Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People just like to put down Americans

[quote]People just like to put down Americans, no matter the circumstances.

Someone posted this statement in another thread.

So why is this the case?

by Anonymousreply 11503/09/2013

Do they?

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Its not so much as put America down its more about laughiing at how stupid America can be. Because many Americans that make the headlines are for most part insular and parochial and think the world revolves around them. Because America has stupid gun laws and many Americans believe this is a good thing. Because many Americans have no concept of Other cultures and what value they add to the global community. I am surel this list will grow.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

When I travel outside the U.S., I find myself wishing that more people wanted to go down.

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

We deserve to be put down. Let's face it, half the country - the Republican/Tea Party half - is certifiably insane and vile.

We've thrown our weight around the world for decades. There was a time when we were unquestionably the "good guys" - but not for at least twenty or more years. And in the last decade, we've really become villains.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

[quote]our system gives much more freedom to its citizens verses other nations

That's a fallacy, and has been for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

No one said the Middle East and parts of Africa, asshole at 9. You said a generalization "versus other nations," and as a generalization, that is simply not true.

Then you try to get specific. Specifically, country by country, it's either true or not. But that's not what you set up in your earlier post.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

[quote] In contrast, American people are not angles when they travel

What are they at home? Reflex? Obtuse? Acute?

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

Because in general Americans are seen as stupid, yet arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

Because Americans are epitomized by the likes of crass, vulgar, self-important trailer trash like Gov. Chris Crisco.

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

[quote]that our system gives much more freedom to its citizens verses other nations, on and on.

This is oft repeated by Americans yet untrue. Other countries are just as free as we are. They can worship whom they like, go out and criticize the government if they want, etc. The ability to go out and buy a small armory is not "freedom".

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

People project their own insecurities and the problems they see in their own society on a convenient target.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

[quote]In contrast, American people are not angles when they travel... America is hated because this nation dose not follow the rest of the world's cookie cutter systems.

You type like a Brit.

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

R16. He types like an American

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

No, r17 , hr SPELLS like an American. His typing is fine.

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

To be honest I used to put down Americans because I was very fearful my own nation would go blindly down the American path. I remember the endless lectures about how great America was because they didn't have any inefficient public enterprises and kept their unions in place. If only we could be ruggedly individualistic and entrepeurial like Americans we'd be as wealthy and blah-de-blah-de-dah.

Of course it was complete bullshit, just our 1% wishing they had it as easy as America's 1% and tring to con the rest of us to give up our rights to collective bargaining.

by Anonymousreply 1902/11/2013

R4 / R5 just proved why you're such easy targets.

"our government like their countries, that our system gives much more freedom to its citizens verses other nations, on and on."

"no nation on earth has come to the aid to other nations in war and in turmoil like the United States"

The arrogance and ignorance clearly go hand in hand here, but are no less astounding.

Multiple surveys, recently even seen here on DL, show that in the field of human rights and freedoms, the U.S. is NOT number 1. Canada and many nations in Europe and South America are not only more free when it comes to liberties, but bind themselves to human rights charters. This is not only for social rights, but transparency in government, respecting the free flow of information and equality.

Of course, like a typical American, R7 comes back and compares the rest of the world to the Middle East.

As for the claim that "no nation" has helped the world more than the U.S., this of course is another distortion. Nations all over the world offer troops to international relief efforts, higher in proportion than Americans do to international relief efforts, as American troops are often committed to protecting "American interests abroad". Thus, nations like Sweden and Denmark have higher proportions of soldiers devoted to international aid.

There is one that the U.S. excels at: declaring itself "the Greatest Nation on Earth", even though in every global survey, on matters relating to health, human rights, equality, etc., the U.S. does not rank #1, nor did it event many of the innovations it claims that make it allegedly the greatest nation on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

I knew a Peruvian family in the north east who lived here permanently, but loved to talk about how much better Peru is than the US, it's hard to even type that without laughing! Do you know what a shithole Peru is?! Good lord, meanwhile, here they are, enjoying all America has to offer. Jealousy is a bitch, and so are Peruvians.

by Anonymousreply 2202/11/2013

Not really true R23. I do believe that the British and its allies would have won without us. The war may have lasted longer but the Brits, with Russian help, would have won. Hitler was totally shit house crazy by then and his little empire was imploding.

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

Well said R20 and R24.

The worst part about it is that Americans have been brainwashed into believing all the hype and cannot see how ignorant and arrogant they come across.

Many Americans are encapsulated here. I was terrified to leave the USA (except for Canada) until the internet exploded and I started to frequent message boards with members from all over the world. I had expressed my fears of being hated and attacked and jailed in other countries for just being American. I was basically laughed at and told "that's ridiculous, your government wants you to believe that but in reality it's your government that everyone hates. Be respectful of other nations and cultures and you won't have any problems."

I want to visit Europe but I'm still afraid :(

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

Um, visit R25 if you want. Europeans just don't come up trashing American tourists for no reason.

America is a easy target because it is the wealthiest and most influential nation. It is also incredibly jingoistic in its culture which turns many people off.

Every modern Western nation has its pluses and minuses,as would be expected. But yeah, there are many that consistently rank higher in quality of life than the US. The fact that people here go bankrupt over health issues is a real problem and inconceivable to the rest of the western world.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

germany is much better than the us!

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

R25 thank you.

As a European, I can tell you that you have little to fear about coming here (Sweden, in particular). Our TV is mostly American and British TV to fill all the channels we have.

You will find many people who are uninformed about the U.S., and that you have to be patient in how you respond, but most are fascinated, and many people who will admit that there are elements about the U.S. (and the U.K.) that make the idea of visiting there a pleasure.

For most of us, the difference is that we went through our own periods of deluding ourselves that our nations (or "empires") were the greatest on earth in one regard or another, and then we were humbled.

It's also easier for us to quickly visit another culture. I can be in most Western European countries in a matter of hours. People who live in the U.S. seem, at least to use, more insulated and more uninformed because of this fact. The news media has made it worse. When I visited, I rarely saw news about Europe, even though your news cycles could easily sacrifice some of the round the clock coverage about the scandal of the day or the storm of the century to see what is going on elsewhere.

So visit and share. That's what keeps us all informed and less sure we're the greatest on earth.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

r21 is clearly not in the top 1%.

Do tell us which Americans are in the top 1% of creativity and intellect.

And here's a tip: if you pick a topic like literature or classical music you can't pretend to answer the question without actual comparison to the work achieved elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

Meanwhile, switching to a similar topic: Girls just wanna have fun.

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

Why not, the USA is like a reality show gone awry.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

As for the claim that "no nation" has helped the world more than the U.S., this of course is another distortion. Nations all over the world offer troops to international relief efforts, higher in proportion than Americans do to international relief efforts, as American troops are often committed to protecting "American interests abroad". Thus, nations like Sweden and Denmark have higher proportions of soldiers devoted to international aid.

There is one that the U.S. excels at: declaring itself "the Greatest Nation on Earth", even though in every global survey, on matters relating to health, human rights, equality, etc., the U.S. does not rank #1, nor did it event many of the innovations it claims that make it allegedly the greatest nation on Earth.

R20, I have relatives in Europe and in South America, which some dealt with poverty in the past. You are complete full of shit! The wealthy in Euproe and in so many other countries, don’t give a rat’s ass about the poor. They believe if you are poor, that is your own dam problem! The wealthy in America have many flaws, and yes there are many, who are corrupt, but there are also many who believe in giving back to society because they were once down and out. They create charities, they give to countless charities, there are many who leave money to charities in their wills, and so many are involved with programs that help others and animals.

Also, presidents like Roosevelt started social security, welfare programs, and many other programs. Kennedy who started the Peace Core, to go aboard to help others, Lyndon Johnson who played a role in the Civil Rights Movement, Jimmy Carter who Started Habitat for Humanity. BTW, go to Normandy and check out the thousands of graves of American service men who gave their lives up never to see their homes and families again to stop Hitler! Where I live, there are cemeteries that contain enormous hills covered with myriads of head stones of service men who have died in just World War 2 alone, not including World War 1, Korea, Vietnam, the Iraq war. Also, those graves do not include the women who served as nurses who many were brutally rapped and murdered in Asia in World War 2, and the nurses who perished in Europe as well.

If everything was and is so much better in the world than the United States, why do we have a long history that continues today, of thousands of people from abroad who are trying to immigrate to the US? People flee many other nations because of the oppression that they have suffered and the lack of freedom and opportunities that America has to offer and still doses. America offered a new life, which didn’t, and still doesn’t, matter what class you come from, nor who you are because you can work towards acquiring an education, start a business, and grow, and transform yourself. So many people that have immigrated to America who became successful have said they could never have become successful, and have had the opportunities anywhere else but America.

BTW, people who are so called old money in America, started as immigrants in America with previous occupations as servants, indentured servants, oppressed in the pogroms in Russia, strong European class oppression, which your choices being born in a poor family meant becoming a servant, or other low level work and staying there in that place for the rest of your life because the highly tight knit European aristocrats would not let you grow. Again, the history of the old money in America, left behind those stagnate positions that they were born into, and found a haven which gave them boundless opportunities.

Also, America is the most stable democracy in the history of the world. Governments over the centuries have been toppled and new systems of government have been erected over the centuries. But the American government has been stable for over 230 years. The American Constitution and such systems of government as Checks and Balances, and Bill of Rights have solidified this nation maintaining a system of order and consistency.

My dad came from a nation that had a dictator and horrifying oppression. America is a nation that never fell into the hands of tyrannical dictators and monarchies that take taxpayer money because they are considered, “royalty”!!

Right! America is just a stupid nation that just created useless things like the computer, television, improved automobiles, airplanes, electricity, and went to outer Space numerous times and went on the moon, on and on. Oh! I forgot! So sorry! Sweden is much more advanced than the United States! Sweden has made major breakthroughs in dairy products! You’re so right! We don’t have a Constitution stating such rights as, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, to name a few, and we don’t have any rights to have a trial. American hasn’t evolved into a nation recognizing women’s right to vote and equality like other well advanced nations! Please! don’t pull the, American’s stomped on the Native Americans because Sweden is guilty of trying to get their grasp of the New World as well, which is now America, Sweden is guilty of atrocities such as the ruthlessness of the Vikings, which slaughtered thousands in Europe. Sweden was once involved in the slave trade in Ghana, Africa. So please! don’t even remotely act holier than thou! Right! We have never had any breakthroughs in the medical world and we are so backward that we have never done research on Cancer, AIDS, there are no American Cancer Societies, AMFAR for AIDS research, Saint Jude’s, etc. My aunt is a nurse and she can’t keep up with the constant change in technology that has been growing in improvements and breakthroughs in the medical world. Oh! Wait! That never happens because America doesn’t rank #1 with the ultra corrupt UN, and the global community in general who hates the United States with venom!

Yes, America isn’t a perfect nation, but there is no other nation on earth like America, and it doesn’t matter what you say because it is what it is! So screw off and go milk a cow!

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

1. There is a reason why Americans give more to charity, it's not because they care more about the poor. It's simply that they have no decent safety net, social security and healthcare. I have friends in America who have to sacrifice their time to create clinics where people can go and get a check-up for free. They do it because they think healthcare is a fundamental right.

2. It's called 'old money' for a reason, some may have started as servants but I think you'll find that's the minority.

3. Yes it is true that Americans helped in WW2 and the war was a lot shorter because of it. The fallacy that America won the war on it's own though should be put to rest. Three nations were at the Normandy beach landings and were very much their own separate operations. I need not remind you that America lost most of it's engagements alone, such as the Battle of the Kesserine Pass, where a half starved German Army beat a fully equipped American army in Tunisia. It was an ALLIED effort pure and simple.

4. The notion that America has had a stable 'democracy' for 230 years makes no bloody difference. Britain has had one since 1688, what do you want a medal? Also if we go for representative government as an idea, you can go back to 1215 or more accurately 1258 with the provisions of Oxford. By 'Democracy' I am talking about representative government, as we both know that Women and the poor were largely excluded from both (which makes America nothing special). If we take Ethnic minority votes, Britain is well ahead. Blacks have not been excluded for their race since 1772 when Slavery was deemed unlawful in the British isles (although still needing a property qualification). America on the other hand still asked black voters to guess how many bubbles in a bar of soap to be deemed eligible in some parts of the south.

5. This notion of Freedom is the most irritating and ridiculous point. Luckily this has been dealt with at length by other posters. Actually America comes below Suriname and Ghana in press Freedom. The fact that almost 1/30 people are controlled to some extent by judicial system, having their rights infringed should make you worry. America is so obsessed with locking people up it has been said recently you need to have a PhD in law to avoid being sent to prison for some trivial offence. As for other 'freedom' this is little different to any other countries, bar the ability to purchase weapons of warfare (which often impedes on other peoples freedom to life). As for general points on culture. When I'm in the states I find the obsession with rules and regulations stifling and rigid, people are terrified of putting a toe out of line in case the law goes down on them like a ton of bricks. The jingoism is ridiculous, the amount of flags always seems like a star spangled sledgehammer to the face.

America is not that free or special, it is like countless other countries. American exceptionalism is one of the greatest myths that needs to be shot down.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

R32 = classic example of the mindset of a brainwashed American

R28 thank you, I will definitely be visiting someday... I'm envious that you have so many different nations/cultures that are so accessible to you.

R33 agree with you completely. My biggest concern here in the US is the dumbing down of this country. Things have changed dramatically in our education system and NOT for the better. Now the schools don't want to teach writing (cursive). Many teachers are lazy and have terrible spelling/grammar. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

R25, you are very welcome in The Netherlands, too! We will show you around for a day. Just keep in mind that in our culture bragging is frowned upon, whether about personal status or your countries. Our national saying is actually: "Act normally, that's crazy enough".

Also, we completely agree with your concerns about the "dumbing down". In American comedy shows on television, the main characters are portrayed as relatively successful and intelligent people, yet they seem to do alarmingly stupid things. This of course gets the laughs, but also sends a message to viewers in the rest of the world: Americans are endearing, but not very smart. Of course we know different, but you as a country may want to think of the way you present yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

Oops, that should have been country's.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

Americans think they are in charge of the planet. A lot of empires thru history have felt the same way and where are they now?

buh bye......

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

British people love to criticize America/ Americans. A lot of countries do. I do understand why they do. They just hear the worst stories about Americans and think we're all like that. Up until the late 1990's a large majority of people in England, were still living deprived lives because of the war. England only paid back America for World War 2 when Tony Blair was leaving office. They also pay a lot in taxes (but they do have health care) which gives them less disposable income. They also didn't have the availability of cheap, substandard products from China like Americans think they are so lucky to have. I actually think they have better lives. I'd rather have health care and a more mellow way of life and more vacation time than a big old house full of stuff made in China and having to work 50 hours a week to pay for that house full of stuff and trying to outdo my neighbors for how much stuff I can own

I always have to laugh when hideous, crazy middle eastern countries (Syria, Egypt) get themselves into big trouble with their crazy leaders and then go to the media begging America for help. These same countries who got rid of their crazy dictator leaders (Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon) now have crazier, super hard line, fanatically religious new leaders. Congratulations, these countries have just stepped back 50 yrs in time. It's 2013 for most of the world, but might as well be 1913 for a lot of these countries

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

R32 You understand nothing. As an example you wrote: "The wealthy in Euproe and in so many other countries, don’t give a rat’s ass about the poor. "

Then why do European country's have such extensive social safety nets?

To the others:

I live in Europe. My experience is that Europeans, all Europeans, love and admire the intelligent and creative America.

They loathe the idiot America.

Just like most evolved Americans do too.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

Excuse the typos... was rushing.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

For the Brits on here and the Dutch lezzies. I'm half Dutch and Half British, second generation. If you want arrogant haughtiness, go to Holland. If you want smug superiority, go to England. But If you want to see a REAL bunch of freaking idiots, follow the Brits to Amsterdam on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

The hypocritical, 'morally outraged' lunatics give the USA a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2013

[quote] but you as a country may want to think of the way you present yourselves.

Yeah. I'll be more careful the next time I create a sitcom and send it to the Netherlands.

by Anonymousreply 4302/13/2013

The problem with the British is their women are notoriously unattractive just like Italians. Most bitter and jealous women I've ever come across.

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

Very true. I very much acknowledge that this country is flawed. But the knee-jerk put-downs of Americans by people across the globe are often unthinking and hypocritical. There are flaws everywhere and the hyper-focus on the flaws of the U.S. exposes an unwillingness on the part of many other peoples to examine themselves critically.

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013

[quote]America is just a stupid nation that just created useless things like the computer, television, improved automobiles, airplanes, electricity

Oh my God, you're just embarrassing yourself here. The only thing from this list Americans can lay claim to originating is "improved automobiles," as, yes, the process of building cars was drastically improved by Henry Ford (although the automobile was invented by Benz in Germany). The rest were invented, or discovered, by Europeans.

It's this kind of gross stupidity, arrogance and undeserved jingoism that arouses irritation in the rest of the world, and is it any wonder?

by Anonymousreply 4602/13/2013

The Canadians LOVE us. Gordie Sinclair wrote this in 1973:

"...This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Who rushed in with men and money to help?

The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped. The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans. I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes. Come on... let's hear it!

Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 107? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or women on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are breaking Canadian laws..are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here. When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?

I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians.

And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke. This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-over… has taken it all and nobody...but nobody has helped."

by Anonymousreply 4702/13/2013

There are threads like this everyday now on the DL, America vs. Country of Continent X, and it always turns into an embarrassing nationalist dick measuring contest.

by Anonymousreply 4802/13/2013

[quote]Oh my God, you're just embarrassing yourself here. The only thing from this list Americans can lay claim to originating is "improved automobiles,...

REALLY? Who invented the Television. Who discovered electricity? Who invented the computer?

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2013

R49, Alessandro Volta (Italian) discovered electricity, Alan Turing (English) is now largely credited with inventing the computer and John Logie Baird (Scottish) invented the television.

by Anonymousreply 5002/13/2013

R48 well observed, and the dick measuring continues. On another thread I did ask why the US still thinks it rules the world. It can have atom bombs, but damn anyone else who wants them. The US "warns" the UK not to keave the EU. Really ? Things so peachy-keen at home guys? This is your business how ??For a long time Rome ruled the world, now look. Then Britain ruled. Now look. Now its time for the US to step down. That said, I have met many charming and intelligent people from the US, and I still enjoy visiting my friends.

by Anonymousreply 5102/13/2013

R52 you are about 20 or 30 years behind the times.

Europeans don't care anymore about being "influenced" by American entertainment and popular culture. It's a global pop culture now and the US does not own it.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

R38, you might want to bone up on your Cold War/recent Middle East history to see who's responsible for all those batshit dictators...

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

[quote]When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them.

This is exactly what I hate about America. We will rebuild their rail, but not our own.

We will pay for Israel's socialized medicine, but not our own.

We will give food aid worldwide and let our own starve.

We love to be big heroes but hate to help our brothers at home.

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

R53 Origin makes no difference today. None.

As an example: modern reality trash television started in Europe with Big Brother. Does it matter to anyone where it started? Of course not. It's a global phenomenon.

American Idol is a spin off of the the UKs Pop Idol. Does anyone care? Of course not.

It's the same with clothing, styles, music, is all global. No one cares if a trend starts in the US or Japan or Europe.

No one specifically looks to the US today for inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 5702/14/2013

My post was directed to R54.

by Anonymousreply 5802/14/2013

If you want to see why people put Americans down, it's all here on this thread. They are so self-assertive, and yet have so little self-awareness to back it up (I particularly loved the guy who was prepared to go into battle on the proposition that Americans invented the computer, the television and the airplane). Taken as a whole America, far from being "exceptional", is a bit dull and parochial; its self-esteem largely dependent on it's own inward-looking self-obsession.

Of course there are things that America has done very well at, and a few it has even invented. Although it wasn't an American who invented the computer or the internet, it has been mainly Americans who turned computing into the consumer phenomenon it is today. Some aspects of the global financial system have largely been invented in the US. The Hollywood entertainment complex is another good example. But as a very broad generalisation, America's talent has mainly been to turn other people's ideas to practical, populist, money-making applications.

I will also say this: on the whole America has been a relatively benign super-power. Middle America is a genuinely moral nation, and that has kept its government in check.

But really, some Americans, including some posters on this thread, have got to get out more and read more if they don't want to get laughed at.

by Anonymousreply 5902/14/2013

America-bashing is so tired. Mostly done by eldergays who have vacationed in Europe a couple times and have come back with a "new perspective."

There are plenty of American political positions, actions, and stances to criticize.. But you could say the same thing about any country on earth. There are many loutish Americans, just as there are loutish French and Chinese and Somalis and people from any country on earth.

Anyone who goes on and on in this vein is a pretentious bore regurgitating received generalizations, trying unconvincingly to pass themselves off as "worldly wise" and sophisticated imho.

And moreover: anyone who would dislike or judge someone based solely on their nationality is retarded. Same goes for anyone who would judge an entire country based on the observed actions of a group of tourists. I was in Guadeloupe recently, which was full of tourists from mainland France, and honestly, taken as a whole and generalized about, they would make tourist Americans seem like the picture of grace, elegance and composure.

But do carry on. I know there are people who just adore this line of thinking.

by Anonymousreply 6002/14/2013

There's more than one pioneer for many inventions. They build upon one another's ideas, often decades or even centuries apart. DaVinci's sketch of a flying machine became a working airplane 4 centuries later in the hands of the Wright Brothers. Benjamin Franklin discovered the link between lightning and electricity, while Alessandro Volta invented the first practical method for generating an electrical current. John Logie Baird developed the electro-mechanical television system, while Philo T. Farnsworth invented a purely electronic system.

Personally, I think the who is less important than the how.

by Anonymousreply 6202/14/2013

I travel overseas a lot. For the most part, once learning I am American, people in other countries were eager to know more about life in America and even praise it for many different reasons. Then the Iraq war happened and all that goodwill is gone. The difference is startling. The reaction went from, "Wow! You're so lucky! Whats New York like? Disneyland? Do you really have two cars and spend your days at the beach?" to now a stoney silence and facial expressions that barely conceals how much they loath us.

by Anonymousreply 6302/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 6402/14/2013

It used to be jealousy and a lot of projection, particularly from Brits and Germans suspicious of our seeming plans for world domination - yes, this coming from the imperialists who fucked up every corner of the Eastern Hemisphere. But then Bush and Cheney (and now their apprentice Obama) went and lived up to every bad nightmare they ever had of us.

Way to go, right wing asstrolls.

by Anonymousreply 6502/14/2013

There are some people who think Americans aren't very bright. I don't know why.

I believe that our education like such as in South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like such as… and, I believe they should uh, our education over here, in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.

by Anonymousreply 6602/14/2013

R66 funny and scary, what a dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6702/14/2013

[quote] America is hated because this nation dose not follow the rest of the world's cookie cutter systems.

America invented the Cookie Cutter, dickhead!!!

[quote] By the way, no nation on earth has come to the aid to other nations in war and in turmoil like the United States has in the past ,and this country still does

Yah, that's why a a few of our Founding Fathers had to sail to Paris and beg France for help during the Revolutionary War. You think we would have won without France's Navy? Then what happened when France needed our help a few years later? American crickets chirping.

And you do realize that many people who died in the Holocaust were denied entry to America. Just research the story of the MS St. Louis.

And when did America assist in the War effort? Only after we were attacked at Pearl Harbor.

The reason you probably receive hostile welcomes while you travel abroad is obviously because you act like an obnoxious, exceptional, entitled American when you visit. Fuck off, you Freeper. People like YOU are the reason America is disliked by the world.

by Anonymousreply 6802/14/2013

Yes Auto-correct; that's another great American invention which I forgot to mention.

by Anonymousreply 6902/14/2013

They can suck on my drone.

by Anonymousreply 7002/14/2013

I saw some joke signs in shops in Austria reading in English: "No kangaroos in Austria." That, of course, is a jab at Americans who know little about anything beyond the U.S. borders and can't tell the difference between Australia and Austria.

by Anonymousreply 7102/15/2013

R72 In order to get France to help us fight the British, we got them to declare war on England with the promise that once our war was done, we would help France fight England. We were actually losing the war before the French showed up. They helped us win the war, but when it came time for us to help them fight England in a war we convinced them to start, we left them high and dry.

by Anonymousreply 7302/15/2013

Well, R73, considering how the aristocracy of France treated the people of France, it is just as well we fucked them over. Look at pictures of the Palace of Versailles then consider that the average Frenchman lived in a state of constant hunger and squalor. A rich ruling class that leaves the bulk of its countrymen to starve deserves to fall to the rabble.

by Anonymousreply 7402/15/2013

And yet the Americans grovellingly allied with these terrible aristocrats (far more 'tyrannical' than anything the Brits ever did), R74, and arguably would have lost the Revolutionary War without them. And then shafted them with the sanctimonioua hypocrisy that would remain the distinctive voice of American diplomacy from that day forward.

by Anonymousreply 7502/15/2013

Well, R74, as Ben Franklin said, revolutions come into this world like bastard children: half improvised and half compromised.

by Anonymousreply 7602/15/2013

r77, The UK and especially Germany have been making leaps and bounds to not repeat their past mistakes. They are aware of what they once were and are leaders in making sure they don't go down that same road again.

Americans still conveniently brush under the carpet our own demons of genocide and slavery.

by Anonymousreply 7802/15/2013

Lots of crummy, violent, under-educateded nations that are careless of their people. USA is just one, and far from the worst.

Oh, and far from the best, too.

by Anonymousreply 7902/15/2013

If we could learn to take it, and even put ourselves down from time to time, it would cease to be an issue. Every country has its shit heads. So many Americans just can't take a joke.

by Anonymousreply 8002/16/2013

Brits want to be like Americans at any cost. It's disturbing. There's no British pride. Everyone wants out of the joint. They dream of living in NY, or living in LA, or holidaying in Florida. I liked Britain better when they hated the Yanks. Now they just lick the US' taint at any given opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 8102/16/2013

Even more embarrassing r81 is are the stories in the British media about their celebrities having "conquered America". Whenever a British celebrity makes to to the B or C list like the Beckhams, Russell Brand or Ali G, their media makes it like they're superstar household names.

by Anonymousreply 8202/16/2013

And why people 'just like to put down Americans' becomes ever clearer.

by Anonymousreply 8302/16/2013

I always find it pretty embarrassing when Americans come to visit Europe and a lot have very bad manners and behave like everybody has to think they are special. Most of them never ask politely if the locals speak their language. They just think everybody has to talk English, their language.

It's always this -look at me, I am American the greatest nation on earth- attitude that people find annoying and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 8402/16/2013

Take a good look at yourselves. It's not hard.

by Anonymousreply 8502/16/2013

Here's an Canadian editorial about Americans, made in 1973.

Maybe a bit dated, but amazing how much of it still rings true.

by Anonymousreply 8602/16/2013

If America is truly so awful to you Europeans ( or wherever ) why do millions of people still dream of immigrating here and wait years to do so? How many Americans are immigrating back to Europe...? Bet it's in not a very high number.

Personally I think the very last person with any brains or balls left Europe about a century ago...leaving a Continent of smug, self-righteous assholes who are about 20 years away from begging the Americans to save them from the Muslims.

I hope we let the Muslims win, hell they deserve it after the shitty way you force them into ghettos and do the menial jobs no European will do anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8702/16/2013

R87 Europe won't take us...the APPLICATION numbers to go back to Europe are higher than they have ever been in history and the acceptance lower.

by Anonymousreply 8802/16/2013

Speaking of "fat Americans" here's a rather interesting look at the 10 Fattest Countries in the World .

by Anonymousreply 8902/16/2013

[quote]So many soldiers volunteers, etc. have died for other nations to gain justice.

Lets not guild the lily too much, or rewrite history too much either. World War I lasted from 1914 to 1918. America entered in April, 1917, after trying for years to remain neutral.

World War II lasted from 1939 to 1945. America entered in December, 1941.

In both instances America pursued policies of neutrality and isolationism for as long as possible. Certainly better late than never. It is not to say America did not make a big difference in those wars. It did. But in the battle for justice for other nations, it can't be characterized as charging into the cannon's mouth.

And while no nation should be expected to jump in the lake just because everybody else is, I do recall a fair amount of petulant foot stomping about who wasn't signing up for the "Coalition of the Willing'.

by Anonymousreply 9002/16/2013

[quote]why do millions of people still dream of immigrating here and wait years to do so?

Because of The American DreamTM. Everybody knows it. It's a powerful, global meme. Look at the rapturous reception Obama got in his first trip to Europe. There's a lot of truth to it. There's also a lot of fantasy.

I'd argue, too, because of the American Dream and American dominance in the world, when you fuck up, the rest of the world who would naturally side with you is a disappointed. For example, after Newtown, I just give up. How a culture can be so irrationally wedded to guns that your political system can fix it, is beyond me personally. Same with the ability to convince a population public health care is a bad thing. America's good at making money and mass entertainment.

I also think America hurts itself by banging on about being the 'greatest country on earth!'. It isn't. No country is. Even if there was such a thing, America probably wouldn't win it based on many of the examples previous given.

So if people like to put down Americans, it's about more than just an idle pass time, as the thread title suggests. One thing Americans don't have is thick skin. Even when they reject criticism it's usually with a lot of huffing and puffing.

by Anonymousreply 9102/16/2013

According to the European Commission, the average birth rate for the European Union as a whole is now 1.4 children per woman, which is well below the 2.1 replacement rate. By way of example, the country with lowest fertility rate in the world is Spain, where women have an average of only 1.07 children.

As a result, deaths will start out-numbering births in every member state of the European Union by as early as 2010. But some countries have already reached that point. According to Germany's Federal Statistics Office, more people died in that country in 2005 than were born. And Germany's demographic decline is the norm, not the exception in Europe. Indeed, Europe's "native"population is forecast to decrease by more than 100 million by 2050 while "foreign origin" population will increase to more than 200 million .

Meanwhile the Muslims birthrate in increasing exponentially in Europe in by 2030 Muslims will gain a majority in the 10 largest European cities, and by 2050 a majority in Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Belgium , Sweden, and Spain.

by Anonymousreply 9202/16/2013

R89 where and how did they get the numbers for that video?

I am most curious about Egypt in that when I was there not long ago what I saw was a very, very lean population.

Do they hide the fat people?

by Anonymousreply 9302/16/2013

More Fun facts for Europes Future`...

Most immigrants to the United States are fully integrated into American society by the second generation, regardless of their country of origin. By contrast, most immigrants to Europe are Muslims who refuse to assimilate and instead tend to cluster in marginalized ghettos on the outskirts of cities across the continent.

Here, too, the American experience is quite different. The best available estimates show that there are between 1.9 million and 2.8 million Muslims in the United States. And unlike their European counterparts, American Muslims generally do not feel marginalized or isolated from political participation. According to a 2004 Zogby Poll, American Muslims are more educated and affluent than the national average, with 59 percent of them holding at least an undergraduate college degree. Moreover, the majority of American Muslims are employed in professional fields, with one in three having an income over $75,000 a year.

But back to Europe: The Muslim population of Europe has more than doubled since 1980, and according to some estimates, there are some 25 million Muslims living on the continent today. Demographers predict that this figure may double by 2015, and that the number of Muslims could outnumber non-Muslims in all of Western Europe by mid-century. This prompted Princeton University's Bernard Lewis to tell the German newspaper Die Welt that ‘Europe will be Islamic by the end of the century.'

by Anonymousreply 9402/16/2013

Immigrants in the US have always been assimilated by Gen 2.0, but were for a long time (most of the time) placed at an arm's length by being burdened with a hyphenated designation (Mexican-American, Irish-American). Multiculturalism is a naive attempt to make this okay by saying hyphens are groovy! but forgets that the assimilation has already taken place and merely adds complexity to the acceptance that is far freely given now than ever before.

Balkanizing assimilated Americans with those recently arrived might be strategically wise for weaker groups who aspire to rule (as we see now in many of America's largest cities) but it could just as easily backfire when these fragmented groups begin to question those who have usurped ruling roles in a culture not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 9502/16/2013

It's not that Americans have money and prestige that upsets Europeans, it is that the stupidest and most cloying of Americans have cornered all the money and prestige.

by Anonymousreply 9602/16/2013

Don't forget R90, the Americans fought (and died) in WWII as mercenaries, soldiers for hire. The UK was charged for their services and just finished paying off the bill about 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9702/16/2013

My uncle was a mercenary for the Chinese in the late 30s and was taking on the Japanese while US corporations were still selling the Japanese supplies.

In 1940, he was all set to go get him some Nazis but Claire Chennault organized him into the formal Flying Tigers.

There were tons of Americans fighting against Fascism (and many, for) in the run up to WWW2.

I don't recall the US charging for the Americans fighting abroad before Pearl Harbor. My uncle said he was paid by certified check for every Japanese plane he brought down, or for each target he obliterated. The US government wasn't involved.

by Anonymousreply 9802/16/2013

Nothing more need be said:

by Anonymousreply 9902/16/2013

We dream of killing you, only because we love you.

by Anonymousreply 10002/16/2013

Because we're imperialist pigs who think it's noble to go bomb and kill others based on the whims of Wall Street? We have the balls to call it "liberating" them.

Because most Americans really believe the bullshit that they were sold in school as "History"?

Because our long ago heyday came because all of our European competition was in ashes after WWII?

Because our best contributions to world culture are co-opted from black culture which now most people say has a "thug problem" and don't see that as racist.

Because any social justice we have was brought about because the Soviets were giving us a hard time.

Because when you mention any of these things to people they say "Oh, you just like to put down Americans."

by Anonymousreply 10102/16/2013

This dilemma is the ultimate 'girls, you're both pretty!'

It ain't easy being number one, which in many respects America is. It ain't easy being most powerful, which in many respects America is.

Honestly what I think gets up everybody's noses is the breast beating, which I suppose we could live with while chuckling with the knowledge it's not quite as true as the Americans need to believe, but your politicians are so damn happily ignorant it's hard to live with the notion American is the majority stockholder in World, Inc. It's not good enough and somebody elects them.

Maybe if the Democrats do keep marching toward control, maybe if the country matures into something just slightly gentler and less self absorbed, maybe if America becomes more about leadership and less about winning, then people won't put them down as much. But as long as the Republicans think they can preserve their base by feeding them We're-Number-One-Greatest-Country-on-Earth-You're-With-Us-or-You're-With-The-Terrorists.

I do not believe it's as simple as people just like to put down Americans. People have short attention spans. They would have got bored with it after this many years if the basis was that simple.

by Anonymousreply 10202/16/2013

[quote]In contrast, American people are not angles when they travel...

Oblique angles?

by Anonymousreply 10302/16/2013

[quote]In contrast, American people are not angles when they travel...

[quote]Oblique angles?

Obtuse, surely.

by Anonymousreply 10402/16/2013

R101 wrote: "Because our best contributions to world culture are co-opted from black culture..."

American contributions to world culture include literature, art, film... what "best of.." those categories have been co-opted from black culture?

by Anonymousreply 10502/16/2013

I have not seen hate of Americans, but I have seen a lack of respect. They do think very often, that we are ridiculous. So many things they take for granted we argue about here like universal healthcare, crumbling infrastructure, education, the minimum wage. They think we are easily fooled, duped into unjust wars like Iraq. We brag and bluster with very little reason. We don't encourage public support for the arts & our violent film and commercial music culture is spreading like an unwelcomed virus to their young people.So they dismiss us. Many of them are not resentful of our freedoms, because they have those freedoms. They think of us as "sheeple."We have power but seldom use it and are proud of our lack of knowledge about our government.

by Anonymousreply 10602/16/2013

[quote]Because our best contributions to world culture are co-opted from black culture..

The Brits co-opted black culture with the blues, and then the US co-opted the Brits.

As usual, Brits stole first.

by Anonymousreply 10702/16/2013

Americans don't have a clue about how various representatives of America are fucking people over abroad. They put Americans down because we are clueless and rich. And whatever country has the most influence in the world will always be put down by everyone else. If China becomes more influential than the US, you can bet that THEY will be put down abroad even more than the US is now.

by Anonymousreply 10802/16/2013

Agree 100%, R108.

Although I suspect the world will always have a special place in its heart for the American tourist.

by Anonymousreply 10902/16/2013

They do it because they can and because it empowers them.

by Anonymousreply 11002/16/2013

American's give plenty of ammunition for the put downs.

by Anonymousreply 11102/16/2013

I really love R101

by Anonymousreply 11202/16/2013

I grew up in this bullshit country, I have to put it down. It's a huge disappointment

by Anonymousreply 11302/16/2013

I don't hate Americans, most Americans I've met have been very pleasant and when I travelled through the US I found them good humoured and hospitable. If anything the average American is too nice for their own good.

By the same token so many policy disasters in my own country, from criminalising drug addiction to forcing the sell off of state owned banks (and about a hundred more examples) have been imposed on us by "The Americans". And we are your ALLIES!! for fuck's sake. The American elite have spent the last 50 years using their political, military and financial power to bully and cajole the rest of the world into subscribing to their narrow and self serving vision of "freedom and democracy".

Many of us have our own FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY and we are sick to death of a handful of American oligarchs trampling all over it.

by Anonymousreply 11402/17/2013

Which country are you from R114?

by Anonymousreply 11503/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!