Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whatever you do, simply do NOT work for this company...ever!

I was looking for a job that offered benefits and a fulfillment center opened up about 10 miles from my house so I applied. The hours are actually great...6pm-4:30am (Sunday - Wednesday) which works well with my other job as a substitute teacher.

I started the week the plant opened (roughly 3 months ago) and everything was great. I survived the holiday season and had received nothing but positive feedback from my supervisors. in ft, one supervisor let me know that when he needed a cart packed by a certain time, he just brings them to me because he knows I will get it done in time and have zero quality issues.

About 2 weeks we learned that we had new Area Managers and this is when everything went to shit.

I received a written warning at the end of the new manager's first week saying that my rate/quota was bad. It covered the previous 6 weeks and I only failed to make rate once. Still I was "written up." No verbal, no coaching just a written warning that stays in my file for 30 days. If I fail to make rate again this month, then I am out the door.

Naturally I explained to the new AM that this wasn't fair since we had been slow after Christmas and had spent hours (literally) just standing around waiting for orders to be filled. How can one make rate if there is no work to be done? He said this was "no excuse."

Now for the past several days everything is in a constant state of flux. They are moving our stations around, playing with our rate numbers, etc...

Dd I mention they are awful liars, as well? During our stand-up meeting the other night, I asked if we could write a new program into our rate tracker to better give us a sense of where our rate stands when switching between multi-carts. I was told, "I'm sorry...but technology has not come that far yet."

Last Thursady night we were required to work an additional 10 hours of overtime. Again, there was not much work so if negatively affected peoples' rates. He is calling for more OT this week.

by Anonymousreply 5705/30/2013

I feel for you, OP. This sounds like what Borders was like toward the end, mutatis mutandis (our impossible metrics had to do with loyalty card signups) and Barnes & Noble now (loyalty card sales, plus impossible Nook tablet sales goals).

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

I've heard really bad things about their fulfillment centers, that they are being managed like you've described.

It's no different than Wal-mart or other places, folks - someone's getting the shaft to bring you your item that's $1.50 cheaper.

I'll rather spend the extra buck fifty, give that money to a store in my community and keep my local economy going.....

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Sounds horrendous, OP. You MUST get the fuck out, ASAP.

Is there a site where people who work for amazon can go and post their dissatisfaction? There must be. Otherwise you could start a Facebook group.

I know there was one for Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

For, OP...see link

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

[quote]I'll rather spend the extra buck fifty, give that money to a store in my community and keep my local economy going.....

My sentiments, exactly.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

Convinced you'd rather work for Amazon than down a coal mine? Read this first...

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

Here's the very long article the link @ R7 was based on.

It will probably interest, poor old, OP...who maybe should have read up a little before he joined amazon.

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

[quote] impossible metrics

That's what's fucking wrong with the world: metrics.

I long for the days when I used to just go to work, do my job, and go home. I detest having to quantify every single minute that I spend at my job every day.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

Here in England they make undercover documentaries about this sort of thing all the time.

People love them.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

Check out I am sure you will find Amazon there. Very telling the experience at different levels in a company or different geographies.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

Sounds like their procedures are in place to ensure that order fulfillment staff don't climb in salaries or benefits or promotion. They provide a constant reminder that staff are expendable and should not think of their work as anything more than static, supplemental income.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

Profiteers have reduced the US to a service economy. There are few good jobs. Bain Capital being the best known example of cutting good US jobs. Your job is to get cheap shit from China to the customer.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Residents of Robbinsville, New Jersey are getting a tax break thanks to Amazon. Their new distribution center will create $650,000 a year in taxes.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

Companies no longer want people working for them who understand how the business works. Once you get savvy, you can sell information about how the company works and how to sabotage it. So they get rid f people after a while. Especially ones who seem to be "getting it."

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

R15= Amy Jellicoe

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

I have Amazon Prime but I would rather wait an extra day or two for my order than do business with a company that treats its employees so horribly. I don't understand how they get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

Actually, I'm guessing the new area manager has an agenda, to replace the previous workers with people from his community.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

It's the new Corporate Capitalism, The Republicant's have blueprinted this scheme and the Democratic side is turning a blind eye in letting it happen.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

It's hardly new. It's an ideology that has been taught in business schools forever. But it is not professional or profitable.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

OP- you, your sister Jackie, Crystal and the rest should all just punch out and walk out that door.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

Interesting, OP.

R1 is worthless trash. So is R21.

This wouldn't be happening if there was a union. Dumb Americans let it happen over the past few decades. They cut their own throats and they've set up their successors for a miserable economic position.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

Here's a link to an article about Amazon's horrendous working conditions in the U.S.

One paragraph says:

"During summer heat waves, Amazon arranged to have paramedics parked in ambulances outside, ready to treat any workers who dehydrated or suffered other forms of heat stress. Those who couldn't quickly cool off and return to work were sent home or taken out in stretchers and wheelchairs and transported to area hospitals. And new applicants were ready to begin work at any time."

Can't provide air conditioning or ventilation, but can provide ambulance service to dispose of workers who collapse on the job.

Such kindness! Such caring! Such goddamned fucking dirtbags!

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

[quote]had spent hours (literally) just standing around waiting for orders to be filled.

Then why does it take three days for my order to ship?

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

What's wrong with R1?

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

You ain't seen nothin my boy.

Try working as an ICU RN, forced to care for 3 critically ill ventilated patients (national nurse-patient ratio is 1 RN to 2 pts), all at once. Cheap ass profit driven hospital management spews crap about maintaining the "highest standard of care" for patients but actually all they want to do is squeeze every bit of profit out of the place, often at the expense of beleaguered nursing staff.

Lives literally at stake. Changing jobs not an option as the market is flooded with new grads in my area. There are nights when I would thankfully fill carts at Amazon, or whatever it is you do OP.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

Yes, R26 -- and there's nothing more pathetic than a closeted Republican who trolls gay discussion boards. In addition to this being true with this thread's R1, it is also applicable of numerous life losers which include the likes of r-3 and r-43 at "It is time for non trade-able jobs to unionize."

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

Told my supervisor about these websites at work tonight and he was shocked. He said that he was glad we had air conditioners until I reminded him that we have "cooling units," not conditioning units. Big difference. All has been fine environmentally, but that is because we opened in mid-October and have not experience hot, humid summer days yet.

Found out one of our nightly supervisors is transferring out to day shift next week. Seems the stress is getting to him and he needs a break from it. He was starting to experience chest pains. he didn't announce this to everyone but later told me at my packing station.

Forgot to say earlier that we had an employee die last month. He was in his mid-50s and naturally was chosen to be a "picker." Pickers are the workers who walk on average 14-18 miles per 10 hour shifts. He finished his shift, went home and then keeled over with a massive heart attack. Of course the company attributed it to his age and they were kind enough to provide counseling on hand.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

[quote]That's what's fucking wrong with the world: metrics. I long for the days when I used to just go to work, do my job, and go home. I detest having to quantify every single minute that I spend at my job every day.

Couldn't have said it better. I was working for a company and they installed this timeclock software where we had to allocate a job number to every minute of the day. Of course everyone just made up whatever shit they could, loading the hours onto clients.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

That did it, I am never ordering anything from again! I am sorry you and your colleagues must put up with this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

[quote] What's wrong with R1?

He was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

They are turning the US into Japan and China where they actually have a word (in both langugages) for dying from work.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

r27, you speak the truth. I would also add that nurse managers are the spawn of the devil and eat their own. To retain nurses, they create all these titled management jobs and teach them to nit-pick, nag, and spy. The hospitals are full of too many chiefs and not enough indians, funneling all the salary money to the top and requiring that floor staff be bare-bones to make up the difference.

However, I wouldn't worry about the new grads. As an experienced nurse, you'd get picked any day of the week over a green nurse fresh from a shitty diploma mill. It's not like the new ones save them any money--in fact, they cost a hell of a lot to train and their hourly rates are only a couple of dollars cheaper than a seasoned nurse.

Jobs suck everywhere, though. It's only good to change jobs if you just can't stand to look at anyone at the old one anymore. Not-for-profit is mildly better than for-profit, too.

Our parents have no idea how good they had it. It's soul-killing to work in today's America.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

"Our parents have no idea how good they had it. It's soul-killing to work in today's America."

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

Why the hell aren't these stories all over the place in the mainstream media? Why aren't the people working in these conditions organizing? What the hell is wrong with all of us? We here all these stories and all anybody does is bitch about on the internet on FB and DL. That's not going to change anything, you're just preaching to the choir.

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

I'm trying to type around my cat, who's happily sleeping on my keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

These stories are not in the media because the media is sold out to the corporations and the right wing. They wouldn't even think of doing stories on that. But there is always room for something on Lena Dunham or football.

People should be organizing. The rightwing killed the organzing and progressive movement decades ago (remember the "red scare" of the 1950s?). Organizing is not even thought of as a possibility. People are depressed, tired. There is no organizing leadership and no labour movement for those who need it the most.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

[quote]People should be organizing. The rightwing killed the organzing and progressive movement decades ago (remember the "red scare" of the 1950s?).

Remember the red scare of the 1980s? Most of the blame for the current state of labor in this country lies on the shoulders of the Reagan and Bush administrations.

An awful lot of people in this country drank the kool aid. I listen to young people today harp about taxes and the welfare state, regurgitating the pablum their parents were fed 30 years ago, while not really having a clue about what their talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

From another thread:

[quote](32) You

[quote] Charges: You have an opinion on that Twilight slut that cheated on that other Twilight slut, and you’ll share it with anyone who’ll listen. You believe in ghosts, horoscopes, that criminalizing abortion would reduce abortion rates, karma, Fred Thompson’s reverse goddamn mortgages, that Hitler took people’s guns away, that the ATF ran guns into Mexico, and every other dumb-fuck thing because your brain’s an evolutionary mish-mash that’s better at retroactively justifying its near-instant emotional reactions than it is making rational sense of the world. You’re a subconscious brute, largely unaware of your own motivations–an animal automaton programed by biology and society to eschew reason in favor of blind prejudice, tribalism, social climbing, and a perverse ethos that values cowardice and conformity over imagination and the bravery to admit that your entire life is a moot point made by no one at all. And you’re a shitty driver.

[quote]Smoking Gun: Honey Boo Boo.

[quote]Sentence: Honey Boo Boo.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2013

R31 is a freeper troll, with fantasies of sucking off all the old men in his party. It can also be found having post @ r-41 on the thread about "$9 minimum wage."

by Anonymousreply 4302/13/2013

Excellent use of troll-dar, r43. Kisses, doll!!

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

Today's news.

[quote]Documentary claims workers in Germany mistreated

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

[quote]I'll rather spend the extra buck fifty, give that money to a store in my community and keep my local economy going.....

The local store is looking to make a buck out of you too, don't be fooled. Last time I bought a camera, I went to a local shop first, talked to the guy for 15 minutes and bought what he recommended after telling him about my needs. The camera sucked, and guess what? The store had a no returns policy. My fault for not asking before the purchase, but I got stuck with a camera that didn't do what I needed it to do. Put it up for sale on Amazon marketplace and bought a new one.

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

OP here...

I'm still at Amazon. In fact, there are only 4 of us left that started when they opened the place up back in October.

Our managers and ambassadors on a revolving door system. They come and go within weeks. Our equipment is broken and we have to make do with shitty materials/machines. Why they didn't purchase a service plan, none of us can figure out. I have approached HR and the building manager and they called me a liar when I said equipment is shoddy and we are not getting the materials (tape, boxes, etc...) that we need in order to do our jobs.

On the positive side, I do have an interview tomorrow at 2pm for a fulltime teaching job in the Fall. I am super excited as I have been substitute teaching for this high school for the past several years. The Department Chair is even going to join us and she is recommending to the Principal that he hire me.

I seriously hope there is light at the end of this tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 4805/30/2013

Good luck, I hope you get the full time job! My friend worked at Bank of America and when they moved to North Carolina (he worked in NYC) they got a new manger who was located in NCand started finding any excuse to fire people. He got fired for misfiring his expense report for some trip he had to take.

by Anonymousreply 4905/30/2013

R9 Metrics, agree. And "Coaching." When I read that word, I see a guy who #1 is either very young, or older and has never had a job requiring educ past 6th grade or, #2 Has worked for a woman.

We spend around a hundred thousand bucks to put a kid through 12 years of "school" in this country. See what happens when they take one of the Mexican jobs?

by Anonymousreply 5005/30/2013

Go German.

by Anonymousreply 5105/30/2013

Don't even know if going on strike is legal in the United States...

by Anonymousreply 5205/30/2013

It's always trouble when a report misfires, R49, but I'm glad to hear that the livestock got a new manger.

by Anonymousreply 5305/30/2013

I suspected there was more to the story when I realized the OP seemed to be aggressively qualifying what an excellent employee he/she was.

In three months, supervisor giving the OP excellent evaluations and stuff, bringing things to the OP "because he knows I'll get it done"... This could all be true, but it also seems a bit forced.

OP, look for a good job and be a good employee and things will work out.

by Anonymousreply 5405/30/2013

No one has said it better than R1.

by Anonymousreply 5505/30/2013

[quote]I suspected there was more to the story when I realized the OP seemed to be aggressively qualifying what an excellent employee he/she was.

Well, 4 months later and I'm still working there...

by Anonymousreply 5605/30/2013

R22 stabs at her keyboard with diabetes fingers while Mrs. Don Draper walks around her ankles unnoticed, waiting to be fed - if there IS any food.

by Anonymousreply 5705/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!