Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If I want to start reading P. G. Wodehouse

where should I start? There are so many of the novels and they all seem the same.

I know some of you will want to tell me what the bets novel is, and I'd be grateful for that; but I'd also like to know where's the best place to begin.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2014

Start at the very beginning. It's a very good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2013

Isn't "My Man Jeeves" the first in that series?

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2013

The Code Of The Woosters

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

It's been awhile since I read them, but I am pretty sure you can stack up the books and choose one at random. I don't recall there being much in these narratives dependent on a timeline.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

There are several "Best of Wodehouse" anthologies that offer stories from the various series and let you get to know the characters.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

These are nice, inexpensive editions -- if you're going for a bookshelf of Wodehouse titles.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

'The Code of the Woosters' is my favorite, R3. But perhaps save it for later, OP?

Start with one of the collection of short stories: 'The Inimitable Jeeves' or 'Carry On, Jeeves.'

But really it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Wodehouse is one of the few writers who can make me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

The first one I read was some random collection of short stories about golf. And I don't even like golf. i don't know what made me pick that book up, but I'm happy I did. I've since gone on to read pretty much everything he's written, with absolutely no regard to chronology. Just pick one at random. I, however, would suggest against getting one of those huge anthologies. I think he's best read in small doses, and trying to slog through a large volume will wear away at the charm of his writing.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

So much lovely gay subtext in these novels.

Wodehouse was most likely gay, no?

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

They really all are basically the same, but that's a good thing. My first was THE SMALL BACHELOR, which I still remember fondly, but once you get hooked, you're going to start getting them mixed up anyway. I've accidentally reread a few of them. Get thee to the Gutnberg project. There are a numbe of them available for free, including some short story collections. I much prefer the full-length novels, though. The plots have more space to get really hilariously ludicrous. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

You can jump in anytime with Wodehouse. I always loved the Mr. Mulliner and Psmith stories.

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

They're kind of grouped - there are the Jeeves books, the Blandings books, the Psmith books, the Ukridge books, the Mulliner stories, etc. When I first read them, I thought it was fun to read all of one group rather than mix them up (which would happen if you read them chronologically; he jumped around a lot subject-wise).

I like the Blandings books the best, but Jeeves is probably a good place to start. Thank You, Jeeves is the first true Jeeves novel (a lot of short stories with Jeeves and Wooster preceded it); just start there.

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

"Right Ho, Jeeves" made me laugh out loud. The funny thing is all of his books that I've read so far, (just started about 3 weeks ago) the men fall in love and ask the women to marry them in one day. And there is no getting out of it, because the women can get you for breach of promise. Was that really a thing?

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

I was wondering about that too.

I recently read Hitchens' book of essays & several of them were on Wodehouse, who I have not read (yet).

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

Start with the Mr. Mulliner story "Honeysuckle Cottage" - it's the best!

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

[quote]And there is no getting out of it, because the women can get you for breach of promise. Was that really a thing?

Of course -- it was a common law tort codified in modern statutory law. Alienation of affections was also a tort, when a third party seduced someone else's spouse into breaking the marriage vows. Either or both of these no doubt linger on the books in various jurisdictions, though neither is often invoked.

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

I was able to get The Jeeves Omnibus which is a collection of all the Jeeves novels in five volumes. Luckily, the books are in epub format and I've been reading them on my iPad. I've started "Thank You, Jeeves" a week or so ago, which is the first full-length novel in the Jeeves series, and I'm loving it so far.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.