Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kobe Bryant calls out fan for using "gay" as a derogatory term

I haven't gone back to see what the fan said, but here it is. Interesting.

[quote]Just letting you know@PacSmoove @pookeo9 that using "your gay" as a way to put someone down ain't ok! #notcool delete that out ur vocab

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

"your gay"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he once in trouble for calling someone a faggot?

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

He is a changed man

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

So was he calling the fans out for incorrect grammar or the use of "gay"?

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

He didn't want to offend O.J.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

It made ESPN news.

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2013

Accompanying article. Over 5000 comments. I'm afraid to look.

Kobe Bryant admonished one of his Twitter followers for using a homophobic insult toward another fan of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar guard.

Bryant, who has nearly 1.3 million Twitter followers, reprimanded a fan who tweeted "You're gay" to another fan.

In response to the insult that was posted Sunday on his own Twitter feed, Bryant tweeted: "Just letting you know@PacSmoove @pookeo9 that using "your gay" as a way to put someone down ain't ok! #notcool delete that out ur vocab."

Bryant was fined $100,000 in April for using a gay slur in a nationally televised game, an incident that NBA commissioner David Stern called "offensive and inexcusable."

After receiving a technical foul in a game against the San Antonio Spurs, Bryant yelled at referee Bennie Adams before muttering a gay slur while sitting on the bench. The episode was caught on camera during TNT's national telecast.

Bryant apologized a day later, saying that he did not mean to offend anyone.

Following his tweet Sunday, one of Bryant's followers reminded the All-Star about April's incident.

Bryant tweeted in response: "exactly! That wasn't cool and was ignorant on my part. I own it and learn from it and expect the same from others."

Bryant did not address the Twitter spat following Monday's practice. The Lakers host the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2013

I've been all over the ESPN comments page. It's shocking. It's troll fucking central. I know it's just idiots, sort of like IMBD comments, but it's incredibly deflating to read.

That said, Kobe (let's just assume he didn't rape that girl - most in the know think he didn't) is incredibly intelligent. He's a total prima donna, but a smart, smart guy. I think it's great that a male athlete of his stature is willing to do this.

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2013

This is like anti-bullying. It's pretty cool to see.

I wish it would be socially rewarded or trendy for kids, celebrities, and everyone to step in and protect those weaker than they are.

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2013

I sorted by highest rated, R8, and those comments were actually pretty good and progressive for the most part. I don't recall seeing an ESPN article that isn't about a controversial game get so much commentary. Bound to be lots of trolls esp. since he's a lightening rod figure.

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2013

R10, I'm the resident DL sports guy and a die hard Lakers fan. Every single article about Kobe maxes out the comments section. Gay or not gay.

And, yeah, there are some decent comments, but the vast majority are pretty vile. I've been wading through them since the article was active.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

[quote]I wish it would be socially rewarded or trendy for kids, celebrities, and everyone to step in and protect those weaker than they are.

I think this is the direction we are moving in, thankfully. I think it will soon be (if it isn't already) relatively unacceptable for elite athletes and famous entertainers to be vocally anti-gay.

It's terrific that Kobe did this (whether he was sincere or not). He is enormously popular among a large population of people who are likely not terribly tolerant, and don't often hear these kinds of messages.

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2013

You're a brave soul to have waded through them, R8. Any gossip about Pau Gasol? I have a weird thing for him.

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2013

Good for Kobe.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2013

OK, he's good on the gay thing. Now if we could just get him to understand the difference between "your" and "you're."

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2013

R13, gay rumors about Pau? No. He lives in Redondo Beach in the South Bay and is beloved there (my best friend is a bartender at a local haunt, Pau comes in all the time). Just a great, great guy. He is very good friends with the smoking hot Rafa Nadal, however...

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2013

Another good article about the situation. Glad ESPN is publishing this.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!