Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NBC Primetime on the Skids

"Do No Harm" gone in two episodes. "Smash" viewers down 60%. "1600 Penn," "The New Normal" and others may not survive.

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013

Greenblatt has been a disaster for NBC. He makes Jeff Zucker look smart.

The network TV model is dead, and NBC is still playing by the old rules.

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

I thought NBC was #1 a couple of months ago. Que paso?

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

The entire basis of that success was football and "The Voice" r2 which are both done for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

The problem with NBC is that they develop shows they think will be buzz-worthy, water-cooler type shows to compete with cable.

They need to take a page from Brandon Tartikoff. Develop good quality shows. Then the audience and buzz will follow. See what demo and audience is not being served and develop a show to that target audience.

The past ten years NBC has gone young and tried to be hip and buzz-worthy to disastrous results.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

[quote]They need to take a page from Brandon Tartikoff. Develop good quality shows.

Like Punky Brewster?

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

R5 Like Cheers, Cosby Show, LA Law, shall I continue?

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

R2, did you read the link?

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

The New Normal isn't going anywhere. Neither is Go On. Both shows may have taken a hit in recent weeks, but they're still successful by NBC standards and NBC can't cancel everything. Smash may not be back next year if its ratings don't turn around, but it's not in any immediate danger of getting yanked off the schedule.

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

Neither Smash nor The New Normal are doing well by any standard and neither are likely to be renewed. Go On may get a second chance.

NBC has ordered 18 sitcom pilots - 18! - so they have plenty of options for replacing TNN.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

One problem is that the "traditional" tv audiences still watch the major 3 networks. These audiences contain aging fundamentalists who patrol network tv for "inappropriate behavior." Then they raise a stink and threaten boycotts.

HBO, Showtime and non-premium channels don't have to worry about that demographic. They can show sex, profanity and gore. If the Christian Family Values Association, Inc were to complain about the gore in "Walking Dead," or the nudity in "Game of Thrones," they'd be told by the network, "So stop watching."

But the 3 major networks are free with a tv antenna, so they are vulnerable to attack if they get too sexy, profane or gory.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

r10 is right.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

You mean "Whitney" hasn't saved the network yet?

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

NBC fucked up so badly when they put Leno on primetime those 5 nights a few years ago. It heavily damaged their long-term prospects.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Hi there!

Just dropping in to let everyone know that I do not watch network TV.

I'm great … and the envy of legions of losers just like you!

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

[R10] If that is true how has the vulgar and offensive program Whitney survived.

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

Look at what CBS and ABC have done right: CBS realized that the older demo might not be sexy, but they watch TV. So, they have tons of safe, old school procedurals. Nothing that's going to be remembered (Elementary?), but good ol' fashioned TV (Hawaii 5-0, NCIS, Person of Interest)

ABC has cornered the market on night time, multi-generational adult soaps. There is much more room for error here (666 Park Avenue), but when it hits, it hits (Ugly Betty, Brothers and Sisters, Revenge, Desperate Housewives, Lost).

Both channels developed brands that viewers instantly recognize and feel comfortable with.

NBC has no brand whatsoever. With an NBC drama, you literally don't know what to expect. They are all over the map. For Showtime or HBO, that's great. The viewership is younger or more intelligent or more willing to adapt to a good show. But the average network viewer wants predicable fare. NBC needs to develop its drama brand.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

It has been all about saving a buck at NBC. They are going to have to spend some money if they ever want to regain any relevance. I know my local NBC station - at least their news division - is very strong but continues to lose market share and money without strong lead-ins to their newscasts.

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

NBC will be trying its new 'Dracula' series later this year with Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

[quote]NBC Primetime on the Skids

I think "Do No Harm" actually left skid marks.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

They need to add "The Bonnie Hunt Programme".

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

All you need to know about who watches is by watching the nightly news on all three. Lots of stories about senior issues and practically every commercial is for some pill. It's mostly older people.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

[quote]NBC will be trying its new 'Dracula' series later this year with Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

They're about 3 years too late to ride that wave of vampire-related entertainment. But it's that kind of backward thinking that makes their dramas stink.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

What's going on with SVU? I keep hearing it will be renewed for another season, but I'm not sure. I would miss Danny Pino's beautifully defined chest.

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

Networks "brand" themselves by finding something that works and then copying the bejesus out of it. Every couple of years one of the networks gets in the doldrums, then they invest in riskier programming, something hits, and then they copy it. I think ABC was in last place when they green lit "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives."

NBC's failure was to try and import other network's successes ("Smash" from Fox's "Glee", "The New Normal" from ABC's "Modern Family", "Deception" from ABC's "Scandal") rather than to create something new.

The old programming model is dead. People won't watch something just because it's like something they already watch. There are so many original scripted programming options now. You have to create something different to get people interested. That's why "Downton Abbey" is such a huge hit, or "The Walking Dead." There's nothing else like that on TV.

"Brand" programming on cable tends to create anodyne product; TNT and USA have had trouble launching new series because they have nothing unique to add. All the buzzed-about programming is coming from HBO, Showtime, AMC and FX, because they take risks and invest in diverse programming.

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

For sophisticated viewers, I agree with you R24. But network viewers tend to be a bit more predictable. Both my mom and grandmother watch Homeland or Mad Men, but it took them a while to "try it".

They both watch the new fall network shows without needing to dip their toe first.

The difference between NBC, ABC, and CBS, is that my grandmother will watch any and all CBS new programming (and then stick with shows that she actually likes) my mom will try any and all ABC shows (then stick with the ones she likes), but neither will give NBC a chance.

I do think brand television isn't what it used to be, but it still exists and still has power in getting viewers to watch that very first time. After that? It's about quality.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

What are we-- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2013

Just heard Brian Williams announce that Comcast is buying the remaining shares (49%) from GE.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

You could've read it here first.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

R26, I watch the Kevin Bacon show on Fox, which will probably last this season and then die, and nothing on CW since the demise of Gossip Girl. So in essence, you're less than chopped liver.

by Anonymousreply 2902/12/2013

What's your point, R29??? Really??? Another thread was not started - only contributing a point to an established thread.

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2013

What the fuck are you talking about, R30 douche bag?

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2013

OOPS. That should have been R28.

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2013

Ah LORD and LAY-DEE Ah-DOUCHE BAGG!

by Anonymousreply 3302/12/2013

R18, there's also Hannibal.

NBC is president of the Fucking Lucky Club, TV network division, for getting a hit out of the relentlessly mediocre Revolution.

I am intrigued by their pilot The Hatfields And The McCoys which is set in modern day, is being produced by Charlize Theron and will star Virginia Madsen.

by Anonymousreply 3402/12/2013

BULLSHIT OP!

NBC is the greatest network in the history of television with only the most watched programs ever.

Tune in on March 3rd for the best show ever!

by Anonymousreply 3502/12/2013

[quote]Greenblatt has been a disaster for NBC. He makes Jeff Zucker look smart.

Greenblatt + Zucker should be banned from working in television.

by Anonymousreply 3602/12/2013

R22 Exactly. It's too late to jump on the vampire bandwagon and nobody is going to care about another Dracula reboot, especially as a television show. It will be another flop.

by Anonymousreply 3702/12/2013

[quote]Smash may not be back next year if its ratings don't turn around, but it's not in any immediate danger of getting yanked off the schedule.

I read that The Real Husbands of Hollywood on BET matched the season premiere of Smash among viewers under 50...and outrated it among those under 35!

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

SMASH is a goner, especially with Comcast taking over.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

SVU will probably do a curtailed "farewell" season this fall, much like what 30 Rock had. Maybe Meloni can be convinced to help close it out.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

Does Comcast have a particular grudge against SMASH, R39?

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

NBC was in worse shape from 1975-1984, then came Cosby and changed everything.

All it takes is one hit TV show to change it around. Everyone was talking about the death of ABC, then came Desperate Housewives and that changed everything.

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2013

They should give Olivia Newton-John a show.

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.