Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stephen King's "Under The Dome" 13-episode miniseries set to premiere on CBS June 24

Finally, a new King miniseries. I loved most of his 90s ABC miniseries, they were a big event and got great ratings, that's why there were so many of them. King's relationship with ABC soured with the ill-fated "Desperation" (2006), when most of the set burned to the ground, costing millions, and then it was scheduled against American Idol and tanked.

"Fans of the novel shouldn’t expect an exact retelling of the same story. Last we heard, writer Brian K. Vaughan’s (Lost) script for Dome was wisely using the novel’s setup as a launch pad for its own TV-format-friendly version of the story and might even lay the groundwork for a different outcome than the novel’s ending. Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons."

by Anonymousreply 55706/09/2014

He had other miniseries after those listed in the poll (it only allows 10 choices) mostly on basic cable. I don't like any of them.

Kingdom Hospital 2004 Salem's Lot 2004 Desperation* 2006 Nightmares and Dreamscapes 2006 Bag of Bones 2011

*intended as a 2 part miniseries, aired as a 3 hr tv movie

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

The 1979 Salem's Lot from Tobe Hooper is very very scary. Some of the stuff with the kids works in It, and Tim Curry is genius, but everything with the adults is horrendous. Everything else - no.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

I hope the miniseries is more interesting than the book. The book seemed to adhere strictly to the King formula which I got kind of tired of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Yeah I don't think I'll bother to read the book, at least not until I've seen what the miniseries is like. Since they're supposed to differ, the book would still have something different.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

Bad Poll:

None of the Above would be my choice.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

Now if they would only do a mini series of NEEDFUL THINGS. The movie was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

I agree that the 1979 version of Salem's Lot was scary - the Rob Lowe version was a huge mess. King gets all huffy if his stories are changed, but at they are written now (and the Dome is an example of this), they are wayyy too long

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

The final explanation for the Dome was hugely disappointing in the book. Just stupid and not remotely scary.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

The 2005 version of "Under the Dome" set in New Orleans was scarier.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

The Stand and It were good.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

"The Stand" was fantastic in an epic way but "It" traumatized me for years afterwards. I first saw it when I was a little boy and it really fucked me up. I couldn't sleep alone in my room for two weeks! The scene when Pennywise the Clown is luring the little brother into the sewers still makes me look at sewer grates with a side-eye lol.

My favorite King box office film is "Pet Semetary". Another horrifying tale although the book is much scarier.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

The Stand and It are both scheduled to be remade, and I'm looking forward to both. I believe The Stand will be a series of feature films and It will be on HBO. They both deserve to be remade and they'll both be even truer to the novels since there's no network television to get in the way.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Wow. 42 people voted. That's all that's left on DL, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

I say this as someone completely addicted to Stephen King's early works throughout my teens, reading each as soon as they were published, finishing up my run with the Talisman, I think...

The Dome was one of the most offensively stupid books I have ever read. I couldn't believe it. It made me wonder about all those other books I'd read and loved in my earlier years. I just couldn't believe what crap it was, it was like something written by a child.

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

I read Under The Dome and it wasn't terrible but it was to long and had Waaay to many subplots.

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

r13, I'm very excited for both!

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

We liked this the first time, when it was called "The Simpson Movie," but we don't really want to see the same plot all over again a second time.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

King was on David Letterman this week. I recorded it because I assumed it would be to talk about this miniseries.

But no. He was there with John Mellencamp and they were promoting something I didn't even understand. It sounded like they worked together to create a musical based on some story about Mellencamp's family cabin being haunted (or something).

Maybe I was missing something, but it seems like they have both an album of music, and a stage musical - although I don't remember them saying where the show can be seen.

Anyway - he didn't talk about Under The Dome at all. Or about his newest book. Or about his sequel to the Shining. He didn't talk about anything that I wanted to hear about.

by Anonymousreply 2006/08/2013

Amen, R9! I was pissed when I found out the "cause" of the dome. THAT was stupid beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 2106/08/2013

On his radio show Howard Stern said that the first episode is really good. I guess the studio sent him an advance copy.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

Touching image to promote the show. A boy and his dog.

by Anonymousreply 2306/13/2013

Since I will never see this, will someone spoil the ending of the book for me?

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2013

R26, did you watch The Original Star Trek series?

There was an episode where the crew were trapped by this seemingly omnipotent being who played and toyed with them.

Then it turns out he was really just a "kid" and his "mom" told him to stop playing with his "toys".

It was sorta like that.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2013

I chose "The Langoliers" because it's so god-awful that it's entertaining. Bronson Pinchot's performance is like watching a train colliding with a bus full of Mormons, simultaneously horrifying and delightful.

That being said, all those TV adaptations suffer from the same problem King's books have, the endings suck. OP also left off "Desperation."

by Anonymousreply 2606/13/2013

That description at r27 made me think of the Twilight Zone episode where a couple wake up in a strange house and find out they are the only people in an unknown town with no idea how they got there. Turned out they had become the 'pets' of some alien giants that had created the 'town' as a sort of fishtank to house them.

How was the dome explained in the Simpsons Movie?

by Anonymousreply 2706/13/2013

R29, in The Simpson's it was the government who isolated Springfield because they were so polluting (thanks to Homer and his silo of pig shit).

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2013

Has CBS been promoting this show? I don't watch much on the network so I don't see their commercials.

I was expecting the actors scheduled on some talk shows this week - but so far I don't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 2906/18/2013

i've seen this promoted seemingly nonstop at the movie theater of all places. they've had a "behind the scenes" program for about a month now like it's the most important show ever to hit the small screen.

it actually looks very tedious.

by Anonymousreply 3006/18/2013

Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) was on Jimmy Kimmel this week. He barely talked about Under The Dome though.

I can't even remember them showing a preview clip.

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

Maybe the cast doesn't want to discuss it until it starts airing, so the audience will have seen what they're talking about it. It's going to be on for months, after all, there's plenty of time.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

That "Star Trek" episode R27 mentions is spoofed by "Futurama" in 'Where No Fan Has Gone Before,' which features the voices of all of the TOS cast except James Doohan and DeForest Kelley.

by Anonymousreply 3306/20/2013

Finally starts tonight!

by Anonymousreply 3406/24/2013

Rachelle Lefevre and Dean Norris are on The Talk today to promote the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 3506/24/2013

Hope the show is good, bitches.

Oh, and Salem's Lot was a terrible miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 3606/24/2013

R17, I don't know what you're talking about. We can't get some homophobic and racist posters banned no matter what vile things they write.

by Anonymousreply 3706/24/2013

It SUCKED!!!

by Anonymousreply 3806/24/2013

I thought it was great, the critics agree. It gets a 72 on metacritic, which places it tied for 13th among new series, on a list of 65 new shows. Yeah it ain't #1, but it's still way up on that list.

I don't know if it'll be able to sustain the interest of the first episode, but I'd put it on par with Lost for now. We'll see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 3906/25/2013

Thought it was really well done. The crazy dude is HOT.

by Anonymousreply 4006/25/2013

It was pretty good. Liked the interracial lesbian couple with the teenage daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4106/25/2013

The first ep. was pretty damn good. I'll keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 4206/25/2013

Are they just gonna waste that cow?

by Anonymousreply 4306/25/2013

I liked it. Intriguing and scary.

Trelane was the bad child entity. I hope that's not the ending for this.

by Anonymousreply 4406/25/2013

The crazy dude was a terrible actor. And he looked like Andy Samberg's retarded cousin.

by Anonymousreply 4506/25/2013

I'll keep watching just because I want to see how it develops, but a lot of stuff didn't really ring true to me. Why did they keep saying they were "inside" before they knew it was a dome? It could've just been a giant wall. Wouldn't that be the first thing most people would think of?

Also, so far no one has tried to break or cut the wall? And wouldn't people be a lot more freaked out than they are?

by Anonymousreply 4606/25/2013

I am not familiar with a lot of Stephen King's work but watching it last night it seemed kind of derivative of the TV productions of his I have seen. And I agree with R47.

by Anonymousreply 4706/25/2013

It hasn't been long, believe me people are gonna start freaking the fuck out very soon.

by Anonymousreply 4906/25/2013

I don't know that the plane would have clued people into the dome. It could still have been an extreme wall.

by Anonymousreply 5006/25/2013

I liked it. I'm going to watch it. I wish they were doing it 13 nights in a row instead of 13 weeks.

Assface NBC is running a sci-fi serial at the same time starting next week. I'm going to avoid it in droves. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5106/25/2013

It's interesting the dome is opaque to radio waves and microwaves... but completely transparent to visible light and infrared. Presumably UV too, but we'll have to see if anyone gets a sunburn.

It's just kind of a weird discrimination of wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 5206/25/2013

Presumably it filters light the way its designers wanted it to.

Downloaded it and getting ready to watch it again right now.

by Anonymousreply 5306/25/2013

R48/R52. You can be "inside" a box. I think that is the assumption made when all directions had barriers.

by Anonymousreply 5406/25/2013

Here's the episode re-cap:

by Anonymousreply 5506/25/2013

That female cop is separated from her gorgeous muscle-hunk fireman husband. That would drive me insane, you can see him, but can't touch. Maybe the cop will just claw her way out and that'll be the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 5606/25/2013

Wasn't this the Simpsons movie?

by Anonymousreply 5706/25/2013

Other than "town under dome" I can't remember anything about the Simpsons movie. And the Simpsons movie could be considered a rip-off of The Bubble, a 60s 3D movie. If the only criteria is "town under dome", it's been done before. Other dome movies have been listed, maybe in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5806/25/2013

Salem's Lot scared the living fuck out of me.

I loved The Stand as a book, but it didn't translate well to the screen. I could never get past Laura San Giawhatever, her bad wig and horrendous acting.

by Anonymousreply 5906/25/2013

There were some good things about "The Stand" miniseries but they got too many things wrong, starting with the completely unscary, mullet-wearing Dark Man Randall Flagg.

by Anonymousreply 6006/25/2013

The ratings for the premiere were great for a summer series on CBS.

If it keeps doing well and CBS gives it a Season 2 pickup, I wonder if they will have future seasons in the summer, or move it to the more traditional TV seasons.

by Anonymousreply 6106/26/2013

To your point, r54, on the physical properties of the dome, it also blocks sound waves but allows air to pass through (rather briskly, in fact, since there was a breeze in some scenes).

At the same time, the smoke from the airplane crash stayed suspended for a while but I'm not sure if it eventually dissipated through the dome.

Personally, I'm willing to suspend disbelief on how the dome can have all of these contradictions because I find the overall concept entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 6206/26/2013

I hope they change the explanation from the one in the book, because it is laughable and will not sustain a very long series.

by Anonymousreply 6306/26/2013

They creators said they've changed the ending. I thought nothing could be worse than the giant spider in the IT miniseries, until I read the book after and it had all that crap about the giant turtle.

by Anonymousreply 6406/26/2013

I liked The Dome, but I was a bit confused as to why the airplane parts landed inside the dome, instead of sliding off the side of it.

by Anonymousreply 6506/26/2013

You do seem confused r67, the plane was captured inside the dome when it appeared. It only had a minute or so before it inevitably hit it, but it was inside the whole time, that's why the parts fell inside.

by Anonymousreply 6606/26/2013

Was I the only one a little surprised by the sex scene between Junior and the candy striper at the beginning of the show? I guess I don't watch a lot of network TV these days, but it seemed pretty graphic to me. You could see him clearly thrusting his hips underneath her. It seemed more AMC than CBS to me. Not that I'm complaining, mind you....

by Anonymousreply 6706/26/2013

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was, they need to get moving because they now only have a certain amount of air. So the dome lets air through? Sloppy not to mention it. But I feel like you do, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6806/26/2013

I enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed when I read an interview where they are talking about a potential second season. This seems to be a perfect example of something that could be great for one season, but has a premise that will implode or get ridiculous if they try to stretch it beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 6906/26/2013

I'm a Stephen King fan but I thought "Under the Dome" was the worst thing he's ever written. I gave the series a chance and actually think it might be better than the book. I'll definitely be watching the next episode. OT,If they do a remake of The Stand I think Iwan Rheon (the guy who plays Ramsey on GOT) would be fantastic as Randall Flagg.

by Anonymousreply 7006/26/2013

I haven't read the book, and think his latest work doesn't have the magic of his early peak period. But the miniseries does diverge from the book, they've said that all along. It could be better than the book, and if it is, King can still get direct credit. He invented a lot of the story they're still using, and he's an EP of the series (along with Spielberg.) King was a big Lost fan, and I wouldn't doubt he's helped shape this series to have a similar feel.

by Anonymousreply 7106/26/2013

In the book it was alien kids who put the town under the dome for amusement.

by Anonymousreply 7206/26/2013

Which means King ripped-off Twilight Zone again, this time that episode where the couple wake up in that cardboard town. Well he wouldn't be King without constantly borrowing from obvious sources. I do say that as a fan, I don't mind it much.

by Anonymousreply 7306/26/2013

There is probably enough oxygen in that vast dome to keep the trapped animals living for quite some time, especially since there are also trees which will transform CO2 into oxygen.

I imagine there should not be any wind but they didn't have the budget to eliminate signs of wind from every shot.

Of course it's a little silly of us to insist that this thing follow the laws of science.

R66--Please don't talk about the ending or provide any other spoilers from the book.

by Anonymousreply 7406/27/2013

[quote]If it keeps doing well and CBS gives it a Season 2 pickup

Um, how would they do a season 2 when season 1 is meant to tell the whole story? I presume by the end of series 1 the King novel will have been told start to finish. Will another dome drop over them?

by Anonymousreply 7506/27/2013

Now that we've seen how good tv can be with some of the HBO, Showtime, and AMC series, this seemed woefully paint-by-numbers.

I mean, I love that the reporter at a local newspaper (haha) can afford a nice house and what looks like a professional hair and make-up job every day.

The lesbian couple was so clearly a cast-by-committee job, hitting every "minority" demographic in one swoop. You could practically see the strategy meetings where they went through the pros-and-cons of different race/income level/hipness factor pairings.

I've been spoiled by television that no longer has to be concerned with pleasing advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 7606/27/2013

r77, I have no idea how they'll do it, but they've said all along that the series will be open-ended, leaving open the possibility of further seasons. If the ratings hold out, we'll get more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 7706/27/2013

R77, the local reporter is married to a doctor.

I'm sure there's a nice cable shows thread you can go ruin.

by Anonymousreply 7806/27/2013

Are you sure the lesbian couple isn't interracial in the book? I see no reason to be cynical about the gay couple, remember, or for your information, King's daughter is an out lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7906/27/2013

Perhaps there will be a fight with the aliens who do this.

by Anonymousreply 8006/27/2013

R77, you mean the editor of the newspaper who is married to a doctor? Your complaint is fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8106/27/2013

Nothing else is on over the summer. I will watch for nothing else but hot as fuck mike vogel. I luvs him.

by Anonymousreply 8206/27/2013

I, too, had heard it was only supposed to be a one-shot television event, not an ongoing series, but then if the ratings are good, of course you can count on the network to try to drag it out for as long as possible.

by Anonymousreply 8306/28/2013

Im ok with 13 episodes. At least i know that going and and wont get invested. And MV is hot.

by Anonymousreply 8406/28/2013

I was actually surprised by how good the premiere was. I'm actually looking forward to the next episode...

by Anonymousreply 8506/28/2013

King talking about how he approves of the ways that the miniseries is veering away from the book.

Among the changes is the explanation for the dome. And maybe the new reason will be the way that they can explain future seasons of the program...but that's just me guessing.

by Anonymousreply 8606/29/2013

The Rules of the Dome...

by Anonymousreply 8706/29/2013

Cool, R89. Thanks for posting that.

[quote]Memorize it and see if the show sticks to the laws of its universe as the series continues.

This. I think this will be the key to whether the series, if extended to future seasons, will work or not. If the writers stick to these rules and not change them to suit their storyline from week to week, it might have a chance. (I think the riskiest one might be the "no phone calls inside the dome" rule, especially if we happen to at some point see a character talking on the telephone).

by Anonymousreply 8806/29/2013

I like the show, but get frequently distracted by looking at Mike Vogel.

by Anonymousreply 8906/30/2013

Mike Vogel sure is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 9006/30/2013

Repeat of the pilot episode airing now.

by Anonymousreply 9106/30/2013

I want to see Mike Vogel's feets.

by Anonymousreply 9206/30/2013

The opening ratings for “Dome” last Monday qualified as spectacular: more than 13.5 million viewers for the premiere, the biggest audience for a summer drama in more than 20 years. The show added more than three million more viewers when three days of delayed viewing was counted, CBS announced Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2013

Lesbian couple ain't in the book, kids.

by Anonymousreply 9407/01/2013

It's a rip-off of Koushun Takami's Battle Royale!!!

by Anonymousreply 9507/01/2013

Interesting r96, but King's daughter is still openly-gay, so it's in keeping with his work because his books did include more gay characters after she came out. It's not a forced PC thing, even if the couple is interracial. Big deal, interracial couples exist, and gays are probably more open to them. Anyone who's never had interracial relationship in this day and age, seems kinda odd to me. I wish people would just calm down and appreciate the gay visibility.

by Anonymousreply 9607/01/2013

Thoughts on episode 2? I liked it - and finally identified Beth Broderick!

Some of the dialogue, especially in exposition mode, was awful. The Reverend and Jim spoke as if they were aware a TV audience were watching. And the lesbians line "Can you imagine our neighbors in Brentwood helping out like this?" "I don't even know who our neighbors ARE" provoked eyerolls. There had better be a local dyke to counteract the big city lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 9707/02/2013

What provoked eye-rolls in you, echo'd truth to my ears. I have no fucking clue who my neighbors are (big city), but my parents (small town) know all of theirs, even though they're not out-going, social people.

I like that 'big city lesbians' are just treated matter-of-factly so far. Nobody raising eyebrows or getting bent out of shape. I hope that keeps up.

by Anonymousreply 9807/02/2013

Is this town supposed to be in New England or ??? I thought it was on the East Coast somewhere, but I also found it odd the way they referred to the ZebraDykes as visiting from Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 9907/02/2013

I loved the second episode almost as much as the first.

I'm still frustrated by some of the unnatural behavior... nobody else is flocking to the radio station to get more info? Really? Those scientists spraying the dome with water didn't show ANY interest in the people on the inside, or the fact that some of the water got through? If they're running experiments, isn't that precisely the kind of stuff they'd want to know??

They tried to explain some of it away with the notion that the people outside were told not to interact with those inside, but that rings hollow too. You'd think SOMEONE would do SOMETHING... message (writing on paper) passing, etc.

And at first, I thought the preacher man WANTED to burn down the house, the way he purposely kicked the trash can over by the curtains. Why would he do that and then panic after seeing the obvious results?? Seriously?

But these issues are minor in the face of what this show does well, imho.

by Anonymousreply 10007/02/2013

I just assumed the town was in or near California (northern CA, due to the lack of palm trees) because the ZebraDykes were driving from their home in Brentwood. So perhaps the town is no more than a few hours' drive from LA.

by Anonymousreply 10107/02/2013

I guess I thought East Coast because "Chester's Mill" doesn't sound like a West Coast place name.

by Anonymousreply 10207/02/2013

Yeah I thought he intended to set the place on fire. You have to be a special kind of idiot to just drop a burning pile of paper into a trash can and not expect anything to happen.

I found it odd that the scientists outside don't seem to want any input from people inside the dome. The kid would just need to stick a note up about water seeping through to let them know. I imagine it'll be picked up on. I'm conflicted about this, but I would sort of like one episode to do a complete POV shift and focus on those outside.

It's interesting what they're setting up so far. It's like Planet of the Apes under a dome - I haven't read the book, but Barbie and Jim are clearly going to be competing as 'town good guy'.

Also - the woman at the radio station is CHERITA CHEN!

by Anonymousreply 10307/02/2013

I loved the second episode too. Love that macho kick-ass female cop, I'll bet all the straight guys into dominatrices love her.

You can already tell the first 13 episodes are going to be as good as the early seasons of Lost. We all know it might go into the crapper after that, but the first season will still be fab.

by Anonymousreply 10407/02/2013

All of Stephen King's stuff takes place in New England.

The book takes place in Maine.

The TV show hasn't been explicit about the state (that I can recall), but it's filmed on the east coast (in North Carolina).

They tend to show the coast-line with the water to the right in maps and establishing shots. This also points to east coast.

by Anonymousreply 10507/02/2013

Barbie is fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 10607/02/2013

R104, I think Chester's Mill is a nod to Grover's Mill in War Of The Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 10707/02/2013

Mike Vogel was great in Bates Motel as well. Both have the small town corruption thing going on.

I think I missed a bit - what kind of camp were the lesbians bringing their daughter to? Was it some kind of disciplinary boot camp?

I wish Junior would just die in a fire. The actor is kind of terrible - he should be pretty, but he looks like Andy Samberg with slightly darker skin crossed with the Joker.

by Anonymousreply 10807/02/2013

What's the deal with the secret stash of propane tanks, and why are they covering it up?

by Anonymousreply 10907/02/2013

R111, you'll have to stay tuned to find out.

What, you think we all know the answer to an obvious mystery?

by Anonymousreply 11007/02/2013

I enjoyed the second episode, but agree this will be best if they don't try to stretch it beyond the planned 13 episodes. I could see it go off the tracks otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 11107/02/2013

"Also - the woman at the radio station is CHERITA CHEN!"

Okay, that's the coolest thing so far.

Didn't they allude that the "propane" thing had something to do with meth? And that the preacher guy was getting high (which sort of half-assed-ly explains his stupidity re the fire)?

by Anonymousreply 11207/02/2013

I haven't seen enough of Cherita to know for sure if she's a good actress, but I immediately thought she's a lot prettier than the Drop Dead Diva woman.

by Anonymousreply 11307/02/2013

King's books didn't include more gay couples after Naomi came out. His books became significantly less homophobic. He had always used 'gay panic' as a device, and stopped doing it after she came out.

by Anonymousreply 11407/02/2013

Enjoying it immensely so far but do wonder how much the producers/writers are paying attention to the "little" details. For instance, every time I see a character jump into their car and speed away, the first thing I wonder is if, at some point, will all the cars run out of gas? And if so, what then? At some point will we see a bunch of dead cars and trucks sitting all around the town?

by Anonymousreply 11507/03/2013

That "Rules of the Dome" release is simply to explain away the wind that they are too cheap to CGI out of the shots.

by Anonymousreply 11607/03/2013

People anywhere would form a bucket brigade to save their neighborhood from fire if they had no fire department. It's self preservation, not country friendliness.

Does anyone else find it odd that the people outside the dome have no reaction to what is happening inside? Not to a fire or a gunfight. Can they not see in? Have we ever seen a shot into the dome from the outside?

R117--They have gas stations which can hold a lot of fuel.

by Anonymousreply 11707/03/2013

Are there any examples of CGI'ing out wind in movies or tv? The wind is constant, so they'd have to be CGI'ing constantly. Sounds impractical. To those complaining, what if they aren't being cheap but simply doing it the only way possible? I think it'd be cost prohibitive to CGI out the wind, the network still has to make a profit on this thing.

by Anonymousreply 11807/03/2013

The hoarding of propane suggests that the trio know about the dome in advance. That's all we know for now.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned the expository dialogue. It shows that the writers' think their audience is too stupid to learn through paying attention to details.

I can't imagine there is anyone who would light the receipts on fire at all, let alone through the burning paper into a wastebasket full of paper. Why not just stick them in his pocket and destroy them later?

by Anonymousreply 11907/03/2013

[quote]The hoarding of propane suggests that the trio know about the dome in advance. That's all we know for now.

Actually, it was insinuated that it might APPEAR that way to some if they discovered it, but that it was of course NOT the reason.

by Anonymousreply 12007/03/2013

I think the whole damn thing is turning into a boring soap opera. There's more interpersonal horse shit being focused on than the dome/event itself. I have never like Stephen King's stories with the exception of, "Christine." I think I liked film, Christine, because of the casting as much as the story itself. All the rest were too convoluted and suffered from disappointingly weak endings. This problem plagues most current films too.

by Anonymousreply 12107/03/2013

[quote]I can't imagine there is anyone who would light the receipts on fire at all, let alone through the burning paper into a wastebasket full of paper. Why not just stick them in his pocket and destroy them later?

It's convenient shit like this that turns me off. Lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 12207/03/2013

R124 - you may call it "lazy writing", but in all seriousness, there are really stupid people out there! Consider 30% of our country votes Republican, the actions of the priest were not so off the wall.

I think that is what makes Stephen King stories so great. They are easily relatable to the whacked out people we know in our own lives. Sure, they are taken to extremes, but the evil in men knows no bounds. If that isn't a quote...it should be. : )

by Anonymousreply 12307/03/2013

[quote]They have gas stations which can hold a lot of fuel.

R119, true, but I was talking about once all of the gas stations in town run out of fuel and no trucks can get through the dome to deliver more, what then? Will the writers think to address such an issue? Probably not (you can't think of everything I suppose) but it was just something that crossed my mind.

[quote]I think the whole damn thing is turning into a boring soap opera. There's more interpersonal horse shit being focused on than the dome/event itself.

I thought about this last night. Though I'm certainly not bored yet, I do think the writers will have to be careful not to allow the dome to become just background while the primary focus is on the residents' various soap opera-inspired plotlines (I'm already tired of the story about the girl locked in the basement).

by Anonymousreply 12407/03/2013

It does at times look like the outsiders can't see in because they don't seem to react to anything. But in the first show Vogel stopped the fire truck by waving at it. They didn't even pay attention when the pacemaker blew out of that guys chest.

by Anonymousreply 12507/04/2013

I love how the ginger woman said it was a drought but the scene before outside the diner looked like it just rained. And how the fuck is there so much wind? And why is that shitty pirate radio station running so many lights? Fuckwits

by Anonymousreply 12607/04/2013

I'm enjoying it, but there are small things that seem a little off. Why would the sheriff have his will in a filing cabinet at work?

by Anonymousreply 12707/04/2013

[quote]They didn't even pay attention when the pacemaker blew out of that guys chest.

Yeah, that was really annoying. It's clear that the dome is perfectly clear to outsiders. There's no way they wouldn't have reacted. Ditto with the boys and the scientists spraying water against the dome. There would have been some pretty intense communication going on there, imho.

[quote]And how the fuck is there so much wind?

Good question. The dome is HUGE, so there's abound to be some uneven heating causing air circulation, but flat out wind is probably not something you'd see. And it would never really rain again, even if the dome is tens of thousands of feet high, I doubt you'd see much in the way of rain.

The fact that there's still so much electricity (remember, gas station pumps require electricity to operate!) is another annoyance. They pay lip-service to generators, but still. And think about water and sewage... is this town supposedly self-contained in that department? Connections with the outside have been severed... and as we've seen, some of the severing occurred in the middle of buildings. So there's got to be underground water/sewage leaking going on at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 12807/04/2013

I wondered if there was supposed to be a power plant in town, due to everyone still having electricity.

by Anonymousreply 12907/04/2013

I thought the first episode was terrible, so I didn't watch the second,

by Anonymousreply 13007/04/2013

Is this the dog from the last episode? It looks like he's outside of the dome in this picture:

by Anonymousreply 13107/05/2013

Another thing about them driving everywhere is that they're not worrying about car emissions building up.

by Anonymousreply 13207/05/2013

Well, it's a HUGE dome. I don't think they have to worry about oxygen or "emissions building up" any time soon.

Keep in mind few if any of them are thinking this is 'forever'... most still are in denial about what it is (and until the last episode, none knew for sure it was a 'dome')

by Anonymousreply 13307/05/2013

Aren't they only into their second day under the dome now? They'll probably have some sort of town meeting to figure out restrictions and other stuff to worry about, before one group inevitably goes all Animal Farm on the rest.

by Anonymousreply 13407/05/2013

The TV show is so much unlike the book that it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. But, I agree it should be left with 13 episodes, however only ratings will tell.

by Anonymousreply 13507/05/2013

R103, it must be somewhere on the East Coast because Freddy told Linda his brother was planning to take her to Hawaii for their honeymoon and she said she had just assumed they'd have to settle for Niagara Falls.

by Anonymousreply 13607/05/2013

It's in Maine, not far from the fictional town of Derry. (It's a Stephen King thing, after all.)

by Anonymousreply 13707/05/2013

Some of you bitches aren't paying close enough attention. Several questions stated here have already been answered:

1. Yes, outsiders can see inside the dome. That was established on the final cutaway shot in the premiere, which was from a POV *outside* the dome. (Pay attention to the sound effects - you hear the fire engines and helicopters and whatnot that can't be heard inside the dome.)

2. The dome is not "huge" - it's 10 miles across in any direction, as stated in ep. 2 by the kid doing the math. If we're assuming it's an even-sized half-globe above ground level, that would make it five miles tall at its center - again, relatively high, but still well below the level a commercial airline would fly.

3. Small towns on the East Coast typically have septic systems and well water, so it is believable that they'd still have full use of their plumbing. It is not believable that they'd waste so much generator power on needless electricity; generators run on gasoline, and there can't be more than one or two gas stations in a town that size. That said, it doesn't look like anyone in town is driving anywhere except for the police and town council, so there should presumably be enough gasoline to last a while. Also, the town's microclimate should absorb any emissions from the few vehicles being used.

Btw I can already predict several upcoming plots. First, there will be at least one attempt to go underneath the dome via sea; I'm surprised no one's attempted it already, unless we're supposed to believe the town has no scuba gear whatsoever. I'm also guessing that it'll be at that point that people figure out it's not actually a dome, but more like a *globe* they're stuck in. Second, the clues in the Rules of Under the Dome lead somewhere. The dome has its own microclimate and wind, but remains fully permeable by the light and warmth of the sun - but somehow it's *not* affected by global warming? It would not surprise me at all if the dome turns out to be some sort of parable about seeking a way to stop global warming, in effect by ultimately encasing the entire Earth in such a dome. Finally, the writers made an awfully big point this week of illustrating that the town hasn't had rain "all year"- which, this being New England and not Texas, is exceedingly unlikely, and again points towards a solution involving global warming. Bets on how long it'll be till it starts raining inside the dome while it remains bone-dry outside?

As for the propane storage thing, I'm guessing it has to do with one (or more) of several facts. First, natural gas is the only fossil-based fuel the Earth has in abundance; the US has at least 300 years' worth alone, and more and more is being discovered daily via fracking (which could also have something to do with the plot - fracking is a huge issue in the NE these days). Second, propane is an exceptionally useful processed fuel; it can be used for everything from fueling cars (via compressed natural gas) to heating homes and ovens, and for all we know the series might introduce a (fictitious) method for it to be converted into electricity. Third, it's entirely possible that the propane is being used to power the dome itself. It simply makes sense -- particularly if the dome is, in fact, a globe -- that it's being powered from within, and if it's in a precise circular fashion, that the power source is at the dome's precise center (which btw could very well be underground somewhere - we know the dome goes into subterranean levels, but we don't know yet if the exact middle of this theoretical globe is at sea level - which, since the town is on the sea, is roughly the same as ground level).

by Anonymousreply 13807/06/2013

[quote]Well, it's a HUGE dome. I don't think they have to worry about oxygen or "emissions building up" any time soon.

I'm pretty sure the Republicans were saying something similar ten years ago on the subject of climate change. Heck, a lot of them are still saying it.

by Anonymousreply 13907/06/2013

Can someone post a screen shot of that map of the town?

by Anonymousreply 14007/06/2013

I don't know, this is pretty standard high concept tv sci fi so far, of the Revolution ilk. Something like this, the writing and acting has to be exceptional with very interesting characters because the central mystery is meted out in two minute segments at the end of every episode and is incapable of sustaining the series on its own.

So far, it's not doing that. I'm giving it one more episode and I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 14107/06/2013

I agree with the Revolution comparison, except the Dome does every right that Rev does wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14207/06/2013

In the book, I don't think there are that many homes/houses near the dome. I thought it was on the outskirts of town.

by Anonymousreply 14307/08/2013

I still don't understand how the reporter has time to get a professional blow out every day - her hair looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14407/08/2013

SIMPSON'S MOVIE REFERENCE!!!

"They totally saw it coming!"

by Anonymousreply 14507/08/2013

r146 welcome to the magical world of tv, where everybody looks professionally styled no matter what the circumstances. It could be a nuclear holocaust, and all the women would still have thick, luxurious hair, $300 blow-outs and expertly applied makeup.

by Anonymousreply 14607/08/2013

This show gets worse and worse. I hate the Reverend, the teen guy with long hair and the ginger chick. They're all terrible.Mike Vogel is hot. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 14707/08/2013

When it's about Barbie, it's good.

When it's about the dome itself, it's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14807/08/2013

Who would cast the very hot but terrible actress Natalie and then put her in a an I'll-fitting cop costume?

by Anonymousreply 14907/09/2013

I don't think she's terrible, I think she's a really good actress. She's one of the best things on the show.

by Anonymousreply 15007/09/2013

Haven't seen ep2 yet (my torrent connection is slow, lol) but I wasn't that impressed with the premiere.

Most of the characters were very commonplace and cliche (gruff old cop with a (bad) heart of gold, over-eager ethnic rookie cop, middle-aged waitress /owner of the diner, handsome stranger with a secret, etc etc).

I've seen worse, but I've definitely seen better, too.

I'll watch eps 2&3, and if it's still "meh", won't continue. Hopefully, this show will improve.

by Anonymousreply 15107/09/2013

Is it just me or does Stephen King seem to use the same stock characters over and over and over and over?

by Anonymousreply 15207/09/2013

Ep 3 sucked, no doubt about it. Way too much of the crazy guy holding the girl captive, not nearly enough DOME or lesbian couple, which at least is topical and edgy they face the townsfolk's homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 15307/09/2013

3 episodes in and it's getting kinda bad. Big Jim is such a mustache twirling villain - he might as well be Jafar. The teenagers are beyond stupid - you know it's network TV when you have all of the teen stereotype boxes are checked. And Joe still hasn't noticed that his sister is gone.

by Anonymousreply 15407/09/2013

MORE MIKE VOGEL PUHLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 15507/09/2013

I only caught the last fifteen minutes and previews for next week, but I have gone from thinking a 13 episode season is perfect and hoping they don't stretch it beyond that to thinking a five part miniseries would have been about right.

I agree too much guy holding girl captive. Who wants to see that for multiple episodes. And the crazy guy is more annoying than interesting.

Don't hate the show - but not as into it as I was initially.

by Anonymousreply 15607/09/2013

Do we know how the ratings are? If they're bad the show would end after 13 episodes. I agree with R158 about not stretching it out to a regular series.

by Anonymousreply 15707/09/2013

[quote]This show gets worse and worse. I hate the Reverend, the teen guy with long hair and the ginger chick. They're all terrible.Mike Vogel is hot. That is all.

Can't you just stop watching it?

by Anonymousreply 15807/09/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 15907/09/2013

i am in love with VOgel.

by Anonymousreply 16007/09/2013

For fuck's sake R160, stop making sense. It's so unwelcome.

by Anonymousreply 16107/09/2013

got better with age

by Anonymousreply 16207/09/2013

I enjoyed the book, but the CBS production values are so cheesy - everything on CBS looks the same, and it's not good.

by Anonymousreply 16307/09/2013

Last episode was dull. Crazy guy is superhot, but the writing is pretty stale.

And I agree about the production values. I wish it were on NBC which gives their shows great production budgets. Hannibal, for example, was beautifully shot.

by Anonymousreply 16407/09/2013

The homophobic characters were handled pretty badly. Some people are so blatant in real life, but the "How does that work?" "A reformatory - to pray the gay away?" and all that shit had me cringing.

by Anonymousreply 16507/10/2013

This was the first episode during which I thought about not watching again. And I doubt there's going to be a scene where Barbie fucks Junior in the ass, so I may not remember to watch next Monday.

by Anonymousreply 16607/10/2013

We watched the first two episodes and that was it. I think it's horrible...acting is horrible, script is even worse. It's hard for me to believe that both Spielberg and King are executive producers of this piece of garbage. The funny thing is, I was really looking forward to it, as I'd read the book and found the concept fascinating (although I'm not generally a fan of King's books). Too bad.

IMO, the only thing worth watching it for is seeing that gorgeous Mike Vogel. But even he's not enough to make me tune in again.

by Anonymousreply 16707/10/2013

The cow getting sliced in two was the best part. It's been downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 16807/10/2013

Does anyone else think Mike Vogel's body is kind of stumpy?

If outsiders can see in why don't they react to anything happening? Would a gunfight or a fire right near the edge of the dome attract some attention? No effort to communicate in writing which would be possible.

The military must want them totally isolated. Why?

by Anonymousreply 16907/10/2013

At the second episode, before shutting off the TV, I growled at my roommate, "They said this was supposed to be good!"

They don't know shit.

by Anonymousreply 17007/10/2013

Vogel makes the show. Just caught up on the latest episode. Kinda slo moving for a limited series. I hat junior and big jim. Te chick from twilight is annoyine.

by Anonymousreply 17107/10/2013

I think they should have made it a 5-night miniseries like ABC used to do with its King adaptations and been done with it. Dragging it out for 13 weeks is just going to be too much.

I'll try to hang in for as long as I can but it's going to have to be better than this past Monday's installment.

by Anonymousreply 17207/10/2013

The best (and prettiest) actress is being wasted locked in a cellar in a storyline that has absolutely nothing to do with the dome.

by Anonymousreply 17307/10/2013

The female cop with the horsey voice annoys me. I'm tired of the girl in the underground thing. Why would they just happen to have chains to tie her up like that? Have they used it before? Her brother just doesn't even notice his sister has been mia for 2 days? That annoying gothy girl annoyed me just decides to ditch her moms after having a seizure, for 2 days, like tralala. Hate her. Annoying. I wanna punch that Asian with the long hair. Shut up alleged witty stoner character. Yet I keep watching cause I wanna see what's gonna happen. lol. The dome, why who?

by Anonymousreply 17407/10/2013

What really sucks is that they just should have stuck to the plot of the book. Well, except for the reason behind the dome, but everything else was quite good and compelling for a 13-episode series.

Btw, why does that Julia-Fool tell anyone and everyone that she's a journalist like five times every episode? We get it, twat! You're a journalist!

by Anonymousreply 17507/11/2013

It's moving a little too slow, but I am curious about the reason for the dome and what's going to happen when food/water gets scarce, which is bound to happen so I'm hanging in there. I never read the book.

So far, I'm liking the humpalicious Mike Vogel and the guy/girl at the radio station - I hope those two get more screen time. The goth chick and the Asian hipster both need to die soon.

They've seemed to have covered all the PC bases with the lesbian couple.

by Anonymousreply 17607/11/2013

Looks like CBS should have called this "Under The Dome with Mike Vogel".

by Anonymousreply 17707/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 17807/12/2013

R165, the people who write and work on these shows have been living in the L.A. bubble for years. They have no idea what life outside the entertainment world is like. Thus, we get the ham handed homophobes and the small town reporter with the Fred Segal wardrobe and daily blowout and make-up job.

by Anonymousreply 17907/12/2013

Well, three eps and I'm out. I wanted to give it a fair shot because I liked the concept, and decent shows are so thin on the ground over the summer, but this has been getting progressively worse since the pilot. This last episode wasn't only thick with teh_stupid, but the nail in the coffin for me was that it was deadly DULL.

There's far too much attention being given to boring characters I don't give a shit about, and not remotely enough to the dome, or people trying to find out about it, how it works, what it is, trying to communicate with the outside world etc. None of that makes sense. The writing SUCKS.

by Anonymousreply 18007/13/2013

[quote]There's far too much attention being given to boring characters I don't give a shit about, and not remotely enough to the dome, or people trying to find out about it, how it works, what it is, trying to communicate with the outside world etc. None of that makes sense.

I completely agree. Such a fascinating concept for a miniseries and it's being squandered so that the focus can be on all these boring characters who don't seem nearly as bothered by the fact they're encased inside a fucking dome as they should be. And I feel sorry for the actress trapped not in the basement but in that suck-ass storyline. I hope she at least got a decent paycheck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 18107/13/2013

Please refer to this as the mike vogel programme

by Anonymousreply 18207/13/2013

Watched the first ep and gave up. A fucking dome has just encased a town and none of the characters seemed all that bothered (except the ones having spontaneous fits).

It seemed a poor production compared to the likes of The Walking Dead etc.

by Anonymousreply 18307/13/2013

This show boring, ya'll.

by Anonymousreply 18407/14/2013

Just started watching, into the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 18507/15/2013

Why isn't anyone paying attention to that smart teenager?

by Anonymousreply 18607/15/2013

It's getting bad fast. The whole dying teacher thing was embarrassing.

Junior giving that rallying speech was pretty cool. And I liked the videotape of the kids having their seizures. Oh, and Barbie kicking the guy's wheelchair was shockingly out of character in a good way. But those were pretty much the only decent moments.

by Anonymousreply 18707/16/2013

I loved the first episode, but each episode has been a notch down, except for the two moments that R187 already mentioned (the kids having seizures especially).

I found myself only half paying attention to the show last night... doing a few chores, not really caring if it was a commercial or not.

I'm in to the end, but I sure hope something more interesting happens soon.

by Anonymousreply 18807/16/2013

The crisis of the week thing is wearing thin. Loved Joe and Norrie filming the seizures. Julia Shumway is so fucking irritating. She's a journalist in flyoverville reminding everyone of it every thirty seconds. The writer-as-detective thing is so easy to fuck up - King has used it countless times. Lana Banana in AHS is a good use of the trope. Shumway is like if Deb Messing played Lois Lane.

by Anonymousreply 18907/16/2013

I liked the latest episode, it's back to feeling Lost-like. Episode 3 is pretty much just a blur of crap to me in my memory, but there was definitely too much of the captive girl storyline, though that subplot was more interesting in episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 19007/16/2013

Agree with R174. I can go along with a lot of suspension of disbelief, but this is absurd. And I simply can't stand the character-by-committee this show has - with every demographic button being pushed and ham handed attempts to appeal to under-25s who aren't watching anyway.

by Anonymousreply 19107/16/2013

As soon as I saw Celia Weston's name in last nights credits I knew she would have a "Guest Emmy Please" scene. I was not disappointed.

I want to hit the lesbians' daughter in the face. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 19207/16/2013

The lesbians' daughter has a fivehead! She also reads as much older than Joe. Thankfully she's not doing the "I'm so embarrassed I'm being raised by dykes" thing that was hinted at in the last episode. That pissed me off.

by Anonymousreply 19307/16/2013

There was little error or something in the first or second episode (I know!)

But when the white gay mother was saying something medical, and that she was a doctor, her partner said something dismissive, like "oh, she's [only] a psychiatrist."

But aren't psychiatrists first medical doctors? She should really be helping at the clinic, no? (Or maybe since she's from Brentwood she's not all about the helping he neighbors...)

by Anonymousreply 19407/16/2013

Things really started getting heated Under The Dome (2.7/8) last night as an epidemic broke out and the residents of Chester’s Mill began to attack the barrier separating them from the rest of the world. While all that was going on onscreen, the night’s top rated and most watched show (10.80 million) stayed even with its July 8 show.

Other than the Stephen King and Steven Spielberg produced Dome, it was all encores on CBS last night. Still, the network was tops on Monday in both adults 18-49 and total viewers with 6.72 million watching

by Anonymousreply 19507/16/2013

Glad the basement story is over.

by Anonymousreply 19607/16/2013

What makes you think it's over. Or is it over at this point in the book?

by Anonymousreply 19707/17/2013

Yeah, i think breaking bad guy will keep her lockrd up to protect and blackmail Jr's hot ass. Damn he's fine.

by Anonymousreply 19807/17/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 19907/17/2013

If it was the reporter or some stranger I think Big Jim might keep her chained up, but this is a local girl he has known all his life, and who as far as he knows is still dating his son.

It would strain credibility past the breaking point if he left her in the bomb shelter.

by Anonymousreply 20007/17/2013

The doctor finally stepped up to the plate.

by Anonymousreply 20107/17/2013

The kid in the shelter is toast. Big Jim can't let her go, it would ruin his reputation to have a crazy son.

by Anonymousreply 20207/18/2013

This show has moved even farther into the crapper. Four episodes in and it's become comical that no one is concerned about shortages. We have a completely absurd immediate outbreak of meningitis, and it's magically cured in a day.

And still, no one is concerned about medical or food shortages. Except the black chick who quite sensibly wants to hoard insulin, but is talked out of it by her "doctor" wife?

The insane Reverend character is just idiotic. He's got no believable motivations. In fact, most of the characters are cardboard.

Another failed adaptation of Stephen King. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 20307/18/2013

I don't necessarily think the girl in shelter plot is done either (much as I'd like it to be). I wouldn't be surprised if the father doesn't choose to keep her locked up in there for the reasons others have stated here (but given how tedious a plot it is, I'd happily be wrong). And why is that kid not more concerned about where his sister is? He's asked about her, what, once?

By the way, maybe I read too much into billing, but I find it interesting that Aisha Hinds (black lesbian) is listed with the regular cast members but Samantha Mathis (her white wife) is listed as a guest star. Maybe the fact Mathis is more well known warrants her receiving a more prominent billing position, but it does make me wonder if something is going to happen with her character down the road.

by Anonymousreply 20407/18/2013

This shit is so painfully boring, and horrible.

It's a lame soap opera, nothing different than any other tired frau-bait television show on American television.

This proves one major thing to me, that the New York Times television reviewers are owned by TV networks after having given it the drooling reviews they did.

I checked out two weeks ago, attempted to watch the recorded episode for last Sunday and realized it's dead on arrival.

by Anonymousreply 20507/18/2013

Whatever. It's summer and summer TV is booooooring. This is different and has some moments that are fun. I'm still in for now.

by Anonymousreply 20607/18/2013

The reverend character is insufferable and the actor who plays him is hideous to look at and painful to listen to.

The actress who plays Julia is a really bad actress. She's a bargain basement Poppy Montgomery.

by Anonymousreply 20707/18/2013

OMFG!

Where is Mike Vogel's character gonna live??!!

by Anonymousreply 20807/20/2013

I think the mayor's crazy son and Mike Vogel's character should start fucking. That would certainly hold my attention.

by Anonymousreply 20907/20/2013

Yes, there seems to be a little tension between those two, even absent the conflict over the girl (which Mike doesn't even know about!)

by Anonymousreply 21007/21/2013

Butterflies are pretty.

by Anonymousreply 21107/22/2013

Happy now, R207?

by Anonymousreply 21207/23/2013

'Under the Dome' scores in the ratings despite less-than-stellar acting

MONDAY, JULY 22, 2013t    LAST UPDATED: MONDAY JULY 22, 2013, 10:13 AM BY  VIRGINIA ROHAN STAFF WRITER THE RECORD PAGES: 1 2 3 > DISPLAY ON ONE PAGE | PRINT | E-MAIL

Dean Norris plays Councilman Big Jim Rennie. 10 tonight,

CBS

Things are starting to get really dire "Under the Dome." The small-town folks who've been trapped, since June 24, under a mysterious bubble in Chester's Mill desperately need not only answers, but food, water, medicines — and a good acting coach.

While unquestionably a ratings success, CBS' 13-part miniseries, which airs its fifth episode at 10 tonight, is the worst-acted television hit to come along in years.

Not that this has been much of a deterrent, mind you. Last Monday, "Under the Dome," based on Stephen King's best-selling same-named novel and produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, was the night's No. 1 broadcast in viewers, adults 25 to 54 and adults 18 to 49.

I'll admit it, "Dome" has ensnared me, too. This ridiculously fun summer miniseries — with a premise similar to that of "The Simpsons Movie" — has pulled me into its claustrophobic force field.

But it's hard to overlook that acting.

In the space of a few days last week, several people complained to me about the lackluster performances in the miniseries. As my adult son put it, some of them are "subpar."

When I asked Chris to elaborate, he did so in an email, writing: "I found the writing and the premise intriguing. However, I found some of the performances to be stiff (like the female police officer) and hammy (the obsessive teenager), and that kind of took me out of it."

by Anonymousreply 21307/23/2013

Several days later, a colleague stopped me at work to say he was watching "Under the Dome," but thinks "it has the worst TV acting since 'The Danny Thomas Show.' "

Which town folk were particularly lacking, I asked?

"I can't name the characters, but the councilman who takes over was pretty bad, as well as the cops … and the kid keeping the girl in the basement shelter."

To the prime offenders list, I'd also add the crazy Bible-spouting reverend/town coroner, whose name, alas, slips me. (It's telling that most of the characters' names have not stuck.)

by Anonymousreply 21407/23/2013

For the record, the major players are: James "Big Jim" Rennie (Dean Norris), a councilman and used-car salesman who's only too happy to try to take over when disaster strikes; his son "Junior" (Alex Koch), who's so obsessed with onetime girlfriend Angie (Britt Robertson) he has chained her to a bed in an underground fallout shelter; Deputy Linda (Natalie Martinez), who becomes the top cop in town after the chief (Jeff Fahey), her friend and mentor, has a fatal encounter with the dome (which exploded his pacemaker's batteries); and the newspaper reporter Julia Shumway (Rachelle Lefevre), whose doctor-husband is missing. (Deputy Linda is remarkably incompetent — a young, pretty, unfunny female version of Barney Fife.)

And then there are the out-of-towners, who had the colossally bad luck to be passing through Chester's Mill when the mysterious dome descended, memorably splitting a cow in half and cutting all of them off from the outside world. They include a mysterious guy named Barbie (Mike Vogel), whom we first see burying a body in the woods, and an interracial lesbian couple and their rebellious teenage daughter.

by Anonymousreply 21507/23/2013

As my "Dome"-watching colleague pointed out, the actors behind these characters may not be the real problem.

"I guess to be fair, [the writers] had to establish their characters very quickly, so they did that by [creating] stereotypes spouting clichés," he said. "So, in that sense, I fault the writing."

I agree that that's part of the problem. The miniseries is propelled by the dramatic story line, with character development seemingly an afterthought. While it's challenging to write for a large ensemble cast, I think back to the two-hour "Lost" pilot, which was so compelling and artfully written that I pretty much knew who everybody was by the closing credits. And the baffling thing here is, "Dome" was developed for the small screen by Brian K. Vaughan, who penned seven episodes of "Lost" and served as a producer on that series as well.

There also seems to be a lack of direction in "Dome." There's no consistency, with the actors displaying an array of acting styles — from realistic to melodramatic to wooden to campy to overwrought. Even Norris, who's great as DEA Agent Hank Schrader on "Breaking Bad," often chews the scenery in "Dome."

by Anonymousreply 21607/23/2013

This, too, is puzzling, since one of its executive producers is Jack Bender, who directed 38 episodes of "Lost" and four episodes of "The Sopranos." In fact, the series' pedigree is first-rate. The other executive producers are King, Vaughan, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and Neal Baer ("Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"), who acts as day-to-day show-runner.

Tonight's "Dome" has the Chester's Mill residents receiving an unexpected visit from their loved ones "on the other side" (of the bubble presumably), as the community "braces for a threat from outside the Dome," according to a CBS episode summary.

Sounds like a good chance for some more hammy acting.

Still, I'll be returning. I'll go along for the ride this summer, and try to overlook how annoying what's-his-name can be.

Email: rohan@northjersey.com

by Anonymousreply 21707/23/2013

This show is best watched on mute so you can ad lib the dialogue between Barbie and Junior, who clearly need to fuck each other.

by Anonymousreply 21807/23/2013

The show looks inexplicably cheap as well considering its a major network show. I love it that the town gets the first chance to see loved ones on the outside and about a dozen people show up. It looked totally fake.

by Anonymousreply 21907/23/2013

CBS’s King event-series, Under the Dome bagged 11.4 million Monday night. Dome enjoyed its second straight week of ratings growth and its best numbers since its second week, Royal Baby competition notwithstanding.)

by Anonymousreply 22007/23/2013

Well, as r220 points out, the naysayers be damned, it's a hit. Whatever its flaws, I've liked all the episodes except 3, which can just be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 22107/23/2013

I wish that girl who has the seizures would die from it. I don't like the teen stuff in this show, kind of irritating.

by Anonymousreply 22207/23/2013

I want to make out with Vogel.

by Anonymousreply 22307/23/2013

Last night was essentially a 60-minute commercial for Microsoft. Product placement has really gotten out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 22407/23/2013

I thought last night's show was actually pretty good. The killing if the Rev., the kids kissing as the bomb went off (which would have been a killer shot if they hadn't spoiled it in the promos). And I'm intrigued by what's going on between Junior and that girl. Does she know something that we don't?

by Anonymousreply 22507/23/2013

That Girl?

Freeze frame on Ann Marie.

by Anonymousreply 22607/23/2013

I haven't watched the series, because I read the book (or actually listened to an audiobook), and didn't really want to return to that world anymore.

What I'm finding really strange is that there is talk about making another season of the series.

by Anonymousreply 22707/23/2013

So who tops, Barbie or Junior? The easier choice is to pick the older Barbie, but I think Junior would throw a mean ass fuck.

by Anonymousreply 22807/23/2013

But he'd cum too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 22907/23/2013

I bet Barbie eats a good ass. Lots of spittle.

by Anonymousreply 23007/23/2013

Mike Vogel has tiny feets. It's becoming a distraction for me.

by Anonymousreply 23107/23/2013

I disagree, R228. No way Junior would top. Barbie would plow that hole six ways from Sunday but only AFTER getting sucked into oblivion by Junior with those big, juicy CSLs.

by Anonymousreply 23207/23/2013

Junior sounds like a girl and almost looks like one too.

by Anonymousreply 23307/23/2013

Is the entire world outside gone now? The shots outside the dome looked pretty desolate after the bomb went off, like everything had been blown to smithereens. And how ironic that all those people outside came to say goodbye to their "doomed" loved ones on the inside when in fact they were the ones who ended up dead.

So are the citizens of the dome now all that's left on earth? Is that what happens in the book?

by Anonymousreply 23407/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 23507/23/2013

R234, you're seriously a complete moron.

by Anonymousreply 23607/23/2013

R234 after the bomb went off and they revealed the scorched earth outside the dome in the far distance you could see trees, so I think only a circle around the dome is destroyed. I seem to remember Barbie saying something about them using the most powerful NON-nuclear bomb so it wouldn't destroy the whole world. Good question though, it would make an interesting cliff hanger! I'm sure many people wondered the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 23707/23/2013

Thanks, R237. My interest in the show had actually started to wan a bit, but after last night I think I'm back in it again. (Hope CBS and Time Warner can work out their differences by next week's episode.)

And thanks to you, too, R236. That means a lot coming from you.

by Anonymousreply 23807/23/2013

I'm watching. I tuned in for Jeff Fahey (LOST) but he was killed off in the first ep. The problem is that people are behaving unrealistically. How many days has it been? and next week's episode is the first one to address a food shortage. The mini-epidemic was pointless and ludicrous. But I'm still watching because I'm curious to see how it differs from the book.

by Anonymousreply 23907/23/2013

I think it's an episode a day.

by Anonymousreply 24007/23/2013

Is Big Jim good or bad? He let the girl go but then he kills the reverend. I can't decide.

by Anonymousreply 24107/24/2013

He's...complex!

by Anonymousreply 24207/24/2013

To be fair, I think most people would have killed the reverend. I'm surprised Big Jim didn't do it sooner.

Probably the best episode so far - I was on the fence about continuing with the show after last week's less than 24 hour meningitis outbreak.

My opinion of Junior has changed - he's tolerable when dressed like a cop.

by Anonymousreply 24307/25/2013

[quote]Is Big Jim good or bad? He let the girl go but then he kills the reverend. I can't decide.

He let her go because he thought they were all going to die.

by Anonymousreply 24407/25/2013

I rarely watch network tv anymore, but I've been hanging in there with Under the Dome because there's not really anything else to watch this summer and it's ok, but not outstanding. Cable and Netflix have spoiled me with their more adult stories and better writing. Network tv just can't "go there" so to speak, because they have so many old people and family values types tuning in. When I watch Under the Dome, I keep thinking how much better it would be if it were a cable or Netflix series, since they wouldn't have any restrictions on their storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 24507/25/2013

R231, where have we seen Mike Vogel's bare feets in this show? I remember being very disappointed in them when he was on Pan Am. They were pasty-white and not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 24607/25/2013

I think a great cliffhanger would be the rest of the world is destroyed via nuclear attacks.

by Anonymousreply 24707/26/2013

Officially renewed for next summer.

by Anonymousreply 24807/29/2013

Oh good lord, R248. That means we're not going to get any closure this season. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 24907/29/2013

That's an awesome idea, r247 ... Certainly better than anything King came up with. It actually leads to intriguing places.

by Anonymousreply 25007/29/2013

This story line had better end with episode 13, or I bet there will be well-deserved intense viewer backlash.

by Anonymousreply 25107/29/2013

What R251 said.

I'm only watching this because it promised a relatively quick payoff/resolution. I'm REALLY not interested in following these characters beyond this summer.

by Anonymousreply 25207/29/2013

Crap. I was glad it was limited. I could be dead next summer when it cums back.

by Anonymousreply 25307/29/2013

Fuck the water supply. When do they go cannibal?

I'm disappointed this isn't a limited series, too. When will the networks ever learn less is more?

by Anonymousreply 25407/29/2013

How's the episode tonight?

by Anonymousreply 25507/29/2013

The water-tower thing was RIDICULOUS.

Dear god this show gets worse with each episode.

by Anonymousreply 25607/29/2013

The fact they renewed this for another season pretty much sinks my interest in staying with it any longer. Why bother? With today's announcement we already know we're not going to get any closure, that it's just going to go around and around and around and never go anyplace. Good going, CBS.

Strange as it sounds, I almost wish this project had ended up at ABC instead, which likely would've done it as a three-night miniseries and gotten it the hell over with (plus I bet it would've been a whole lot scarier).

by Anonymousreply 25707/29/2013

Still seven more episodes to go and then 13 next summer. How the hell are they going to drag this out for another 20 episodes?

by Anonymousreply 25807/29/2013

Les Moonves made a reference to the second season maybe taking place on another planet but he was joking. I think.

by Anonymousreply 25907/30/2013

I haven't completely warmed up to. Although I do wonder why I've been denied Mike Vogel until now - very nice. I watched a few Pan Ams but I do not remember him (or anything else about the show, for that matter.)

"The Following" had an intriguing premise and started out promising but soon devolved to complete shit. I stuck it through to the end but there is no way in hell I'm tuning in for another season.

It will be the same with this. I'll watch until the end of this series but will not be interested enough for another. I feel screwed as a viewer.

I agree that they should learn to parse it out and end it properly for these types of shows. The audience would respect them more and turn in for another (different) series following the same format.

Network TV is desperate for viewers. That is why if they get anything even remotely resembling a hit they will suck every possible bit of life out of it. Even at the expense of future ratings.

Sigh - the TV and Film industry. There are some extremely limited minds running things in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26007/30/2013

I thought the book took place over two weeks.

The tv shows seems to be one episode = one day.

Thus 13 episodes should cover the novel.

Didn't they write the series to conclude in that timeframe? If the ratings were so-so or tanking would that have meant that the unrenewed series would not have had a conclusion?

Something smells fishy.

by Anonymousreply 26107/30/2013

How long is a dose of insulin effective for a diabetic?

Why didn't they protect he cities food before this?

by Anonymousreply 26207/30/2013

[quote]Les Moonves made a reference to the second season maybe taking place on another planet but he was joking. I think.

Maybe he can have next season's Big Brother in there.

[quote]Why didn't they protect he cities food before this?

It's actually only been a few days. They hadn't given up hope yet.

by Anonymousreply 26307/30/2013

Quote taken directly from the OP's link:

[quote]Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 26407/30/2013

Network TV really sucks now. Once you've seen what is possible on cable, there is no going back and Under The Dome has cemented that for me. As a fan of the book, I really wanted this to be good. There is nothing remotely frightening about this show. It is way too sanitized and feels homogenous despite the multi-everything cast.

I really want to punch the precocious daughter of the lesbians in the face.

by Anonymousreply 26507/30/2013

I really enjoyed the Premiere.

But each show is worse than the last.

And there was nothing that didn't completely suck about last night's show.

Ugh. I'm almost out. It's gone from interesting to "I can't look away because it's like watching a car wreck".

by Anonymousreply 26607/30/2013

It's as if they have never heard of American Horror Story. "A series with a different story every season? Nah, that would never work"

They could have called it Steven King Theater and given UTD a proper story arc and ending. It's not as if King doesn't have other stories that could be made into a 13 episode series next summer.

By the time this comes back in 2014 half the audience will probably think, "been there, done that"

by Anonymousreply 26707/30/2013

There was rain, there were kisses, insulin theft and there was a growing panic in Chester’s Mill last night on Under The Dome (2.7/8).

The fifth week of Steven Spielberg and Stephen King-produced show, which CBS unsurprisingly renewed for a second season on Monday, saw a dip of 4% from its July 22 show last night.

That’s a season low tie for Dome but the series was still the highest-rated show of the night and the most watched with 11.08 million viewers.

by Anonymousreply 26807/30/2013

I can't believe they killed the diner owner, for no real reason.

by Anonymousreply 26907/30/2013

I'm losing interest in this show, I was trying to concentrate on the plot but ended up surfing the net. I don't think I can continue to watch.

by Anonymousreply 27007/30/2013

No reason for this show to go beyond one season.

by Anonymousreply 27107/30/2013

I don't see a problem.

by Anonymousreply 27207/30/2013

Vogel was particularly hot last night being all law enforcing and fightin and shit. Although that shirt should have come off during the rain storm. I did see some swinging in the pants whilst he was running last night.

by Anonymousreply 27307/30/2013

[quote]each show is worse than the last

This. I agree completely.

by Anonymousreply 27407/30/2013

I was thinking the same thing R273, especially when he chased one of the looters down the street, caught up with him and began struggling with him while they were thisclose for a little longer than you'd expect.

by Anonymousreply 27507/30/2013

That really sucked, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 27607/30/2013

This isn't even laughably bad. I cannot fathom that it's getting winning ratings, much less a pickup for another season.

People with insulin-dependent diabetes can take steps to regulate their sugar without insulin. It's not a long-term solution and organ damage or coma may be inevitable, but not the first day.

by Anonymousreply 27707/30/2013

I want chaos! CHAOS IN THE STREETS! It's moving too slowly for me. I need more murders and looting and hoarding and guns. But maybe that's just me. The farmer with the well looks promising, though.

by Anonymousreply 27807/31/2013

[quote]This isn't even laughably bad. I cannot fathom that it's getting winning ratings, much less a pickup for another season.

I agree with you. Mike Vogel is the worst series lead I've seen in a long time and has zero chemistry with anyone. Where the fuck did they even find him? He can't act for shit, and there would be no plot if everyone in town weren't completely stupid.

by Anonymousreply 27907/31/2013

Mike Vogel is about the only reason I'm still watching this crapfest. He's dreamy.

I'd love to see him totally hate-fuck that sicko "Junior" guy. Just chain him up, put a ball-gag in that mouth, and pound him silly.

by Anonymousreply 28007/31/2013

Yeah, the only reason besides my love of Stephen King that I'm still watching is Rachelle LeFever's glorious hair and pout, and the lesbian family drama.

by Anonymousreply 28107/31/2013

The hoodoo thread reminded me of the Billy Mumy episode of Twilight Zone, "It's a Good Life." It scared the shit out of us kids (but didn't stop us from testing out whether or not we could do what Anthony did. None of us could, and it was a real good thing).

Anyway, I think Stephen King saw this episode when he was a kid and it inspired about 50% of what is in his books. A dangerous child, mind reading, telekinesis, an isolated alternate universe and, of course, the cornfield.

by Anonymousreply 28207/31/2013

[quote]I can't believe they killed the diner owner, for no real reason.

She believed and was ready to defend Angie (captive girl.) I actually liked the way they ended it -- you're not sure if Big Jim is going to keep his promise to her or tell Junior "I got her, she's all yours"

The very opening scene of this series, when Angie is riding Junior's cock -- he had such a great look of awe and wonder on his face. It was sexy as hell. I want to see that look again when [italic]he's[/italic] riding Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 28307/31/2013

Now that you mention it, R283--Isn't it misleading to open a series with a sex scene and then never have another?

by Anonymousreply 28408/01/2013

The crowd at that riot was straight out of Central Casting.

by Anonymousreply 28508/01/2013

The riot was absurd. If such a riot occurred, the looters would not have taken only a few items and left the rest of the food on the shelves. Besides, unless everyone in that town is brain dead, I'd think the market would have been cleaned out already

The principle characters can stand around and chat in the midst of a riot because . . .?

by Anonymousreply 28608/01/2013

[quote]unless everyone in that town is brain dead[/quote] That is unfortunately a big part of the plot of this show. Everyone is profoundly stupid. The riot made it inch closer to so-bad-it's-good territory for me, though, so I somehow liked it.

by Anonymousreply 28708/01/2013

[quote]...unless everyone in that town is brain dead.

That is unfortunately a big part of the plot of this show. Everyone is profoundly stupid. The riot made it inch closer to so-bad-it's-good territory for me, though, so I somehow liked it.

And that riot was seriously underpopulated. And what is the storekeeper going to do with batteries after all his stock is gone? They´re gonna steal those, too!

by Anonymousreply 28808/01/2013

[quote]The very opening scene of this series, when Angie is riding Junior's cock -- he had such a great look of awe and wonder on his face. It was sexy as hell.

Between crazy-ass Junior and crazy-ass Norman on Bates Motel, I'd say teen sex is looking seriously um, fraught.

by Anonymousreply 28908/02/2013

Well, if Time Warner and CBS don't resolve things before Monday, I guess I'm out. I'm not going to bend over backwards to try and catch missed episodes of this shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 29008/02/2013

r290 you can watch it online.

by Anonymousreply 29108/02/2013

R290 if you have Amazon Prime, which is an excellent program, you can watch it for free online at Amazon.

I don't mind not having sex scenes. I'm not really comfortable with sex/nudity on TV. The soap I watch is already going way overboard with that stuff lately. I like Under The Dome for the mystery/Sci-Fi elements.

by Anonymousreply 29208/02/2013

I was going back and forth about continuing with this show, but CBS and Time Warner made my decision for me. Ah, well.

by Anonymousreply 29308/03/2013

I'm officially bored!

Not even Mike Vogel can save it for me now.

It's coming back next summer.

Don't think that I will.

by Anonymousreply 29408/03/2013

In the past, Time Warner has been known to block HULU and other sites (like cbs.com), so you aren't guaranteed to be able to watch the show on-line.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 29508/03/2013

[bold]In vengeful move, CBS blocks web episodes for Time Warner Cable internet subscribers[/bold]

CBS stations have disappeared for many Time Warner Cable subscribers today, after the companies' negotiations over retransmission fees failed to reach an amicable conclusion. But cable TV users aren't the only ones without access to episodes of their favorite shows: CBS is also blocking Time Warner Cable internet subscribers from watching episodes on its website CBS.com. We can confirm that when trying to access a full episode of any CBS show, like Elementary or Two and a Half Men, those with Time Warner Cable internet will see an attack ad instead of their normal programming.

While that might sound like a valid tactic to use in a no-holds-barred game of chicken like the one these companies are playing right now, it also flies in the face of net neutrality principles. Not net neutrality laws or rules, mind you, as the FCC Open Internet rules restrict broadband providers, not content companies like CBS.

(more at the link):

by Anonymousreply 29608/03/2013

That Colin Ford kid who plays Joe, I'd like to fuck him...

...in two years when he turns 18.

by Anonymousreply 29708/04/2013

Lets eat vogels ass.

by Anonymousreply 29808/04/2013

Me first, r298!

by Anonymousreply 29908/04/2013

"Let's Eat Mike Vogel's Ass," coming this fall to CBS!

by Anonymousreply 30008/04/2013

Colin Ford was very good in "We Bought a Zoo" and "Supernatural." I think he's got a real future.

by Anonymousreply 30108/05/2013

Another episode. Moving right along.

by Anonymousreply 30208/05/2013

Stopped watching four episodes ago ..not sure i will pick it back up on Amazon Prime

by Anonymousreply 30308/05/2013

It was better than last week's episode. But that isn't saying much.

by Anonymousreply 30408/06/2013

Know what's weird? I can't watch CBS or ShowTime, but my DVR recorded this episode just fine. Huh?

by Anonymousreply 30508/06/2013

I'm enjoying it. The kids found the center of the dome. I'm sure there's another teeny tiny town inside the dark egg.

I wonder if the blonde woman will come back to life. Then it could be a cross between Pet Semetary.

The area outside the dome seems to have recovered itself from the missile blast.

by Anonymousreply 30608/06/2013

The last two episodes have been much better than any other. Alice's scenes with Norrie were great. Joe and Norrie's scenes are the best in the show.

I was thinking the same about Pet Semetary, R306. A big deal was made of burying Rose, and the dome seemed to respond to Norrie pleading. I expect more hallucinations of the dead will turn up in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 30708/06/2013

I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the actress playing Norrie. Total stereotype of a character, but she manages to play her with some nice sensitivity and heart. Norrie and Joe are by far the best parts of the show. I feel like Rachelle is talented, but she's visibly phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 30808/06/2013

Doesn't look like it's been reported in this thread yet, that it's already been renewed for a 2nd season. I'm enjoying although it could be better, they have the opportunity to polish it before the next season. Kill off a few weak actors and introduce new characters from the background crowd. The directing and writing are functional but not particularly artful. I think it'll need to step up its game to stay on for years.

by Anonymousreply 30908/06/2013

While 3.2 million Time Warner Cable subscribers in NY, LA and Dallas were still not able to see CBS last night due to the ongoing dispute on retransmission fees, there was a lot happening on Under The Dome (2.5/7) on Monday.

The Steven Spielberg and Stephen King-produced show saw a birth, a death, a burgeoning love affair and a realization or two.

Matched up against The Bachelorette finale and After The Rose, the show was down 11% from its July 29 show to hit its lowest result among adults 18-49 yet.

Still, even with the TWC blackout and the dating show finale competition, UTD was still the most watched show of the night with 10.20 million viewers tuning in.

by Anonymousreply 31008/06/2013

I don't know why I keep watching this. Script is terrible and the acting stilted. And yet ... I keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 31108/06/2013

As said above, this episode was better than the last episode, but that's not saying much.

The introduction of the mini-dome at the center point was interesting... was that in the book?

by Anonymousreply 31208/06/2013

Mike Vogel was a pretty young thing back in his twink days.

by Anonymousreply 31308/06/2013

He's still pretty.

by Anonymousreply 31408/06/2013

I first fell for Vogel in CLOVERFIELD.

by Anonymousreply 31508/06/2013

[quote]The introduction of the mini-dome at the center point was interesting... was that in the book?

No. The entire dome story line is different than in the book. The ending and the source of the dome won't be the same as in the book, either, according to Stephen King. The book's events lasted 5 entire days and the ending/source of the dome were the #1 complaint people had of the book - the general consensus among my friends was that the book was well-paced and interesting, but with a cheap, trite, brainless ending - so that may actually be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 31608/06/2013

I'm glad the tv show's reason behind the dome won't be the same as the book. The conclusion of the book was soooo fucking lame.

by Anonymousreply 31708/06/2013

I agree, R317. It was so ridiculously stupid, it was like King ran out of steam and decided to tell his readers to fuck off instead of writing the ending and his publishers decided to publish it anyway. It's a shame because I honestly couldn't put it down right up until the last 40 pages or so. The fact that they changed the conclusion of the book and the reason behind the dome is what lead me to give the TV show a shot.

I think the story benefits from being told over a longer period of time, too. It really stretched credibility that the extreme events of the book only happened in 4.5 days.

by Anonymousreply 31808/06/2013

Under the dome of vogels ball sack

by Anonymousreply 31908/06/2013

Well spoil it dammit! Tell us how the book ends but put SPOILER in big letters so the little children here won't scream.

by Anonymousreply 32008/06/2013

****BOOK SPOILER****

The dome is a toy of alien (extraterrestrial) children on some faraway planet or spaceship. The alien kids look at the town as a sort of ant farm for their amusement. The reporter woman (Deb Messing lookalike from the tv show) telepathically contacts the alien kids and convinces them that humans are intelligent creatures and the dome has killed thousands of people in the town due to various reasons. The alien kids remove the dome and the town is freed. The end.

Like I said, it was a fucking lame ending to an otherwise good story and felt like a total cop-out on King's part. Like he couldn't really figure out a way to end it so he just wrote some alien bullshit in 15 minutes and called it a day.

Fortunately, the series won't have the book's ending so we can be thankful for that.

by Anonymousreply 32108/06/2013

The secret is that it was set in the present day!

by Anonymousreply 32208/06/2013

r321, how original of King!

by Anonymousreply 32308/06/2013

I think King wrote most of the book 20 years ago and only finished it recently.

by Anonymousreply 32408/06/2013

R317, regarding the book ending...what would have been the most appropriate and logical ending? I think the book ending is acceptable enough...

by Anonymousreply 32508/06/2013

Well, people are getting killed now.

by Anonymousreply 32608/06/2013

SPOILER - It's the snow globe at the end of "St. Elsewhere"!!!!

by Anonymousreply 32708/07/2013

No comments about the zebradyke kissing scene? I'm sure the usual suspects will be up in arms.

by Anonymousreply 32808/07/2013

Why does Samantha Mathis have to wear those hideous black frames ?

by Anonymousreply 32908/07/2013

Because that's Hollywood for "lesbian," r329.

by Anonymousreply 33008/07/2013

Shouldn't that be in the past tense, r329?

by Anonymousreply 33108/07/2013

Thank you, R321. You just saved me a whole lot of wasted time. If that's the destination, I'd just as soon skip the journey.

by Anonymousreply 33208/07/2013

Jesus r321, that sounds like something out of a Twilight Zone episode.

by Anonymousreply 33308/08/2013

Now that you mention it, I think the original Twilight Zone from the 60s did an episode very similar to the ending of Under the Dome. I kind of half-remember something along those lines.

by Anonymousreply 33408/08/2013

r333/334, meet r323. Only 10 responses earlier!

by Anonymousreply 33508/08/2013

I was responding to the above posters.

by Anonymousreply 33608/08/2013

Ugh, I hate those teenagers, especially the girl with the lesbian parents. I want to punch her, she's so irritating.

by Anonymousreply 33708/08/2013

These actors are the worst. Where on earth did they get them from? Just horrible. I swear I can see that lesbian daughter's lips move when someone else is speaking their lines. There are better performers in my Thursday night drama class. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 33808/08/2013

Thank you R338.

by Anonymousreply 33908/08/2013

Yeah. I think the last episode was the first one that wasn't worse than the previous one... and that's really only because the previous one was so bad.

Whatever. The show is a shit-fest. I really wanted to like it. I thought the premier was promising. But dear god.

I continue to tune in more out of morbid fascination (and to fantasize over Barbie hate-fucking Junior, and then coming to make sweet love to me). It's like watching a car wreck.

I can't imagine I'd be back for season 2 unless the finale is mind-blowingly good. And I can't conceive of any plot point or twist that would achieve that, given all that has come before.

by Anonymousreply 34008/08/2013

R334, I think you mean this episode:

by Anonymousreply 34108/08/2013

That pregnant lady on the last episode was HORRIBLE. She must be somebody's girlfriend. Terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 34208/08/2013

Looking forward to the new episode. The premise is strong enough to overcome the show's shortcomings, it's still fun and the public agrees, it's been a big ratings success. Season 2 definitely sounds iffy, but people here already hate the first season which in reality is at least ok or it wouldn't be doing so well. Plus Barbie and Junior are both gorgeous and have entered my sexual fantasies often.

by Anonymousreply 34308/12/2013

The miniseries has an actual beginning and an ending.

Not like most series where they make it up as they go along.

by Anonymousreply 34408/12/2013

Well it did until they renewed it for another season. Now it looks like it won't.

God I hated Lost. I hope this isn't another one of those.

by Anonymousreply 34508/12/2013

"Junior" really does need to do gay porn.

by Anonymousreply 34608/12/2013

That sheriff has to be the dumbest bitch to ever walk the planet.

Here, Junior, take a gun! Junior, why would you side with the farmer? I'm totally shocked! Let me just put you in a cell with an open door! I totally believe your Trojan Horse story! You're so trustworthy!

by Anonymousreply 34708/12/2013

That guy who was trying to keep the well all to himself needs to fucking die. More than anyone else on the show. Holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 34808/12/2013

He did. Junior shot him before the last commercial break.

by Anonymousreply 34908/12/2013

The dome is coming from inside the dome!!!

by Anonymousreply 35008/12/2013

Junior is played by a young man named Alexander Koch, and this is his first major role. His acting is just fine as far as I'm concerned, the hunk definitely has a future.

by Anonymousreply 35108/13/2013

The mom from True Blood in on this show!

by Anonymousreply 35208/13/2013

I love you, r350.

by Anonymousreply 35308/13/2013

Alexander Koch has two credits to his name. I wonder how he got a role on a network series with barely any experience?

by Anonymousreply 35408/13/2013

The bar is low but he's one of the best actors on the show

by Anonymousreply 35508/13/2013

The kid who plays Joe is totally not my type, but I think he's adorable. And he has incredibly expressive eyes.

by Anonymousreply 35608/13/2013

One thing I do like about this show is that they have some cranky, crazy old Teabagger types who refuse to share their stuff with the townspeople. "I got mine, fuck you!" I think that's pretty realistic of them. If this kind of thing really did happen in a small town, I could totally see the old Teabaggers being the biggest, most selfish assholes.

by Anonymousreply 35708/13/2013

I have to nitpick how everyone in the town is so clean and neat. The redhead's hair always looks fabulous and the townspeople are walking around in pressed clothing. I find the female cop is annoying; her voice and her dedication to keeping order.

I hate the Father and Junior relationship - I hope they do a murder/suicide thing soon.

R365, Joe is played by the adorable Colin Ford, who has many Supernatural fans cause he did a great job playing young Sam Winchester in earlier seasons. He was wee little thing about 4-5 years ago, then he sprouted up recently.

by Anonymousreply 35808/13/2013

High-concept serialized dramas tend to shed viewers as evident by the steady declined of NBC’s Revolution last year. CBS‘ summer breakout Under The Dome hit a new adults 18-49 low in the fast nationals last night, 2.3/7. Following an initial rise, the series based on Stephen King’s novel has now slipped for three straight weeks (2.8>2.7>2.5>2.3).

There are mitigating factors. First, for the past two Mondays, some 3.2 million potential viewers have had no access to CBS because of the Time Warner Cable carriage dispute. There are indications that piracy downloads of Under The Dome have spiked in the blacked-out areas.

Additionally, given that the show is available on Amazon four days after air, viewers who fall behind on the serialized drama may be opting to catch up on the streaming service (or on DVR).

Even with the decline, Under The Dome remained Monday’s top program in 18-49 and total viewers (10.14 million).

by Anonymousreply 35908/14/2013

I agree that the kid who plays Joe is good. Most teen actors suck, but he's believable in his role.

by Anonymousreply 36008/14/2013

CBS is doing again in the fall with 'Hostages" with Dylan McDermott & Toni Collette where a family is held for probably a few days but stretched out for an entire season. How do you get a second season out of that?

by Anonymousreply 36108/14/2013

Toni Collette is doing CBS now? Oh no!

by Anonymousreply 36208/14/2013

[bold][italic]Under the Dome[/italic] has become [italic]Lost[/italic], and guess what? I love it.[/bold]

I think it was probably last week when Under the Dome turned into Lost — right around when Nerd Boy Joe and Goth Girl Norrie found the Cadbury Creme Egg of Doom in its own mini dome. It was also right around that point that I realized the show was starting to become my new crack.

by Anonymousreply 36308/14/2013

I love the "Cadbury Crème Egg Of Doom" ...

by Anonymousreply 36408/14/2013

Alexander Koch isn't horrible; I think he's just the victim of the show's really, really bad writing. At the very least, he acts circles around Mike Vogel and Britt Robertson and carries every scene he's in with both of them. Then again, that's not saying much because those two are black holes of suck.

by Anonymousreply 36508/14/2013

R361, Hostages is 15 episodes total. Another show with the hot guy who played Sawyer in Lost takes the time slot in 2014. Leslie Moonves may have said otherwise but Hostages is intended as a limited series.

by Anonymousreply 36608/15/2013

I thought that the latest episode of "Under Mike Vogel" was kinda good.

Really like the actress who plays Angie.

by Anonymousreply 36708/16/2013

I'm STILL waiting to see Barbie hate-fuck Junior.

by Anonymousreply 36808/16/2013

[quote]Junior has CSLs for days

OMG, yes. You probably wouldn't be able to stand on two feet for a week after he got done with you.

by Anonymousreply 36908/17/2013

Who gave Barbie at nice haircut? That's a scene I would like to have seen.

by Anonymousreply 37008/17/2013

[quote]Hostages is 15 episodes total.

Under The Dome was supposed to be 13 episodes total. It ain't now.

by Anonymousreply 37108/17/2013

[quote] Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.

From CBS Entertainment, via the OP, back on 2/12/13.

by Anonymousreply 37208/17/2013

I always wondered why they guy who played Sawyer didn't do more after the series ended. Hopefully the new show he is on is decent.

Somebody at the network has the hots for Mike Vogel, first he was bad in Pan Am and then this. Though he is nice to look at.

by Anonymousreply 37308/18/2013

I think Pan Am was a different network.

by Anonymousreply 37408/18/2013

R359. High concept dramas start out promising and then fall back on boring cliches. Revolution ends up being a family drama, Jericho ends up being a family drama...blah.

by Anonymousreply 37508/18/2013

God this is getting tedious.

by Anonymousreply 37608/19/2013

I dunno, I though it was the best show of the last few...

by Anonymousreply 37708/20/2013

Big Jim's gun grab concept was kind of thrown in out of nowhere. As power mad as he is, it seems like the last thing he would do.

by Anonymousreply 37808/20/2013

I can't stand any of the characters except Barbi, yet I continue to watch it every week.

by Anonymousreply 37908/20/2013

This series goes up an down in quality, but last night's episode was great. And Mike Vogel is worth watching the show for. Junior isn't too bad either.

by Anonymousreply 38008/20/2013

Not digging the new chick who shows up with everyone's secrets. Next week she starts a fight club and forces people to fight. Didn't we just see something like that on "The Walking Dead" this season. It's getting borrrrrring.

by Anonymousreply 38108/20/2013

I dunno, that put some fun back in the show somehow.

So how many more episodes of this sucktastic season do we have to suffer through now?

I lost count.

by Anonymousreply 38208/20/2013

Monday was the ninth episode, four more to go, season finale 9/16/13.

by Anonymousreply 38308/20/2013

In an August in which the big ratings story is Time Warner Cable’s shut-out of CBS in more than 3 million homes, CBS was understandably proud as punch this morning that Under The Dome remained Monday’s only program to clock viewers in the double digits – 10.3 million viewers.

Dome topped the night’s nearest competitor, NBC’s American Ninja Warrior, by more than 5 million viewers. Dome logged a 2.4 rating in the demo which, CBS noted, is unchanged from last week — no surprise, given that CBS was locked out of TWC homes last week as well.

Armed with Dome, CBS finished Monday in first place in the demo (1.4 rating) and with viewers of all ages (6.2 million). Dome smothered its ABC and NBC competition combined, demographically and in total viewers.

by Anonymousreply 38408/20/2013

And for this Les(Mr Julie Chen)Moonves wants a 600% raise in transmission fees!

by Anonymousreply 38508/20/2013

How many potential viewers are being lost? I wonder how many of the people who are unable to get CBS via cable have either switched to satellite or are watching it over the air?

It will be interesting to see if there's any effect when the fall schedule starts to roll out, assuming the dispute has not been resolved by then.

by Anonymousreply 38608/20/2013

Are there only three working actresses in Hollywood?

I am not really happy that the new character was also featured in "The Following." I wonder who cast her first?

She's serviceable but hardly some great gift to the art of acting.

by Anonymousreply 38708/20/2013

Wasn't she Timothy Olyphant's ex-wife on "Justified"?

by Anonymousreply 38808/21/2013

Yes, R388. I can't wait for Justified to come back. This show is soooooooooo bad.

The actors suck. I think Dean Norris is a very good actor but these "actors" must be dragging him down or something.

[quote]Alexander Koch has two credits to his name. I wonder how he got a role on a network series with barely any experience?

Could it be he's related to the Koch Brothers??

by Anonymousreply 38908/21/2013

I recognized the new girl Max (Natalie Zea) as Karen Darling on Dirty Sexy Money on ABC, which I enjoyed in its brief run.

She was also on four episodes of Hung, which I don't watch.

by Anonymousreply 39008/21/2013

I hope they keep introducing new guest stars in the same way. "Er, I've been in a house the whole time. Watching."

by Anonymousreply 39108/21/2013

They must have really done this on the cheap, based on how they have certain characters disappear for episodes at a time. Are we ever going to see the black lesbian mom again, or will she continue to remain "in her room, grieving" for the rest of the series? I guess they don't want to pay the actors so they make up stuff to explain their absence.

by Anonymousreply 39208/21/2013

I stopped watching, but is the reporter still getting a professional make up, hair and blow out job every day?

by Anonymousreply 39308/21/2013

[quote]I guess they don't want to pay the actors so they make up stuff to explain their absence.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 39408/21/2013

I had to look up who Jeff Fahey was (one of those faces you know, but can't place a name to).

And I'm still not sure I get R394's reference.

Here he is just so others don't have to go scrambling:

by Anonymousreply 39508/21/2013

Fahey is a prominent actor and the Sheriff appeared to be one of the central roles in the pilot but they killed him off in episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 39608/21/2013

And he was the reason I started watching... loved him on LOST.

But like all these shows, the characters never react, never ask the questions, that a normal person would.*

Fight Club, really? I'm already bored.

*Jericho was the exception I think. That seemed very realistic.

by Anonymousreply 39708/21/2013

During their in-between-seasons down-time, I sure hope Barbie and Junior do some porn scenes together for Randy Blue or something.

by Anonymousreply 39808/22/2013

Carolyn's absence is hilarious. "How is she?" "She's still grieving" - not ONE scene between her and Norrie after Alice died.

by Anonymousreply 39908/22/2013

The new bossy woman, why don't thse two guys just shoot her?

by Anonymousreply 40008/22/2013

Barbie was showing a great basket in the woods scene this week.

by Anonymousreply 40108/23/2013

This show is veering dangerously close to "The Following" level of silliness. How can the supposed "Sheriff" be so dumb as to 1) let a dangerously disturbed Junior carry a gun; 2) not see through Jim Rennie's blatantly obvious "gun buy back" plan. Oh, the guy who won't turn in his guns is crazy so let's go get him! Okay, sure.

WTF?

The actors are hot but the writing is getting stupid fast.

by Anonymousreply 40208/23/2013

This episode (Mare Winningham!) really pushed this show to Craptown. It's just really pathetically stupid and ridiculous. Fight Club?

Stephen King endorsed this dreck? He must be back on the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 40308/26/2013

Why is it all about the teenagers now? My 9 yr old daughter loves it.

by Anonymousreply 40408/26/2013

I think Angie should go back to being Junior's girlfriend. He wasn't trying to keep her as a sex slave, he was trying to protect her from the Dome. So it's unclear how crazy he is, maybe it's just a little. And he's a physically perfect specimen, who loves her. I'll I know is I'd give it a try again. It'd also keep him from being suspicious of the others in the 4 hands club, placate him, get him on their side.

by Anonymousreply 40508/26/2013

The fight club idea is so stupid given that the dome has only been around for 9 days. Wouldn't they read, play cards, maybe have some concerts or something, before resorting to something so rednecky? They could have at least had Barbie and Junior go shirtless and fight.

Jim's Leave Her to Heaven moment was also silly.

by Anonymousreply 40608/27/2013

Yeah I groaned at the fight club too, though Walking Dead also went that route last season. I like the idea of a decadence club, but it should be a disco with open drug use, like in A Handmaiden's Tale. But Chester's Mill is a rednecky town, so that's out.

by Anonymousreply 40708/27/2013

The only interesting thing in the entire episode, imho, was the last minute or so.

by Anonymousreply 40808/27/2013

Watched first time this series with this latest episode. I've read the book and didn't want to watch because of how gloomy the book was, so I was actually delighted how light the show is compared to that. Yeah, it's not rocket science, it's a brain dead summer tv show, and sometimes that's just fine, since production values seem to be ok enough.

Barbie and Junior are definately HOT. Did Vogel get his ass/thigh muscles lately since I don't remember them from Pan Am?

by Anonymousreply 40908/27/2013

CBS’ Under The Dome dominated Monday in overall audience (10.81 million) and in both the 18-49 (2.5 rating) and 25-54 (3.4 rating) demos.

Though Time Warner Cable continues not to carry CBS stations in three of the country’s Top 5 markets, affecting about 3.2 million customers, the Stephen King adaptation scored more than 5 million more viewers than the night’s closest competitor, NBC’s American Ninja Warrior (5.78 million viewers).

by Anonymousreply 41008/27/2013

Barbie looked real hot last night, especially with that loving close-up he got.

by Anonymousreply 41108/27/2013

FUCK YOU CBS! Les Moonves made $70 million last year, nobody deserves that! He ain't finding a cure for cancer! FUCK YOU greedy cunts!

Cunt Broadcasting Service!

by Anonymousreply 41208/27/2013

[quote]This episode (Mare Winningham!) really pushed this show to Craptown. It's just really pathetically stupid and ridiculous. Fight Club?

What's ridiculous is what the fabulous Mare Winningham is reduced to doing to pay the rent.

by Anonymousreply 41308/27/2013

Where was Big JIm taking her and why did he let her drown?

And did she actually drown? When you don't see the corpse, expect to see the character again.

by Anonymousreply 41408/27/2013

The writing continues to decline. They're taking what is a shaky premise to begin with and stretching it to the extreme after too short a time period. If it's truly 9 days as soneone said, it makes no sense that things would devolve this quickly. I can sort of accept the barter system springing up but a Fight Club? Why? What about the citizenry of Chester's Mill would make them want to bet on normal citizens getting beat up? The whole thing seems forced and overblown.

The only reason to watch this train wreck is for the hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 41508/27/2013

Only three more episodes to NOT find out what the dome is!

by Anonymousreply 41608/27/2013

The guy on tvline.com has a pretty funny recap of every episode. Here's the link to this past Monday.

by Anonymousreply 41708/27/2013

Junior has some mighty fine DSL's.

by Anonymousreply 41808/27/2013

Have you noticed how LITTLE time is devoted to the Dome storyline per episode? I mean, basically this week the teens contact Junior and get him to put his hand on the dome and we see the pink stars (leading one of actors to say "Look! Pink stars!" just in case we viewers are too stupid to notice it). Other than that it concentrates on all the other story lines such as stupid Fight Club or that ridiculous journey to Maxine's house.

by Anonymousreply 41908/28/2013

God, seeing Mare Winningham made me feel old. I can remember when she was a young ingenue (which doesn't seem like THAT long ago) and now she looks like a grandmother. Time flies.

by Anonymousreply 42008/28/2013

R419, the book was the same. It was mostly about what happened between the people of the town.

by Anonymousreply 42108/28/2013

So what are the people in the town doing? Aside from the principle characters, we rarely see them except at set pieces like the ludicrous fight club. In the book (I know I know) they were hanging out at the dome border trying to connect with their outside loved ones; that should be referenced every week. There should be a running sub-plot on bartering for food and gas and medicine. I did see trash bags piled up on the sidewalk in front of *one* house. During from the one-episode water war, there wasn't any discussion re getting the town hooked up to the new source, ie pipes being laid... I want to see people in the background carrying buckets of water to flush toilets or digging outhouses or planting gardens or using the backhoe to dig a hole to bury trash.

And how did that woman from the radio station come to be lurking outside the barn with the mini-dome?

by Anonymousreply 42208/28/2013

Annoying blond cow needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 42308/28/2013

[quote]CBS’ Under The Dome dominated Monday in overall audience (10.81 million) and in both the 18-49 (2.5 rating) and 25-54 (3.4 rating) demos.

Because it's original programming. In the good old days shows would run up to 30 episodes a season, cutting down the rerun time. Then they would have shows in the summer replacing regularly scheduled shows. "Hee Haw" and "The Sonny & Cher Show" are two huge examples, they both went on to Primetime success. Cher probably wouldn't be the Cher today if she hadn't done that original summer show.

by Anonymousreply 42408/28/2013

Mare Winninham looked like an old granny.

The girl with the massive forehead needs to do something to cover it up or minimize it. All I can see is forehead and it makes her head look bloated at the top. Her head is bigger than Matt Smith's!

The writing is horrible, the storylines are silly. The fight club thing was idiotic. I will probably finish watching this season but won't be watching when the show returns for another season.

by Anonymousreply 42508/28/2013

Mike Vogel is beautiful, but he was even better looking on Bates Motel.

by Anonymousreply 42608/28/2013

They should have been required to fight in their underwear.

by Anonymousreply 42708/28/2013

I just turned this on, not having seen it since before the blackout. Don't know what the fuck is going on now but will see if I can get back into it.

by Anonymousreply 42809/02/2013

More excitement.

by Anonymousreply 42909/02/2013

It is now officially a hunka hunka burning shit.

by Anonymousreply 43009/02/2013

Stunningly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 43109/02/2013

r430 and r431, can you please elaborate with specific examples?

by Anonymousreply 43209/02/2013

But Mike Vogel -is- a stunning, manly sexy beast. Worth watching just for him as eye-candy. Hope he gets a breakout role. He brought something to a throwaway role as the doofus boyfriend on "Grounded For Life", and I'm watching this for "Barbie".

God, I could watch that man strip and undress for days...damn

by Anonymousreply 43309/02/2013

The whole "This city is now in a state of emergency" thing made me laugh. Literally.

The dome coming down wasn't an emergency. The lack of water wasn't an emergency. The riots weren't an emergency. None of the other murders were emergencies.

But this one. Suddenly, a state of emergency was warranted!

Yeah. Well, I was surprised they actually just killed off a bunch of characters like that... right after introducing them.

by Anonymousreply 43409/02/2013

I hate that fucking sheriff. Like, a lot. I really, really hate her.

This show gets worse with every episode. When was the last time we got to see anything on the outside? When will Big Jim and Junior finally develop a consistent personality? When will they stop introducing characters which wind up murdered in the next episode? When will they get a fucking editor who knows how to pace a show?

I can't believe that I hate this show so much, yet tune it to see it every Monday. Am I a closet masochist?

by Anonymousreply 43509/03/2013

[quote]Stephen King endorsed this dreck? He must be back on the bottle.

He's got a terrible track record with dramatizations of his work. He always thinks they're wonderful. Goes to show you many authors haven't a clue what makes good screenplays.

To be fair, TV is tricky. Speilberg has an iffy track record on the boob tube too.

by Anonymousreply 43609/03/2013

What an onerous pile of shit this show has become. I can't stop watching, but I really am glad there are only two episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 43709/03/2013

[quote]Yeah. Well, I was surprised they actually just killed off a bunch of characters like that... right after introducing them.

Remember when this was filmed last year, the whole thing was just a 13 episode mini-series. It was changed to opened ended when the ratings where high.

Ridiculous the bitch (never bothered to remember her name) just happens to be walking on the beach at the exact time her mother's body washed ashore. Every episode now ends with the kids touching the dome and something is going to happen, BUT tune in next week folks and watch nothing happen. Oh well except for pink stars!

by Anonymousreply 43809/03/2013

This series is getting harder and harder to watch and it's getting to the point that I'm watching basically because of Vogel.

I've been reading the book - I'm now about 400 pages in - and it's remarkable how completely different the characters and plotting are from the TV version. It's as if the only thing they have in common is a dome, and the fact that characters' names are the same (if not their bios).

Just one example: In the series, Barbie is basically a drifter who came to town to get Julia's husband to pay up on his debt. In the book, he's from the town and works in that diner, and hasn't had an affair with Julia, at least not yet. And Julia I believe hasn't been identified as married. (Also, she's identified as a Republican, but because she's fed up with the way Big Jim is running things, Barbie has joked that she's starting to talk like a liberal. So there's clearly a political undercurrent to the book, especially given that some of Junior's "cop" friends have roughed up a vacationing couple because they're from Massachusetts and have an Obama 2012 bumper sticker.)

In fact the book/series difference is to the point that I wonder why King is even executive producer.

by Anonymousreply 43909/03/2013

Well now he's a fugitive responsible for all the murders! Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 44009/03/2013

I think the show and cast is blah. The book was very good, but most of Stephen King's stories are self-contained tales that just don't translate very well into a long-term series. Millions have read the book and already know all the mysteries, so what's the point?

It's just money-making for King.

by Anonymousreply 44109/03/2013

The fat girl's hand healed mighty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 44209/03/2013

[quote]From r438: Remember when this was filmed last year, the whole thing was just a 13 episode mini-series. It was changed to opened ended when the ratings where high.

Any chance you read the original post from last February, wherein it plainly states that this was NOT A MINISERIES.

by Anonymousreply 44309/03/2013

With Time Warner Cable viewers once again able to see CBS shows in three of the country’s top 5 TV markets, CBS’ Under The Dome dominated Labor Day Monday among English-language commercial broadcasters, with a slight uptick in the demo. Dome was dealt a 1.6 in the demo — up a tenth week to week — and 6.8 million viewers.

In total live viewers, Dome lead the night (2.6 rating, 10.7 million viewers) and was up a tenth compared to last week.

by Anonymousreply 44409/03/2013

I am downloading the episodes and will binge-watch them when it's over with. I watched the first one and it seemed to me that I would enjoy it more if I watched them back to back instead of waiting.

by Anonymousreply 44509/03/2013

r445=glutton for punishment.

This show is stupefyingly bad. Hope you have a lot of weed.

by Anonymousreply 44609/03/2013

The black lesbian went upstairs to mourn her partner's death and never came back down.

by Anonymousreply 44709/03/2013

She comes down next week. Don't you watch previews?

by Anonymousreply 44809/03/2013

She died, R447? Guess I missed that due to the CBS blackout. When did it happen and what was the cause?

I figured something like that was going to happen, though, if only because Samantha Mathis, unlike the black actress playing her partner, was always listed as a guest star, not a regular cast member.

by Anonymousreply 44909/03/2013

Junior done cracked her skull open, R449.

by Anonymousreply 45009/03/2013

[quote]Hope you have a lot of weed.

I will take that under advisement.

by Anonymousreply 45109/03/2013

The sugar got her R449.

by Anonymousreply 45209/03/2013

"She comes down next week. Don't you watch previews?"

In my defence, Global TV here in Canada didn't air the preview. By the way, it airs 3 hours earlier on Global than CBS, in case any fellow Canadian DLers weren't aware.

by Anonymousreply 45309/03/2013

[quote]Any chance you read the original post from last February, wherein it plainly states that this was NOT A MINISERIES.

'Under the Dome' and the Return of the Miniseries'

Kiss my domed ass.

by Anonymousreply 45409/04/2013

r454, did you actually read the article you posted, or just its headline?

by Anonymousreply 45509/04/2013

Colin Ford (Joe) is a cutie. He resembles a younger Patrick Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 45609/09/2013

OMG, Big Jim killed again!

And after that, it almost seemed like stuff happened!

And the finale is next week!

by Anonymousreply 45709/09/2013

Big Jim may as well be Snidely Whiplash at this point. It's hilarious to watch Dean Norris positively kill it in Breaking Bad on Sunday night, then watch him twirl his moustache and flash his cape next night in Under the Dome.?

by Anonymousreply 45809/09/2013

Jesus fuck, Linda is actually the dimmest character I've seen on any show ever. She's buying into Jim's "Oooooh, Barbie did it!" for every single crime that now happens. They cast a Latino woman in a position of power and basically have her buy into almost folk-demon levels of bullshit from a white guy. She doesn't even question why Norrie and Joe are in jail. How dumb is this woman?

by Anonymousreply 45909/10/2013

The show does get just worse and worse, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 46009/10/2013

One more episode to not find out what the dome is!

by Anonymousreply 46109/10/2013

I was thinking the same thing about the sheriff. How can she just accept everything Jim says without a thought in her head?

by Anonymousreply 46209/10/2013

In the preview for the next episode, the dome disappears and everyone cheered!

I would imagine that for the next season, it will come down again.

by Anonymousreply 46309/10/2013

This show is poorly written and every character on it is a complete fucking moron, yet I can't stop watching it. Other posters here have pretty much said the same thing. What is it about this show that is so craptastic?

by Anonymousreply 46409/11/2013

Big Jim is practically boiling pet bunnies in front of Linda, but he can distract her by holding up a shiny object. He is such an obvious villain [and not really very interesting]] it does make the rest of the town seem a little mentally challenged. On a superficial note, Barbie does not look too bad cuffed in tight jeans and a snug T-shirt. I have noticed even if his shirt is untucked in front, they make sure it is tucked in the back to make sure the rear view is unobstructed.

by Anonymousreply 46509/11/2013

R463, I though the dome was going black/opaque, not disappearing. I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 46609/11/2013

I was hoping I'd read something on here that would convince me that continuing to watch is a waste of time, but no soap. Back to cbs.com for a full episode....

by Anonymousreply 46709/11/2013

Why We Watch Shows We Hate:

by Anonymousreply 46809/12/2013

People nitpick it to death, but the show is very entertaining. I can barely remember the new episode of Boardwalk Empire, great period detail and some good story lines, but overall, it can be incredibly boring. Not so with Dome, which just whisks along every week.

by Anonymousreply 46909/12/2013

R468, unfortunately that article doesn't live up to the title... there is no 'why' offered, really, just an acknowledgement that he (the writer) is watching a show he doesn't like and doesn't know why. Which puts him in the same boat as me with this show.

And a few other shows I could mention, but won't.

by Anonymousreply 47009/12/2013

There is nothing else on Monday nights is my excuse for watcing

by Anonymousreply 47109/13/2013

I want barbie in a jock.

by Anonymousreply 47209/13/2013

Don't we all.

by Anonymousreply 47309/13/2013

I haven't watched since Time Warner dropped CBS. Is it worth it to catch up via InDemand? Please tell me Barbie anally raped Junior in broadcast television's most graphic sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 47409/13/2013

The worst decision the show's producers have ever made is to not have jr. shirtless, ever!

by Anonymousreply 47509/13/2013

Jr. was shirtless in the pilot. In fact,the series opened with Jr. and Angie fucking. False advertising.

by Anonymousreply 47609/13/2013

Ok, this show is not the greatest, but Barbie is growing on me, he's badass and is not going to let Big Jim get away with his bullishit. No wonder Junior is insane, his father is a murderous lunatic. I think I'll keep watching now.

by Anonymousreply 47709/15/2013

I am curious to know how the producers are going to formulate season 2. I am assuming that Big Jim is killed tomorrow night and the dome lifts.

Worst case scenario is that Big Jim is killed, the town stays under the dome, and a new villain presents himself, someone who's been hiding out in an abandoned house like Max, or even better, who has been hanging out on the beach, like Paulo (?). But it would probably be Junior.

by Anonymousreply 47809/15/2013

[quote] Please tell me Barbie anally raped Junior in broadcast television's most graphic sex scene.

You'll have to wait for the DVD extras.

by Anonymousreply 47909/15/2013

I've can't get excited about this season finale no matter how hard I try. Not even for Barbie.

I am kinda excited to take this thing off of my scheduled dvr recordings.

by Anonymousreply 48009/15/2013

R477, I actually didn't want to watch the series because in the book Big Jim is so absolutely vile character and I just didn't want to go through that again. I anyway ended up watching the series but started from like episode 8 so it was actually nice to see that the show was much lighter than the book.

There is something strangely fascinating about the series. It deals with heavy issues but does it in such a way that you at the same time can't take it seriously but then again understand that it could happen (and I'm talking about the mini society not the dome itself). If it was done in a gritty realistic way I doubt people would like it this much. And the male eye candy also is pretty important ;)

by Anonymousreply 48109/15/2013

Gee, how will the season finale end? With the kids all touching the dome, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 48209/15/2013

Why'd they kill off the lesbian with the glasses?

by Anonymousreply 48309/15/2013

Sneak Preview of Tonight's Season Finale!!!

[quote]Secrets of the Dome are revealed and Big Jim is determined to put an end to Barbie once and for all. Meanwhile, Junior, Angie, Joe and Norrie discover who the Monarch is after receiving a shocking visit from a familiar face, on the first season finale cliffhanger of UNDER THE DOME.

by Anonymousreply 48409/16/2013

So, and I'm just speculating, will the dome be resolved (i.e. go away) tonight with the next season being basically about the outside world trying to figure out what to make of it, who to bring to justice, etc. etc.? I'm really struggling to imagine how this story line can carry on in remotely the same form for another season. I'm pretty sure unless I happen to be very unoccupied again next summer, I won't be watching in any case. I just hope they don't leave a whole bunch of shit unanswered this time.

by Anonymousreply 48509/16/2013

Since most of this series has been in "real time" (each episode is another day) and assuming the dome stays up (it is called Under the Dome, after all) I wonder if next June will find the residents of Chester's Mills under the dome nine months later.

by Anonymousreply 48609/16/2013

[quote]a shocking visit from a familiar face

I bet it's Norrie's mother, back from the dead. The dome is going to restore all the people who died, much to Big Jim's chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 48709/16/2013

I can't believe they didn't kill Big Jim. Or at least that retarded sheriff bitch. She's like Typhoid Mary -- her terrible acting and poorly written character have infected the entire show, turning it into a summer stock production of Oh, Calcutta!

by Anonymousreply 48809/16/2013

She really is horrible. I mean, just utterly horrible. On every level. Writing, character, acting, actress, everything.

She is the worst thing about the show. The only reason I didn't notice at first was that the priest was worse... it wasn't until he was gone that I realized how awful she was.

by Anonymousreply 48909/16/2013

So what happened tonight?

by Anonymousreply 49009/16/2013

Well, Barbie isn't the Monarch.

The mini-dome collapsed.

The big dome went dark then bright.

The dome finally spoke and said "Protect the egg... if you don't you're all doomed." Or words to that effect.

And the contradictory "The dome was sent to PROTECT you."

So yeah, we know nothing more really, and nothing was resolved, really.

The cliff-hanger is Barbie is about to be hanged from the gallows.

by Anonymousreply 49109/17/2013

Cop out. I don't want another season. Couldn't they ave just made a really good 13 episode miniseries and be done with it?

by Anonymousreply 49209/17/2013

"All available units, all available units to Ben Drakes house!"

by Anonymousreply 49309/17/2013

I cackled when the kids got Linda to touch the dome. She's hilariously stupid.

by Anonymousreply 49409/17/2013

The black egg=Magic 8 Ball

by Anonymousreply 49509/17/2013

Apparently they learned nothing from the debacle that was Season 1 of "The Killing."

by Anonymousreply 49609/17/2013

This show is so craptastic in so many ways. I can't become unaddicted to its awfulness.

by Anonymousreply 49709/17/2013

I feel sorry for the guy playing Big Jim. Having to swirl glasses of scotch and attempt a Big Speech every fucking week. Jim turning up at the church not having a clue what's happening, then going to the front and saying "thanks for coming" was too funny. He's such a shitty villain.

Also, the idea that within a few weeks a town would just go along with a gallows, not to mention a death sentence based on no evidence whatsoever, is ridiculous. Added to this a town vs hillbilly propane war, a meningitis outbreak, some new form of meth, looting, and a fight club.

by Anonymousreply 49809/17/2013

Barney Fife is a rocket scientist compared to Linda.

This show should be called Over the Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 49909/17/2013

I actually thought she might do the ole switcheroo and get an egg from the diner and paint it black. Then come to town and drop it. Oops, sorry. Who would know?

by Anonymousreply 50009/17/2013

I didn't understand the finale, but whatever. This show is so bad but I can't stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 50109/17/2013

There really wasn't much to understand. Nothing was explained. Shit just happened and you were supposed to be all awestruck in wonder or whatever. Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 50209/17/2013

The cliffhanger was so weak because it's 99% certain that Barbie will survive. He's basically the main character.

I hope one of the aliens appears in the form of Junior's mom. The lesbian alien was fun.

by Anonymousreply 50309/17/2013

I stopped watching the show...but I do read the recaps.

Less stressful because I don't have to yell at the screen.

by Anonymousreply 50409/17/2013

Was really disappointed about the finale.

The best would have been the dome temporarily lifting and the crowd rushing out including Big Jim. But as Big Jim is crossing, the dome suddenly goes crashing down again slicing him into 2 pieces just like the cow. lol. That would have been awesome!!

by Anonymousreply 50509/17/2013

[quote]I feel sorry for the guy playing Big Jim.

Oh dear God, you have no idea. He's doing Emmy-level work over on Breaking Bad this season and then has to eat this shit for twelve weeks. It must be galling.

[quote]"All available units, all available units to Ben Drakes house!"

That line made me laugh out loud. God bless you for quoting it, R493. That moment when the kids tricked her into touching the dome was so perfectly stupid, it was almost art.

by Anonymousreply 50609/17/2013

That was the finale?

by Anonymousreply 50709/17/2013

The cop is so fucking stupid that her getting fried by the mini-dome would have been a blessing for her

by Anonymousreply 50809/17/2013

TV Review: "Under the Dome’s" Underwhelming Finale:

by Anonymousreply 50909/17/2013

"Under the Dome's" Brian K. Vaughan Defends Finale, Vows Season 2 Will Be 'Different':

by Anonymousreply 51009/17/2013

Do they have Razzies for television? Because everyone else is safe ... this show would sweep all categories.

And the actress who plays Linda should fire her agent.

by Anonymousreply 51109/17/2013

A few pages back someone mentioned that it sucks that the only token Hispanic actress on the show is as horrible as she is. I was about to protest that Erica Cerra isn't Hispanic, she's Italian - and then I looked on IMDB and realized that's not Erica Cerra. My God, they're clones, down to the whiskey-throated husky voices - except that Erica Cerra actually displayed talent during her 6 years on "Eureka."

I had been watching this show wondering if perhaps Ms. Cerra had suffered a terrible tragedy that had severed her facial nerves, making her unable to display emotion.

I suppose being on this show is tragedy enough, but no, it's a different and far inferior actress.

by Anonymousreply 51209/17/2013

The finale felt like they just took what they'd filmed as the original ending (before they knew they knew they were going to do a Season 2) and chopped off the last 10 minutes of that episode.

That's how abrupt it felt.

by Anonymousreply 51309/17/2013

[quote]A few pages back someone mentioned that it sucks that the only token Hispanic actress on the show is as horrible as she is.

I guess I'm much more generous than everyone else. I don't have a problem with the actress -- she's just playing the part as written -- I just think the role itself is what's so fucking bad.

by Anonymousreply 51409/17/2013

R514, to be fair, Mike Vogel is much worse.

by Anonymousreply 51509/17/2013

The finale was crap.

by Anonymousreply 51609/17/2013

The producer is aware that the finale is crap, seeing as he's been "defending" it in various media outlets ever since it aired.

by Anonymousreply 51709/17/2013

Vows Season 2 Will Be 'Different'

Yeah, we've heard that before.

Did you notice that the reporter-woman threw Barbie under the bus at the end? The kids were all, we've got to go stop the hanging! and she told them to hide or something and that she had to protect the egg and that Barbie would have to take his chances. Then she dropped the egg in the lake without thinking that it might have a detrimental effect, and it sent up pink fireworks which apparently is a sign that God wants Barbie to die.

But hey, Stephen King said (when it premiered) the ending was better than the book. I'll bet in his next book, CBS will come into some bad shit.

by Anonymousreply 51809/18/2013

I'm guessing that they'll attempt to completely retool the show next season, but it'll be handled in the clumsiest way possible. The dome will import a new cast of characters because it wants to study more people or something.

It has become the show that everyone hates, but watches because it's still sort of entertaining. Hatewatching gets old pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 51909/18/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 52009/18/2013

The word craptastic was invented for shows like this.

by Anonymousreply 52109/18/2013

Didn't Linda show some intelligence in the pilot? I remember thinking it was going to be largely her vs. Jim and that she would be a driving force of the story. Now she seems like the dumbest character on television. I think she was supposed to look conflicted at the gallows, but that did not come across at all.

I thought I read this was set-up as a mini-series but the ending was written so it could be a multi-year series if ratings warranted but there would be closure on the story if it was a one season shot. Were they still filming when this was renewed, because there was no resolution if that was going to be it. I am thinking they had to rewrite things when it got renewed (which kind of shows...)

by Anonymousreply 52209/18/2013

Why did she throw the egg in the water?

by Anonymousreply 52309/18/2013

How does Neal Baer go from ER to SVU to this crap? He should just go back to practicing medicine.

by Anonymousreply 52409/18/2013

That shit is STILL on?!

Seriously, the second I found out they'd lied and would make this shitfest a series, I took it out of the DVR lineup.

How can you drag a series out about people under a "mysterious" dome??

by Anonymousreply 52509/18/2013

Am I the only one who thought Julia should just shove the egg up her cooch?

by Anonymousreply 52609/18/2013

How can you drag a series out about people under a "mysterious" dome??

Ask AMC, who have a continuing series about zombies. Here's the plot:

"Oh no, zombies! They eat people!"

"They don't even have to fully consume you. One bite and you're a zombie, too."

"Oh no! We're all going to turn into zombies when we die!"

"Oh no! The bad redneck guy took some of our guys prisoners. Let's immediately attack instead of trying to negotiate and let them know they've made a bad mistrake."

"Lets have a people war, only with zombies, too!"

"Let's have a lot of arguing, with zombies showing up every once in a while."

"Let's double cross each other... with zombies!"

by Anonymousreply 52709/18/2013

The actor that plays Reverend Lester Coggins SHIRTLESS!

He is HOT!

by Anonymousreply 52809/18/2013

Butterface!

by Anonymousreply 52909/18/2013

I think they were hedging their bets that it would get picked up as a series. Otherwise, instead of the dome turning black they might have had it shatter and the army rush in to arrest Big Jim and explain everything in ten minutes.

Julia throwing the egg in the lake was a good way at protecting it. At the same time though, couldn't whoever placed it in the woods have just placed it in the lake to begin with? Are the kids and Julia really just needed to protect the egg or will there be more?

Linda was semi-clever earlier in the series. It seemed like her unearthing the meth plot was going to be a bigger deal. Also, her voice has gotten huskier.

They shouldn't have killed Rose. She was fabulous. Her diner could have been Chester's Mill's answer to the Kit Kat Klub.

by Anonymousreply 53009/18/2013

eeew r528, only at DL would this guy be considered hot. Thanks for the laugh r528

by Anonymousreply 53109/18/2013

Agree r522, Linda was smarter and more involved earlier in the series. Now she is a marginal character.

CBS made a mistake in renewing the show for another season. I think most people tuned in because it was a finite series. The acting and the plotting are not anything special; viewers just wanted to see how it played out at the end. Now there is no "end" and the ridiculous writing has alienated everyone.

Writing scripts is such a competitive business that I'm sure the writers for this show are very competent and well aware of the flaws. I'd like to hear from them why it has deteriorated into such a joke.

Compare this show with Broadchurch, another series with an isolated cast facing a threat. Maybe we should just outsource all of our television to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 53209/18/2013

CBS’ summer series Under The Dome wrapped its solid run on a high note (at least ratings wise, reactions from fans to the finale have not been as favorable), drawing 11.8 million viewers and a 2.8/8 in 18-49, up 33% in the demo from last week and the best 18-49 rating since July 29.

by Anonymousreply 53309/18/2013

Unless season two opens with Barbie shooting his load into Junior's tight ass while Joe watches from the closet, I don't think I'm gonna bother. Should we start a letter-writing campaign?

by Anonymousreply 53409/18/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 53509/18/2013

That interview with the producer linked above was just pathetic.

He couldn't answer any questions, not to avoid spoilers but because he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 53609/18/2013

R531 are you saying he doesn't have a good body?

by Anonymousreply 53709/18/2013

They need a lot more male beefcake and repressed homosexual sexual tension to make it more interesting.

Nobody REALLY believes that Junior is interested in [italic]girls[/italic], do they?

by Anonymousreply 53809/18/2013

omg, that interview with the exec producer linked above is just... bullshit. He's using Stephen King as a shield, as if every wrong decision was made with his input.

by Anonymousreply 53909/18/2013

r537, the body is okay, in no way would I consider this guy hot. That face is a dick wilter.

by Anonymousreply 54009/18/2013

The ending was pretty lazy writing, and something I was afraid of they would do. I was hoping that something truly drastic would happen but no. I thought they maybe could've brought the dome down and turn the series to something else in the second season, but apparently they have no plans of disturbing the formula. I was also hoping they could've used the book's ending in some way.

- - - SPOILER - - - about how the book ended:

In the book it was revealed in the end, if I remember correctly, that some teen aliens in outer space or in other dimension were just having fun with humans and created the dome to play with the people of the town. In the end the main alien (for some reason I remember it to be an alien teen girl) had had enough, but I don't remember did she feel sympathy with the humans or was she just bored of the game. She just removed the dome, but I don't remember what happened to Barbie or Big Jim or Junior, but Big Jim possibly died.

Of course that ending seemed in a way a cop out also but I was kind of hoping that this show would've used that idea, because it's so out there.

by Anonymousreply 54109/18/2013

R541 That sounds like a really bad "Twilight Zone" episode.

by Anonymousreply 54209/18/2013

R542, yes the book was all about what people did under the dome and Big Jim running the city and being a proper wanker. The book was serious with all that stuff but the ending felt at the same time like it was approriate and completely stupid.

by Anonymousreply 54309/18/2013

I had to laugh at the producer's interview when he said he did not think Big Jim was a mustache twirling villain. He could have given Snidley Whiplash a run for his money.

by Anonymousreply 54409/18/2013

[quote]Of course that ending seemed in a way a cop out also but I was kind of hoping that this show would've used that idea, because it's so out there.

What ending would not be a cop out?

by Anonymousreply 54509/20/2013

I'm staying far away from this next season. Sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 54609/22/2013

R532 is spot-on. CBS sucks.

by Anonymousreply 54709/22/2013

Anyone ever go to Chaturbate? Well there was a guy on yesterday that is the spitting image of Junior. I'm not saying it was him but he had on a California sweatshirt and never did anything but read people's comments. NSFW site but if he comes on again, see if you agree.

by Anonymousreply 54809/23/2013

[quote]I feel sorry for the guy playing Big Jim. Having to swirl glasses of scotch and attempt a Big Speech every fucking week.

Well, at least he's having fun here:

by Anonymousreply 54909/23/2013

I watch for Mike Vogel.

He needs to do cable so he can get naked.

by Anonymousreply 55012/29/2013

R551 Anyone watching Mike Vogel in his boxers on the Hallmark movie tonight on ABC, April 20 2014? "In My Dreams?Jesus, he just gets better and better.

That is one hot, sexy man. Damn

by Anonymousreply 55104/20/2014

Coming back soon

by Anonymousreply 55206/09/2014

I won't be watching this year. They sucked me in last year, but I won't be back.

by Anonymousreply 55306/09/2014

Alexander Koch. Related to the evildoers?

by Anonymousreply 55406/09/2014

I barely made it through 4 episodes of the first season, watching it on Amazon Prime. I won't be tuning in this year at all. It was all hype.

That preview of 'Hemlock Grove' has me curious though .....

by Anonymousreply 55506/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.