Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think Australia is an amazing country?

To have produced a talent like Heath Ledger. There's something about the country. Not every country can produce such wildly talented person.

What do you think it Australia did to make such a great talent? Do you think it was the weather, the education system, how his family was...?

Love to hear your opinions.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 34307/30/2013

I've lived in Australia, OP.

Sorry to disappoint you, but not everyone who is Australian gets really messy and kills himself with a drug overdoes.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 202/11/2013

There is one crazy Heath L troll on DL.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 302/11/2013

The Heath Ledger chicken lays an egg every day. Here it is.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 502/11/2013

R4: I think Heath was Miss West Virginia and her talent was tap.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 602/11/2013

I love Australia, it's a beautiful country and I've always found Aussies to be very nice. My affection for it has nothing to do with Heath Ledger however.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 702/11/2013

A colleague moved there recently for a job. And the Australian right wing wackos are "worse" than the USA wackos - think Crocodile Dundee w/Rush LImbaugh - Ron Paul attitude

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 802/11/2013

Victoria and South Australia are superior to the USA. Queensland and Western Australia are inferior. New South Wales is just differnt.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 902/11/2013

Tazzy is like something New Zealand shit out.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1002/11/2013

R9, based on what criteria?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1102/11/2013

Yes. Australia brought us Kylie Minogue:

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1202/11/2013

I know this is a Heath Ledger Troll thread, but the fact that such a small country has produced so many talented actors, and maintains a strong and globally influential economy in spite of being isolated geographically is impressive.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1302/11/2013

I honestly don't know what's so great about it. A lot of the architecture is really ugly and plain and as R8 said, there are a lot of homophobes there that are worse than in the US. The gay rights movement is very progressive in the US, whereas in Australia gay rights are basically not important to the government.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1402/11/2013

I wish there was a feature on datalounge to hide threads, so I could hide every thread op makes about ledger !!! Get a life troll

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1502/11/2013

Australia has discrimination protections for gays and some states offer domestic partnerships. There is a lot of opposition to gay marriage in parliament because neither of the two major parties have the balls to fight for it. But Australia is in no way more homophobic than the US. Australia will probably legalize gay marriage before all 50 states do.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1602/11/2013

Honestly Australia has produced better actors than Heath Ledger.

Like Jacki Weaver, Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Pearce, Toni Collette. All of them hugely talented. Heath was pretty lame in that Brokeback Mountain movie, which was a lame movie anyway IMHO.

Agree with Australia being very conservative and very backwards. Culturally, technically and environmentally. If you live there you have to get numb, otherwise the "No Worries" attitude of aussies drives you up the wall.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1702/11/2013

[quote]Australia will probably legalize gay marriage before all 50 states do.

You're delusional if you believe that.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1802/11/2013

I didn't like Heath Ledger when he played "Joker".

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 1902/11/2013

He was one of the best drug addicts of all time. Congrats, Australia! He's dead but, oh, well, thems the breaks.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2002/11/2013

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2102/11/2013

But a Dingo ate my baby!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2202/11/2013

A picture of R21

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2302/12/2013

OP = IQ of 50.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2402/12/2013

Australia gave us the unforgettable Lana Cantrell, too! Remember her? Her gorilla arms never moved from her sides when she sang on the Ed Sullivan show.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2502/12/2013

Australia currently doesnt have problem with unemployment. Our banks are some of the strongest in the world and well regulated. So overall Australia is a happy country compared to countries suffering from weak economy. Isnt that amazing?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2602/12/2013

[quote]Agree with Australia being very conservative and very backwards.

Compared to the US, it's a liberal paradise. Or did you confuse Australia with Austria? Either way, you are entirely wrong.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2702/12/2013

Doesn't compare with Lafayette, California. Now that's paradise.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2802/12/2013

Austria is on a different continent and they speak a different language there.

Culturally Austria is centuries more advanced. Technically, environmentally and socially Austria is decades ahead of Australia.

Only an Aussie would think those two countries could be mixed up.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 2902/12/2013

Sydney is nice. Lousy country otherwise. Let's move on.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3002/13/2013

I've been spending time in Aurtralia for over ten years. I would remain there if I could convince my family to follow me. I lover everything about the country except for the excessive drinking. I'm always posting about going to Hobart. I love the all the big beautiful cities but I an in-love with Tasmania. I love Hobart, but all of Tasmania makes me happy.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3102/13/2013

As someone who's lived in Australia much of his life, I don't think it's particularly amazing because it birthed Heath. Perth, his home town, is nice and chock-full of mining money, but I found it kind of dull. If the halfwit posters in this thread bleating about how conservative/homophobic it is really think some right wing talking heads speak for a whole nation, well, I guess we can just assume all Americans share the views of Sarah Palin, right? Australia is racist but no more so than any other nation. As for homophobia, of course there are throwbacks scattered around the place but mostly Australia is a great place for us homosexualists.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3202/13/2013

OP, define "amazing". Although I have never been there I get the impression that Australians would be nice enough generally although having more than their share of rough around the edges types, including their womenfolk. There are 3 things I would like to do there if I would go: see the Sydney Opera House, take the train from Sydney or Melbourne across the Nullarbor Plain to Perth and meet some Aborigines who still speak their own languages and can live off the land as their ancestors did plus explain what "walkabouts" are. I also would like someone to explain the deal with Tasmanian aborigines, I had read that the last Tasmanian of unmixed ancestry died in the late 19th century and that all that there are of Tasmanian aborigines today are some mixed ancestry descendants of British convicts and their Tasmanian women and that none are more than 1/16th Tasmanian aboriginal and that many are simply "pretend" aborigines.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3302/13/2013

'Walkabouts' are whitefella word for trips taken for ceremonial business, to find wives, trade, whatever reason really. Full-blood Tasmanian Aborigines were wiped out but Australia has been mixing bloods since the earliest days of settlement, so plenty of descendants remain. If you want to meet Aboriginal people who still live traditionally, go to Central Australia. Their communities are often beset by social problems and poverty, but their kinship structures, language, and mythology are still very much lived.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3402/13/2013

I've lived in both countries and I can assure you Americans are far more conservative. Australia has a female prime minister who happens to be athiest and who lives "in sin" with her boyfriend. And although gay marriage is still being debated, gay couples have all the same legal rights as hetero couples. Evolution is taught in ALL schools including religious ones. Although Australia has some right wing nuts they have never had the kind of support the tea party has had. Gun laws are extremely tight which means Australia has one of the lowest incidence of murder in the world. Australia also has free health care. And Although Australia has a largely Judeo-christian population, extreme fundies are far and few between and hold very little political power. In my experience people are largely apathetic when it comes to religion.

Where Australia falls down is in it's treatment of Indigenous people and people seeking asylum. Rednecks aren't too crazy about either of these groups and can be quite vocal about it.

Australia was a surprise to me when I first arrived. I thought it was all sunshine with dumb larrikans wandering aimlessly around, but people are often well educated, well travelled and more wordly than most of the hicks living in the bible belt, which means they're generally less conservative.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3502/13/2013

I read online somewhere that Islam is becoming a popular religion among some urban Aborigines who adopt it for a variety of reasons, among them are alienation from Christianity as the religion of the invader peoples from Europe, an easy way to piss off said white people and perhaps a feeling of rootlessness and cultural void that Islam partially fills. Are there shops in Sydney and Melbourne where someone can buy boomerangs and didjeridoos?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3602/13/2013

Is this a walkabout?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3702/13/2013

r35, do you think the conservatism of Americans could be partially explained by the puritanical heritage in the US? The colonial origins of either country, although having the same "mother" are about as different as could have been. Many of the 13 American colonies were founded by religious motivation if not economic. By contrast Australia in its earlier years of colonial rule was pretty much England's Siberia wouldn't you say? None of the colonies and penal camps, etc. in Australia were of a religious nature and most of the missionaries who did go tried to more or less look after the hapless Aborigines who were being engulfed with white people and sheep. Most of the New England states plus Pennsylvania and Maryland were all founded with religion figuring prominently in their foundation. England did use the 13 American colonies as a dumping ground for criminals and convicts as many indentured servants were and many of them ended up in Virginia and other parts of the South whose descendants today help make up a good portion of the Bible Belt. By contrast Australia after 1788 became the replacement convict dumping ground after the United States got their independence and the British couldn't freely ship their convicts there.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 3802/13/2013

Australia is far more regulated than the US, and this has its origins in Australia's authoritarian beginnings. America was founded by free traders and people seeking freedom from persecution for their religious beliefs. The irony is that Australia started out as a prison, full of rapists, murderers and thieves and has become one of the lest violent countries on earth (not one civil war, and no revolutions) while America is soaked in blood.

Extremism of any sort doesn't get much traction in Australia. Democrats would be considered conservative, and Republicans are the redneck National Party who represent farmers and rural areas where everyone is white or oppressed by whites (i.e. aborigines). The leader of the opposition is a tool, and will be Prime Minister by the end of the year. He's a Catholic reactionary, but he won't get far if he tries to impose his personal beliefs on the rest of Australians, who already don't like him (they like Julia Gillard even less, although she's a far better leader).

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4002/13/2013

R35 hit it on the head. Other amazing things include, accessable tertiary education to world leading universities (either free or subsidied) so you don't come out with a crippling student loan. Unionised labour force in many areas (especially retail, factory work and trades) and government regulated minimum wages with regulated overtime, holidays, sick days. It would be illegal to earn $6 an hour doing ANY job in Australia. If employers don't follow the government rules there are various State and Federal bodies that will and do investigate and fine employers and compensate employees. Ssocial security benefits for the sick, unemployed, students and elderly . A new National disability insurance scheme to provide further support for those who need it most. Of course it's not all perfect - but the point is that the opportunities to access world class healthcare, education training and guaranteed minimum wages means if you have the desire, you can go a long way - no matter what your background.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4102/13/2013

The difference between the US and Australia isn't their love for their country and their isolated views (of themselves and the rest of the world) It's also not the quality of education. (both not very good)

The main difference is that the US is ambitious, curious and everything new is being welcomed with open arms. In Australia every effort to move ahead in the cultural, environmental and technical sector is being crashed by their no-worries and careless attitude.

Apart from doing their jobs from 9-5, drinking beer (half of the population is in danger to become alcoholics)and watching television is the typical Aussies favourite part-time. Since there are only 5 or 7 channels broadcasting all over Australia, most people are badly informed about what's going on in the rest of the world.

This is fine with the government because they like to keep their people stupid and uninformed, because nobody in Australia likes inconvenient truths.... it's after all the best country in the world.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4202/13/2013

'no matter what background'

of course this does not count for Aboriginal people, because still in 1967 they were not considered as human beings, but part of the flora and fauna.

Only 5 years ago Australia decided to apologize for their bad treatment of Aboriginal people.

Even migrants are considered as second class citizens, only good enough to be a garbage collector, servant or cheap labour.

Aussies are deeply racist people.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4302/13/2013

We don't have internet or cable TV in Australia r41 that's why most of us are deeply uninformed about the rest of the world.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4402/13/2013

OOPs.above post was an answer to r 42.

And I still can't get internet.

I'll have to wait for the morning paper to see what happened to Dorner.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4502/13/2013

I totally agree with you r42.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4602/13/2013

Australia has great beaches, some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I found it a gorgeous country inland too, really breathtaking.

The drinking and laid back attitude were enjoyable and relaxing. I didn't run into a lot of homophobes and racists but I was only there for a few weeks.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4702/13/2013

One quarter of Australia's population was born overseas (over 260 nationalities at the last Census count). Australia's growth rate is two overseas migrants for each natural birth. Higher than the US on both counts.

Australia is also a young country - it was Federated in 1901. Most liberal Australians agree that the apology should have happened a lot earlier and fought to make it happen. The 60's don't stand out as a great time in US civil rights, if my second rate (free) education serves me correctly.

Oh, and our garbage collectors earn a minimum of $642 per week. Of course this doesn't include public holiday rates, overtime, 4 weeks holidays, 10 days paid sick leave, meal allowances and mandatory employer superannuation contributions. Casual rates are of course higher to compensate for the uncertainty of not having a full time job.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4802/13/2013

[quote]Even migrants are considered as second class citizens, only good enough to be a garbage collector, servant or cheap labour.

What qualifies you to say this crap? I'm Australian, working in a small company - you know one of those lazy Australians working 60 hours a week. My systems manager is a Moslem Jordanian, my immediate boss is Italian. Most co-workers are professionals, coming from mainland China, Honk Kong, Vietnam, Canada, the Philippines, Russia, England, etc.

This is pretty typical, though of course some immigrants DO have low skilled jobs too.

[quote]Aussies are deeply racist people.

Compared to who? We have no KKK, next to no militant neo-nazis, significant anti-discrimination legislation, next to no ethic/racial violence ... in recent times at least.

I'm white but have friends from many different ethnic and racial origins. This is NOT unusual.

We do have our fair share of racists and are far from perfect (current treatment of boat people leaves a lot to be desired), but are probably no worse than most other countries.

I see much more racism on the Datalounge than in day to day real life!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 4902/13/2013

There is the most extraordinary amount of bullshit and blatant lies being posted in this thread. Looking at you R42 et al.

Anyway - Australian bashing on DL is nothing new. It's been happening for years. No other country is more bashed at DL except for the Middle Eastern countries. It's always from people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, have never been here and never will - thankfully.

The bitterness in this thread shrieks nasty old queens who have been turned down by several hot Aussie boys over the years and now have an axe to grind.

Hell, most of you couldn't even afford to visit us because your dollar is worth nothing (You don’t even own your own money! ) and lots of you don't even have jobs because your economy is in the shitter with no prospects of getting better – we are all watching it collapse. The fucking irony!

Then there are all the horrific social issues you have in your own country - out of control gun laws and consequent mass violence, wars based on lies, corrupt political system and lobbyists, poor education system, corrupt banking system, vile soulless corporations who rape and pillage the developing world for profit, rabid hateful Christians, no health care system, homeless problems, and unemployment to name just a few and let's not even talk about your own deeply endemic racism and homophobia. Half your country hates the other half. And let’s never forget your abysmal treatment of Native Indians etc., etc., and etc…

Face it - the US is imploding and that’s exactly what you deserve. But you , have fun with bashing Australia ya'll...

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5002/13/2013

I posted this using two Fosters beer cans and a very long piece of twine.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5102/13/2013

The problem is that some of the Americans who've posted here - unlike R35 who does know what s/he is talking about - have probably based their uninformed opinions mostly on the colourful characters in films like Crocodile Dundee, Priscilla and Muriel's Wedding.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5202/13/2013

I love immigrants r43. Especially garbage collectors and servants.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5302/13/2013

I don't know what is better Pauline Hanson's right wing anti racial platform party or the KKK

"next to no ethic/racial violence" Yeah right tell that to all the Indian students who were harassed or murdered last year in Melbourne or to the Aboriginal Male who died like a dog in the back of a police van.

Hot Aussie boys are very hard to find, most of them have very bad manners, mostly do talk about themselves especially when they are drunk, which is most of the time anyway.

Australia loves - War based on lies - as a matter of fact they were more than happy to join in on it.

BTW - I live in Australia

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5402/13/2013

I've been to Australia many times over the last 30-odd years.

If not for friends of mine that moved there years ago, I would gladly never go back.

The carefree attitudes so easily applied to Australians would be better classed as simple minded. Get into the suburbs and you'll find world class rednecks. Horribly horribly racist small minds with a deluded narcissistic twist. Similar to here in the USA, but I always found the aussies to be slightly worse. Some are fiercely proud of their convict roots, others are in denial that ever happened.

The stolen generation is one of the worst things I've ever studied. Imo, as bad if not worse than the holocaust. It's a shame so many people (was it a majority?) still opposed the formal apology some 40 years later. If only the Aboriginals were as vocal as other oppressed groups have been...

That said, obviously this doesn't apply to every Australian. I have met some real sweethearts too. Just not enough to justify the place. It's my least favourite place to go. And I've been to Cuba.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5502/13/2013

Australia is wonderful.

But global warming will make it uninhabitable in 20 or 30 years. Sad but true.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5602/13/2013

Silly comment R56.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5702/13/2013

Deirde Chambers!

Look, it's Deidre Chambers, what a coincidence!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5802/13/2013

Australia is the only country most USAers prefer to their own. That of course makes Datalounge deeply suspicious, since anything which is attractive to the average American is by definition morally compromised.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 5902/13/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6002/13/2013

R54 are you Australian?

Pauline Hansen is so last century. Even when she had support it was only from a tiny rednecked disaffected minority. As far as I know she was not into killing ethnic minorities and seemed to be pro indigenous AUstralians. Most people thought she was a joke.

Most violence in modern Australia does not have a racial root cause, but sure there is some. None of it is organised unless you count the Cronulla

What has the war on terror got to do with whether we're racists or not? The decision to join the coalition of the willing was made by politicians. 2/3 of the population were against the war. Even more now.

Yes, of course Australia has racists. My point was that most of us are not seriously racist. I see much more racism here than in real life.

Can't believe some of the anti-moslem stuff I see on the datalounge.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6102/13/2013

R60, Australia consitently ranks in the top ten most livable counties in the world - alongside other godforsaken countries such as Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and Canada. One day, when the US decides to serve the interests of its people, instead of private corporations, you'll understand why migrants are flocking the enter the country. At the rate the US is going, you'll be begging to join the Turks and the Greeks - who are obviously much brighter than you are.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6202/13/2013

No. Australia looks pretty boring, actually. And I didn't like his performance as 'Joker' - not my cup of tea.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6302/13/2013

What a strange post. Yes Australia is an interesting country- but because it produced a talented (one particular) actor? Almost any land in the world can and does produce talented individuals in almost any field, which really says nothing about that country but more about humans in general.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6402/13/2013

"godforsaken countries like Sweden, Denmark or Switzerland"

Typical Aussie talk!

All these countries are culturally 10 times richer than any area of Australia, except remote Aboriginal areas. Any European country is 20 - 30 years ahead in most areas compared to Australia.

Denmark's island Samso is completely carbon footprint free. Australia has the highest carbon emission per capita of all industrialized countries.

Melbourne, really, just 20 inner city streets and along the Yarra are OK, the rest is ultra boring typical mind numbing suburbia. Australia has urban planning ideas that date back to the 1970s.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6502/13/2013

Yes r60, and most of those dirt poor Greeks are from Chicago.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6602/13/2013

R61 Pauline Hanson is not last century, as a matter of fact Tony Abbott,aided her One Nation Party financially. She was convicted of fraud in 2003 and in 2004 lead an election campaign. In 2011 she is still trying to return to politics with the help of Abbott.

Go to any social gathering and you will find groups of Aussie men standing together, groups of Aussie women standing together and migrants (guys and girls) standing together. Racism and machismo is very much alive in Australia

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6702/13/2013

Heath Ledger comes from the same town as the greatest Australian actor of all time - Judy Davis. Both are from Perth, an isolated place that compels the more introspective to become great artists.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6802/13/2013

R57, not a silly comment at all. Very respected scientists have said this. Global warming will fuck up life in many areas of the globe.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 6902/13/2013

R65 I believe R62 was being ironic when he mentioned those other "God forsaken" countries (but you may be one of those Americans that doesn't get irony.)

Australia isn't a cultural wasteland. In terms of European culture obviously we only go back 200 years but we're doing ok given that small time period and our small populatiin, and of course there is our Aboriginal culture which goes back 30,000 years. In recent decades our culture has been enhanced by the cultures of immigrants from many European and non-eurooean cultures.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7002/13/2013

R65 I think r62 was responding to r60 's use of the word 'godforsaken'.

And no it's not 'Aussie' talk, it's the EIU, Mercer and Monocle Livability Surveys.

Last time I checked the US didn't have a national carbon tax, hadn't ratified the Kyoto Protocol and doesn't have a Federally subsided solar panels scheme where 3% of the population now has solar systems on their roofs. Denmark it ain't, but it's a step in the right direction.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7102/13/2013

R67 "so last century" was just a figure of speech but nevermind. PH is history. No one takes her seriously and hardly anyone dud in the past. She was like an unpolushed. Even stupider version of Sarah Palin. She us not Australia's answer to the Kkk.

As for your social gathering point: I'm sure this still happens but it has not been my experience in recent times.

There is plenty I could criticise Australia for, but this isn't the place to do it, where trolls drop in to state that Oz is the nastiest country on the face of the earth, based on nothing.

I hate jingoism and nationalism but Australia is amazing in many ways. It's mean spirited not to admitted it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7202/13/2013

Not any social gathering r67.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7302/13/2013

[quote]No other country is more bashed at DL except for the Middle Eastern countries.

Try the UK.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7402/13/2013

I always found Heath to be average at best. Australia has too many dangerous snakes, bugs and water creatures. I wouldn't step foot in the water over there.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7502/13/2013

Australia is a great place to live. As long as you're white.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7602/13/2013

r65, you are probably right about the retarded urban planning there; I saw a program on koalas and how they are being squeezed out of their habitat and have to coexist in suburban sprawl. Has no one heard of smart growth in Australia? Must it always be cut down the forest to make way for "progress" and more housing for deadheads and their brats?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7702/13/2013

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Out! Out! Out!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7802/13/2013

The most popular TV show in Australia is "Nothing to Declare", a reality show featuring border security.

Aussies like to laugh at all those Asians who try to sneek in food, and those non-whites being deported. It makes them feel good.

I am serious.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 7902/13/2013

R79, in Oz it actually has the much more dramatic name of "Border Security: Australia's Front Line".

The most popular TV show in Australia is X Factor.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8002/13/2013

I find Australia culturally bland. Australia is basically America without black people. I find it interesting both countries have similar roots but when you look at music as an example, one hasn't, to date, created a single original genre while the other came up with Jazz, the blues, rock, soul, r&b and hip-hop. There's no such thing as Australian music.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8102/13/2013

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8202/13/2013

Hello r81!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8402/13/2013

Aussie rednecks are a lot worse than American rednecks. It's a good thing that country has tighter gun control.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8502/13/2013

[quote]Australia is basically America without black people.

Amazing how americans cannot conceptualize anything beyond their borders without making a direct comparison. It's all about you, all the time.

And what is New Zealand then? And Jamaica - America without white people?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8602/13/2013

R81, so I'm guessing you know absolutely nothing about Indigenous Australians then?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8702/13/2013

But R87, indigenous Australians were not allowed to be part of the greater aussie community, and therefore, their culture is not seen as mainstream Australian culture, even today. This is unlike the US where "black" culture is an integral part of American pop culture.

Australia is basically like Alabama, but dumber.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8802/13/2013

They also have the right to legal abortions, free healthcare, free education, social security (with extra provisions for Indigenous communities), guaranteed minimum wages and are currently overhauling anti-discrimination laws to make them even tougher - as outlined by the Human Rights Commission. They also have immigration growth that outnumbers the natural birthrate by 2 to 1 - with the majority coming from Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 8902/13/2013

How embarrassing for you r83, you clearly didn't watch the show or understand the context.

It's shows like Dumb, Drunk and Racist (screened on our National Broadcasting Station) that contribute to the political debate of this country, and now we are debating further changes to anti-discrimination legislation. See the pattern? A lone gunman murders 35 in Tasmania (the only state at the time to have lax gun laws at the time) and the States hand over their gun control powers to the Federal Government to legislate for uniform gun control. Journalists turn the mirror on some unflattering sections of Australian society and we legislate for tougher anti-discimination laws.

Here's another example broadcast on the Government station, the same kinds of Governments who like to keep us stupid and uninformed (r42 looking at you). This is the highest rating weekly political discussion program in the country.

Take particular note of our openly gay, Asian, Finance Minister at 1.27. Her statements reflect the 60% of Australians who are in favour of gay marriage (80% of young Australians) and her comment about her family made national headlines and a lot of fence sitters had a new perspective on the issue.

Where will the US be in 10 years time?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9002/13/2013

Does anyone watch The Straits on Hulu? I want the brothers to take turns on me.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9102/13/2013

Last night I read about the rampant savage attacks that Australian youth perpetrate in Sydney train stations against innocent people. They brutally beat and kick people to death or to unconsciousness. It looks like Mad Max was art imitating life.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9202/13/2013

They are loaded with Shanty Irish.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9302/13/2013

[quote]I find Australia culturally bland.

Have you ever lived in Australia? Do you know anything about Australian literature, music, art, etc.? Do you even read literature, go to concerts, watch plays of any kind?

Your comment is pretty meaningless without knowing the context.

[quote]Australia is basically America without black people.

Such an ignorant comment. We have few African Americans (or Americans of any type). We do have our own Indigenous Australians and many migrants from the sub-continent, Asia, the Middle East and now Africa. Are all of these people "white" in your opinion?

27% of the population were born overseas from many, many different countries,

[b]I find it interesting both countries have similar roots but when you look at music as an example, one hasn't, to date, created a single original genre while the other came up with Jazz, the blues, rock, soul, r&b and hip-hop. There's no such thing as Australian music.

Obviously we don't have "similar roots". We don't have your evil slavery past, hence we have few citizens of African descent until approx. the last 10 years when we started to accept Sudanese and other refugees from Africa in significant numbers.

We have many highly esteemed music artists: Nick Cave, Joan Sutherland, Peter Sculthorpe, Goyte, Aboriginal artists like Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, to name only a few. We do very well for such a small population.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9402/13/2013

In NSW, OFarrell is making sure that more people can buy guns and and shoot them in more NP than ever before.

Yes there are some brave outspoken journos and politicians in this country, but the majority of people don't like criticism of everything Aussie. It is not encouraged and when you do so you are in serious trouble. Wilkie faced heavy criticism and death threats during the Iraq - weapons of mass destruction - controversy. Abbott, his main opponent is the opposition leader now and 45 % of Aussies would vote for him if the next election would be today. Whistle-blowing is not encouraged in this country!

I agree with R81 that Aboriginal Australians never were allowed to contribute to the musical landscape as much as African Americans did and still do. R&B, Soul, Blues and Jazz are marginal in this country. It has gotten a bit better in the last years. Frank Ocean is very big on TripleJ, so Aussies are catching up on some great groovy music.

Most innovations and cultural things are happening decades later in Australia. The reason for that is that Aussies like to constantly pat themselves on the back and praise their country as one of the best. One Professor (a very smart guy regarding everything climate change and environment) I had a long chat with some time ago told me that Aussies are very insecure people deep down. They know they are behind and backwards but would never ever admit it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9502/13/2013

[quote]Last night I read about the rampant savage attacks that Australian youth perpetrate in Sydney train stations against innocent people. They brutally beat and kick people to death or to unconsciousness. It looks like Mad Max was art imitating life.

So how often does this happen? Once every 10 years?

Speaking as one who travels on Sydney trains, this is not a common occurrence (thankfully). We're a city of 4 million. People do get bashed and murdered, gangs exist, some people are racists, some are homophobes and sexist - but none of this is particularly worse than anywhere else and a lot better than in most places.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9602/13/2013

You cant be serious if you point your finger to other nations regarding their racist past if in the 70's black Aboriginal children were still taken away from their mothers because white Australia didn't see them as fit mothers.

BTW have you ever lived outside Australia?

I agree Australia is by far not as culturally rich as most European or Asian countries. Even the US has more to offer in that regard.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9702/13/2013

[quote]So how often does this happen?

According to this recent news broadcast, 3 assaults at rail stations every day:

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9802/13/2013

[quote]In NSW, OFarrell is making sure that more people can buy guns and and shoot them in more NP than ever before.

I don't think you could shoot in national parks before, could you ? Not being able to shoot in national parks is a totally foreign concept to most nations, so I don't know why you bothered to mention this, R95. I hate this nSW development but this is hardly a great argument for the "Australia is a shit hole/cultural wasteland/stupid/insular/etc." case.

[quote]Yes there are some brave outspoken journos and politicians in this country, but the majority of people don't like criticism of everything Aussie. It is not encouraged and when you do so you are in serious trouble. Wilkie faced heavy criticism and death threats during the Iraq - weapons of mass destruction - controversy.

Wilkie had a lot of support too. 2/3 of the poulation did not want anything to do with Iraq. Don't agree that we are not able to express diverse opinions here. We happen to have 2 of the worst examples of "lowest common denominator" politicians at the moment though. Both appeal to the nastiest basic instincts of people.

[quote]Abbott, his main opponent is the opposition leader now and 45 % of Aussies would vote for him if the next election would be today. Whistle-blowing is not encouraged in this country!

They would not vote for him - they would vote for his party. TA is hated almost as much as Julia Gilliard.

You are right about one thing: some Australians are insecure. Sort of like a Russell Crowe with his chip on his shoulder. Despite Australia's many assets, some Australians are insecure. They brag that we're the best nation on earth, but inside are saying "please like us". It is pathetic. I hate, hate, hate all the Australian flags on Australia Day and the tendency of some Aussie backpackers to walk around with Australian t-shirts and so on. They're not impressing anyone, but don't get it. I know a lot of these Oz Day flag wavers are just celebrating the day, but some are redneck racists with deep insecurities.

[However, there is far less mindless jingoistic flag waving here than in the US.]

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 9902/14/2013

3 assaults or 3 people beaten to death every day?

Not surprised about the former, but I think the latter would be extremely rare on a Sydney train.

Do assaults not happen elsewhere?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10002/14/2013

[quote]You cant be serious if you point your finger to other nations regarding their racist past if in the 70's black Aboriginal children were still taken away from their mothers because white Australia didn't see them as fit mothers.

The slavery comment was an aside. I was pointing out that we don't have the same cultural heritage as the US.

Of course the Australian aborigines were treated cruelly in the past, and still are but in a different way. I have a little Aboriginal ancestry by the way.

[b]BTW have you ever lived outside Australia?

No - where have you lived? I've been overseas though many times to: the US, Britain, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Israel, various European countries and NZ. I've always been interested in other countries. their history, current affairs, literature, film, etc ... so I'm not a complete insular bogan! What about you?

[quote]I agree Australia is by far not as culturally rich as most European or Asian countries. Even the US has more to offer in that regard.

Give an example so I'm able to understand how inferior we are to most.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10102/14/2013

[quote]indigenous Australians were not allowed to be part of the greater aussie community, and therefore, their culture is not seen as mainstream Australian culture, even today. This is unlike the US where "black" culture is an integral part of American pop culture.

To be fair, Aborigines are not of black African descent so the correct comparison would be to Native Americans, who also happen to be marginal in American culture. But it is true the merging of African and European culture not only led to the birth of the Blues, Jazz and Soul in the United States, but also Salsa, Rumba and the carnival culture we see in Latin America. That is the difference with Australia.

[quote]Do you know anything about Australian literature, music, art, etc.? Do you even read literature, go to concerts, watch plays of any kind?

I know the music is not original or unique. Again, they haven't created any new genres or stlyes. They copy everything. They even have a "country music" scene which basically mimics the American genre. The literature isn't world famous, have the produced a Mark Twain, William Faulkner or Flannery O'Conor?

[quote] We do have our own Indigenous Australians and many migrants from the sub-continent, Asia, the Middle East and now Africa. Are all of these people "white" in your opinion?

How have these new immigrants impacted mainstream Australian culture? I'd really like to know.

[quote]27% of the population were born overseas from many, many different countries, ... Obviously we don't have "similar roots". We don't have your evil slavery past, hence we have few citizens of African descent until approx. the last 10 years when we started to accept Sudanese and other refugees from Africa in significant numbers.

What does "significant mean in Australian? You keep mentioning Sudanese refugees but a cursory web search shows the numbers are negligible:

[italic]Sudanese Australians are people of Sudanese ancestry or birth who live in Australia. In the 2006 census, there were [bold]19,049[/bold] Sudanese-born Australian residents, making up [bold]0.1%[/bold] of the population. Many of the Sudanese-born people recorded in the 2006 Australian census had arrived very recently: 77% since 2000.[3] Between 1996 and 2005, the largest increase in Australian people born overseas were Sudanese, at 28% per year. Other fast-growing overseas-born groups were people from Afghanistan (12% average increase per year) and Iraq (10%). Australian residents from sub-Saharan Africa increased on average by 6% per year over this period.[4] [bold]On the 2006 Census 17,848 residents in Australia claimed to have Sudanese ancestry.[/bold] People of Sudanese descent now live in almost every capital city in Australia, particularly Melbourne (5,911), Sydney (5,335) and Perth (1,993)[5][/italic]

0.1% is hardly "significant". Australia isn't that diverse and I keep hearing of racial animosity, especially with the Lebanese (who, technically, are white).

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10202/14/2013

[quote]We have many highly esteemed music artists: Nick Cave, Joan Sutherland, Peter Sculthorpe, Goyte, Aboriginal artists like Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, to name only a few.

Or Kylie Minogue, Keith Urban and Olivia Newton-John. Yes there are some well known artists but what, exactly, is Australian about their must?

Also, isn't Australia now engulfed by American culture nowadays? American TV dominates by far. My old Professor would call that being "culturally bankrupt" and he wouldn't be far off.

Look, Australia is a lovely country, but "amazing" would be pushing it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10302/14/2013

There is African immigration, but its mostly white:

[quote]Most African immigrants in Australia come from South Africa and are largely of Afrikaner and British descent. Other South Africans emigrate courtesy of skilled migration programs. Opportunities in Australia, as well as push factors such as rising crime, unemployment and complications arising from the Black Economic Empowerment policies in their home country, have prompted many South Africans to migrate. Earlier, Australia had taken in Zimbabwe migrants who left under following the end of white minority rule

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10402/14/2013

Keith Urban is from New Zealand. So is Russell Crowe, for the record. Keith's wife is pseudo Australian (born American, raised Australian). Just like Mel.

And I agree the music scene in Aus is shit at best. AC/DC is still the gold standard after 30 or 40 years, sadly.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10502/14/2013

Sorry 102 but Australian Aboriginals have been DNA tested and they are African black. They've always disputed it but science doesn't lie. Look at them, your eyes don't lie.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10602/14/2013

No there not, r106. And they don't have the same features. They're Austroloid which is more asiatic than anything else, as are malenisians who populate Islands like Fiji, Vanuatu or PNG. They are African black the way everyone else is, i.e., we all originated from Africa and all our ancestors left millions of years ago.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10702/14/2013

Several years ago, I remember reading a story in GQ about an American who got lost trekking trying to cross the Australian desert. Apparently the Australian media made a bigger than usual deal about the missing guy and turned it into a humongous production all because, the magazine claimed, the guy was American. The article went on to explain how Australians have always had an inferiority complex about America and Americans and how their television is dominated by American shows.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10802/14/2013

They do have an inferiority complex. And they all want to move here to make it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 10902/14/2013

This thread was supposed to be about HEATH! HEATH!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11002/14/2013

[quote]They do have an inferiority complex. And they all want to move here to make it.

[quote]The article went on to explain how Australians have always had an inferiority complex about America and Americans and how their television is dominated by American shows.

Same could be said about the UK. They used to have their own culture, but the past 15 years, they seemed obsessed with everything American and are always trying to copy Americans, down to American slang. It's embarassing really.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11102/14/2013

R14- Oz doesn't have the sheer numbers of extreme right wingers that the US has so you get fewer of them in Oz politics. Also, sexuality and gender are an integral part of federal anti-discrimination laws. Even though there's Govt opposition to gay marriage, the current Labor Govt has removed pretty much every discriminatory law regarding GLBTIs, so we're on par with heterosexual de facto spouses (we have pretty much the same rights as the PM Gillard and her de facto partner). Oz has also recognised same sex partners for immigration purposes since the early 1990s. Oz also produces so many talented and trained actors because Uni education is heavily subsidised by the Govt. Oz also has excellent public schools and hospitals and national health care. These are just a few egs of positive things. However, as with any country, there are conservative and reactionary sections of the population and they are unfortunately loud and attention-grabbing at the moment.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11202/14/2013

Oldest homo sapiens culture outside Africa.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11302/14/2013

But some folks from India interbred with them around 2000 BC.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11402/14/2013

Apparently the Indians brought dingoes with them.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11502/14/2013

r113's link proves Aboriginals left Africa before Europeans and Asians did. So they're even further removed from black Africans than white Europeans.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11602/14/2013

[quote]Keith's wife is pseudo Australian (born American, raised Australian). Just like Mel.

No, not just like Mel. Mel was born in NY to an American father and Irish-born mother. When he was 12, his father relocated the family to Australia so the oldest son wouldn't be drafted into the Vietnam War.

As for Nicole, she was born in Hawaii to Australian parents, who were in the US on educational visas. Shortly after, the family briefly moved to Washington, D.C. before moving back to Australia when Nicole was 4, where she grew up.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11702/15/2013

I agree that Australia is culturally bland. Almost the entirety of what passes for culture in Australia is imported. Certainly Australian indigenous culture is unique, but it's not mainstream - it is still entirely owned by indigenous people (as it should be). I personally attribute this to the Australian obsession with sport. The dominant historic themes that has driven Australian identity - setting the bush, pioneering and the ANZAC legend - reinforces a strong sense of physical prowess and egalitarianism. Sporting achievement is lauded, but cultural pursuits less so. To be focused on the arts or literature is to be "getting above yourself" and, as a broad generalization, achievement in these fields is not as encouraged.

Australia should be doing a lot more to develop the arts - if we could drop our ridiculous obsession with pouring money into sports. I do wonder about the idea of an Australian inferiority complex - we have an illogical need to "punch above our weight" when it comes to the gold medal count at the Olympics.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11802/15/2013

R112 Of course Australia does not have the same number of extreme right wingers, because there are a lot less people in Australia than in the US. Since Aussieland does not contribute to the main news (very little going on in this country), most right wingers don't make the news anyway.

There may also be an issue with media manipulation regarding bad news coming from Oz - ever heard of Rupert Murdoch?

Both Gillard and Abbott helped defeat a same sex marriage bill in Sept 2012, Gillard publicly declared that marriage is between a man and a woman!

Workplace equality, my ass, in my profession women always get less pay than men.

When I came to Australia more than 10 years ago I compared my profession's study requirements and curriculum and I was SHOCKED how much less students learn to get a bachelor degree in my area of expertise compared to my country. Education and the quality of it is a sad joke in Australia!!! General knowledge is also very poor with most Aussies!

Regarding the actors and their level of talent, I agree with you.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 11902/15/2013

I'm a regular shopper in markets run by vietnamese market gardeners (so regular I get regular discounts), I often say hello there to the Indian matriarch who runs a couple of the indian lunch restaurants in the city, I have a number of friends who are Aboriginal Australians (from the Wangkangurru people, from the Ngarrindjeri people, and from the Antakirinja/Yankunytjatjara mob), and I live in the multicultural western suburbs of an Australian capital city. Sure, there's racism in Australia, just as there is in any country, but I don't see a lot of it in my day-to-day life. I'd argue the structural disadvantages facing non-whites are less here than they are in the US. The poverty in which many indigenous Australians live is often a result of living in extremely remote communities with no economic activity. The mainstream population of Australia is largely well-meaning but overall pretty stupid but I'm sure that goes for most western countries. Most of posters on here trying to paint Australia as some racist hellhole clearly have no experience at all of life here.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12002/15/2013

R119, some undergraduate requirements may indeed be poorer, but in other areas - teacher education, for example - the standard is significantly higher. In some US states, teachers require no undergraduate or postgraduate teacher training whatsoever. Teaching salaries on average are also much higher. This is not to say that there is no room for improvement in our undergraduate programs, but change is happening - most programs are now four-year rather than three-year programs, for example.

As a proportion of population, Australia has more universities ranked in Top 100 lists than any other nation.

The Australian government provides most of the funding for undergraduate programs for Australian citizens. The fees that are paid are the same regardless of the institution - a four year law degree will cost around $40,000. Fees are repaid without interest through the taxation system.

For the vast majority or courses, placement is solely based on academic performance. Scholarships are almost always based on academic performance or financial need - things like football scholarships don't exist outside of specialist sporting programs.

In most international education rankings of school performance, Australia performs better than the US - but with both countries well down the rankings from where they should be.

Australia does not suffer from the desire to inject creationism, anti-gay rhetoric or abstinence only ptograms into our teaching. Some of the sexual health programs used in Australian schools are considered international best practice.

Australia has its faults, but our education system is in no way a "sad joke".

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12102/15/2013

It is not a racist hell-hole but when you come here from another country, European or Asian, you feel not welcomed. Aussies don't like other people coming here and I always thought some of it has to do with migrants often being better educated and advanced in their profession.

Aussies feel that and instead of welcoming all these new people with better skills (like the US does) they rather put them down.

It feeds into their overall picture - we are the greatest country on earth - they just don't like to be remembered they are not. Aussies are masters in denial and carelessness.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12202/15/2013

Australia and Canada are kinda blah 'cause their histories are blah. Unlike the US, they both didn't fight for their independence, and don't really have any historical watersheds (i.e. Civil War, Pearl Harbor, Vietnam) or influential and famous politicians. Though the US has the ugly sin of slavery and segregation, it did shape the culture and its minorities, which has inspired authors and filmmakers. The French were even inspired by America's revolution to start their own.

Furthermore, Canada and Australia have not really contributed anything of significance in the field of art, film, music, or pop culture in general. They both borrow heavily from the US and sometimes UK, but their artists' destination is often the US.

In short, the US has a richer culture and history, and a lot of the world pop icons are American -- Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Madonna, Michael Jackson. Even the Brits have The Beatles.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12302/15/2013

P.S. Even the social networking sites (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) are American and used the world over.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12402/15/2013

culture/history: winner US

liveability: winner Australia

freedom from God-botherers: winner Australia

racist jackasses: probably a tie

inferiority complex: duh, does anyone in the US think they're inferior?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12502/15/2013

They're the same country except for the African influence. There's nothing uinique, original or exciting about Australia.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12602/16/2013

My sister's just returned from Australia and she doesn't have nice things to say which is weird because she loves England.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12702/18/2013

[quote]My sister's just returned from Australia and she doesn't have nice things to say which is weird because she loves England.

What did she say? I've never been, but from everything I've seen and read, it just seems bland and modern.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12802/19/2013

Australia has a population of 22 million people and you criticise it for not producing the same level of talent as the US with a population of 300 million? A little perspective is needed I think.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 12902/19/2013

So what r129? Portugal has a population of only 10 million yet they have a rich culture. I'm obsessed with fado music right now.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13002/19/2013

Australia is a young country full of immigrants, and its culture is imported.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13102/19/2013

Who are their most popular celebrities locally?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13202/21/2013

OK for pop music I can think of Olivia Newton-John, Samantha Sang (one hit wonder), The Little River Band, and I think, but am not 100% sure the Bee Gees. Joan Sutherland was famous in opera and Leo McKern is one actor I can think of who was Australian born but most of his work was in British productions such as Rumpole of the Bailey (he played Rumpole) and Elizabeth R. This is what I can think of right off the top of my head from an American viewpoint. I draw no conclusions from this list, some may like these actors/singers, others not. For some reason an Australian Prime Minister comes to mind, Gough Whitlam--didn't he drown himself?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13302/22/2013

Harold Holt was the PM who went swimming and never came back. Gough was the PM who was fired by the Queen's representative, the Governor-General.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13402/22/2013

R133 not a bad list off the top of your head. Surely you must have heard of Hugh Jackman (whether you like him or not) Errol Flynn or Peter Finch to name a few. Dame Judith Anderson, Dame Nellie Melba, Kylie Minogue, ( one extreme to another !) Cate Blanchett or Nicole Kidman. (born in Hawaii to Aussie parents on vacation) Samantha Sang WAS a one hit wonder in the US, but was more successful for many years in Australia using her real name, Cheryl something. Bee Gees, UK born, like Olivia, but grew up and started careers in Australia. As a person who grew up in the UK but came to Oz over 30 years ago, I sorta see both sides of the story. I went to high school here with lots and lots of other immigrants, and was not aware that we were unwelcomed by the Australians. Maybe it's changed, but I have worked with many Asians, Greeks, Italians, Indians, Mauritians etc, and on a day to day, person to person basis thought things were mainly fine. Have also worked in the US and UK, so can compare, if that is what we want to do. Hooefully, you might be able to visit us, and ignoring the morons who exist in all countries, have a good time.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13502/22/2013

Australia is 220 years old. You can't compare it to a centuries old culture lie Pirtugal that ran an empire.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13602/22/2013

[quote]Australia is a young country full of immigrants, and its culture is imported.

The truth of the matter is that most white Australians find that insulting. They don't like to see themselves as descendants of immigrants, nor do they acknowledge that Australia was founded by immigrants.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13702/22/2013

I love how Prime Minister Harold Holt went off for a swim in Portsea (think The Hamptons) and never came back - so we named a swimming pool after him. Australia is funny like that.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13802/22/2013

Sorry r137, you are wrong. Do you live in Australia? If so, in what isolated hole?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 13902/22/2013

Actually Australia has the oldest continuous culture in the world. White people only arrived 220 years ago but Aboriginals had a long and wonderful culture that still exists today. Aboriginal people have unique art and music and speak many different indigineous languages. To discount all that is a pity. If you come to Australia and are comparing the last 200 years to thousands of years of European culture you may be disappointed but if you go to Australia and look at its real history, not just the last couple of centuries you will be blown away.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14002/22/2013

R142, I agree with you, but I was replying to the poster who was decrying the lack of "mainstream" culture. Aboriginal culture occupies about the same place as Native American culture in the US ie. not much.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14102/22/2013

I wasn't replying to you specifically r143 but to the overall sentiment that Australia is a "young" country so therefore has never had a culture of its own.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14202/22/2013

The multiculturalism adds vibrancy shtick is the biggest crock ever foisted.

Almost as big as the poor-abos shit. $2 billion every year of Australian taxpayers money every year goes to this single racial group. How much DNA do you need to have to get on the racist gravy train? No one can say. It's criminal.

The quality of life in Oz with 10 million people & the White Australia Policy was infinitely better than 20+ million people & open door.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14302/22/2013

R145 = bigot

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14402/22/2013

The problem with Australia is that cultural values do not mean that much to every day life as in most European countries. My Asian friends say the same regarding their culture in comparison to Australia.

Australia is about cheap commercialism. Allowing McDonalds to plaster their ugly billboard on the façade of an old architectural building. Advertisement and corporate Australia has more power than the desire for culture.

Urban design which is a big deal in most European cities does hardly exist in Sydney, which is dominated by cars and noisy buses instead of pedestrian areas.

People rather live in mind-numbing and dull suburbs and go shopping with their car to the next concrete ugly shopping centre. Apart from the city centres nobody hardly ever walks.

I never really understood why Australia never tried to incorporate European cultural values of rich cultural city centres, where people can meet, eat and have a good time. CBD is mainly about pubs, drinking and excess. In the suburbs everybody lives in mega big detached mansions and watches TV.

Some politicians acknowledge the problem and trying to change things, but like everything in Australia - problems are being talked about for decades, but hardly anything ever happens.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14502/22/2013

This thread is pure comedy. Laughing at "European cultural values." Yeah, like theft.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14602/22/2013

R145 is what the average Australian believe in. They will find Alabama the most ideal place to live in, but without the blacks.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14702/22/2013

You're a nasty racist r145.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14802/22/2013

Is r145 really typical of most Australians?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 14902/22/2013

Certainly not, but, sadly, there are some twats like this (r145) - mainly the poorly educated who are angry with nearly everything and everybody.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15002/22/2013

Reminder: This thread was created by the Heath Ledger troll. The only reason he thinks Australia is ANAZING is because Heath Ledger came from here.

No Australian has come here insisting we are amazing, though a number have people have provided actual facts to the anti-Australian bigots who've posted.

We're not amazing, however it is totally inaccurate to try to paint as more racist, stupid, uncultured, homophobic than anywhere else (or most other places at least).

We can't have a really strong European culture because we're only 220 year old in European terms and our origins are not just European. We're a mishmash of cultures.

I'm also sick of the kind of DL poster who says all (insert a particular group of people) are (insert derogatory description). That is often bigotry and a sign of stupidity and insecurity.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15102/22/2013

For those American posters who have referred to Australians as stupid and unaware of what happens in other countries - see link.

(I hope this isn't indicative of the general knowledge of the average American).

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15202/22/2013

I havent heard someone ever declare the benefits of the White Australia policy.But I have lived in Melbourne where I've never heard that Ievel of racism. I assume it comes from your uneducated redneck who lives in some rural backwater. Think very rural Alabama.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15302/22/2013

I'm someone who loves old architecture (which is why I love to vist Europe). Do you think it would be worth it for me to fly 24 hours to visit Australia for the architecture, or are most of their buildings like the modern shit we have in America? Because I don't want to travel that far just to see the same shit we have here.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15402/22/2013

Yeah most Aussies like Australia in the 50's better than today. Too many migrants, women stayed in the kitchen, rent and houses were cheap (maybe they should blame their corrupt politicians why that changed and not migrants. Petrol was cheap, nobody was pointing out to their careless lifestyle. (Australia produces the most rubbish and emits the most CO2 per capita and Aussies are among the fattest people) Aboriginals were still considered part of the flora and fauna and their kids could be taken way from their mothers.

Not all Aussies are thoughtless idiots but the ones who try to make good things happen in this country are too few unfortunately.

It's a shame it's a country of enormous beauty but suffers from opportunistic and narrow-minded politicians and citizens who only care about their mortgage and having enough beer in the fridge.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15502/22/2013

The guys seem really hot and oversexed.

How could Aboriginals be of African descent? Look at their hair.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15602/22/2013

Our landscape is pretty amazing but sadly our culture is not.

Nowadays we have become enslaved to our mortgages and our aspirational 'lifestyles'. Every second TV show is about renovating a house, or cooking gourmet shit in your kitchen. Our celebs are reality show losers, TV chefs, dickhead sports stars and WAGS. Oh don't forget criminal figures too. If you are a bikie or you are a 'colourful Kings Cross identity' you will be treated like royalty.Tragic.

I take issue with the walking thing however. In my part of the world, Sydney's eastern suburbs, everyone walks. You have to be seen my dear, you must wear your shitty see through exercise tights and be yakking into your iphone while pushing a double stroller while sipping your soy latte or you have to be jogging a million miles an hour with your beergut bobbing along.

Never mind aboug walking to the left, you just push straight through the elderly or anyone else who is in your path. Walking in my neighbourhood is a high pressure contact sport.Always rough around the edges, we have lost our sense of courtesy completely.

Australia in 2013 is a tacky, grasping place with no time for the 'fair go' mentality. Dad and Dave, we hardly knew ye.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15702/22/2013

There is unquestionably an issue with the racist attitudes espoused by R145 (which sounds more like the stereotype of an Australian racist, rather than representing his/her true beliefs).

Anglocentric attitudes are still very strong with some less education younger Australian (men in particular) who associate patriotism with being anti-migrant (especially anti-Muslim) and anti-Aboriginal (although I think these attitudes aren't as strong as they were 20/30 years ago). I see far too many cars with "We're Australian - Speak English" or "Fuck Off We're Full" bumper stickers.

However, I think the Cronulla Riots really shocked a lot of Australians and people are a lot more vocal against these sorts of attitudes. I doubt we'll see a right wing resurgence like you see in some European countries.

As for architecture - I personally wouldn't fly to Australia for 24 hours fr anything since it's so far away. There are some reasonably attractive Victorian and Edwardian buildings in the bigger cities, but nothing that amazing.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15802/22/2013

"I doubt we'll see a right wing resurgence like you see in some European countries"

I hope you are right, but half of Aussies will vote for Abbott in the next election and this guy is even more dubious, right wing than Howard.

Howard was responsible for the narrow-minded attitude of young Australians as they received their education when he was prime minister. School curriculum will change according to whatever political party rules the country.

Maybe some European countries have right wing politicians BUT citizens are very vocal about not liking them. In Spain half the country takes to the street. This kind of civil disobedience is not in the blood of Australians.

The difference between Europe and Australia is civil conscience. Europeans care about things that affect them - Aussies .... "no worries" Europe has been through some tough times and they have learned that you have to speak up and be part of the democratic process that forms a country. Australia still has to learn that.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 15902/22/2013

Canberra is worth the trip for architecture fans. Duh.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16002/22/2013

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16102/22/2013

Is this Julia Gillard woman a character out of the Simpsons? First, like many Australians, she is, unsurprisingly, a racist.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16202/22/2013

Watch Julia Gillard's hysterical rant on misogyny and sexism.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16302/22/2013

The ever graceful Prime Minister Gillard falls on her face during India trip.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16402/22/2013

Would the likes of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston have amounted to anything, despite their talents, had they been born in Australia? On the plus side, Beyonce and Rihanna would probably have been maids.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16502/22/2013

R159 Thanks for that insight. Nice to hear an honest observation from an actual Aussie.

After reading what you and others have said, I think I'll skip Australia and save myself a 24 hour plane ride (each way) and at least $3,000. I'm sure it has a few nice things about it, but not enough to entice me to visit, especially considering I'm mixed-race.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16602/23/2013

Kath & Kim

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16702/23/2013

Maybe you should do some research on Bob Ellis before posting his essay as 'proof' that Julia Gillard is racist, R164.

It's true that the cities of Australia are not that great. However, the natural wonders of Australia are unparalleled. You have to get out of the cities to see them.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16802/23/2013

unparalleled natural wonders - really?

You never been to the Scottish Highlands, Bavarias Blackforest, US' Yellowstone, Italys Toscana, Patagonia, Brasilas Pantanal, Indias Kerala ......?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 16902/23/2013

Being a mixed race tourist R168, will mean you would probably wouldn't experience any racism. Especially if you're an American, people will just assume you are just on vacation. Most of the racism is directed at asylum seekers arriving by boat. In particular those of the Muslim faith who intend to stay for good. The racists are petrified Australia will be "over run" by Muslims, despite that only a small percentage of refugees are being allowed to stay each year. These are usually the same kind of morons who in the United States believe President Obama is a Muslim simply because he has a "funny" name. I honestly don't think most Aussies are racist but the minority who is can be vocal and obnoxious, occasionally spurred on by sections of the right wing media. However, as I said, it's directed mostly at asylum seekers.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17002/23/2013

The architecture is hideous!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17102/23/2013

.... give them a couple of beers and they love to complain about Aborigines, migrants and refugees. Problem is they love to drink A LOT!!!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17202/23/2013

Australia has its problems, but this eulogising of 'Europe' is nauseating. The ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia is among the worst human atrocities since the second world war. And where did that occur? Australia currently has a visiting Dutch politician who advocates the end of Islam. And then there are the charming Le Pen family of France and their legion of followers. And Ian Paisley and the IRA in Ireland. And the basque separatists in Spain.

Yeah, Europe is just one big love in of human tolerance.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17302/23/2013

Maybe it's due to Oz's origins. Oz, the prison land for the British. Anyone who couldn't abide by the status quo was exiled to Oz. It's a group of ne'er do wells and those who buck authority, and those who think outside of the box, who populated the country (the whites at least. The indigenous Aborigines were already there of course).

These are generally more creative, free thinkers. So now you have an entire population with a certain flavor, one that contributes a swagger, a self-assurance, and an interesting perspective. One that is blunt rather than polite. (e.g. toilet rather than restroom / loo - can you imagine an American asking where your toilet is? If you ask for a bathroom in Oz, since they frequently are separated from the toilet room, they enjoy the trick of showing you to the 'bath' room, and closing the door on you, so you have to uncomfortably exit and ask for the toilet.)

OTOH, sweeping generalizations are probably just bullshit!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17402/23/2013

R175 I would call the Stolen Generations some sort of ethnic cleansing, some politician even called it attempted genocide.

It was an Australian organisation that sponsored Geert Wilders trip to Australia.

Abbott, Pauline Hanson, Barnaby Joyce are not that much better than Le Pen. The Tea party recently opened offices in Australia.

Instead of constantly pointing out to other countries problems why not get busy and start fixing the one in your own.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17502/23/2013

[quote]"next to no ethic/racial violence" Yeah right tell that to all the Indian students who were harassed or murdered last year in Melbourne [bold]or to the Aboriginal Male who died like a dog in the back of a police van.[/bold]

You seem to have conveniently forgotten two very important details about that latter incident:

1) the guards had no way of knowing that the air conditioning was not working in the back of the truck; and

2) the man was passed out drunk the whole time!

Not saying he deserved to die, but if he'd been sober, he would've been able to alert them to the lack of air conditioning, and thus save his own life.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17602/23/2013

"Instead of constantly pointing out to other countries problems why not get busy and start fixing the one in your own." (r177). Exactly. Maybe most of the posters on this thread could also take this sage advice. Aussie bashing is a bore. Is this country so worthy of all this attention and vitriol?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17702/23/2013

R178 If the poor guy was drunk he should have never been subjected to an unsupervised trip in the back of a police van that took several hours. The officers didn't stop to check on him once, if he was OK, if had to go to the toilet, if he was hungry or thirsty, if the A/C was working or not.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17802/23/2013

well if you start a thread with a comment like

"Perhaps the Americans should learn a thing or two from Australia"

like R1 did, you should not be surprised to get some responses.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 17902/23/2013

Americans can certainly learn a thing or two about irony, that's for sure.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18002/23/2013

I too am black and was THIS close to choosing Australia for vacation until this thread (and others elsewhere) made me think twice. I have a friend from Africa who graduated university there and tells me he has no intention of returning even for a short visit. This from a guy who criticises Americans for allegedly looking at everything through a racial prism.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18102/23/2013

Hillarious thread filled with:

A. Aussies proving every stereotype

B. Embarrassed Aussies trying to cover for their compatriots

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18302/23/2013

No r145, homogeneity fosters dullness as Canada and Australia have proved.

This is a snapshot of America's shocking, troubled and brutal history but also the stunningly powerful and soul-stirring art (in this case, music) that same history gave birthed. Oz has never produced anything even half as evocative. No passion for anything.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18402/23/2013

I'm black and vacationed in Sydney. We didn't have any problems. People were polite and friendly.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18502/23/2013

I remember when the White Australia Policy was law. (In fact, my aunt sponsored an Indian student to study here. But as soon as his studies were over he had to leave.)

So I've actually lived in the two societies, and can compare them. Allowing for the prevailing 60s, 70s values, there was a 'togetherness' about Australia, a feeling that we were all part of a family, which has completely disappeared. Same as in Europe: multiculturalism creates social division and alienation, not homogenous happy societies.

I know this is the worst possible thing one can say, but it's the facts. I've lived in both, experienced both realities for myself, so I can state it that what the statistics say feels like the real deal.

I also know this will get me branded a racist/bigot as per R145, but I don't give a flying fuck. Repeat: not a flying fuck. Especially as the generations that have grown up since the 70s are indoctrinated as heavily with PC values as any Chinese Cultural Revolution re-education camp, so you can't reason with them to any degree.

A teacher was laughingly telling me the other day about the shit she has to teach with a straight face: e.g. that aborigines were 'custodians' of the land who cared for it. Utter bullshit of course. The fossil record shows that their land burning irrevocably changed the face of the continent after their arrival. And the only reason they couldn't do more damage is they didn't have bulldozers. You only have to look at the state of aboriginal settlements to see how much they care for the fucking land! Anyone, of any colour, who lives in the country has an infinity for the land. The attempt to make their affinity something special compared to that of other peoples is racism to the Nth degree.

The same thing is happening in New Zealand. Polynesian culture is being given priority to a warped degree. Read Duncan Fallowell's superb travel book Going As Far As I Can, which upset NZ, because he told the simple truth. But you can't quietly speak of facts these days. It enrages the younger indoctrinated generation who can't or won't look at the reality, have means of comparing the past, and scream like little Read Book wielding Maoists into your face that this is Bad Think. And the idea that you can have a group of people in society subject to positive discrimination and ascribed special privileges because over two centuries ago their land was invaded, is insane. The intermarriage rate makes impossible to realistically and fairly police it for one thing. How much DNA makes one black/white?

The other thing is that you can't expect people to subsidise others to live a semi stone age lifestyle under some Noble Savage fantasy, when in fact they want the TVs and alcohol, and cars and all the other shit that requires good solid work. Don't expect asian/indian Australians to put up with paying to have far too many aborigines to sit on their arses for much longer because it's 'their culture'. It's all arbitrary, all screwed up, and totally disfunctional govt policy.

Oh, and the Stolen Generation shit has been proven to be criminally warped history. But it's so compelling a guilt fantasy, like Sorry Day, that it's become Fact. Sorry Day? Aborigines should get on their fucking bony knees and thank White Australians for the trillions of dollars and western lifestyle they've given them!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18602/23/2013

R188, I'm an Australian who has lived and worked in Aboriginal communities for a number of years, and I'll say to you that you should be ashamed of yourself for failing to scratch beneath the superficial surface of your opinions and of making such strong statements without making any attempt at understanding the reality of the situation.

I will never understand why people will speak so forcefully about a topic of which they have made absolutely no effort in examining.

One thing that would benefit both the US and Australia - in fact all countries - is that we accept that there are more fuckwits in our respectful countries than we would like and use every opportunity to call them out on their stupidity.

And R188 is a whole lot of stupid.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18702/23/2013

As always with your type, you assume waaay too much R188.

I've been to the Outback, seen what's what, and also worked with Aboriginal organisations and govt departments which interact with them. I'm well aware of the underlying issues and challenges. And it hasn't changed my opinion one iota. In fact, it's reinforced it. Current aboriginal policy is utterly disfunctional (which is why it so criminally wasteful).

And multiculturalism sucks BIG TIME. Rather than building strong societies, it corrodes them from within.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18802/23/2013

R188 sounds like he/she skipped school all-together and all training and knowledge was received in the pub.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 18902/24/2013

Wow! We were so right, Oz is redneck central. Thank your lucky stars for this thread, r183.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19002/24/2013

r135, thought of two more singers who were/are kind of fun, Charlie Drake who did "My Boomerang Won't Come Back" and "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour" and Frank Ifield who did the best ever version of "I Remember You". All of these songs were recorded in the early 1960s and I still have the 45s for them. Actually, until I read his bio, I thought that Frank Ifield was an American country singer.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19102/24/2013

I went to White Night in Melbourne for the first time (I missed it last year). Actually I only got home a few hours ago, it finished up at 7am. Thankfully most of the mothers and their children had gone home before we arrived at 11pm. It was like the whole city transformed into a nightclub and everyone was invited. I've never seen tens of thousands of people converge and dance through all the city laneways and streets like that before. I must say it was pretty amazing and most of it was free.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19202/24/2013

[quote]Actually, until I read his bio, I thought that Frank Ifield was an American country singer.

Are you judging the abilities of an Australian singer on how American he sounds?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19302/24/2013

The public transport is breathtaking...

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19402/24/2013

Take a break r195, you need one.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19502/24/2013

There's a Melbourne in Florida too, so we have to be careful and distinguish because one of them is a terrible hellhole...and the other is a pleasant suburbanized Aussie city.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19602/24/2013

[quote][R178] If the poor guy was drunk he should have never been subjected to an unsupervised trip in the back of a police van that took several hours. The officers didn't stop to check on him once, if he was OK, if had to go to the toilet, if he was hungry or thirsty, if the A/C was working or not.

If the "poor guy" had been AWAKE [instead of passed out drunk in his friggin late 50's, how goddamn pathetic is THAT?], he could've called out or pounded on the walls to notify the guards that something was wrong.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19702/24/2013

You can always spot a racist by his lack of intelligence and simplified sense of justice.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19802/24/2013

You aren't stating fact, r188 - you're stating your own very misguided perceptions. I'm an anthropologist who's worked with Aboriginal people for years. They are indeed subject to continuing racism - both structural and day-to-day - much like the indigenous people of the US. For every racist, however, there are half-a-dozen aussies who are happy to live and let live, and who will offer help to anyone who needs it. Most Australians are appalled by our refugee policies but we've had spineless leadership for years (John Howard ignored the biggest nation-wide street protests for decades - hundreds of thousands of people - in sending Australia's troops to Iraq). There are fools and bigots all over the world, but anyone who thinks all or even most Australians are racist has never actually experienced life in Australia.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 19902/26/2013

I hope you are right but Abbotts chances of winning the election seem to be good. The guy is as racist and misogynist as they come, yet half of Australians are willing to vote for him.

I am scared honestly - Australia is swinging to the right in a very big way.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20002/26/2013

[quote]You aren't stating fact, [R188] - you're stating your own very misguided perceptions.

Get a mirror, bitch. Fact: contrary to the nonsense you spout about the majority of Australians being appalled by Howards policy on illegal immigrants (perhaps in your own little self-reflective leftist circle), poll after poll consistently shows a majority of Australians overwhemingly ENDORSE the policy. Which is why the Labor govt has had to return to it. No country can afford porous borders. Especially when the vast majority of refugees arent fleeing persecution or danger, but are merely seeking to better themselves. That's fine. But Australia's cradle to grave sociial security blanket, like that of Europes, offers too great an enticement without a strictly controlled refugee policy. Half the entire fucking world would love that!!!!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20102/26/2013

Minimum wage in Australia is A$15.96 an hour, that's kind of amazing.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20202/26/2013

Amazing how people took over an entire country 200 years ago, claimed the original inhabitants of that country not human beings but just flora and fauna but now are reluctant to give 1000 refugees a new home. Australia has one of the lowest inhabitants per m2km and is constantly shitting on Europe for density being a bad thing. Yet Europe is technically, environmentally and culturally decades more advanced than Australia.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20302/26/2013

Another point for R201: recent stats showed that a worryingly high percentage of refugees remained unemployed even after 5 years in Oz: I think it was 67%. Being realistic that means for life. Supporting them and their statistically very large families via the reunion program means each group costs a minimum $1 million in housing, health, pension, & motherhood support over their lifetime. That's a real minimum. So: one boatload of 40 men + family reunion = $40 million long term. Two boatloads (and Oz has been getting several a week) and you're up for a $billion. It's crazily wildly INSANELY unsustainable. And you can through budget cuts to health & education how this madness is impacting on the lifestyle of Australians. It's not what they paid their taxes for, and they shouldn't have to endure it. All the weeping leftists who' ve perpetrated it , sustained as they are on public service salaries -- (believing themselves right they don't give a fuck about blowing other people's money on their ideologies) should be rounded up and shot.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20402/26/2013

[quote] Minimum wage in Australia is A$15.96 an hour, that's kind of amazing.

But the cost of living, even outside the major cities, is very high. In the handful of major cities where the jobs are, it's very very high due the inflated Australian property market. NY & London prices in cities a fraction of the size.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20502/26/2013

R206, but I am sure though that you don't have a problem with white immigrants from the UK, New Zealand, and South Africa, which makes up more than half the number of immigrants to the country. But if an immigrant family from China comes in who are professional workers, I'm sure you will lump them all in with all the refugees.

How many refugees does Australia actually accept compared to the rest of the legal immigrants? 5%?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20602/26/2013

Exactly what 201 said.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20702/26/2013

This thread has shown Australia for what it really is, racist and backward in many ways. Come to think of it, nothing Australian has ever been adopted across the world. People don't go Australian restaraunts, or dance to Australian music (Kylie Minogue and Keith Urban don't make Australian music) or care for their art, literature or culture.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20802/28/2013

R210 You're right. They don't seem to have any culture of their own. They just seem "there".

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 20902/28/2013

They're VERY homophobic. Just read some of the homophobic comments from people in Australia about Nate Berkus having a baby with a surrogate.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21003/01/2013

Unfortunately Australia's culture is not that important around the world. It's not that it's not there, it is, but it does not play a big part in the mindset of the average aussies. There are some great people (artists, journos, musicians, politicians) in this country but unfortunately they are too few and nobody listens to them. Sadly most things in this country are influenced by cheap commercialism, corporate Australia, booze, very little international media and an inferior complex that is so big that Australia shuts out most outside influences. It's a worrying combination on which Australia will pay the price for in the future.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21103/01/2013

R210 is unfamiliar with Outback Steak House!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21203/01/2013

Have any Aborigines made it to a position of power, like holding high office, running a big business or gain a large audience? Are they a political force like the indeginous peoples of say, Bolivia who elected their own, Evo Morales, president? Which party do they tend to support?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21303/01/2013

They have Mardi Gras, even though that too is obviously borrowed and doesn't have the same roots and meaning as in the Americas.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21403/03/2013

I went looking for these VERY homophobic comments R212 and here they are all 4 comments made by Australian's. What the fuck are you talking about? You're just making shit up you tosser.

[quote]Hope they are all very happy. As long as they cherish that little baby I have no reason not to be happy for them. - Mummy 3, Adelaide, Australia, 1/3/2013 19:55

[quote]I don't care if they're gay, I just don't think any couple is ready for a child after 8 months. He/she doesn't need seperate homes on top of that if this relationship unsurprisingly doesn't work out. - elzie, Sydney, Australia, 1/3/2013 15:31

[quote]Power couple? So when are they going to have the time to be 'proper' parents? Or are they going to do the usual Hollywood thing and foist the baby on a Nanny? - The view from here, Perth, Australia, 1/3/2013 11:57

[quote]Dating for a whole eight months - wow, they're like soooo ready for a baby then. *Shudders* - Kate, Sydney, Australia, 1/3/2013 8:24

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21503/03/2013

R217 = Another reason not to go to Australia. Full of people with nasty attitudes.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21603/03/2013

R218 Don't worry this poster R217 is just drunk, it's gets very unpleasant when they eventually sober up.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21703/03/2013

For R215: There have been Aboriginal judges, state and federal politicians (one was the leader of the Australian Democrats at one point).Sir Douglas Nicholls was Governor of South Australia.Tom Calma is currently the chairman of the Human Rights & Equal opportunities Commission. Aboriginals are high achievers in sport and the arts. Aboriginals are not a homogenous group;there were over 200 different language groups at the time of colonization and traces of this fragmentation is still evident.Urban Aboriginals have different concerns to Aboriginals in remote or rural areas,for example.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21803/03/2013

r220, any TV shows with a mainly Aboriginal cast you can recommend? Even sitcoms? I know its just entertainment but I learnt so much from similar shows about the lives of indigenous people in Canada.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 21903/03/2013

Australians talking about Mardi Gras. They've had it for 35 years.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22003/03/2013

R188 Should Aussies send back all the Greeks, Italians and Yugoslavs back too? Should Australian go back to eating fish and chips and other bland food that made us/them a laughing stock? No thanks. I understand what you're talking about BUT when you say together, what made Irish Catholics feel together in Australia with the other so-called Anglo-Celtic people when they were considered to be the lowest of the low in the old country?

My folks back in OZ are really racially tolerant. Much more than some people I've encountered in NYC and the like. There hasn't been many blacks that immigrate to Oz. They are far less politically correct when it comes to that issue as well. Americans have a tendency to say the right thing in public but spew racial venom behind closed doors.

Someone mentioned Keith Urban,he's a is Russell Crowe.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22103/03/2013

R221: For dramas, try Redfern Now, The Straits,The Circuit and RAN (Remote Area Nurse). There is also a chick comedy/drama called Offspring that has an 'Aboriginal Best Friend' of the main character.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22203/03/2013

Aboriginals are behind in pretty much every category compared to white Australians. Life expectancy, income, access to education, health services.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22303/03/2013

Thanks r224. Hope I can find episodes to download. Interesting how, similar to indigenous communities in North America (and even in the rest of the Americas), they seem to be afflicted by drug & alcohol abuse, poverty & unemployment and other social ills. I wonder what settling populations could have done have done to avoid this.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22403/04/2013

Name the last "war" Australia started, you American/British cunts. We are stupid people. We have/still done/do whatever you war-mongers say. Thank "god" I live here with all the drunkards.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22503/04/2013

Australia has one of the highest gasoline consumption around the world. People love to drive everywhere. If Americas hadn't started a war with Iraq to secure cheap oil Australia would have done it. All the fat Aussies hate to walk.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22603/04/2013

Australians use petrol not gasoline.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22703/04/2013

R223, not that it matters much but I think Russell Crowe has dual NZ/Australian citizenship. He lives in Australian (Woolloomooloo and the central coast of NSW). He is at least half Aussie whether you like it or not. I don't mind him. He can be be a brilliant actor ("A beautiful mind").

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22803/04/2013

R228, love it - another idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Another reminder: I don't think anyone is claiming that Australia is an AMAZING country. The only reason the Heath Ledger troll OP says it is amazing is because HL originated from here ... it's not bad though.

I walk everywhere or use public transport, despite having a car. It only gets used about once a week ... and I am not fat. R228 like some others on DL loves to place a whole nation of people in a box as it allows him to feel superior to a whole nation of people. He is deluding himself.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 22903/04/2013

It's a lot like Paris to the extent that it would be a much nicer place if the majority of residents simply lived elsewhere.

There are some very nice Australians, but in general they are a bigoted bunch who will slap you on the back with a "g'day mate" and a smile while slagging you off when you've left the room.

And that's just the straight guys.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23003/04/2013

R231 Read the comments when the SMH next time thinks its a good idea to have more pedestrian areas in CBD. The overwhelming majority of people hated the idea because they like to drive their cars exactly to where they need to go. Australians use their cars more than Americans and 4 times more than most Europeans.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23103/04/2013

[quote]This thread has shown Australia for what it really is, racist and backward in many ways. Come to think of it, nothing Australian has ever been adopted across the world. People don't go Australian restaraunts, or dance to Australian music (Kylie Minogue and Keith Urban don't make Australian music) or care for their art, literature or culture.

Racist and backward - in what way and compared to what? It is really easy to throw stones - so much harder to back it up. The only time I hear racist crap is when I visit my cousins in the country - honestly. On the other hand, a friend told me the other day that white Americans still fear that their womenfolk will be raped by African American men (the friend's boyfriend lives in the US). You can't get much more backward than that.

Australia has great restaurants. They're a mishmash of many cultures, and not "purely Australian" whatever the hell that might be.

As for culture - we do fine (off the top of my head: Patrick White, Brett Whiteley, Tim Winton, Nick Cave, Peter Carey, Baz Luhman, Geraldine Brooks, Robert Hughes, Clive James, Cate Blanchett, Germaine Greer and many, many more). We're a small country. We're never going to impress the average American bigot, who barely knows who his own artists are, let alone artists from other countries.

(Keith Urban is a New Zealander. No one knows his music here except the most hardened of country music fans.)

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23203/04/2013

[ Australia has great restaurants ]

This is a joke right?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23303/04/2013

Where do you hark from R235? I'll give you a pass if it is Paris central.

If you're some hick from the backwoods of the US of A (or even NYC), you don't get a pass, and no, I'm not joking. Australia has got great restaurants.

I've eaten in restaurants in New York and London, so I have something to compare my Australian restaurants with. What about you, R235? Have you ever been to Australia - have you ever set foot outside of your country.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23403/04/2013

[I've eaten in restaurants in New York and London, so I have something to compare my Australian restaurants with]

Wow you visited some real gourmet places!

To mu knowledge Australia has very few if not one Michelin star restaurants.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23503/04/2013

[quote]We're never going to impress the average American bigot, who barely knows who his own artists are, let alone artists from other countries.

Let's see - some of your exports...

Peter Allen!

Dame Edna/Barry Humphries!

Hugh Jackman!

Russell Crowe!

Guy Pierce!

Hugo Weaving!

Mel Gibson!

Is it true that to be successful in Australia male actors must be gay, play gay or dress in women's clothing?

Is it some sort of prerequisite?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23603/04/2013

R238 Mel Gibson has dual American and Irish citizenship and left the US for Australia when he was 13. He never became an Australian.

R230 Russell was born in New Zealand,he is part Maori and his cousins were captains of the New Zealand cricket team.As being part Australian, I have no Maori relatives,no family there and I wasn't born there in NZ!;)

Nicole Kidman was born in LA and as . a result is a dual US/OZ citizen. She lives in the US and Oz BUT she is rightly called Australian.

R234 I'm in the US and people most people don't fear that their daughters will be raped by blacks! Then again there are people that don't like Obama because he is bi-racial. Then again what other Western country or power has directly elected a person of color into the head office of the country? The US alone...

R236 Australia has made leaps and bounds from the days that people ate fish and chips and the Greeks couldn't give away Greek food in the milk bars!However the US has indigenous cuisine like Creole,Cajun that Oz cannot even touch. Trust me a meat pie(which I love eating) can't hold a candle to New Orleans food scene. OZ has become very internationalized in terms of their food culture,but America actually has a great native cuisine(southern Cuisine especially Cajun and Creole) whereas Australia has chikos, meat pies and fish and chips!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23703/04/2013

R239. Electing a black man president doesn't make the country less racist. If anything it's brought the ugliness out in the open where the President is publically called a nigger and he and his wife subjected to endless racist abuse.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23803/04/2013

R240 It's a big deal to elect a black president. The US is much less racist than it is purported to be. And who is calling Pres Obama the n-word publicly? And the racial abuse? They press is handling the President with kid gloves because he is bi-racial/black. There's a great sensitivity with the press because they don't want to appear racist.They loved brutalizing that moron Bush to high heaven,yet the current President gets a pass.Then again the press should have ripped Bush on the Iraq war...they dropped the ball on that.

One more thing, Aussies are not that racist either. However they are more direct/honest about their feelings. In the US, there is probably the same amount of racism BUT people are far more politically correct about it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 23903/04/2013

The press never brutalized George Bush.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24003/05/2013

Wrong, they did brutalize Dubya. Especially after the two front war seemed more and more like a debacle. In addition, things like That's My Bush and Dubya lampooned him. Not that I minded because he was a complete dope. To be fair, Obama hasn't been ridiculed in the same way.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24103/05/2013

r241, read the comments section on any article involving the Obamas. No matter how innocuous, playing golf, playing with Bo the dog, name it ... the racial angle is more common than you think.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24203/05/2013

The African American guys I know (2 who live in Australia and a couple who just visited) have told me Australians actually tend to be *overly* solicitous and polite to them- trying to make up for perceived racism? afraid of accidentally causing offense? I don't really know...

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24303/05/2013

R244 No. The press is overly sensitive to Obama and the First Lady.They go out of their way NOT to seem or perceived to be racist. Consequently they treat him with kid gloves on things like the drones.

R245 Aussies are not that racist towards African Americans. Africans perhaps BUT not Black Americans. Most Aussies haven't encountered people of African descent until the recent past.Those are the growing pains of immigration. Then again there was a business that had "an Irish need not apply" advertisement because of their bad experiences with Irish workers lying about their work skills.That was very wrong and the government actually has anti-discrimination laws that will fight something like that. The difference in the US is that someone might say that behind the scenes BUT not be direct about it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24403/05/2013

Untrue R243. They consistently showed bias in Bush's favor. He served two terms, having been elected to neither, and he presided over the biggest surprise attack on America ever...that is to say, greenlighted it. A real press would have seen to his electrocution for treason ten years ago.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24503/05/2013

[quote]Aussies are not that racist towards African Americans. Africans perhaps BUT not Black Americans.

Huh? Why?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24603/08/2013

Straight Aussie women go crazy for African- American males, especially the army and navy guys. Seems to be the accent, plus they have better manners than Aussie guys.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24703/08/2013

Aussie guys have the worst manners. You go out to dinner with them and it sure is an embarrassment. They have no taste either, but constantly like to brag that Aussie chefs are great cooks.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24803/08/2013

Straight British and European women also seem to go crazy for African-American men as well so its not just an Aussie thing.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 24903/09/2013

The Grindr Guide is an eight-part web series that follows the lives of five gay Australian men as they explore sex, dating and friendships through geo-based application Grindr. The web series was filmed in Sydney Australia, which has over 150,000 Grindr users, over a six-month period during early 2012 and debuted on YouTube in March 2, 2013. The web series takes an honest look at the issues that the app can cause including self-esteem, lookism, racism and sexual health issues.

Interesting, especially the webisode on race and racism.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25003/11/2013

[quote]Straight British and European women also seem to go crazy for African-American men as well so its not just an Aussie thing.

I wouldn't say so much that the rest of European women go "crazy" for black men (there are some but not tons), but I've definitely noticed this in Britain. If I recall correctly, Britain has more mixed-race people per capita than anywhere else.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25103/11/2013

Aussie women DO NOT go crazy for African American men.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25203/11/2013

Finding a British-born black man paired with a black woman is a chore, especially if they're of some success. Someone told me if you see a black man in Britain who exclusively dates black women, then they're probably first or second generation African.

There have been black people in Britain for centuries and they've always been absorbed into the majority white population. It takes about two generations to appear fully white. The footballer Ryan Giggs is an example. His grandfather is an African immigrant.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25303/11/2013

They certainly do R254. I had a black gay friend who had sex with numerous women in Australia because they were all over him even though he said he didn't like it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25403/11/2013

Indians and Asians seem to have it especially bad in Australia. What surprises is how open the prejudice and hostility is. Attacks on Indian students, mass riots against Lebanese, total marginalization of Aborigines from the mainstream ... this is only comparable to places like Israel, Russia and parts of Eastern Europe.

Overt, public racial, hostility isn't tolerated in modern western societies anymore. Australia seems to be stuck in time decades behind the rest of the world and I find it really fascinating.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25503/12/2013

Please give us some examples of the overt, public hostility, r257, because I live in an Australian city and I don't see it. Australia isn't the only country that's had the occasional race riot (the Cronulla 'riots' were incited by a racist right-wing shock-jock) and it has far tougher anti-discrimination laws than the USA. Australia is far from perfect but it is also far from the new South Africa some of the clueless posters in this thread insist it is. No country should be judged entirely by the few ill-mannered, ill-educated rednecks that reside there.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25603/12/2013

I agree with you, most Australians are very hostile towards everybody who is coming from a different country trying to make their living in Australia. I think the main problem is the isolation of Australia. The rest of the world just moves with a way faster pace. Australia is in so many ways stuck in the 1980s the older generation even in 1950s. They don't have modern things over there. Innovation, whether it is technically, socially, culturally or politically are just not happening in Australia. Australians are afraid of anything they don't know.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25703/12/2013

How's this for an example r258?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25803/12/2013

And this from an Australian news outlet.

[quote]A young Indian-Australian friend of mine walked into a Melbourne garage and saw a young Indian attendant, a student working part time, being subjected to the most vile, scatological, racist abuse by a man of Caucasian background who was covered in tattoos and wearing long hair. When my young friend made the abuser aware of his presence the abuse stopped.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 25903/12/2013

And I think the experience of the Indian and Asian guys at r252 is pretty overt.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26003/12/2013

I like Joel in Grindr Guide ep 5, if he were to fix himself up.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26103/12/2013

Those items are at least three years old. If Australia's racism is so overt and rampant, where are the daily/weekly/monthly reports of racial attacks? If you suckers think a media beat-up from 2010 is evidence of widespread and ongoing racist hatred you're fools. There are huge numbers of migrant Australians (such as myself) who live here quite happily and without fear. Like I said, Australia isn't perfect (what country is?) and we have our share of bigots but Australian society in general is not as racist as most clueless north americans in this thread seem to think.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26203/12/2013

That's true, R264. Migrants from the UK and New Zealand generally don't get abuse from the Aussies.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26303/12/2013

You hardly meet an aussie who at a quiet moment are not complaining about all the Chinese, Indians, Lebanese and eastern Europeans - hell about anybody except New Zealanders who are coming over here take away their jobs, their men and messing with their so called great country. The overwhelming majority of Australians are xenophobic and do think migrants are 2nd class citizens.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26403/12/2013

That's not true at all R266 (also R250, R225, R259& R228). I know of nobody who complains about immigrants taking away jobs, men and their so called great country - except the news channels (7 & 9) who beat up a story for maximum exposure. Much like what you have done...

It is also absolutely untrue that the overwhelming majority of Australian's are xenophobic. After all - we are all immigrants in this country.

I don't know what part of Australia you live in (if you even live in Australia which I suspect you don't) but I am born and raised in Sydney and live in Melbourne.

As R264 said - you can find examples of any behaviour in any country in the world. Australia is no different that other western countries. Australia is more tolerant than other cultures in some areas and less tolerant in other areas. Same as any other country.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26503/12/2013

R247 You are a freeper/conspiracy nut.You need to stop listening to right wing fascists like ALex Jones and start taking some psychotropic meds. Bush did not greenlight 9/11. He and his government were too incompetent to pull anything off like that.

In addition, he did steal the first election BUT the second? The press throw relative softballs at Obama compared to Bush. The drone issue was so muted by the mainstream press until recently. If cowboy,dopey Bush Jr had done what Obama has done with the drones he would have been skewered.Keep in mind that I hated Bush, but the press turned on him after the Iraq debacle.

R259 You're kidding me right? Have you been to Australia? I have and it is not the back water that you are describing. As yahooish as some Aussies can be there is no Mississippi/Alabama in Australia.As for immigrants, are people in Europe and the US holding hands with new immigrants? There is resentment in Europe and America towards new immigrants as well.Once again, Aussies are more honest about their likes and dislikes whereas in America someone might be an out and out racist BUT not say it. Trust me, I know plenty of people in the US that are xenophobic, even in the US Northeast.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26603/12/2013

R267 Channel 7, 9 and 10 would never spew xenophobic comments if the majority of Aussies would not be OK with that. TV programming reflects what Aussies think. The majority of Australians will vote for the biggest bigot in the next election. I am worried Australia is moving to the right in a very big way.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26703/12/2013

Australia has produced some beautiful women - Judy Davis, Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett to name a few.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26803/12/2013

R270 Blanchett is half American, her late dad was from Texas. Kidman was born in LA and is a dual US/Aus citizen.I think they are both pretty. Judy Davis is no bombshell but she is a great actress. I'm not surprised that she didn't pull a Mommy Dearest with her portrayal of Judy Garland.She's too good to be that bad. Then again her portrayal of Nancy Reagan was pure camp.....

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 26903/12/2013

R261 Wow, what a shithole racist country!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27003/13/2013

Heaps of trolling going on in this thread.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27103/13/2013

[quote] Australia is no different that other western countries. Australia is more tolerant than other cultures in some areas and less tolerant in other areas.

Seriously, just how is Australia "more tolerant than other cultures" especially where race is concerned? The examples shown in this thread would be unacceptable in other civilised western societies.

The treatment of Aboriginals, Pacific Islanders, Polynesians, Asians and Middle Easterners is downright discriminatory. It's just as well the black population there is insignificant because the world would have heard about it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27203/13/2013

Australia gets first Aborigine leader of provincial gorvernment.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27303/14/2013

R274 How has America treated Native Americans,African Americans and white ethnics? Say an Italian last name and what did people think of here ... the Mafia. A Jewish name, he controls the media.The Washington Redskins are named after Native Americans and that is a racist name. Black unemployment is very high relative to the regular population. Racism plays a part in that fact.

Australia is not perfect by any means BUT it didn't have massive non Anglo-Celtic immigration until after WW II. The United States has had all sorts of immigration for at least 150 years. So the US has had a head start on assimilating different cultures. That being said it record is far from perfect.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27403/14/2013

You're tiresome R268

Bush was incompetent but the military certainly was not.

And he stole the second election, which was proved even before one of the perps was killed in a suspicious plane crash coming back to Ohio to testify about it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27503/14/2013

Kiwis are coming to take their men? I believe it. Those Kiwi men have big meaty thighs.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27603/14/2013

R 268

"Aussies are more honest about their likes and dislikes whereas in America someone might be an out and out racist"

You got to be kidding - Aussies are the biggest sycophants.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27703/14/2013

I guess I could have judged the entire nation of the Unjted States on my ten-day visit to Mississippi, but, thanks to the Australian education system, I'm not a fucking moron and haven't done so.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27803/14/2013

You poor thing. I've been to Mississippi many times, but ten days would be hellacious.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 27903/14/2013

R279 Big fail. If you are going to quote someone quote the entire sentence NOT what you pick and choose. This is what I wrote:Once again, Aussies are more honest about their likes and dislikes whereas in America someone might be an out and out racist BUT not say it. Closet racism is the order of the day in America. I've worked at companies in areas where Black and Hispanic reside and there were hardly if any Black or Hispanic employees. At one company, the boss didn't like blacks.

One of the differences between the UK, France and the US is that you still see more interracial couples in the UK and France as opposed to the US.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28003/14/2013

How can a country have a "white only" immigration policy as recently as 1978? Then you remember they didn't fully embrace the boycott of apartheid South Africa especially when it came to sports:

[quote]Australia played a consistent role in the implementation of the apartheid sports boycott from 1972 to 1991, when there were no official Australian rugby or cricket tours. However, there were many unofficial tours of South Africa, such as the rebel cricket tours in 1985–86 and 1986–87

Looks like the official line would be what the world wanted to hear but they couldn't be bothered to enforce an actual ban because the sports-watching public was willing to support these tours.

They also haven't taken kindly to crickets' power-base shifting to the Indian sub-continent where the money is.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28203/15/2013

Aborigines were not considered human beings, just part of the flora and fauna until 1967, in the 70's white Australia were still taking black children away from their mothers.

Talk to any migrant in this country, the overwhelming majority feel not welcomed by Aussies. Of course there are great people in this country who are trying to right the wrong, but unfortunately they are too few and their voices are not heard enough.

Every country has done very appealing things, but for Australians to say "We are not racists" is a sick lie.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28303/15/2013

[quote]Maybe that's what you like to believe, but to me Aussies are the biggest liars, posers and fake face people I have ever met in my life.

Then you have never met an American or refuse to see who you are as a nation if you are American R283. American's are the most fake people I have ever met.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28403/15/2013

[quote]Aborigines were not considered human beings, just part of the flora and fauna until 1967

"Flora and fauna"? I keep reading this but I honestly can't wrap my mind around such a concept as much as I try. Really, name any historical crime against humanity ... the Spanish Inquisition, slavery and the slave trade, the Holocaust, colonialism, Jim Crow, Apartheid ... at least the oppressors acknowledged the victims as human beings. But to consider Aborigines wildlife within living memory of many middle-aged people is just bizarre.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28503/15/2013

The best thing for Australia would be to encourage Asian immigration until they become a viable and significant voting bloc.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28603/15/2013

R289 Oh please contribute facts not fiction!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28803/20/2013

My post was very factual.

I did forget to mention that Australia does have an amazing jazz scene, and to be fair, aside from Hooters, there are a profusion of cajun and creole restaurants.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 28903/20/2013

R289 shut the fuck up. As a non-white-guy who has experienced racism first hand in Australia, your post is still full of shit. The only thing I can really fault them on is the redneck attitude. They're otherwise doing really well, for an island off Asia.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29003/20/2013

It's a continent.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29103/20/2013

It's a prison!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29203/21/2013

Call out any Australian for a racist remark, the knee-jerk defence is always "at least we say what we think", when they realise you don't agree.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29303/22/2013

R295, Thank you so much for pointing this out. I can now admit the truth to myself. I say this all day every day. Every single Australian does this. Even the 27% who were born elsewhere. They weren't racist until they immigrated, but they are now. Even the 25% whose parents were born elsewhere. We're full of hate for everyone.

It's wonderful to read this thread and to understand so much more about my country, and from many who've never even set foot here. Well done you'all.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29403/22/2013

I think that R259 forgot to mention that all Australian's own and Koala or a Kangaroo! How remise of him!

Quick tip - you have to eat after dark with Kola's as they are nocturnal and we like to have both at the table licking their dinner during dinner times. They like to lick the plates...

Because we are so racist we don't allow anyone who isn't white to speak, own property or have children in Australia. It's all illegal thankfully.

What's an abortion? We don't have that word in pour country. Aah -baugh -tion. Sounds like a cotanga job to us.

Just so you know, homooosexxualitieeee is not a word in the Australian English language. Who would want to bugger another man when there are koala's available? Well, no-one.

I'd fuck a kangaroo any day over you R289! Thank you so much!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29503/22/2013

R297 - Mate, you're breaking my heart.

If you'd received proper sex education you would know that there are many other non-hunan options. Can't believe you didn't mention sheep in your post.

Of course sex education is not included in the Australian school curriculum for fear of warping young minds. Consequently Australia leads the world in teenage pregnancy. Also the study of evolution is banned. Because of this a huge % of Australians believe in creatism - 87% according to the last poll. Such a backwater!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29603/22/2013

R297 as an American who has lived in Australia I can tell you have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing you've contributed is remotely correct.

Whether we like it or not perhaps we need to start looking at our own situation, which isn't looking too spectacular, instead of pointing to a far away island and making outlandish and false accusations.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29703/23/2013

R298 is making it all up. Schools do in no way shape or form teach creationism. They teach evolution.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29803/23/2013

R298 is being sarcastic.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 29903/23/2013

[quote]Whether we like it or not perhaps we need to start looking at our own situation, which isn't looking too spectacular, instead of pointing to a far away island and making outlandish and false accusations.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30003/23/2013

Sarcasm fail for r296/r298. Of course what is stated here and other similar threads (seen the German one?) are generalisations. We are well aware there are Frenchmen who are not rude, Germans who are not anal retentive and Italians who are not mama's boys. Heck, some New Yorkers are actually quite polite and friendly and you'll find some intellectual people in Los Angeles who'd much rather read a book than watch the Kardashians. But you can't deny the fact many of these stereotypes have basis in fact.

What other country r296 has described its entire indigenous population as part of the flora and fauna?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30103/23/2013

This thread is about Australia r302. There are plenty of other threads for American self-criticism.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30203/23/2013

Also R299 - are you being serious?

I [bold]AM[/bold] Australian. I live in Australia.

This thread is filled with the most ridiculous made up garbage I thought I'd add some more! Of course none of it is correct but it's on par with many of the posts in this thread which actually do purport to being correct. It's called sarcasm and R299 is also being sarcastic just in case you didn't notice.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30303/23/2013

Sorry r297 I meant to address r289.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30403/23/2013

R296 It's not necessary hate (although in many cases it is and I feel the hate will be more in the future) A lot of Aussies don't like foreigners. They are suspicious, because they are so freaking isolated on their island that they don't want to adapt to other cultures and other ideas.

You may not agree with the culture think but you can't deny the idea thing. In many ways Australia is 30 years behind in many areas, because they are afraid of change, new things or ideas. Most of them just liked the country better when it was 1950. Life was easy, houses cheap, not crowded and no nosy outsiders had much interest in the shitty things that were going on in Australia.

Now all of a sudden all these outside people come and say "Oh hey we do it differently where I come from" Australians permanently get cold showers of reality about how behind they are. And they don't like it because in school all they were told is that Australia is the best country in the world.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30503/23/2013

R291 You stated: "there are a profusion of cajun and creole restaurants." That cuisine is form America, now where are the gourmet restaurants featuring meat pies, chikos and pavlovas?;)My family is from Oz and the food culture has gotten better than what it was 40 years ago(especially Melbourne where the Greeks and Italians really have done a great job marketing their cuisines) but Australia's "native" cuisine is hardly the stuff of a gourmand's wish list. And those dishes culinary heritage are shared with that culinary hell, the UK.

Many years ago Aussies didn't eat pizza or any type of foreign food but that has all changed. People are far become far more sophisticated in terms of food. also in Aussie food mags you don't see kosher salt used(I saw sea salt used instead) unlike in US mags which is inauthentic in 99 percent of the world's cuisines.Aussies might not have indigenous cuisine that rivals other New World countries like the US, Mexico and Brazil but they are not a culinary backwater anymore.

I keep on hearing on how Aussies are rednecks etc so on.Most people in Oz don't live in the outback they live in urban areas. Unlike the Midwest and the South in America, the ratio of rubes to sophisticated people is low.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30603/23/2013

It may not be as bad as many think, but honestly I was shocked when many Aussies at my work diluted wine with tab water and nibbled chips with the tab wine. One guy proudly explained to me the many many varieties of chips they have in their country. I was often invited over for dinner and a salad of lettuce leaves, tomatoes and cucumber without a vinaigrette was served. Ground coffee is pretty much unknown, most people drink instant.

You can't help it but sometimes it is just too funny.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30703/23/2013

Who are these people R309? Where are the from? I have never met anyone at all who waters down wine. Never. You have many more chips than we do in Australian supermarkets. Lettuce salads like the one you describe are from the seventies. How old are these people?

That's completely and utterly untrue about drinking instant coffee. Completely untrue. No-one with any taste drinks it. Australia has excellent coffee - one of the reasons Starbucks failed so badly here.

I live in Melbourne and I have never met any of these people that you are talking about. Even though I am Australian, I just don't recognise the Australia that you guys are talking about. I don't see this with the people I come into contact with.

Interestingly, whenever I have visited country areas of Australia I have always been warmly accepted and well treated when they know I'm gay.

You must be basing your judgement of all Australian's on a few weirdo that you have come across. Someone who puts water in wine is a weirdo.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30803/23/2013

R310 OK, another story I am sure you also will deny. Many coffee places serve Vienna Coffee. Wile I was pointing out to the guy that I do not understand what Vienna Coffee is, as I have been there many times and Coffee is such a cultural thing over there that they have names like Melange, Cafe Pompadour, Cherry (Coffee with a dash of cherry brandy) Short, Long, Flip and, and, and for it and there is just no thing as Vienna Coffee. He then in all seriousness tried to explain to me that this is the way they drink coffee in Vienna. Needless to mention that the coffee was pretty shit.

People like to make up things to compensate for their culinary deficiency. And sorry I cant remember the story that the guy with the diluted wine was trying to sell to me.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 30903/23/2013

R309 Many Aussies drink espresso.They don't drink American/French Roast there.It was a ea drinking culture until the Italians brought espresso.And the coffee is pretty good in Australia. In the US, Americans drink coffee water in comparison. Oh and Starbucks sure ain't espresso, it's quite crappy.

R310 Starbucks failed because Aussies don't drink watered down coffee. Espresso uses better quality beans than US styled coffee.Usually Italian Americans or Hispanics drink espresso it never caught on with the general public here because we already drank some form of coffee. Moreover we had some type of coffee consumption that was prevalent so espresso hasn't become mainstream in the US.

Having family there has helped me see a very positive view of Aussies. As R310 has stated ,I don't recognize these people at all.It's like meeting someone in Alabama and saying that all Americans are rednecks!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31003/23/2013

R311. I didn't deny anything. I simply stated that the Australia you describe doesn't exist in my experience of my country.

This guy sounds like a total weirdo moron. That doesn't mean the rest of us are though. Vienna coffee is a style of making the coffee. Everybody knows that.

We don't want him back either by they way. He sounds perfect for you. You keep him.

And regardless of what he might have told you - I have never ever met one person who mixes wine with water in Australia or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31103/23/2013

R313 In certain parts of the world people do mix water with wine!However I've never seen it in Oz.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31203/23/2013

Also R312 - I didn't want to say anything bad about your coffee but yes that's the reason Starbucks failed here. It's bad coffee.

It's 3.12 am here. Off to bed!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31303/23/2013

R312 I grew up in New York I drank espresso growing up so I know better.It depends where you are in the States.I even drank Greek coffee in Astoria ,Queens as well.My family left Australia before they accepted things from Italians and Greeks so at that time Australians rarely if ever drank coffee!And it is nearly impossible to find French roast in Australia which is a sad as well.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31403/23/2013

It was a tea drinking culture until the Italians brought espresso.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31503/23/2013

[quote]I was shocked when many Aussies at my work diluted wine with tab water

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31603/23/2013

There are a couple dozen Starbucks in Australia. If many stores failed due to their poor planning, well, that is true all over the world. But the coffee they use is certainly far superior to Australia's, being from Jamaica and Hawaii and miles better than the beans Australia was used to.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31703/23/2013

I am Australian, and a university lecturer. This thread is just a joke. The country is no more racist than any other anda great deal less than many.

Yes the country did have a white Australia policy, back in the day when we were run by a bunch of white fascists which is why we got rid of them and the policies.

It is also considered extremely impolite to identify people by race here. Did you Americans who come in and tell all you stories know that? Do you realise asking such questions is going to get you a facetious answer? Like asking a person how much they earn or what religion they are.

When there are race issues they are reported, mostly because they are fairly rare.

As for food and coffee what you don't seem to understand is that we don't like American food and coffee. Who would? Its disgusting. There is a very strong restaurant culture but based around authentic national foods, not the made up mess that passes for Asian and Middle East food in the USA (I've just come back. Couldn't find a decent meal in a month.) In America you can't even get a Chinese restaurant the differentiates between Mandarin and Cantonese food. Or proper Indian food, just curry powder thrown on meat.

Over 40% of the population (the whole population, not just European descent have tertiery education.

What do you people do, come into the country spend a weeekend hanging around King's Cross sex shops and a weekend on the concrete jungle on the Gold COast and claim you know Aussies.

You're idiots who believe every outrageous joke people like to tell gullible Americans, and by people I mean all AUstralians including the ones who were not born in Europe.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31803/23/2013

R320, Australians don't use the possessive s for place names. It's Kings Cross - not King's Cross.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 31903/23/2013

Oops not anymore. Starbucks now sources its coffee from Colombia, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, wherever....

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32003/23/2013

[quote]The country is no more racist than any other anda great deal less than many.

r320. Let's do a side-by-side comparison of non-white Australians and Americans who hold high office or have become high achievers. Can we start with Australia's version of a Sonia Sotomayor, Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Oprah Winfrey or even a Beyonce? Let's first leave the Barack Obamas out of this.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32103/24/2013

Australia will be voting another white fascist and misogynist in the upcoming election.

Mandarin is the official language in China, not a way of cooking.

Kings Cross is mainly full of drunken Aussies, hardly any migrants go there, because as a woman you have to dress up like a cheap hooker and as a male you need to display disgusting macho behaviour.

Race issues are not rare in Australia.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32203/24/2013

[quote]When there are race issues they are reported, mostly because they are fairly rare.

Another thing Australians lack is self-awareness.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32303/24/2013

I've enjoyed wonderful visits to Sydney, Hobart, Adelaide, Albany, Perth, and Fremantle. The people are warm and friendly. The scenery is spectacular. Not once did I ever come across any reference to Heath Ledger. That's a good thing.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32403/24/2013

[quote]Aussies are not that racist towards African Americans. Africans perhaps BUT not Black Americans.

LOL. Weird because an obviously racist white guy just told me he doesn't mind Africans, it's the American blacks he has a problem with. Only an Aussie wouldn't realise how racist such a statement is. Like American whites are more tolerable than Europeans.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32503/28/2013

Interesting new movie about a 60s Aboriginal girl group modelled on the Supremes. It's being compared to 'Dreamgirls'.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32603/29/2013

I bet Australian news stations and government put out an alert that Americans are posting about their country. Australians are so pathetic in their need for attention.

Parents are opening up cans of Fosters for their children and putting shrimp on the barbi due to the excitement. If the thread gets to 400 , a national holiday will be declare. It will be more important than Christmas!

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32703/29/2013

What's with all the posts about Heath Ledger? I swear I scrolled by one a few weeks ago wondering if he would be a good pope.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32803/29/2013

R323, I would suggest you consider the number of Native Americans who have reached positions of influence in the United States.

There are significant issues facing Australia's indigenous peoples, but the issues are incredibly similar to indigenous peoples everywhere. It's to the shame of all post-colonial countries that we don't do more to improve things.

I think both Americans and Australians should agree that we have particularly bad histories when it comes to those who were here first.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 32903/29/2013

R327 Where did this Aussie tell you this her in the US? A lot of Australians are not happy with black African immigration as they associate them with crime. African Americans are seen in a better light because of the American music scene and Hollywood. Jazz singer Johnny Hartman went to live in OZ at one point.

R331 There are people in the US that have Native American blood like "white and black people" so it could include a wide range of people. People are not being ashamed of being part Indian in the Us ,you'll hear stars freely admit to their NA heritage.I will say that what happened to the Aboriginals in OZ in the recent past with some of their problems with a certain PM and his racism against them wouldn't have happened here in the States.Once again Aussies are less likely to be politically correct than Americans as well.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33003/29/2013

None of what you have posted is true R332.

None of it and it's not even worth trying to explain.

Same for you @ R327, R325 & R324 and that's just this page.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33103/30/2013

[quote]A lot of Australians are not happy with black African immigration as they associate them with crime.

LOL r332. You show your own prejudice by making it seem like there is a black African problem in Australia when, in truth, they form a tiny, insignificant part of the immigrant population. Read posts like r102 upthread, please. Most immigrants are Arab, Asian, South Asian or white South African. There is very little black immigration. It's not like Australia was a colonial power like France or Britain and is now being overwhelmed by immigrants from the former African colonies.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33203/31/2013

R320 A group of Asian tourists have been subjected to a racist rant on a Sydney bus that was filmed and posted online by a female passenger.

Heidi, who asked for her surname to be withheld, pulled out her phone and started filming the latter part of the rant on Easter Sunday after she told the abusive man to get off the bus to no avail.

In the video, a Caucasian man yells at a middle-aged man and woman of Korean appearance about the Japanese bombing of Australia during World War II and calls the pair "f---ing bastards" Before the camera started rolling, the man yelled racist taunts such as, "Do you f---ing speak English?", "Japanese c---s" and "why did you come to Australia?", predominantly at the woman, Heidi said.

The racist rant shocked Heidi, a 30- year-old office worker of Chinese descent, so she and another passenger told the man to get off the bus and started filming. However, she said she was even more shocked at what came next. "We didn't receive any support from the other passengers," she said. "Some told us to sit back down and be quiet and everyone just looked really blase. No one did anything about it. In fact, two girls sitting next to me thought it was funny and burst into laughter." "I said 'why is it funny? It's offensive, we should do something about it'." She said the two women who laughed at her, one of whom can be heard on the video speaking to a friend on the phone, were of Aboriginal appearance.

"The fact that the Aboriginal girls found it funny that a white male [was] telling another racial group to get out of the country because they don't belong here really puts the icing on the cake," she said.

The incident happened at 7.30pm on Easter Sunday at Town Hall on the 470 route from Circular Quay to Lilyfield. The State Transit Authority has been contacted for comment. Heidi said she didn't see what provoked the man to start abusing the Asian tourists but it started midway down the bus and continued as the man got up and alighted at the front. At one point, the Asian man apologised to the abusive man in an attempt to pacify him but it only seemed to further enrage him. "The only thing I could think of at the time was to film it," Heidi said. The incident is the latest in a string of racist rants on public transport to be filmed or shared on social media. In February, ABC newsreader Jeremy Fernandez tweeted about being called a "black c---" who should "go back to his country" by a female passenger on a Sydney bus. He was told by the bus driver to move seats but refused to. In November, footage of a racist attack on a French woman on a Melbourne bus went viral after she was called a dog by male passengers, threatened with having her breasts cut off and told to "speak English or die". In March, a video filmed on a Perth bus showed a woman verbally abusing another woman, who she refers to as Chinese, for speaking in another language. Heidi said she had seen a viral video of the Melbourne incident and felt like the scene she witnessed on Sunday was the "Sydney sequel". "It felt really surreal," she said. "It upsets me when Asians (or any other racial groups for that matter) are the targets of racist abuse. But it disgusts me more when we get told we shouldn't stand up for what's right."

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33303/31/2013

You were saying, r320?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33404/01/2013

Man who stood up to bus racism told to accept abuse.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33504/02/2013

Aussies are not all backward yokels. Interesting, insightful article on the hypocrisy of a black Mss Israel that also mentions American racial profiling despite having a black president. The comments are interesting as well.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33604/02/2013

R332 and R334 That population is small true BUT I've talked to family members there and they are not happy with that small minority. Especially some of the gang violence there from the Sudanese.Not to mention some of the problems have with Tanzanians. That's not to say that every Aussie is a racist BUT they are more honest about their feelings than Americans.

One example remember when there was an ad for bricklayers and it basically said No Irish Need Apply. It was because a lot of these Irish workers were not skilled in bricklaying and claimed they were. As racist as that was, Oz still has anti-discrimination laws that prevent such behavior as well.

R325 That's one incident. An Aussie might say it in public BUT a racist American would say it in an interview calling Mexicans "wetbacks!"The aboriginal girls were laughing? Good on them they've had enough shit flung on them!

R338 I agree.Not everybody lives in the so-called Outback drinking Fosters and calling people Lebs and Abos as well. There are certainly people like that but I wouldn't call them the majority at all. Then again Americans in the South no matter how racist they were/are were forced to integrate school wise with black folks.In a lot of cases you'll find that a white southerner in the US has more friendships and interactions with African Americans than a Northerner might.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33704/02/2013

Do they have gay marriage?

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33804/06/2013

r337, are those few immigrants responsible for most of the gang violence in Australia? I doubt it.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 33907/30/2013

What a stupid thread, full of gross generalisations. Never read a bigger load of Tommy rot

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 34007/30/2013

"Not every country can produce such wildly talented person."

Actually, no. Every country can produce wildly talented people; and with few if any exceptions, have done so many times.

by Heath Ledger's #1 Fanreply 34107/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!