Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matthias Schoenaerts

Sexy Belgian actor, recently co-starred with Marion Cotillard in "Rust and Bone" (2012), gives a brilliant performance in the haunting, devastating thriller "Bullhead" (2011), has the lead in the current Oscar nominated short film "Death of a Shadow" (2012), has been acting for a decade, including a small part in "Black Book" (2006).

Now he's making the move to Hollywood with roles in "Blood Ties" opposite Mila Kunis, Zoe Saldana, Clive Owen and Cotillard again; "The Loft," a remake of a film he appeared in a few years ago, this time co-starring Karl Urban, Wentworth Miller, James Marsden and Eric Stonestreet; and rumored to be involved with "A Little Choas" opposite Kate Winslet and "Suite Francaise" opposite Michelle Williams and Kristin Scott Thomas.

Anybody else a fan?

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Of course, I realize he's no Heath Ledger....

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

I like Timo Descamps, another Belgian-actor-trying-to-make-it-in-America, better. Plus he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2013

I was turned off from seeing "Rust and Bone"--i seemed too much of an obvious Oscar ploy for Marion Cotillard (she plays a maritime park oceanographer who loses the uses of her legs to an accident with an orca--!!!--, which seemed like a parody of the kind of incident that befouls characters fr Oscar-nominated performances). Apparently the Academy and other critics tagreed with me: it's not a movie that got much nominations love this year.

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2013

Also, the last time someone in a major movie lost the use of her lower extremities to a killer whale it was Bo Derek getting her legs bitten off in "Orca" (chomp, chomp, chomp!), the memory of which made the new Marion Cotillard movie seem all the more ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2013

The Orca Angle of Rust and Bone was the worst part about it. It wasn't necessary. And other than her losing her legs (which could have been done in way a less ridiculous manner), her career/life as an animal trainer served no purpose to the rest of the plot. It was odd and tangential.

It wasn't really her story anyway; it was his. She was marvelous in it, but he really stole the show. He has charisma for miles.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2013

Oh, I thought you meant Michiel Huisman, who was also in Black Book. I saw him in a nutty movie set in New York as well as a pretty bad biopic 'Margot' playing Nureyev.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

Bullhead was really well done but incredibly disturbing . He is so much better looking in real life than in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

He's amazing in Bullhead which finally opened in the UK. Great film and likely to remain his definitive movie in every sense, a must see if you like him. He's a little old now so I imagine he must have some other good films from the past decade.

R3 I totally agree with you re: Rust and Bone, I found that so disappointing, it's decent but not a patch on Jacques Audiard's last films A Prophet and The Beat That My Heart Skipped, I expected so much more.

And as a Marion loon, I can't even say I'm too bothered she missed the nomination, even with that text book Oscar bait she didn't get that much to do and it compares unfavourably to other films with a similar theme that were out at the same time like Intouchables and The Sessions. Sadly they won't allow two foreign language performances in now it seems and I was thinking Wallis might get in so they could do a tired "youngest/oldest" nominee face off thing, but in a freak year Riva and Amour all the way, clearly much better.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!