that they won't be able to resist a little African American girl winning.

by Anonymousreply 11302/26/2013

I want to hear the shade the little hellion throws when she doesn't win. She'll be blackballed in Hollywood forever.

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

R1 = Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

I think it's going to be the old lady.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Oprah is devoting a whole hour to the film on her OWN Channel.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

And Michelle Obama is hosting a screening with cast and crew. That said, she's not winning. That said, I'd be okay with either Quvenzhane Wallis or Emmanuelle Riva winning. In fact I'd love to see David O Russels' meltdown over it. He's already halfway there what with JL's Bafta loss.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

Quvenzhane Wallis wasn't all THAT good. She did a fine job, but definitely not good enough to be nominated for an Oscar. This is a little ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

Emmanuelle Riva's Hushpuppy was better.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

The little girl ain't winnin'. The old lady ain't winnin'. Ya got shit for brains, OP.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

Jennifer Lawrence has a lock (just ask Harvey Weinstein). Of course Emanuelle Riva should get it.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

My money is on the old lady.

Actually, most people who have seen Amour believe that Riva should win and want her to win. And she has the momentum.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

In the couple of interviews I've seen her do promoting the film, Qvenzhane Wallis comes off as a spoiled brat. No charm, all sass mouth. She's not going to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

[quote]Of course Emanuelle Riva should get it.

For Heaven's sake she doesn't speak English!

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

I'll take that bet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

Riva, Day Lewis, Hathaway, Dinero

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

^I think r15 has it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

I don't think anything is insulting about Quvezhannnayy's nomination.

Hardly any of you probably have seen the movie.

I saw it and she did a fine job. One of the best.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

I really think there should be a write in vote for Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

Wallis deserved the nomination.

But Riva deserves to win.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

Jennifer Lawrence will win.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

Hasn't Hollywood been sufficiently embarrassed yet by handing little kids Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

Weinstein's behind JLaw, which means JLaw wins.

The little girl isn't all that interesting, anyway.

David O. Russell for Best Director, bet you a million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

Have seen the movie a few times, and a win is possible. Her role garnered the best film reviews from every single major newspaper. She was the headline in every review & she stunned film critics: NYTimes, Washington Post, Tribune and LA. She carried that film on her small back.

I could not believe it myself, so I watched her carefully. In nearly every interview she was NOT some spoiled brat, she was a playful, cooperative child, funny and enthralled by this craziness.

Haters got to hate, and this forum has about 20 racist creeps at any given time.

Ms Wallis already has a film career whether they like it or not. It will be a successful one too. Her mother is an educator and will keep this talented young girl on a higher path.

I hope she wins, it is time, it is due.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

I would love for Riva to win. It's not like she's going to get another chance.

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2013

Well child actress extraordinaire, jodie foster, approves of wallis's nomination. According to her she was afraid because so many people don't understand child acting.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

Nope, not gonna happen.

OMG, she's *six years old*, or something.

And like *Life of Pi*, it's one of the many-nominated films - GGlobes, SAG, etc. - that nobody has yet felt like giving any awards.

*Life of Pi* might win cinematography.

*Beasts of the Southern Wild* will have to be pleased with its nominations - especially Best Director, which everyone is now wishing they had given to Ben Affleck instead.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

Two great performances last year, neither one nominated:

Jean-Louis Trintignant in AMOUR.

Denis Lavant in HOLY MOTORS.

Both of them by far the most daring, interesting, moving, impressive acting performances, male or female, all year.

The Oscars are bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2902/12/2013

Quvenzhané Wallis is nine years old. Perhaps children could be acknowledged with some sort of Oscar recognition; however, children of this age should not be competing against mature women for an Oscar.

There should be an age limit of 16 or 18 to the Oscar category for Best Actor/Actress

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2013

I thought the guy who played Wallis's father was every bit as interesting as Wallis, though neither of them is what I'd call an actor.

They gave Shirley Temple a special Oscar, didn't they? And Judy Garland? That's about as much as Wallis deserves, a little special statuette.

I gotta say I wouldn't enthusiastically vote for any of the women nominated.

I thought Riva was faking her illness. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2013

[quote]Riva, Day Lewis, Hathaway, Dinero

Riva, Day Lewis, Hathaway, Lee Jones.

Just one correction. That will be your final four.

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2013

Do we HAVE to accept Hathaway in Supporting? Is there NO possibility for an upset?

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

Riva, Day Lewis, Waltz, and .... oh God, I can't bear to type her name.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

David O. Russell

Tony Kushner

Waiting for Sugerman

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

her future=knocked up or addicted within 10 years

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

Viva Riva!

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

OP...ain't gonna happen. Did you see her performance?

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

I really don't understand why people think Riva is going to win an Oscar.

For Riva to win, it would go against the rules of modern Oscar campaigning, all of recent Oscar history, and most importantly against the Academy's demonstrated taste. There has never, ever been an Oscar win for an actress in Riva's situation (elderly foreign actress, mostly unknown in Hollywood, giving a low-key performance in a foreign language).

Jennifer Lawrence won the Golden Globe and SAG. Her movie is a hit that's peaking at the right time, the Academy loved it, she's on her second Oscar nomination, and she has Harvey Weinstein pushing her. She's young, pretty and is proven at the box office, which few actresses can claim.

Riva doesn't even have a demonstrable edge among critics. Lawrence and Riva tied with the L.A. critics while Lawrence received more votes for Best Actress with the New York ones. If critics known for their highbrow tastes didn't even prefer Riva, why would the more middlebrow Academy?

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

OTOH the Academy is filled with grannies and grampies. So Riva MIGHT win.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

All them old people in AMPAS don't want to watch a depressing film about old people quietly dying.

JLaw will win. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2013

Can some tell me what was so good about Riva? She spent most of the film in a vegetative state. Really not that much different from Naomi Watts' performance. It was Riva's co-star Trintignant who carried the film, just like Tom HOlland carried his. If Holland had been female, he'd probably have gotten a nomination, no question, but it's almost near impossible for a young actor to get nominated. Male actors are held at a different standard. A woman/girl can give a mediocre performance and get nominated, while an actor really has to impress.

For instance, in the past 10 years only Heath Ledger (26), Ryan Gosling (26), and Jesse Eisenberg (27) were the only twentysomethings nominated for Best Actor. As for Best Actress, since 2003 you have Quvenzhané Wallis (9), Jennifer Lawrence (twice, at 20 and 22), Natalie Portman (29), Gabourey Sidibe (26), Carey Mulligan (24), Anne Hathaway (26), Ellen Page (20), Keira Knightley (20), Reese Witherspoon (29), Kate Winslet (29), Catalina Sandino Moreno (23), Keisha Castle-Hughes (13), Charlize Theron (28), and Samantha Morton (26). That's 12 twentysomething actors, one teen, and a tween (15 if you count Lawrence's second nomination.)

by Anonymousreply 4302/13/2013

[quote]All them old people in AMPAS don't want to watch a depressing film about old people quietly dying.

She doesn't even die quietly. She's smothered to death kicking and moaning, a la Jack Nicholson in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

I have to second R43. The genius performance in Amour was Trintignant. His character had to actually show his transformation. Riva was great, but for most of the movie was in bed or saying "pain" (I think) over and over. It was daring of her in terms of how exposed she had to be (pissing herself, etc) but he was the character who had to do all the heavy lifting.

I still think Riva should win, but so should he.

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013

They should give the two Lead Oscars to Trintignant and Denis Lavant.

by Anonymousreply 4602/13/2013

Well R43 why don't you tell me about all the great roles that mature women are getting year after year? Oh right...they're not. Hell even this year the only true lead in a hero's journey kind of way is jessica chastain. Depressing. Anyway a lot of actors are behind riva. I don't remember everyone but nicole kidman said as an actor you watch riva and you lnow it's great. Mind you NK said this when her bff naomi also nominated. I do think riva is a dark horse. Lawrence will have plenty of opportunities and oscar members know it. Ditto chastain.

by Anonymousreply 4702/13/2013

Trintigant was amazing, but Riva's performance is also stellar.

She does not spend most of Amour in a vegetative state, r43. She has only one moment in Amour in which she is anything like vegetative and that happens very early on in the film.

From that moment to the last she is always conscious of what is happening to her and always conscious of what is happening to Trintignant because of her deterioration.

And she is spellbinding. There is never a false move.

It is exquisite work from both of them. They are two master actors, legends of the screen, who bring out the very best in each other.

Don't confuse the fact that Trintignant was inexplicably fucked by the awards season with the notion that Riva doesn't deserve every recognition she has gotten.

She deserves every award she has gotten. She deserves the oscar. And I think she will win.

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2013

Actually, the color of her skin says she wins Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 5002/13/2013

There are those who think the older members of the Academy - the majority - will be turned off by Amour's unflinching portrait of aging.

Having seen the movie, and being of a certain age myself, I disagree.

For those of us of a certain age, most of whom have seen parents die, nothing could be further from the truth. The movie honors Anne and Georges, treats them as adults and as individuals, not stock characters, as two people who have built a cloistered life together, dependent on each other, in so many ways removed from the world but still very much alive in heart and spirit, and struggling for dignity and to keep their life together going on their own terms, when having it as it was is no longer possible.

Is the story weighty? Of course. But it is also genuinely heartbreaking, vivid and captivating. And, because of Haneke's and company's artistry, suspenseful.

To peg it simplistically as a sentimental or depressing movie about dying, rather than as a movie which affirms what it is to be alive and to love with every beat, one would have to have no soul.

There are still artists, old and young, with souls in the Academy

It may not win anything on oscar night, but don't sell it short because it's "that depressing French movie that old people won't sit through."

by Anonymousreply 5102/13/2013

The color of her skin is shared by four of the five nominees, so how does that work exactly?

Don't blame the nominees for the fact that there aren't enough great roles for actors of color.

And don't forget that actors of color have won oscars quite frequently in recent years. As well they should have.

by Anonymousreply 5202/13/2013

Riva's brief, though it stops the heart of the audience, time in a "vegetative state" in the third scene of Amour is hardly a moment of non-acting. It is not at all easy to create and sustain what she, Haneke and Trintigant did in that scene, which is unforgettable. Anyone who thinks being absolutely still and externally non-reactive, while maintaining a secret confused inner stasis, what one sees often in people with dementia, has never acted and knows nothing about acting.

And has been said, nothing in the rest of the movie asks her to be "vegetative". Far from it. Anne is very much alive and aware and therein lies the gripping conflict portrayed in Amour.

by Anonymousreply 5302/13/2013

r43, you have a point about the Academy dismissing Trintignant and Holland.

But you seem to be arguing that the oscars are prejudiced against young men and favor younger women. Exactly what performances by young men, other than Holland's do you think the Academy should have nominated this year? You only mention Trintigant and others have mentioned Lavant.

Trintigant is 82. Lavant is 52.

This year the Academy has chosen to honor the oldest, by far, and youngest, by far, women who have ever competed for best actress. Only one of the five nominees is in her 20s - Lawrence. Chastain is 36, Watts is 44. And the women nominated for best supporting actress are 38 (Adams), 65 (Field), Hathaway (30), Hunt (49) and Weaver (65).

Out of ten women nominated for an oscar this year, only one is in her 20s. And one is a pre-teen.

by Anonymousreply 5402/13/2013

She is only 9! Yes she has a reason to act bratty.

by Anonymousreply 5502/13/2013

We've only seen one African-American winner for best actress -- Halle Berry in 2001's "Monster's Ball" -- so Quvenzhané Wallis ("Beasts of the Southern Wild") will likely join the eight who preceded her in with having been nominated, having not won, and were never nominated in the lead category again: Dorothy Dandridge (1954's "Carmen Jones"); Diana Ross (1972's "Lady Sings the Blues"); Cicely Tyson (1972's "Sounder"); Diahann Carroll (1974's "Claudine"); Whoopi Goldberg (1985's "The Color Purple"); Angela Bassett (1993's "What's Love Got to Do With It"); Gabrielle Sidibe (2009's "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"); and Viola Davis (2011's "The Help"). I wouldn't mind being wrong. But this award will go to Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings Playbook").

by Anonymousreply 5602/13/2013

It's sad really, Black actresses have had so many great performances , notably Angela Basset in What's Love..) and only ONE have won the OSCAR for best actress.

Why? This is beyond comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 5702/13/2013

Between those saying Wallis has no business winning the oscar because she's a kid and those implying Wallis really should win because no black actress have ever won for a lead, one could go stark raving mad.

The award should go to the most deserving performance.

Of course that's a subjective determination.

I happen to think they all did good work (as did several women who were not nominated).

For me, the outstanding performance of the five (having nothing to do with race, age, or anything else other than the quality of the work) is clearly Riva's. Others are free to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 5802/13/2013

What little girl and for what movie?

by Anonymousreply 5902/13/2013

Really, children should be seen and not heard.

Or better yet, not seen or heard from again.....

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

[quote]It's sad really, Black actresses have had so many great performances , notably Angela Basset in What's Love..) and only ONE have won the OSCAR for best actress.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

I don't know, though: Wallis is a little kid, who knows what kind of career she'll ever have, maybe she'll turn into Kristen Dunst, which is to say: zombie-like; or maybe she'll go the way of 90% of kid stars: drugs and prostitution, jail, rehab, and then a tell-all autobiography. And maybe gender re-assignment.

By which I mean: If we want to wave the flag for hiring more black women and casting more of them in lead performances and giving them, all around, a better shot at stardom: Do we want to bestow the big prize on a little kid who is not really an actor? How insulting would that be to, like, Alfre Woodard? Like, "Okay, we'll give a black actress a prize, but we'll make sure she's 9 and unlikely to have another big movie for 15 years."

You know?

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

Oops, I meant to respond to R58.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

How racist. The OP had to point out that she is African American.

She's a little kid. They don't know the art of acting. She might have some natural skill but reward a kid over people who have really worked at it is just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

Oh, you're absolutely right OP. Black females always win in Hollywood--everything's just handed to them on a silver platter. The liberal media just can't resist!

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

So R47 thinks she should win just for being black.

by Anonymousreply 6602/13/2013

God, why are there so many people online that pontificate about the "art" of acting who've never done so much as a short film?

I've done theatre and film work and I'm not as pretentious about acting as the half wit cube dwellers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2013

Q. Wallis will be this year's winner of the Octavia Spencer "Thank God for white guilt" Academy Award. They'll give her the Oscar and the obligatory standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2013

I thought Octavia Spencer earned her Oscar. I love Minny. I've watched that movie a number of times and she never bores me. She also got the most memorable lines. I do think Viola was robbed. Streep was perfectly fine as Margaret Thatcher but it WAS an imitation of a living person. She had lots of reference material to help flesh out her portrayal of Thatcher. Viola took the character of Aibelene and made her authentic, sympathetic and heroic. As a matter of fact, Viola has been robbed of an Oscar twice in her career. She totally deserved it for supporting actress in Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 6902/13/2013

No, r68, you are wrong. JLaw will win. Weinstein is working the room in her behalf, and he is also pushing her film and director hard, and she cannot lose.

AMPAS isn't going to waste its self-congratulatory display of guilty liberalism on a kid.

by Anonymousreply 7002/13/2013

R17 = Rabid anti-Quvenzhané Wallis troll

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013

This is the upset category. Jennifer Lawrence will lose to Emmanuelle Riva.

Quvenzhané Wallis doesn't have a chance. Zero. In the eyes of AMPAS, the nomination is her prize.

by Anonymousreply 7202/13/2013

OSCAR PREDICTIONS - STATE OF THE RACE AND PEAKING AT THE OSCAR BALLOTS: By looking at six ballots - Silver Linings Playbook and Jacki Weaver seem to be in heavy conversation...

by Anonymousreply 7302/13/2013

Nothing against the kid, I hope she has a stellar career. But it must be slightly insulting to some of the more seasoned GROWN-UP actresses that this little first-time upstart beat them out for a spot in the finals. If she wins, it's a comment on current cinema (and I'm not sure that wasn't the point).

by Anonymousreply 7402/13/2013

I was so disappointed with Beasts, on the hype looked forward to that more than any other film of the year but while original and very arthouse it was just meh. That director nomination is a bit much.

Wallis especially was disappointing after she was the early buzzed actress and I'd read how some had said it was the best performance they'd seen in some time. It's no more than a good child performance to me.

The fact that she and Dwight Henry (who did deserve a nomination) were amateurs was interesting but that's about it. That said it was a particularly weak actress race this year, so no surprise or big deal she got in.

by Anonymousreply 7602/13/2013

[quote]Maybe some of her better scenes were left on the cutting room floor, but Spencer's performance was simply one-note sassy black woman the entire time.

That's exactly how I felt. And you're right, there was a harrowing scene that was inexplicably cut, but it helped to give Minnie more dimension. It's after her husband loses his job and beats her up so she runs away with her kids and calls Aibileen from a payphone. Wonderfully acted by Spencer. If it had been in the movie, Spencer would've gotten my full support. It really enhanced her otherwise one-note, sassy performance, as you say.

You can watch the clip here:

by Anonymousreply 7702/13/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is blah. Another Weinstein girl. And she looks like she should be waiting tables at Friendly's. No style or charisma at all.

by Anonymousreply 7802/13/2013

Good god if you read the link from r73 it looks as if Cooper will wind up with Best Actor! I know six people arent a representative sample in any way but still half of them wanted BCoop over DDL. All those polled heavily supported SLP.

by Anonymousreply 7902/13/2013

My God who the hell is Female Vote #3 at that link! Embarrassing that this type of person helps choose the best of anything. She couldn't bother to finish Lincoln because it was too boring, but Jennifer Lawrence's diner scene is the best thing ever and she'd choose Judi Dench in the Marigolds movie over any of the supporting actresses that were nominated blech. They should implement the same rules for Best Picture as they do for Best Foreign Film - you can only vote if you prove you've seen everything.

by Anonymousreply 8002/13/2013

Emmanuelle Riva deserves to win.

by Anonymousreply 8102/13/2013

Wrong, r45. She spends the latter half of the film in bed, and even then she has very demanding scenes, and expresses all kinds of emotions through keen and intelligent facial expressions.

Her transformation is as stark as that of JLT.

Contrast her dying scenes with the final scene of the film but one (where she's 'back'), and you have the best female acting performance of the year bar none.

JLT is great too, of course. So is Huppert.

Riva is so authentic, so effortless, you truly forget she is acting. No wonder r43 and r45 have to be reminded she is acting in this film.

Emmanuelle Riva NEEDS to win; if she doesn't, the Oscars deserve the downward spiral they're currently on.

by Anonymousreply 8202/13/2013

They're Hollywood vampire people R80. They make up part of the voters but not everyone. She's probably some JAP producer who buys into hype.

by Anonymousreply 8302/13/2013

Trintignant should win, Lavant should win, Christopher Walken should win. None of them even nominated. Oscars are bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8502/14/2013

Drink lots of coffee before you take on "Amour". It's not bad but it defies time as we know it. Of course actors would love it -- real scenes played out in real time so it must be genius, whatever. Plus someone makes this movie every five years, I swear, and people with amnesia forget they've seen it already -- ala "Away From Her", "Iris", blah blah blah.

I for one would cheer if Wallis won. A true indie with no names and a vision and a story Hollywood would've fucked up if they got their hands on it. And the little girl winning would shake up the obvious (as I wish Gaby would've done a few years ago).

J. Lawrence is terrific and I want her to win an Oscar -- someday soon for the right role. But that movie is a mess and so is that weird character, all over the map. Hard to get excited about it, though she made me smile when she pulled off excitement over getting a 5 score.

And every clip I see of Chastain looks like a performance we could've seen on "JAG".

A few upsets ala Brody in "Pianist" would be welcome that night.

by Anonymousreply 8602/14/2013

The Streep Turd is loony, but he is right about Emmanuelle Riva. And I think she WILL win.

by Anonymousreply 8702/14/2013

Yeah, Beasts of the Southern Wild is a true indie in that it's basically unwatchable. Wretched, horrible film.

by Anonymousreply 8802/14/2013

"Nothing against the kid, I hope she has a stellar career. But it must be slightly insulting to some of the more seasoned GROWN-UP actresses that this little first-time upstart beat them out for a spot in the finals."

I am sure Weisz, Cotillard and Mirren will somehow survive the "humiliation"

Seriously, I doubt either of them is insulted. Sure, these three beloved, wonderful, oscar winning women would have loved being nominated this year. But I don't think they are losing sleep over Wallis getting the nomination, not them.

They are far too busy working and living their lives, which are pretty fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 8902/14/2013

Screw Mirren. It's Cotillard, Weisz or Michelle Williams (in Take This Waltz) who should be there insted of Quebooboo.

by Anonymousreply 9002/14/2013

She's a darling little girl but she should not win best actress. I hope the voters won't do something that foolish.

by Anonymousreply 9102/14/2013

Very unlikely, OP.

It's not whether she deserves it or not. She just doesn't have momentum. Same thing for Naomi Watts for that matter.

J. Chastain had some momentum back in December-early January, but it's been over for a while. Not her year either.

This duel is between Riva and Lawrence.

For the best supporting actors, could go either way. Maybe DeNiro. He was good and people have sympathy for him.

Nothing against Day Lewis or Hathaway, but did Oscars really have to be mailed to them before their film was out? It's anoying when they do this, whne there is no suspense. Other contenders were good in their category.

by Anonymousreply 9202/14/2013

I don't understand what the deal about Weisz was. Her film was released at the end of 2011 in the UK and was ignored by the BAFTAs so didn't stand a chance, was shocked when she suddenly was winning awards.

I agree that Mirren had no place in it, but I liked her appearance at the BAFTAs with the pink hair, treating it as the joke it is.

by Anonymousreply 9302/15/2013

r92 has it. I want to say "in spades" but I don't mean anything by it, spades as in shovels.

by Anonymousreply 9402/15/2013

I finally saw the movie. It's an extraordinary movie, and Wallis is really a presence in it, but she won't get (and doesn't deserve) Best Actress. I don't think children act the same way that adults do, and shouldn't be awarded these prizes. I think it was a mistake when Anna Paquin and Tatum O'Neal won, too, and when kids like Justin Henry and Quinn Cummings were nominated (both the latter two completely freaked out when they lost after the show, and I worry Wallis will freak out too).

When there's a really great child's performance in a given year, the Academy should do what it did in the 1930s and 40s and bestow a special non-competitive Oscar for a Juvenile Performance.

by Anonymousreply 9502/18/2013

[quote]When there's a really great child's performance in a given year, the Academy should do what it did in the 1930s and 40s and bestow a special non-competitive Oscar for a Juvenile Performance.

That's bullshit! A performance is a performance regardless of age, race, gender, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9602/18/2013

I watched ZDT and Beasts of the Southern Wild both the same night, and I have to say that Quvezhane Wallis did a better job as a lead character than JC did.

She, QW definiely deserves that OSCAR.

by Anonymousreply 9702/22/2013

[quote] and when kids like Justin Henry and Quinn Cummings were nominated (both the latter two completely freaked out when they lost after the show

oh do tell...what happened?!?!

by Anonymousreply 9802/22/2013

Quinn Cummings ended up working at 31 Flavors. At least Justin Henry had "Sixteen Candles" for a second act.

by Anonymousreply 9902/22/2013

I really like Jacki Weaver… is there any possibility that Hathaway is not going to win best supporting actress?

by Anonymousreply 10002/22/2013

Justin Henry got fat.

by Anonymousreply 10102/22/2013

Thanks for the spoiler alert, OP. Some of us would have wanted to watch her surprise win on Oscar night!!!

by Anonymousreply 10202/22/2013

Will she dedicate the award to Diahnn Carroll?

by Anonymousreply 10302/22/2013

Tori Amos has this one locked up - the dinosaur isn't winning, hushpuppy isn't winning.

by Anonymousreply 10402/22/2013

Of course she will win. Then Hollywood can parade her around like a circus attraction while saying how they aren't racist, people should be just like them, etc. afterwards,she will be locked away and they can keep giving awards, that don't mean shit, to the same old...

by Anonymousreply 10502/22/2013

so the little cunt lost.

by Anonymousreply 10602/26/2013

She shouldn't have been nominated. She wasn't THAT good. And she's going to star in a remake of the musical "Annie?!" There goes THAT career!

The Academy fucked up. Emmanual Riva should have won. Predictabley, they gave the awards to the dumb as a box of hair Jennifer Lawrence (somebody should teach her to keep her mouth shut) because she's cute, young and American.

by Anonymousreply 10702/26/2013

R108, you must be really old since you seem so bitter about young people having success. Jennifer Lawrence gave a great performance, so for you to dismiss it because she's popular is ... odd. If that's all that mattered then Robert PAttinson would have been nominated for Best Actor.

Check out Winter's Bone and maybe you'll realize that just because something is popular and pretty doesn't mean it can't also be good.

I do agree that ER gave the better performance, but JL winning is hardly a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 10802/26/2013

Hey Streep Troll! Didn't Meryl's hair just look so divine and elegant? Favorite hairstyle. She looked like a royal.

by Anonymousreply 10902/26/2013

"you must be really old since you seem so bitter about young people having success. Jennifer Lawrence gave a great performance, so for you to dismiss it because she's popular is ... odd"

Oh shut up, you ass. The little girl's performance was a novelty, not something that was deserving of an Oscar nomination. Maybe she'll develop into a bona fide actress, but right now she's just a little kid who did well in her first role in a fantasy-like movie. And Jennifer Lawrence is the "It Girl" of Hollywood right now, which pretty much guaranteed her the Oscar, despire Riva's better performance. Her winning IS a travesty. It would have been so much more moving and meaningful to see Emmanuel River go up onstage to receive the Oscar she deserved instead of watching the ditsy Lawrence fall on her face.

by Anonymousreply 11002/26/2013

R111, I agree about "the kid" so calm the fuck down. Geez.

And Lawrence gave a great performance so her winning is NOT a travesty. If Wallis had won, that would have been a real travesty. I do agree that Riva gave a better performance, but at least a talented actress won. Plus, she had a lot of goodwill from Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 11102/26/2013

She was really obnoxious when the camera would cut to her. The arm pumping was not good. Her mother should have told her to knock it off.

by Anonymousreply 11202/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!