Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sinead O'Connor Congratulates Pope Benedict on His 'Greatest Achievement': Retiring

Sinead O'Connor, who famously ripped a portrait of Pope John Paul II to pieces on SNL in 1992 while saying "fight the real enemy," said this today about Pope Benedict XVI's retirement:

I would like to congratulate Pope Benedict on his wise decision to retire before the very worst of what has been going on is discovered. I appreciate his alluding to some of it in his statement and assure him The Most High forgives those who can faithfully say they did wrong.

The church had been brought into dreadful disrepute by lies and blasphemies against The Holy Spirit. Benedict’s greatest achievement is this act of retiring. There is a chance now for the church to be re-built and made fit to house The Holy Spirit.

by Anonymousreply 4202/12/2013

The Pope has AIDS. Haven't you noticed that camel hump growing on the back of his neck. Think of all the little boys in the world he's infected. There is a special place in hell for that nasty old queen. I hope he goes blind before he dies. God bless her.

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Go Sinead! Was she ever abused by the church?

And really, they need a new Pope with a more liberal and modern attitude

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

Not to forget, lack of Nazi affiliation would be a big improvement.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

[quote]Go Sinead! Was she ever abused by the church?

She was a woman growing up in Ireland. By this very definition she was abused by the Church.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

Yes, r3. She was put in one of those laundries in Ireland where they did horrific things to youth.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

It took a while but history proved her right.

She was surprised by the backlash as she said she had thought the story of the abuse and the cover ups were common knowledge but it wasn't yet in the US.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

Sinead was put in those Magadalene Laundries for "wayward girls" which was a very abusive, cruel environment so yes, yes she was.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

Foight the real enemy!

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

Yep.

Chickens coming home to roost.

This guy was the offical in the church in charge of the child abuse scandals, and with this recent coverage of his role in the investigations of those child abuse allegations, he had to leave before to reduce the liability.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

Sinead is naive if she thinks that the Church will change drastically thanks to a new Pope being replaced. It will be business as usual (= hatemongering against gays and heretics while doing whatever they please even if it's what they call a sin).

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

[quote] There is a chance now for the church to be re-built and made fit to house The Holy Spirit.

That's never going to happen. The Catholic church could cure every person who cancer and I would still not forgive them for the Magdalene Laundries - (which only ended in 1996 because most Irish people owned their own washing machines - it would still be going on) and the child sex abuse in America

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

And "Nothing Compares 2 U" is one of the most beautiful, moving singles of the last 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

You're welcome, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

This is why I love DL. I had not heard of the Magdalene Laundries. After reading about the abuses on wiki and the web, no wonder poor Sinead is and was angry.

And yes, Nothing Compares 2 U is a beautiful and haunting song.

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

r17, watch this film and get back to us:

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

SINEAD WAS RIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

Sinead was sent for rehabilitation in a building that was FORMERLY a Magdalene Laundry. It did not operate as a Magdalene Laundry when she was there. She also said this about her experience:

"I wouldn’t class myself as being abused while I was there. I came in at the tail end of it."

by Anonymousreply 2102/11/2013

Whether or not she was abused is a moot point.

She had a valid reason to call the church out and she was one of the first high-profile celebrities to do so. Her career paid the price for it.

She is and always has been one fierce yet fragile woman.

by Anonymousreply 2202/11/2013

Watch the HBO documentary "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God," and get an understanding why Ratzinger is stepping down now. The tapioca is about to hit the air conditioner.

The documentary is on now and next airs on February 15 at 6:30pm.

Horrifying, and the cover-up goes all the way to the top, including John Paul II and Benedict. Sure, hire a Black guy now and let him be the fall guy as the Vatican is sued by a worldwide class action suit.

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

Because she is correct, r24?

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

Truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

r26, isn't there a Planned Parenthood you need to go picket?

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

Time for a U.S. comeback for siinead. She still sounds good.

Hopefully people will see she was 20 years ahead of her time

This is the first time in 600 YEARS that a pope has resigned.

And yes, Sinead gets part of the credit.

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

Didn't Patti LuPone give him some shit to?

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

r26 is referring to the Pope, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

She was abused by her mother who was mentally Ill. (It runs in the family.)

The systematic abuse of women in Ireland, especially those with mental illness, is a very real factor in her life. The Church sure as shit didn't help women who had any kind of mental illness. They didnt' help women who were raped or molested. They didn't help women who got pregnant out of wedlock. They didn't help women- period.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

When she tore up the head abuser's photo on SNL, I was on my feet cheering and clapping. I would love Sinead for that alone even if she never did anything else.

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

[quote] The systematic abuse of women in Ireland, especially those with mental illness, is a very real factor in her life. The Church sure as shit didn't help women who had any kind of mental illness. They didn't' help women who were raped or molested. They didn't help women who got pregnant out of wedlock.

That's just your opinion. The Catholic Church's opinion up until 1996 was (and still is) basically that kidnapping and forcing women into slavery actually helped these women. The only reason they closed the laundries is because - even with slaves - it wasn't profitable anymore. They'd still be open if so many people didn't buy washing machines in the last 30 yrs. A lot of people still don't have inside toilets in Ireland (they have outhouses), but they have washing machines

And they recently sort of apologized for the kidnapping, slavery and civil rights violations. It was wonderful sort of "sorry you felt offended" things

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

Even if you hate her music, politics or appearance, there can be no denial (based in fact) that she was one of the first voices to speak out about this, and did so at significant personal cost and professional peril.

For that alone, she would have my respect.

The fact that she's one of the most magnificent singers of the last 50 years, and can sing rings around most of the tuneless tarts that pass for pop stars these days, is simply icing on the cake. Her new album...and the last five before it...prove her talent never took leave of her.

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2013

Her latest album is incredible. It's a total throwback to her first three albums. It received rave reviews. Heard her perform -- perfection. She is not a studio artist.

by Anonymousreply 3602/12/2013

Will the Church be able to survive a massive sex abuse scandal?

by Anonymousreply 3702/12/2013

[quote]She got so much shit

I prefer the term "the difficult brown."

by Anonymousreply 3802/12/2013

Thanks for posting the film link R18. I'd never heard of this horrid treatment of young women in Ireland before. My grandmother grew up in a Catholic orphanage in the US during the depression and has told me horror stories about it, so nothing surprises me when it comes to these evil fucks

by Anonymousreply 3902/12/2013

The Lion and the Cobra is one amazing album. Every sing track is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 4002/12/2013

She had a great voice. She never really wanted to be a pop singer though, that just happened accidentally. She considers herself a protest singer. So it's no surprising her pop fame slipped through her fingers so quickly, despite her wonderful talent.

by Anonymousreply 4102/12/2013

R41 I have a feeling she is totally fine with her pop stardom slipping through her fingers. In a way, she really played it right. She made a ton of money off her early recordings and now is in the position to do whatever she please.

by Anonymousreply 4202/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.