Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Soapdish

This movie is a blast. I don't care what anyone says. Perfect cast, great lines.

Sally Field should have been oscar nominated as Celeste. I love the fact that she sends up her weeping "You like me" image and does it brilliantly.

I don't know if Patty Duke would have brought the same humor and pathos to the role.

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013

I think we've found our waiter!

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

"Actors don't like to play coma. They feel it limits their range."

Love this movie. The cast was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

You know what that means? It means he doesn't have a head. How am I supposed to write for a guy who doesn't have a head?

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

Celeste Talbert: Ohhh, there's so many people to thank. First of all, my fabulous supporting cast, who gives a new meaning to the word "support"...

Ariel Maloney: Bitch!

David Barnes: Hag!

Montana Moorehead: I hate her so much!

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

Love RDJr's constant changes of glasses, and everything else about this movie.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

It was a good find on cable at the time, but I don't think it's aged that well. I didn't enjoy it much the last few times I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

One of my all time favs.

"why dont you just put me in a walker? Buy a god damn walker and Put me in it!"

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

I love how she goes to malls to feel the love by her fans.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

"give them my best in Paramus"

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

It's a crutch! It's crutch!

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

"Celeste Talbert is a menopausal hag. We want more Montana."

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

I really enjoyed Soapdish. It lampooned the soaps perfectly. Sally Field and Kevin Kline actually had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

Her brain will laterally explore!

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

It's the poor man's "Tootsie"!

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

David Barnes: She's got a lot of spirit.

Lori Craven: She's a deranged bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

The wave machine should have been nominated for something.

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

This movie is truly fucking funny. Not every film has to be a great work of art, and Meryl is not the only actress that can do busy comedy.

Sally Field is a riot and the cast is great. Teri Hatcher, what a beauty she was then and RDJ too.

It's pretty broad, like a two hour Carol Burnett sketch, but I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

The girl who played Montana Moorehead was the weakest link.

Actually, Elizabeth Shue was the weakest link. She hasn't a funny bone in her body.

It says so much for the film that it worked so well with these two deadbeats.

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

I have an old issue of Entertainment Weekly from 1990 and d in their news & notes section it says that Madonna has signed on with Sally Field and Kevin Kline for the soap opera satire Soapdish, production is expected to begin after she wraps up her Blond Ambition Tour. I think it was for the Cathy Moriarty role, what happened?

by Anonymousreply 1902/11/2013

"You have beautiful eyes.

Oh, they're nothing compared to my tits!"

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

[quote]The girl who played Montana Moorehead was the weakest link.

Are you insane? Cathy Moriarty was fucking brilliant and deserved an Oscar nomination.

Montana Moorehead: YOU - promised me you would get rid of Celeste. WE WERE BOTH NAKED AND YOU PROMISED! NAKED!

David Barnes: Hey! We were never naked.

Montana Moorehead: Well, we could have been!

by Anonymousreply 2102/11/2013

Wasn't this film inspired by backstage antics at Dynasty? I feel like I read that somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2202/11/2013

"Kapfgeschlagen" was my first post ever to make it to "Recently on Datalounge" (or whatever it was called), the precursor to Wit & Wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

Thanks to you guys I just watched this. Teri Hatcher was so pretty and sexy then. Her character as the doctor with huge hair and skin tight dresses had me cracking up though. She's ruined her looks by staying too thin and surgery. What happened to Cathy Moriarty?

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

[quote]Wasn't this film inspired by backstage antics at Dynasty? I feel like I read that somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me. Aaron Spelling produced "Soapdish."

That said, Celeste Talbot is clearly supposed to be Susan Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

Kopfgeschlagen.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

It's the last stage of brain fever she could BLOW AT ANY MOMENT!

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

I still think that the scene with Kevin Kline at the dinner theater in Florida is hysterical and incredibly honest. The old people whizzing around in their mobility scooters, spilling coffee...hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

Patty Duke? I loathed that bitch while we were shooting 'Valley of the Dolls'

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

I haven't seen Soapdish in many years but this thread makes me want to watch it again. I think I'll stream it tonight. I loved the scene in the mall where Whoopi makes a fuss over Sally so all the shoppers will notice her and give her attention. I wonder if celebrities really do that in real life?

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

You're an actress! How nice for you. I'm Betsy Faye Sharon, and I'm a bitch. Now get out of here.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

David, could you please tell our new costume designer that I don't feel quite right in a TURBAN. What I feel like is Gloria Fucking Swanson. Am I seventy, David? Am I seventy? Why don't you put me in a walker? Buy a GODDAMNED WALKER and put me in it!

Attention, everyone: No turbans for Miss Talbert.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

She has more lines than I do and she's a GOD DAMN MUTE!

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

Sally Field is so funny in this movie. She and Kevin Kline together have brilliant comedic timing. The scene where he doesn't have his glasses or contacts on and she has to keep correcting his misreading of the words on the teleprompter is hilarious--her facial expressions just kill me every time.

Jeffrey: At the current rate of inflation, her brain will laterally explore the...

Celeste: Literally explode?

Jeffrey: Exactly, within the next three houses.

Celeste: Hours?

Jeffrey: Yes, will literally explode within next three hours. I would suggest leaving the restraint.

Celeste: Restaurant?

Jeffrey: Restaurant, yes.

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

[quote]I don't care what anyone says.

What? Its a well-liked movie, OP. You're not going against the grain here.

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2013

Do you remember what happened on "Bold and the Brash" when they made Tiffani become incontinent?!?!

The main cast is all Oscar winners or nominees: Field, Klein, Goldberg (winners), RDJ, Moriarty, Shue (nominees) plus a very funny Gary Marshall and Carrie Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2013

Dear Angelique.... Dear Angelique.... Dear Angelique...

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2013

I believe it got great reviews when it was released.

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2013

I haven't watched Soapdish in many years, but I always thought it was friggin' HILARIOUS! I was a teen of the '80s, who was REALLY into soaps....so just the idea that they brought back a character who had been DECAPITATED, sent me into hysterics. "The man has no HEAD!". It played into all those soap-tropes and cliches.......and the cast was just fucking brilliant!!

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

WHET to Cathy Moriarty? She was a damn good actress who was great at comedy and totally gorgeous. I wish she'd been bigger.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

She went to live in a sanitarium in Tierra Del Fuego.

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

No mention of Spandex clan as Bolt?

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

One of my favorite things about "Soapdish" is the score by Alan Silvestri. He composed that great crazy mambo over the credits, but he also did that hilariously cheesy swelling music for all the cues for "The Sun Also Sets" that makes me laugh just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

"Excuse me, may I join you? I'm Lori Craven, the homeless mute."

"You speak beautifully for a mute, please."

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

Before she came to our little clinic she vas... Milton Moorehead of Syosset, Long Island. Hello!

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

She has more lines than me and she's a GOD. DAMNED. MUTE!

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

And of course, "Bolt" went on to direct and star as John Galt in Atlas Shrugged. Oy!

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

What a great thread - positive , polite, enthusiastic and adult! No bitching, unfunny put downs etc. Add my vote for this funny, feel good film.

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

I would have loved to see Patty Duke in the role that was written for her. Why she eventually didnt get it I dont know. Does anyone know what happened?

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

I was just thinking about this the other day, and whatever happened to Cathy Moriarty.

It's no great film by any stretch, but it has plenty of laughs and great lines. I remember thinking Sally Field must have studied Susan Lucci, because there are a few times where she is really channeling Erica Kane.

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2013

Paul Johansson was at the zenith of his hotness in this

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2013

Let's give her Bell's palsy!

by Anonymousreply 5202/11/2013

Okay, I had to see what Kathy Moriarty is doing now. She was always fabulous, and as she always seemed mature even when she was young, I didn't think aging would hurt her career.

She still makes occasional TV and film appearances, but not many. I suspect that's because she had three children around the age of forty, who are entering their early teens. Maybe she's got better things to do than act.

by Anonymousreply 5302/11/2013

Cathy Moriarty was excellent in "But I'm a Cheerleader"

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2013

Yes this was one of the funniest camp comedies ever.

Everyone was perfect in the roles - perfectly cast and perectly acted. I disagree with the other poster - Cathy Moriarty was perfect.

I'll watch it again tonight.

by Anonymousreply 5502/12/2013

[quote]It's no great film by any stretch, but it has plenty of laughs and great lines. I remember thinking Sally Field must have studied Susan Lucci, because there are a few times where she is really channeling Erica Kane.

It's no great film by any stretch? What the fuck do you consider a great film or are you just dismissing it because it's a comedy. To a lot of people, this great cast, big laughs and great lines equals a great film.

by Anonymousreply 5602/12/2013

Cathy Moriarty was so good that when we were leaving the theater, the woman in front of me said "I knew that tall blonde was really a man."

by Anonymousreply 5702/12/2013

It's a really limp spoof of the jandra. It could have been so much sharper. Very lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 5802/12/2013

r58

Did it make you laugh? Are there not enough charming performances and some hilarious ones to please for a simple night?

Don't be contrary. This is a fun movie.

You know this much is true.

by Anonymousreply 5902/12/2013

[quote] It's a really limp spoof of the jandra

The WHAT?

Or did you mean "genre?"

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

My favorite line is when Sally is going to have a brain transplant and Kevin Kline says "You could die" and then Cathy Moriarty says "They could both die"

Perfect line reading. I think Cathy steals the picture for sure

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

[quote]The WHAT?

[quote]Or did you mean "genre?"

He/she meant jandra. It's a reference to an American Idol contestant from years ago who pronounced the word as jandra. It was funny and we posted about it endlessly on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

Cathy was brilliant. The weakest link was Elizabeth Shue.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

Ready for the musical? They're writing it

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

I watched it on Netflix streaming last night -- hadn't seen it in many years.

Sally Field was very funny, as was Kevin Kline in the dinner theater stuff.

I'd forgotten about the bizarre set direction, as well as the fact that the last half of the movie involved everyone SCREAMING his and her lines (many of which were quite good).

Also the product placement: Pepsi, Dannon Yogurt, and, surprisingly, cigarettes -- which didn't have anything to do with the plot or characters.

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

Thanks for the reminder. Bought it yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 6602/13/2013

I also just streamed Soapdish because of this thread and I agree with all the other comments. I'd like to add how amazingly 80s the styles and set design still were the very early 1990s. I'd kind of forgotten about wardrobes that were all bold primary colors. And of course the giant hairdos on all the women.

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2013

"The contessa should be kidnapped by some colored guys."

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2013

R64 We need to start making casting suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 6902/13/2013

I love Sally at the beginning in her closet when she realizes her lover has left and she tightens her body and does a full splat onto the ottoman.

by Anonymousreply 7002/13/2013

Patti LuPone and Kevin Kline, r69. Laura Benanti in the Elizabeth Shue role.

And what is this, the 3rd adaptation of a Whoopi Goldberg film?

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.