Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Future Pope

I can't say that I'm going to miss this Pope ... he always had such a holier-than-though attitude!

Anyhoo, I was was wondering if the cardinals will try to do a "first" this time. They have a real chance to break some ground here.

by Anonymousreply 8203/08/2013

He was an evil man with no morals.

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2013

Other. The second black pope.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

How about the Pope of Greenwich Village?

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Olivia Pope

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

Wasn't there already a (secret) female Pope? Pope Joan?

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

And I think they already did "gay pope" back in 1550

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

First OPENLY GAY pope maybe... but there's no way the next pope could be the first gay pope. That's just a hilarious notion.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

Does a bear pope in the woods?

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

The gay poopy was Julius III, his lover was Innocenzo. He elevated his squeeze to Cardinal. I am sure there have been other gay poopys. That said, FUCK THE RCC, tax the bastards.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

I think Julianne Moore would make a great pope!

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

The next pope will be no more enlightened that Ben. He picked the Cardinals in his own image.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

R4 Shonda, you beat me here.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

Other. Second woman pope. Hope she has a reign like the first. Having a baby in the street (or the popemobile) on live will finally end this stupid institution

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

St. Malachy says the next Pope will be the last and will be a Roman. No way this institution is gonna buck the prophesy. Why do you think I became Benedict?

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

I tend not to give a rats ass about the Roman Catholic Church and their next Pope/Emperor/Queen/King. The RC Church is essentially a medievil institution trying to stamp medievil values on the world- and of course their goal is their own glorification, not the good of their followers. I mean, all that wealth concentrated in Rome, their enormous holdings, their art etc. You'd think they'd distribute a bit of it to the world's needy. You also would think they would attempt to protect children, not hide their abuse of them. Etc, etc. And the press will go on and on about all this.

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

There have been a few African popes in antiquity (we can debate whether they were black or brown)

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

[quote]I think Julianne Moore would make a great pope!

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2013

But it isn't R15. All of the cardinals were appointed by the last two popes, which means the Nazi takeover of the church is complete. The Catholic church as it existed in 1978 is gone. It's as though a burglar came into your house as patriarch and gradually replaced every member of your family.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2013

Pope Paul VI was gay as well. His boyfriend was an Italian actor.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2013

Wouldn't it be great if they get a pope who will push birth control and marriage for priest?

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2013

I wonder what kind of wheeling and dealing goes on in the college of cardinals during the succession voting.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

It's gonna be the guy from Ghana.

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

Other: Chris Christie.

I've got to clear that giant turd so I can become President in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

St. Gio of Benitez

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

I nominate Alexander Pope.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2013

[quote]I can't say that I'm going to miss this Pope

Why are you interested in the pope? Why are you following this? Why are you allowing this concept into your life, enough to possibly miss one of them?

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2013

I predict that the next pope will be from a country that has absolutely no pedophilia scandals.

Like, Antarctica.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2013

The next Pope might just well be more conservative than this one, since, as has been stated, the vast majority of cardinals were appointed by the last two popes. They are exceedingly conservative and will govern that way.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2013

Do I get to vote?

by Anonymousreply 2902/12/2013

I hope they finally elect a Pope who isn't a boy-hungry pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2013

Tim Dolan is so well-spoken, he'd be perfect for the job.

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2013

The archbishop of Manilla is a rising star in hierarchy.

Turkson of Ghana is another.

The Latin Americans thinks its their turn and think they deserve the papal throne before any African.

BTW, Alexander Pope was a Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2013

[quote]The next Pope might just well be more conservative than this one

Who cares? It's a misogynistic, homophobic, pedophilia-loving, ancient, backwards religion. You should care less.

by Anonymousreply 3302/12/2013

Can we talk more about prophecies? Isn't "the black pope" next? The one who will walk on the corpses of dead cardinals as the Vatican falls to ruin?

by Anonymousreply 3402/12/2013

Popeil I of Potato

by Anonymousreply 3502/12/2013

[R17] Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

I think Marco Rubio may be available shortly.

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

Future pope? Like a cyborg or a replicant?

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

R27, LOL but wish it wasn't true.

OP, Again you forgot to include an Asian or Filipino Pope.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

The Cardinal from Vienna is said to be a considered runner, however he recently said the church needs to take another look at priestly celibacy. That will cause a lot of Cardinals to move away from him.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

If the damn cardinals are wise...they will bring the church into the 21st century. Good grief! It's 2013 and you would think the church is still living in the dark ages. I'm sick to death of all religion. I wish I could move to a planet where there is, NO RELIGION.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

Could someone tell me why an American Pope is so completely out of the question?

I think the U.S. has something like 50 million Catholics. That has to rival Europe.

Also, the U.S. Church has suffered a massive loss of people in recent years over the social divide with the Catholic Church which seems like could be closed with a 'local' Pope.

Not that I'd advocate it of course. That fat bitch Tim Dolan here in New York would be the major front runner to be a U.S. Pope and he's a total famewhore. This guy makes Charles Schumer look like a wallflower when it comes to honing-in on the cameras.

Those in New York will know what I'm talking about. He is so shamelessly into promoting himself it isn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2013

Carmelita Pope gets my vote.

by Anonymousreply 4302/13/2013

[quote]Could someone tell me why an American Pope is so completely out of the question?

Because there aren't enough American cardinals to vote an American into the office. Do you really think any cardinal from Europe, Asia, Africa, or South America would vote for an American? They aren't voting for someone based on the amount of Catholics in a nation.

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

Time for a Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013

I think the cardinals don't want a pope who represents a "superpower." This isn't the first time. The main reason why the 17th, 18th, and 19th century popes were all Italian was becausse the cardinals didn't want an Austrian, Frenchman or Spaniard (who were presumably controlled by their respective monarchs) to assume the papacy.

by Anonymousreply 4602/13/2013

Maybe for a retirement present we should sent the Pope on a Carnival Cruise!

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

I think the betting is all on the black pope since that's where the RCC is expanding the most.

by Anonymousreply 4902/15/2013

I guess Olivia Newton-John wouldn't be considered huh?

by Anonymousreply 5002/15/2013

Interesting article on this topic from [italic]The Nation[/italic]:

by Anonymousreply 5102/20/2013

Talk now is for Dolan of NYC, but he has that little Milwaukee problem to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 5202/20/2013

The institution is a sinister, evil, diseased institution and the "faithful" are nuts. I watch these news reports of people gathered in St. Peter's Square, and I have to wonder what planet do they come from. Seriously.

In that frame of mind, I watched the documentary onChurch's cover up of pedophiles, Mea Maxima Culpa, and now, my attitude towards Ratzinger has softened a little. IMO, the true evil was in John Paul II. There was another,too, the one who was the Vatican Secretary of State.

As several Vatican observers and experts stated: Even this Pope has very limited power. Apparently there's a beauracracy and a network that is in the Vatican and that undermines all efforts to remedy the situation.

Pedophilia isn't a new problem. The level of scrutiny and the demand for reform is what's new. There are actually letters and statements in the archives where pedophiles were discussed as a problem of the early church 1700 years ago.

So this is a sick institution, and after I saw the documentary, I had a better understanding of why this pope stepped down and the shame and torment he must be in for his complicity. I think he is realizing that he should have done more and he is ashamed. Stepping down from the Papacy is a very big deal in his world.

I'm not entirely exhonerating him, but he didn't come across as evil at all. John Paul came across as venal and sinister. John Paul is an evil man. I have to wonder. Ratzy was trying to fast track John Paul's canonization, but there are serious investigations that have to take place. I wonder if the investigations turned up reasons to not confer sainthood on him.

I highly reccommend the documentary. I have lost all respect for the Catholic Church and I suspect they will elect a Latino, or someone else from outside the network that really controls the inner Church.

by Anonymousreply 5302/20/2013

Pope Sicle!

by Anonymousreply 5402/20/2013

Other - Back to Italian born

by Anonymousreply 5502/20/2013

It's unlikely much will change.

Even though Catholicism is bleeding members in Europe/US while booming in Latin America and Africa, the core of the cardinals are still in Europe and the US.

And they stick to old white guys.

Supposedly Archibishop Dolan is on the list, as is some dude from Canada. But there's some Austrian guy who's probably next.

by Anonymousreply 5602/20/2013

A gay pope would be the biggest fuck you ever.

Imagine the meltdown all those homophobic religious nuts would have.

by Anonymousreply 5702/21/2013

[quote]Also, the U.S. Church has suffered a massive loss of people in recent years over the social divide with the Catholic Church which seems like could be closed with a 'local' Pope.

People want nothing to do with them because the majority is not religious. That's never coming back. The Catholic Church = Third World. That's their hold.

We shouldn't care about some stupid construct that dangerous institution has called a pope.

by Anonymousreply 5802/21/2013

Pope Desi Arnaz, Jr. sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 5902/21/2013

More Importantly what will happen to Gorgeous Monsignor Georg Ganswein

by Anonymousreply 6002/21/2013

That priest in Milwaukee that is speaking out. Now HE deserves to be applauded.

by Anonymousreply 6102/21/2013

Oohhh... A pope who was molested as a child by a priest!

by Anonymousreply 6202/21/2013

I read that Gorgeous Georg will be the assistant to Benedict in his retirement. Given Benedict's condition, Georg won't be out of action long.

by Anonymousreply 6302/22/2013

Oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh

What you know

It's the Carmilita Oooh-Oooh Show

Oooh, oooh

by Anonymousreply 6402/22/2013

[quote]I can't say that I'm going to miss this Pope ... he always had such a holier-than-though attitude!

I disagree. I think he's a very shy man who would rather be reading good books while listening to classical music, instead of being a pope.

by Anonymousreply 6502/22/2013

Cardinal Keith O’Brien, an outspoken critic of plans by the Scottish and Westminster governments to introduce marriage equality, believes priests should be able to marry if they so wish.

In an interview with BBC Scotland, O’Brien stated that it would be within the scope of the new Pope to consider whether the Catholic Church should change its stance on other issues, which were not of divine origin.

The cardinal explained: “For example the celibacy of the clergy, whether priests should marry – Jesus didn’t say that.

“There was a time when priests got married, and of course we know at the present time in some branches of the Church – in some branches of the Catholic Church – priests can get married, so that is obviously not of divine of origin and it could get discussed again.”

O’Brien said he had never personally thought about whether he wanted to get married as he had been “too busy” with his duties.

O’Brien is the only man in Britain with a say in who succeeds Pope Benedict XVI after he stands down on 28 February.

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2013

Last November, Cardinal O’Brien was named ‘Bigot of the Year’ by a gay rights charity due to his staunch opposition to marriage equality.

In 2012, he stated that same-sex relationships were “harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing” and compared equal marriage to slavery and child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2013

The first heterosexual pope.

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2013

I think they'll go with another conservative Pope. There hasn't been sufficient movement in the hierarchy of the Church to have a real think about what it should be in the 2000s, if not what it is. It's a dinosaur, just not a dead dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2013

Anyone throwing a farewell party for Pope Sidious next week? What would you serve?

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013

Isn't the next pope meant to be the Antichrist?

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2013

I always liked the term 'Antipope'. One of those, please.

by Anonymousreply 7202/23/2013

The American Cardinals were scheduled to meet the U.S. media on Thursday morning. At the last minute it was cancelled. They were told by the Curia to STFU and not go to the press meeting. The Italian Cardinals are obviously in charge.

by Anonymousreply 7303/07/2013

Is it pope yet?

by Anonymousreply 7403/08/2013

The conclave is scheduled to open March 12th. That means there are nearly five days for leaks regarding front-runners before they get locked in.

by Anonymousreply 7503/08/2013

Well that's disappointing, R75. The "experts" on the news were saying that the sooner the conclave starts, the more likely it is that they will choose an insider/an Italian. The longer they took, the more time the cardinals had to get to know each other.

by Anonymousreply 7603/08/2013

All this is total guessing, but I think the next Pope will be from Africa. There are millions of Catholics there, and at the same time Islam is on the rise. An African pope might sway lots of people toward the church. The African cardinals are very conservative, though, so it won't change anything.

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2013

[quote]Islam is on the rise.

If you go back ten centuries, Pope Urban II was raising an army to free the Holy Land from Islamic rule (First Crusade). Urban was also trying to deal with married clergy. The new pope will be dealing with cardinals and bishops who want priests to be able to marry.

Urban II also set up the Roman Curia in the manner of a royal court to help run the Church. It's the Curia that in recent years has been involved in banking scandals.

You don't have to be Catholic or religious to view the interesting history of this event. Ten centuries ago, the pope wielded an amazing amount of power throughout Europe.

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2013

The only American Cardinal who might change things is the one from Boston.

As for the St Malachy predictions -most historians say that last prediction about Peter Romanus is a forgery and was added much later -centuries later.

by Anonymousreply 7903/08/2013

Again, looking back ten centuries, while Urban II was raising an army, there was strife in Syria.

The ruler of Syria, Tutush I, died so his lands were divided between his sons Fakhr who inherited Aleppo and Duqaq who inherited Damascus. Both of the emirs were antagonistic towards each other, no brotherly love. They were also involved in a fued with Kerbogha, in nearby Mosul.

by Anonymousreply 8003/08/2013

The Vatican must be mobbed up. I wonder how many Italian and Italian-American cardinals have Mafia connections.

by Anonymousreply 8103/08/2013

Isn't one of the things that Italy is charging the Vatican with - laundering money for the mafia?

by Anonymousreply 8203/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.