Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Wall Calendars

Why?

Why are these still made?

Who still uses them?

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

I buy one every year. I like mine. Shut up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

They produce many special interest and art inspired ones that are often beautiful. I once suggested calendars as a gift choice for a friend needing inexpensive gifts for others at Christmas. Now she gives me several every year. I have not told her I don't use them. I tack them up somewhere and when the pages start to curl and it looks ugly I toss them.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

People who need to meet the $20 Secret Santa gift limitation.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

My mom still uses them as she doesn't have a smartphone or a computer that she uses regularly.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

For me, the date part is about being able to visualise a whole month or a whole year at a glance and the picture part is about visual pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

I always have a calendar. I note in code my sexual activity for future reference. I also make notes about any new sexual partner or trick. Then I can keep track of how many times I tricked with someone. Each year I tabulate, new tricks, old tricks and my JO sessions. Otherwise I can forget I ever fucked you. I am sure you don't want your spread ass cheeks to be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

R5, same here with my mother. I don't use one. A co-worker gave me one recently, and it's still in its plastic wrapper.

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

R7, has a warmth about him that I find appealing.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

I use them, I can't deal with the electronic calendar, it's annoying. Its easier plan with. I don't hang it up though, I keep it in a drawer and on the kitchen counter.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

Good for when you share a household.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

Bookstore chains really push them during "Q4" (the holiday season) because they're immensely profitable.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

I use them, just like wall clocks, you don't have to reach into your pocket to see essential information at a glance

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

We usually get one for our office at work. This year no calendar. I'm about to break down and get one of my own. I keep glancing at the wall when planning things with my clients.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

Each year I get a colossal one, about 2' x 3' unfolded, from the heating oil supplier. I think it's the same photos of national parks each year. It costs in the vicinity of $6000 of fuel deliveries and goes straight into the trash.

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

I use iCal synched on my phone and on my desktop, but I put up a wall calendar in my kitchen as well. It's always a subject I'm interested in, and I like having something different in that space each month. This year it's the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

I used to get all giddy when I was 11-12 and it was calendar season. Back then (early to mid 80s), there were so many beefcake calendars: Chippendales (back when they'd pose in tiny briefs, not just open shirts), "Buns", "Up Front", "Cheeks."

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

I have beed collecting calendars with interesting images for many decades . . . at sometime in the future I plan on taking up Picture Framing as a hobby . . . when ( and if ) I ever get that done I'll have a few thousand images already in my possession . . .

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

My partner and his brother use to get kitty calendars every Christmas from their great aunt. Sweet, but they were receiving them until she died, when they both were entering their forties.

I always reminded them they should be grateful she didn't knit or sew.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

While shaving every morning, I check the wall calendar in the bathroom to remind myself of what I have to do each day.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

Do drug stores still give away St. Joseph Aspirin calendars with a pocket for each month?

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

Computer/phone calendars don't tell you when it's a holiday. Did you know that this Sunday is Flag Day? And March 18 is when Eastern Orthodox Lent begins -- the same day that Benito Juarez's birthday is observed.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

Just get a poster book. Wall calendars are pointless. You can write shit in those boxes. Get into the 21st century and get an iPhone!

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

I don't want an Iphone, OP/R23. I want my flip and a goddam wall calendar. What the hell do you care? Obviously wall calendars sell. That's why they're still being made.

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

Flag Day is June 14, my father's birthday.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

Our church gives wall calendars with images of Jesus and scenes that look they were painted in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2013

The secretary of a friend in Pennsylvania likes firemen. Always send the FDNY calendar for her cube.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

R18 I took a couple of my favorite prints from an Edward Hopper calendar for framing some time ago. The framer advised me not to waste the money since calendars often use cheap dyes, and as a result the prints fade quickly. Makes sense really.

I ignored his advice and within a few months, even in a shaded spot, colors had faded and changed. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but many of your thousands of images may not hold up.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

R27 is her last name Coit?

by Anonymousreply 2902/12/2013

Mine covers up the circut breaker box.

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2013

This is why I buy wall calendars, OP:

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2013

I still have a wall calendar for my kitchen and always will. It's nice to be able to just glance up and see the month laid out right there in front of you instead of having to get out your phone or get on your computer.

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2013

those people who claim to use wall calenders need to quit lying. you're so full of it. you know you have that same calender from 1998 still hanging on your wall. to this day, you still don't know what day or date it is. you have to ask everyone else. the only ones who really use wall calenders are wicans and lycans. and they need to know when the full moon is.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

I use iCloud, but every other year or so I'll happen to get one of those kitschy, huge calendars from an Asian restaurant or market -- where the photos of the food don't seem to have changed since the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

I believe anyone under 40 who uses a wall calendar is retarded.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

Cavalini wall calendars are beautiful:

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.