Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In Canada Just Holding A Gun Gets You THREE YEARS in jail Minimum!

Alone in a private home, Leroy Smickle was holding a loaded handgun that apparently didn’t belong to him, and trying to take a photo of himself on a laptop.

Now he is facing a three year jail sentence. Under Canada Law he gets three years MINIMUM for just holding a gun.

The Attorney General of Canada.

“Whether firearms are used as tools of intimidation or status, they present ‘the ultimate threat of death to those in [their] presence.’ When loaded, ‘death and serious injury are literally at hand, only an impulse and trigger-pull away,’” argues the factum from Ontario’s attorney general.

“The illicit nature and deadly risk inherent in a charge of possession of a loaded prohibited firearm justifies the three-year mandatory minimum sentence in all but the most minor and exceptional of cases.”

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013

We should adopt similar laws in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Yes, the US should. But no way is this really enforced in Canada. This is some unusual case.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

R2 he has already been convicted.

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

Do you really think everyone that holds a gun in Canada is convicted? I do not.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

Actually, a guy knew in hIgh school went to jail for 10 months for brandishing a fake gun at school, telling people it was real. He never fired it. Just showed it to people and kept it in his locker. It was a toy.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

Brandishing it is one thing, holding a gun is something else. The title of this thread says "holding a gun" - I think there are all sorts of Hell's Angels, petty criminals, drug dealers that are holding guns right now and not getting charged for it.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

What are the odds of the police breaking in the door with a warrant while Krusty is holding a gun ?

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

Leroy Smickle.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

Nothing

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

We don't mess around up here, eh?

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

That's another issue, this is guns.

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

[quote] I think there are all sorts of Hell's Angels, petty criminals, drug dealers that are holding guns right now and not getting charged for it.

If they are caught by the police holding a gun, then they face three years in prison.

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

Good for Canada.

In spite of having many things in common, the US and Canada have very different political environments. This type of law would not be politically feasible in the US, there are far too many guns in the US to allow for practical enforcement, and the Second Amendment adds legal barriers.

As a US citizen, I strongly object to people who aren't citizens or permanent residents trying to influence our laws (except when our laws effect others). I don't think I have a right to tell Canada what they should do with their gun laws. That's up to Canadians to decide.

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

The majority of America's population would be in prison. America has too many cultures with different values to do something like this.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

I wish the US had a similar law.

More to the point, though, what kind of idiot takes a picture of himself with a loaded gun in the first place? I mean, why does it matter if it's loaded unless he means to kill someone?

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

There is more to this case than meets the eye. Read the comment about 5-6 down.

He should never have been charged with that offence and the Crown knew it. (The commenter is wrong in that the Crown attorney would set the charge, not the defense attorney.)

CAs do this all the time if they disagree with the laws. They stick an unusual charge that is not technically wrong, but not appropriate to the specific case. They know the local judges will either void the law by a not guilty finding, or give someone serious time by following sentencing guidelines for that particular charge.

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

Yes, there is more to this case than meets the eye. The GUN was illegal - i.e. unregistered or illegal to possess.

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

Canada also has no estate tax!

by Anonymousreply 1902/11/2013

That's utter BULLSHIT, lots of Canadians have guns, mostly rifles for hunting but still quite lethal and quite legal.

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

They are basically Americans with frozen brains.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2013

Most CanaDian faces deserve to be viciously Slapped!

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2013

If you get caught with an unregistered gun in NYC, it's a mandatory 2 yr sentence

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.