Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the most overlooked Meryl performance?

On behalf of the delightful Streep Troll.

by Anonymousreply 6003/03/2013

First Do No Harm

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Meryl wasn't able to go to the BAFTAS yesteray either. Something is up. I hope she isn't seriously ill.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

"The River Wild" - it isn't even in your poll!

or "Dark Matter"

I do like "Falling in Love"

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

What? No Death Becomes Her?

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

R4 Maeve, do you hate her, or what?

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

Cumsloppy Buttholes

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

Thanks, OP, for starting this most necessary poll.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

Thank you, OP-by-proxy!

Once again, a brilliant plan of mine has to fruition, with the help of one of my many supporters.

*Big Kiss*, especially for you!

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

Julia

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

I second 'Death Becomes Her'. Meryl at her comedic best.

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

Would someone please start this thread for me: "Which of Meryl's performances reminds you most of Norma Shearer?"

Kisses, doll! TIA!!!

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

This thread is for fat people, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

the "There will be days and days and days like this" scene at the end of Plenty is one of her great moments on film (especially knowing what we had seen in the scene before)

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

God, She Devil sucked -- everything about it sucked. You should try to get hold of the British mini series. That was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

Meryl said it was her least favorite film, but I think she was fantastic in "Still of the Night."

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

A Prairie Home Companion wasn't Altman's best work by a long shot but Meryl's performance was really subtle and understated. She was fantastic with Lily Tomlin despite Lilo's shiteous presence.

by Anonymousreply 1902/11/2013

No it wasn't, r17. Anyone who saw he UK miniseries puked in the first 15 minutes of Meryl's, regardless of how "good" she was in comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

Didn't Meryl also hate Holocaust and called it a piece of shit? Think I read that here. An award winning piece of shit at least that got her her first major award.

R16 Meryl thought that too and IIRC on a UK radio interview at the time seemed disappointed it wasn't more like that TV series with Patrica Hodge (who also played Thatcher) which is why she signed on.

by Anonymousreply 2102/11/2013

She was great as Bernardine in Waiting to Exhale.

by Anonymousreply 2202/11/2013

R14 = Jame Gumb

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

You can't overlook a Meryl "performance".

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

Stay in the closet and in your crypt, Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

While we're at it with all the Meryl threads, why not have a "What is the most overrated Meryl performance?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

A dingo's got my baaaby!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

Has there been a thread on "What is your favorite Meryl accent?"

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

Overlooked or unjustly overlooked?

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

Yet again: "Adaptation"

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

R27 here. I referred to "Evil Angels" where La Streep managed a tolerable Aussie accent. I note that no one has mentioned this obscure film.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

This is a very necessary thread.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

If you are being sarcastic, then why are you reading/ responding ???

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

"Its French for dog puke!"

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2013

Marvin's Room, the most overlooked, considering it didn't make either poll but was much discussed in the other thread.

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2013

To my dear benefactor at r33 - and to any paying member reading this:

could you please implement what r28 suggested? A poll thread entitled:

"What is your favorite Meryl accent?"

That way, we'd have a *perfect trifecta* of Meryl threads: favorite performance (greatest hits), favorite overlooked performance, and favorite accent.

Poll options should be:

1) Polish & German in 'Sophie's Choice', 2) Danish in 'Out of Africa', 3) Aussie/Kiwi hybrid in 'A Cry in the Dark', 4) Italian in 'Bridges of Madison County', 5) Texan in 'Silkwood', 6) Midwestern in 'A Prairie Home Companion', 7) Bronx in 'Doubt', 8) Irish in 'Dancing at Lughnasa', 9) British RP in 'Plenty/French Lft/Iron Lady', 10) Julia Childese in 'Julie & Julia'.

Yes, that's a lot of stuff to type. But it is very necessary, and you are needed!

Think of your poor ex, think of my important trollish work here, and get going !!!

*Kisses* and TIA!

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

r29: no Meryl performance can ever be justly overlooked. So your question is moot.

r30: she received an Oscar nomination for 'Adaptation', therefore the performance wasn't overlooked. It doesn't belong in this thread.

r37: point taken.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

Well, now we've got three Meryl threads!

Thanks again for creating the perfect trifecta!

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

Meryl Oscar day, everybody!

by Anonymousreply 4102/24/2013

Meryl Oscar day, everybody!

by Anonymousreply 4202/24/2013

Voted for "Plenty," which I had completely forgotten about. LOVED everything about it when it came out. Especially Tracey Ullman, whom I adored

by Anonymousreply 4302/24/2013

River Wild!!

by Anonymousreply 4402/24/2013

I see me, I see me, actress, woman, star and lover. Sister, sweetheart, slave and mothaaaah!

by Anonymousreply 4502/24/2013

What's the deal with Ironweed? It got nominated for an Oscar in a strong year, but that's all it got and was for once overlooked by the Golden Globes.

I've heard many say it's one of her best performances but a Meryl loon told me it was one she shouldn't have been nominated for, along with Music from the Heart where "she got a nomination for learning to play the violin".

She has so many nominations that some are forgotten about and underrated in a sense.

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2013

r46, no self-respecting Meryl loon would ever tell you that 'Ironweed' and 'Music of the Heart' (not 'from the Heart') were undeserverd nominations.

If they did, they were indeed loony.

'Ironweed' in particular is one of her stongest performances evah.

Some of her nominations may be less remembered these days, but that doesn't mean they're overloooked. As soon as somebody gets nominated, they become a footnote of Hollywood history - therefore their work is not 'overlooked', per definitionem.

Nicholson too was nominated for 'Ironweed' btw. And he LOVED her performance in that film, has said so many times.

by Anonymousreply 4703/03/2013

Streep Troll: what do you think of rumors that Meryl bedded several of her co-stars? She is still my favorite leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2013

I don't think they're true, r48.

She's a cancer. Naturally devoted to her husband.

If she were gemini or aries, I would think differently.

by Anonymousreply 4903/03/2013

I agree. I admired her minimalism at this year's Oscars. Can't wait for "August: Osage County."

by Anonymousreply 5003/03/2013

She was bad in Ironweed: if ever you want to see a performance, aside from Doubt, that confirms the "click click click" charge, that's it.

Her most overlooked is Postcards from the Edge. Even though she was nommed people don't often mention it as a high point of her career.

But she's hilarious from start to finish. Some people say Maclaine steals it but I disagree. Maclaine's great fun but not better than Streep. Pauline Kael, of course, hated her as usual. I personally think she was far funnier in Postcards than Prada.

In fact, if Kathy Bates had not been in the running I think I'd have given the Oscar to Streep for that. Although Anjelica Huston was pretty fantastic too in The Grifters. The sad thing is if today's sorry standards of barrel-bottom-scraping had been applied to that line-up then, the winner would've been, without a doubt, Julia Roberts in the wretched romcom Pretty Woman.

by Anonymousreply 5103/03/2013

Pauline Kael got a lot of mileage out of disliking Meryl Streep. So much so that people often remember that more than Pauline Kael. Hepburn trashing Streep and Glenn Close from the grave seemed so ... petty. It made me dislike her for authorizing such a thing before she croaked.

by Anonymousreply 5203/03/2013

PS, I agree about Postcards from the Edge. It may end up being remembered as one of her great performances.

by Anonymousreply 5303/03/2013

Meryl Streep playing Leilah in the filmed version of Uncommon Women and Others.

by Anonymousreply 5403/03/2013

Which was MY role in the original stage production!!!

by Anonymousreply 5503/03/2013

I am hoping that Streep announces a bunch of new interesting work. She tends to group her projects and work a bunch, and then take off time. She has not really worked since last Summer.

by Anonymousreply 5603/03/2013

Uh, r56? She shot 'August: Osage County' last FALL, into December. What are you talking about?

Also, Meryl usually does one film per year, sometimes two. Your idea she does a 'bundle of them' and then takes time off is completely... wrong.

r51: I thought the same thing recently. If Misery and Pretty Woman had come out last year, Kathy Bates would have stood no chance of winning that Oscar. They'd have thrown it at Julia.

Anybody claiming the Oscars 'have always been like this' doesn't know what they're talking about. They only need to compare 1990 with today, or indeed when Debra Winger was nominated (and lost) at the height of her fame, c. 1982. NO WAY would Winger or Roberts have lost had they been nominated this year, because fame trumps substance every single time now.

Things HAVE changed, but not for the better.

by Anonymousreply 5703/03/2013

And Julia Roberts was even bigger in 1990 than what JLaw is today.

by Anonymousreply 5803/03/2013

I love her in The Hours. A tough role and she pulled it off; never shirking the callousness but still making her recognizable, interesting and someone you could genuinely care about.

by Anonymousreply 5903/03/2013

Would it shock you to know that I have quite the healthy libido? Wouldn't you shag someone famous and hot for the thrill of it? It's what you are seeing captured on camera. Real love.

by Anonymousreply 6003/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.