Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Beyonce on the March 2013 cover of Vogue

Beyonce calls the making of her upcoming HBO documentary Life is But a Dream a therapeutic process.

She tells the March issue of Vogue, “this movie healed me in so many ways” and thinking about it makes her “want to cry.”

The film addresses topics that the notoriously private singer normally doesn’t address in public. It chronicles her 2011 decision to no longer have her father Matthew Knowles as her manager, her miscarriage and even the rumours that she was faking her pregnancy with daughter Blue Ivy by really using a surrogate.

“That was very odd,” says the singer.

by Anonymousreply 12502/14/2013

A film on Beyonce by Beyonce is way over the top. Sounds like a horrible infomercial.

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2013

You're stupid, r2.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

[quote]The coverage this cunt is getting is really getting ridiculous now.

She's always gotten this amount of coverage, even more previously. She's a worldwide icon.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

[quote]You are all racist pigs!

I'm black and I don't like her.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

[quote]She's always gotten this amount of coverage, even more previously. She's a worldwide icon.

Don't confuse being famous with being an icon, the latter of which BeYAWNce is not.

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

[quote]You are all racist pigs!

I'm a pig and I don't like her.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

r11 = racist pig!

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

She should be locked up for beastiality. Having sex with Joe Camel and such.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

Does it cover how she skipped the grammy awards because Whitney Houston had the nerve to die when she was about to unleash her post-baby body on an unsuspecting world?

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

The establishment made her. The people did not. The people will eventually realize that they have been TOLD to like her.

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

She's always been a homophobic bitch

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

[quote]Fuck you Anna Wintour, I thought you had more taste than this.

Based on past covers featuring Sienna Miller, Rihanna (twice), Kristen Stewart, and the deadly dull (if stylish) Keira Knightley?

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

[quote]that the notoriously private singer

Huh? Everything she does is up for public consumption and filmed.

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

Kelly and Michelle both had the voices in DC and Solonge has way more style than B ever did.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

I just try to imagine Beyoncé and her struggle with those thick thighs. You KNOW they've been lipo'd and she probably spot trains with the leg lifts and pilates. They're still huge! Bad genetics. She doesn't have it all and I resent her being associated with Vogue. Vogue is supposed to be something we all aspire to. Guess InStyle has made Vogue obsolete in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

I've been reading DL for about 8 years and I have never seen it so full of outright hateful racist comments and misogynist comments. What gives? Are we just invaded by freepers who are off their meds? Who the fuck is doing this? I wish the Moderator would outright expose some of these people.

You can't get into one discussion about the merits of a female performer without her being called a cunt several times over. You can't talk about a black public figure without them being called a nigger or ghetto or something rude.

It is disgusting and I know most people on here would like it to stop. I know that most of you just ignore and move on but it's wrecking my head. Is there anything we can do about it?

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

R17 is the Britney bot.

Beyonce is the victim of pure jealousy on here. I admit she lacks in a few areas,and I'd be willing to have an objective conversation on her here. But that's not going to happen with posts saying that Madonna and Britney have better talent. Posters are clearly biased and incredibly deluded.

R28 Straight men like thick thighs. Beyonce strikes the right match between embalmed corpse and porked out trailer trash. A real woman.

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

Nobody implied r30 that Britney and Madonna had more talent, just that they were better performers. They are after all, artists. Beyonce is an entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

Beyonce covering "Bohemian Rhapsody"

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

"that Britney and Madonna had more talent, just that they were better performers. They are after all, artists."

Like I said, biased and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

Can you imagine Britney doing this? LOL. My sides.

Madonna would attempt it. But could she stay on key, much less show any range?

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

I do believe there is some sort of invasion and I honestly think they are not really gays. I think it's freepers or OMM types coming here. This overuse of cunt, etc. seemed to start right before the appearance of the 'mo troll (my memory might not be right though). DL is fairly well-known and maybe this is an attempt at trying to get the site shut down. The 'mo troll sounds like an immature straight girl. I remember jokingly asking if she was Taylor Vakser. Anyone remember her? We also have a lot of fangurls googling their favorite celebrities and finding us like the Bots. Look at how many fraus invaded the peanut allergy/fibromyalgia threads. They just zero in on a site and have no clue we are a gay bitchery board.

I've been posting for about 10 years and it's been a lot more misogynistic and racist for about a year but really escalated recently that I've noticed. Obama's election and subsequent re-election has got some freepers really riled up and they are pissed and on the rampage.

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2013

r34, yes I can:

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2013

R30, given that you're statement is patently ridiculous, I am sure you're being facetious. However, I have seen others trot out that tired line about Beyonce being an entertainer not an artist. How is performance not an art? She's certainly as much of an artist as Madonna or Britney.

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2013

r37 - because she's always 'Beyonce'. Britney and Madonna? They play roles - virgin, whore, bitch, saint, victim, empowered, desperate etc. They are thousands of different women under a brand. Beyonce is one ego ideal under one brand. Don't you GET IT?! Britney does not cultivate an illusion - she goes to the unsavory places, her voice at that constant orgasmic pitch. Britney and Madonna liberate. Beyonce deceives.

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2013

So now she's a "Documentarian"? How brave of her to let herself be filmed doing....what she does.

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

If it was ok for Madonna to do Truth or Dare, I don't see how this is any different. I'd like to know more about her, what the heck.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

She's a second rate Tina Turner.

No, make that third rate.

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

Tina was ok occasionally but generally too screechy. I like Beyonce's voice more.

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

I'm so looking forward to this twat's reality check bouncing. And eventually, it's going to happen. Even all the little urban girls and voguing Bey gays will tire of her.

If she only have a glimmer of humility and kindness, I'd love her. But she's so fucking full of herself that her obscurity can't come soon enough for me. And, it will.

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

Beyonce is a beutiful (natural beauty), sexy, sincere, super talented woman. Men find her incredibly desirable. Surprise, surprise gay men hate her. Just like they hate all beautiful, sexy, talented and desirable women.

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

Her Husband is fugly as hell. He is punching well above his weight. Lets really hope that Blue Ivy got her mamma's looks.

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

The 'mos troll is also a misogynist, so I highly doubt it's a straight girl, unless it's an incredibly self-loathing one.

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

r44 - I think gay men just like their music performers to have a bit of personality, you know? Beyonce's a teacher's pet (if the teacher is Michelle Obama or Gwyneth Paltrow). Gay men like women who aren't sycophantic and don't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

Beyonce is hardly as much an artist as Madonna LOL!

She's a secind rate Tina Turner (a true legend).

Where is Beys critically acclaimed albums like Like a Prayer or Ray of Light

Where is her record breaking game changing concert tours like the ones Madonna has.

She has a few decent singles and some good videos, but that's about it.

And another thing I was watching Madonna on YouTube singing a song from her American Life album playing an acoustic guitar with a beret on, Beyonce could never do that, it's same o same o. It's about her shaking her ass in every damn TV performance.

There is no reinventiin or artistic growth with her.

She's the McDonald's of pop music.

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

Beyonce's songs are disposable pop. I don't think they'll stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

She is awful. Her career reminds me of Diana Ross in the 70s and early 80s except Miss Ross had more charisma in her little finger than Thunder Thighs Beyonce has in her entire vacuous existence.

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2013

And r50 Diana had some great songs in the 70s that are still played today. How can you not love I'm Coming Out or Upside Down? I don't think anyone will be playing Beyonce's stuff in 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2013

That cover is the most beautiful picture I have seen of her. She has great skin and I like her so much more with darker hair.

by Anonymousreply 5202/11/2013

I agree 100% r51. No one will give a shit about Beyonce in 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 5302/11/2013

People will only remember her as that black female in Lady Gaga's "Telephone" music video.

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2013

LOL R48, you are comparing a 31 year old- still in the prime of her career- to women over 50 who have been in the business at least 20 years longer than her. Of course 70 year old Tina Turner would be considered more of a legend than Beyonce. And of course 55 year old Madonna would have a longer list of achievements. On top her age, Madonna is a pop artist, where as Beyonce performs traditional R&B.

Madonna didn't crossover into "artiste" territory until the release of "Like a Prayer"... which was released when Madonna was the age Beyonce is now. Beyonce has already won 16 Grammys...Her "Dangerously In Love" album alone won 5 which, at the time, was a record.

Bey is a better singer and dancer than Madonna (those are arts that she is much better at than Madonna). She is also a much more charismatic live performer. She is, without question, the best live performer around today.

R38, Britney is a puppet... and no longer a very good one. She can no longer sing or dance and has no interest in her musical career aside from the amount of money she can generate. Her choice-or rather, her record label's choice- to "play a role" or "cultivate an illusion" doesn't supersede Bey's ACTUAL formidable artistic talent.

by Anonymousreply 5502/13/2013

I think Beyonce has a certain level of talent and beauty but there is nothing distinctive or captivating about her and her music sounds endlessly familiar. She is the true embodiment of hype over reality.

by Anonymousreply 5602/13/2013

She's a phony and no-talent. She has NO SINGING VOICE whatsoever. And no charm.

by Anonymousreply 5702/13/2013

R55 bullshit Madonna is a much better stage performer than Beyonce and judging by Madonna's record breaking Superbowl ratings,vs.Beyonce's the public seems to agree!

Let's look at Beyonce's touring numbers this year vd. Madonna's. I predict Beyonce will have a successful tour but it won't come anywhere close to Madonna's record breaking numbers. No matter how many more shows Beyonce does.

Oh and LAP and ROL were released within the first fifteen years of Madonna's career l. ROL is a masterpiece.

Beyonce needs to up her game with her new album and deliver a great album, not just a collection of catchy, disposible songs.

Her last album only sold two million WW and didn't even have one hit single.

She's in her early thirties she should be having hit after hit and semi decent album sales, I know nobody buys albums amymore.

Madonna's legacy is secure she's the biggest selling female artist of all time as well as the highest grossing solo touring artist of all time.

Madonna was also inductd into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame her first year eligible.

At this stage I highly doubt Beyonce will ever get in.

by Anonymousreply 5802/13/2013

R58, Madonna's tour numbers are due to her being a nostalgia act. She had the hottest selling tour last year. Know who was number 2? Bruce Springsteen. After him? Roger Waters. After him? The Micheal Jackson Immortal Experience. Michael Jackson's dead. Seeing a pattern here?

LAP and ROL may have come within the first 15 years of Madonna's career, but she was over 30 when LAP was released and around 40 when ROL was released. That is not insignificant.

Beyonce was pregnant before her last album ,"4" ,was even released. Her record label attempted to do an ill-advised international push knowing she wouldn't be available for promotion. Even before her pregnancy was announced, several major music mags were wondering why she was doing so little promotion. So, yeah, the album was a flop, but who was the last major pop star to promote a successful album while visibly pregnant? Off-hand, I don't remember this happening.

If you don't think Beyonce will make it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, then which of her generational peers do you see as a more legitimate contender? Of the slew of pop stars that hit the scene when she did, which of them would have put on a halftime show that was anywhere close to what she did?

by Anonymousreply 5902/13/2013

Beyonce is like Elizabeth Taylor to Britney's Marilyn Monroe. One of them is given industry respect and an absurd amount of glorification, the other is treated like a pariah and only respected in the instance of early death. If Britney lives a long life, people will continue to treat her with disdain.

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2013

R60, that's a pretty weak comparison. At one point, Britney was considered the hottest singer on the planet while Beyonce was a member of a dime-a-dozen R&B girl group. It took a lot of work- on both their parts- for things to get to where they are today. Britney still has her fans, but it's clear that she has no interest in the business or acquiring any type of respect from her work. I won't even go into how inaccurate I think the Liz description is.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2013

doesn't she show her pregnant belly in this movie?

an end to speculation?

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

R59 and yet there are a slew of female artists who've become icons and been around for years who can't touch Madonna's touring numbers

And they actually perform most of their old hits, with Madonna you're lucky if you get 6 of her classic hits.

I just don't think that in 20 years Beyonce will be that kind of icon, she may still be performing, but I don't see her selling out stadiums and having back to back the 2 highest grossing tours by a female of all timr like Madonna just did.

Look at Janet her first couple of tours were hugely successful now she reduced to playing 3000 seat theatres.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

Ugh, aging Madonna fans like R63 are so embarrassing. What's next? Someone gonna mention Barbra Streisand? Liza Minnelli?

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

R64 I'm 31 the same age as Beyonce

My Mom is actually younger than Madonna

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

I was in high school when the Ray of Light album came out and that got me really hooked on Madonna

And back then MTV and VH1 used to always show Madonna retrospective specials, I remember taping her Behind The Music, the summer before I graduated High School

A lot of people in my graduating class ('99) wete Madonna fans.

by Anonymousreply 6602/13/2013

I don't get her. Don't hate her either. Don't understand when someone says she's a great dancer, she shakes her ass and everything she does, she has fifteen dancers behind her doing the same exact thing. They all can't be great dancers. As for being in The Rock And Roll hall of fame, she better start working her ass off cause "Single Ladies" ain't going to cut it.

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2013

I just really don't care for her voice and think she looks ungainly onstage.

I also think she tries to downplay her blackness with the blonde, straight hair.

She doesn't have a that natural spark to her like other performers and she seems too rehearsed which doesn't allow for playfulness or abandon to show.

I prefer her quirky sister much more.

Aaand...she is everywhere! There are other performers in the world. Give them a shot to shine.

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2013

r64, there are a slew of male icons who can't touch Bruce Springsteen's or Michael Jackson's tour numbers. My point was not that every musician born before 1960 is a guaranteed moneymaker, just that it is not surprising that an older, successful artist with a decades old fanbase would do well on tour. It's common sense that high dollar tours tend to do well since they have older fanbases. That is not necessarily a sign of relevance or artistry.

You've already made it clear that you are a bigger Madonna fan than Beyonce fan, so unless you are posting from a time machine, whether you see her having a career in 20 years or not is not really relevant. Throughout the first 15 years of Madonna's career, everyone was counting down her 15th minute of fame. Christina Aquilera was supposed to be the pop idol from her her generation with the longevity. Mariah Carey should still be belting out the hits. The qualities that will result in a long-lasting career aren't always readily apparent, but Beyonce is wildly talented and fiercely ambitious, so she's mostly gonna write her own story.

That being said, part of Madonna's longevity has been a sort of pathology-her myopic obsession with youth.

by Anonymousreply 6902/13/2013

Beyonce is a man, not even a pretty one. He's been taking hormones since he was a little boy, which is why he fools a lot of people. Trust me people, there is a shrunken penis and tiny set of balls underneath all those sparkly outfits. That dude is not fooling me.

by Anonymousreply 7002/13/2013

[quote]Britney and Madonna? They play roles

I'll give you Madonna, but Britney is a dumb country cracker. I wouldn't be surprised if she is reading at a 4th grade level. Her managers put her in roles, if anything.

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2013

R70 the problem is and I think Beyonce does have talent and I would even call her an icon, she just has to step out of her comfort zone and reach her full potential as an artist, this younger generation is so ADD that they get tired of people quivkly and move on to the next thing.

That is why there will never be another Madonna or Michael, who's fans have followed their every move for 30+ years.

People like Rihanna amd Bieber release a new album every year and are always touring. They know if they took a year or 2 off they would be done.

Madonna and MJ would take breaks between albums and surprise everyone with a new look and sound for each album, they also rarely did TV performances or interviews, this made it feel more magical and exciting when they made a TV appearance.

Ri and Bieber and Perry whore themselves out to every damn TV show, ther is no Magi or mystery in pop anymore. Also Twitter doesn't help, I couldn't imagine MJ having Twitter in the 80s it would take away his legandary status if we knew what he ate for breakfast or when he took a dump.

by Anonymousreply 7202/13/2013

In spite of all the bitchiness and cattiness on this thread there's been a lot of interesting stuff.

I don't think B is going to last as a performer and it's sad that she's a "black icon" for this generation. She's not very talented & shaking the cellulite thighs and ass & gyrating do not make a performer.

IMHO her sister is way better looking, natural, natural hair styles, looks way better.

by Anonymousreply 7302/13/2013

Madonna's fans love to trot out the touring numbers, because they can't trot out the huge album sales number AND the huge film grosses.

If it's true, then I can understand why Madonna would despise her hardcore fans. They're always boasting about how great she is, yet couldn't be bothered to support her pet project of a film. (or most of her films, for that matter)

Beyonce, Janet stans may be annoying, but they flock to their diva no matter what medium they're performing in.

It's gotta piss Madonna off that even her most devoted fans keep a distance from her attempts at the silver screen.

by Anonymousreply 7402/13/2013

R74 Madonna is the biggest selling female artist of all time, she has sold 210 million albums and 110 million singles for a total of 320 milliin worldwide l.

The Guinness Book of Records and IFPI and Billboard have CONFIRMED this.

She is the 4th biggest selling act of all time behind the Beatles Elvis and MJ.

She has sold more albums than Beyonce and Janet COMBINED.

She has 4 of the biggest selling albums of all time

Sh has the biggest selling greatest hits album by a solo artist of all time with The Immaculate Collection which sold 30 million worldwide

Beyonce and Janet will never have albums that successful

by Anonymousreply 7502/13/2013

R74 and yet Madonna has still managed to appear in a number of successful films like Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League of Their Own, Evita and Truth or Dare which at the time of release was the second highest grossing documentary of all time

by Anonymousreply 7602/13/2013

R75 Way to completely miss the point of my post.

Which is correct, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 7702/13/2013

R72, I think the industry is way different than it was even in the 90s, but Beyonce is probably the last megastar who maintains any sort of mystique. She doesn't tweet, she sparingly uses any other social network like instagram of facebook, and she rarely talks about her personal life.

People keep saying she's overhyped, and I get that she may not be everyone's cup of tea, but among modern popstars, who is better? Really? What young popstar could have put on a better halftime show? We've seen plenty do much worse. What act from her generation is going to be remembered in higher regard than her?Brit had some great songs and Christina has a great voice and Justin could really put on a show the once a decade he decided to release an album, but no one has the combination of talents and level of fame that she has.

by Anonymousreply 7802/13/2013

R74 while a lot of Madonna's films have been shit, she has appeared in a number of successful films like Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League of Their Own, Evita and Truth or Dare, which at the time of it's release was the second highest grossing documentary film of all time.

She is also a best selling author 6 times over including having the fastest selling children's book ever and the biggest selling coffee table book of all time

The notorious SEX

by Anonymousreply 7902/13/2013

Beyonce was able to score a hit movie on her name alone with Obsessed, and is one of the few female celebrities around today who can do that.

Janet has been having hit films from 1993 up until 2010 with For Colored Girls.

W.E. tanked. It wasn't even an art house hit.

by Anonymousreply 8002/13/2013

R80 Obsessed made 73 million worldwide and was despised by critics

Evita made 160 million worldwide (in 1996 dollars!!), receivd good reviews 5 oscar nominations including a win for Best Song and won 3 Golden Globes including Best Actress

For colored girls only made 37 milliin at the box office hardly the smash you're making it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 8102/13/2013

Oh come one, is somebody seriously arguing that Beyonce's a successful movie star?

by Anonymousreply 8202/13/2013

Evita is from 1996, sweetheart. What hit movies has she done since then?

73 million is a hit, and the fact that she opened it on her name alone says something. That is a success, dear.

And all of Janet's movies have been hits at the box office. FCG was not the usual commercial fare, so it was not expected to do big numbers. It is considered a hit.

And let's not get into critics. Who holds the record number of Razzie awards?

by Anonymousreply 8302/13/2013

"The coverage this cunt is getting is really getting ridiculous now."

Almost any lite-skinned black or Latino woman is going to be everywhere, all the time from now on. It sells. Doesn't matter if they merit the attention.

by Anonymousreply 8402/13/2013

I am so glad that Billie Holliday, Nina Simone, and Ella Fitzgerald are not of this era, because they would have never made it.

It's pathetic that you people who think Beyonce, who has an average voice, puts on a tits and ass show, and a top notch marketing team, is some kind of genius talent.

You deserve your shitty taste. You will never know what art is. I feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 8502/13/2013

[quote]Oh come one, is somebody seriously arguing that Beyonce's a successful movie star?

I don't get it either.

by Anonymousreply 8602/13/2013

"Obsessed" was almost certainly very profitable because the whole thing could not have been made on more than your average Lifetime Telefilm budget, but let's not quite annoint her into some box-office dynamo just yet.

by Anonymousreply 8702/13/2013

[quote]I think the industry is way different than it was even in the 90s, but Beyonce is probably the last megastar who maintains any sort of mystique. She doesn't tweet, she sparingly uses any other social network like instagram of facebook, and she rarely talks about her personal life.

Very true. This is why Beyonce's fans, especially the younger ones under 25, are obsessed with her. A lot of people pass it off as her not having a lot going on upstairs, maybe so, but she feeds tiny bits of pieces of her personal life to the masses. Old school superstars did that simply because they didn't have a zillion formats of media to reach fans 24/7. When they finally divulged something the fans where on it like rabid dogs, and that's how I would describe Beyonce's "stans".

I think the posters in the DL set, mostly 35 to 50, just dont understand the how much Beyonce's stans, especially the gay ones, exalt her every move. They are dedicated to the core. That is why her career has skyrocketed even though her last albums where just ok. She is very much like Janet Jackson in the late 80s/early 90s; women use her as a reference point for style even if they aren't into her music.

by Anonymousreply 8802/13/2013

She's been very successful in terms of album sales and touring revenue. But, when you analyze her as performer, there really isn't much substance.

1) She's a slightly above average singer. If one is going to compare her to peers like Katy Perry, Rihanna and Britney Spears then yeah, she's a great singer.

2) She's a mediocre dancer. The moves are all created by choreographers and are not remarkable in any way. She's not a natural dancer and most of her moves are the kind of moves you expect from a stripper minus the cottage cheese.

3) She is not a songwriter. She's not an artist. She's a singer who sings songs other people have written for her. C'mon, we've seen her interviewed. She has trouble putting sentences together, she's not songwriter. She pays money to get credit for co-writing songs. So, the fraud begins.

4) But, that's not where it ends. Her persona is rather fake. Young woman working hard, talented, Christian girl, wholesome, humble and so on. That is all shit with exception to working hard. She has worked hard and her tours do have a lot of dancing and it's strenuous and she can do it in all over the world. But, she's not humble. You can't be humble and agree and sign off on such photoshopped pictures of yourself. I've seen early Beyonce. She was never that light-skinned. She certained didn't look as light as say Shakira but check out her Mrs. Carter World Tour promo pics. She signed off on those and her skin looks very light. She accepts money for L'oreal hair color when she's wears lace-front weaves 24/7. She sang at the Inauguration, she's not what I would call very fair yet she is very fair in a lot of her photoshoots.

5) She is adored by many but why? She is not particularly talented. She's a fraud in many respects. She has all this money but can't learn how to speak properly. She enjoys diluting her blackness as part of self-promotion. She does not have hazel eyes, she is not very fair, she does not have straight blonde hair. Her real nose is not small. She photoshops her hips out of photoshoots. Even at the Superbowl, she's certainly not ever going to be the target of anorexia rumors.

It's more unfortunate than anything else. She is not a proud black woman and she's popular because some of her songs are catchy and she puts on t&a shows. She's not graceful, eloquent. She hasn't added anything great to the music industry. She may have 16 Grammys but again, she didn't deserve it. Her repertoire consists of what? Songs like Say My Name, Single Ladies and Halo. The music is rather mediocre and will not last the ages.

by Anonymousreply 8902/13/2013

Beyonce is an international superstar. The rantings and ravings of gay people on datalounge will not change that fact.

Much like Michael Jackson, she has helped shape culture, whether it's her catchy songs or dance moves.

She is now working on becoming an icon. Not sure if she'll manage to do that but there's no doubt that she's arguably the biggest pop star in the world.

by Anonymousreply 9002/13/2013

" Not sure if she'll manage to do that but there's no doubt that she's arguably the biggest pop star in the world."

Fuck you! Let's see what kind of numbers her Mrs Carter tour pulls in around the world.

by Anonymousreply 9102/14/2013

Biggest pop star in the world? Hell, Rihanna has more hits than her!

by Anonymousreply 9202/14/2013

I fucking cant at people saying Beyonce can't sing!

You bitches are fucking crazy!

She's medioccre? She's not a good entertainer?!

WTF? The rest of the world disagrees.

by Anonymousreply 9302/14/2013

R90 Beyonce is hardly the biggest pop star in the world!

Her last album was a HUGE sales dissapointment selling just 2 million Ww

She hasn't had a hit song in 4 years!

Madonna's Superbowl performance DESTROYED hers in the ratings.

Beyonce's new tour while successful, won't come close to the attendance and box office gross of Madonna'a MDNA tour last year.

by Anonymousreply 9402/14/2013

Beyonce also doesn't have the worldwide following some people think

When Bey releases an album it may debut at #1 in a handful of countries

When Madonna releases an album it debuts at #1 in routinely 40 + countries

Granted Beyonces last album sold slightly more than MDNA 2 milliin vs. 1.8 million

But at her age Beyonce should be selling way more than that and have hit after hit

I think Rihanna's surgence pur a damper on Beyonce's career.

by Anonymousreply 9502/14/2013

R85 I completely agree with you!

by Anonymousreply 9602/14/2013

Stupid People In California

by Anonymousreply 9702/14/2013

Wow! She seems to get a lot of threads here that fill up quick. I can't believe that people are writing entire dissertations and novels on BEYONCE! Good Lord. She's beautiful though.

by Anonymousreply 9802/14/2013

Comparing Beyonce and Rihanna to Madonna or Mariah or even Streisand is ridiculous.

Madonna, Mariah and such earned their fame. You wanted to own their music, you had to get off your ass and get to a store and buy it. You wanted to hear it, you had to listen to the radio. You wanted to see their videos, you had to watch MTV and hope it was on rotation. You wanted to see them in concert? You had to hang out all night on the sidewalk in front of the box office. People made an effort to be their fans.

None of that happens today, you can see videos 24 hours a day on YouTube, not to mention never having to actually buy a song or album anymore. You can download an artist's entire album collection without leaving your bedroom. Big Difference

by Anonymousreply 9902/14/2013

R99 you have a point except for the fact that Beyonce herself is already establishing herself as a huge touring act.

Shr does hold the record for highest grossing tour for a BLACK female artist of all time

Her people realize that in about 5 years due to ageism radio will likely stop playing her new stuff and with album sales in the shitter, they're pushing her as a touring artist. And so far they've been successful

Mariah on the other hand may have sold a shitload of albums back I'm the day, but she's always been a huge big titted flop as a touring act!

It makes you wonder how much payola was responsible for her success in thr 90s, cause ain nobody lining up to see her in concert!

In fact Beyonce is already more successful as a touring act than Mariah.

Of course they both pale in comparison Madonna's huge numbers.

by Anonymousreply 10002/14/2013

DL Eldergays bring up Madonna whenever any female singer is mentioned.

It's so fucking tired, and so are you.

by Anonymousreply 10102/14/2013

[quote]Even at the Superbowl, she's certainly not ever going to be the target of anorexia rumors

Well, it is known as a "white" disease.

by Anonymousreply 10202/14/2013

R101 I'm 31 the same age as Beyonce, if I'm an eldergay so is she, accept for the gay part

by Anonymousreply 10302/14/2013

Illness, rather.

by Anonymousreply 10402/14/2013

Beyonce is a proficient singer dancer and performer. She is disciplined and a hard worker.

She has a thin voice and would be better served emulating Diana Ross instead of trying to be Aretha Franklin. The first half of DREAMGIRLS was the only time I've ever enjoyed her singing.

You don't even have to be as competent as a Laker Girl to be considered a good dancer as a pop star and Beyonce meets that criteria.

I said in one of the other 10 Beyonce threads that she has the deadest eyes in show business. Her management has followed the lead of Britney Spears' team and kept her media profile tightly controlled so that her public isn't aware of how little she has to offer on a personal level.

What bugs me the most is the phony peddling of a female enpowerment message when her entire career has been spent under the thumb of men. First, her father and then Jay-Z. She knows nothing about being an independent woman and yet from her press and they way people treated her you'd think she was an Amazon warrior.

by Anonymousreply 10502/14/2013

"DL Eldergays bring up Madonna whenever any female singer is mentioned."

That's because she is the measuring stick since she's the most successful female pop star in music history.

by Anonymousreply 10602/14/2013

"What bugs me the most is the phony peddling of a female empowerment message when her entire career has been spent under the thumb of men. First, her father and then Jay-Z."

Good point. It's one I've made before too. She went from daddy to hubby. Independent woman she is not.

by Anonymousreply 10702/14/2013

R99, it's precisely because of those differences that Beyonce's current level of fame and success is so impressive. You can be obsessed with a star now and not part with a dime. You don't have to spend a cent on a magazine, album, or even a concert ticket. You can download all of that for free. It's why everyone is always crowing about how the music industry is in trouble. It will never be like it was in the 80s. You just don't have artists going diamond anymore, artists whose albums are guaranteed multi-platinum blockbusters. They all have to hustle to promote and even a huge name is lucky to move 6 million units worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 10802/14/2013

R108 not even 6 million, Biebers last album sold 2.6 mil WW and those supposed teen phenoms One Direction average 3 mil WW sales for both of their albums.

It really is all about huge touring numbers these days

Billboard has even added touring grosses when calculating the most successful artists of each year. Before it was just album and singles sales that were calculated

Beyonce is very smart by moving into a "touring act" category she's a good performer and her concerts are successful

Her people realize that in a few more years physical CD's will be extinct and you can't download a live performance

Mariah, on the other hand, is done. Her labels never took the time to establish her as a huge touring act, she has to do American Idol and diet ads for income

by Anonymousreply 10902/14/2013

Very pretty. Lovely cover.

by Anonymousreply 11002/14/2013

[quote]you have a point except for the fact that Beyonce herself is already establishing herself as a huge touring act.

Yeah? Like I said, no one sleeps out on the cold concrete to get tickets anymore. That was an effort, you had to really like someone to do that. You couldn't get a ticket, you still had to get your ass out and go to the venue and hope you could afford a scalped seat. Now you buy them in your underwear in five minutes, even scalped tickets on ebay.

by Anonymousreply 11102/14/2013

I see the Beyonce stans have found DL. Welcome you nutters.

by Anonymousreply 11202/14/2013

I don't hate her. And it's not really her fault but for some reason we hold up these maudlin performers are examples of real talent when in truth, while competent at what they do they bring absolutely nothing new or extraordinary to the culture. Not just her but really any name performer at this moment really has nothing on a Beatles, Rolling Stones, Motown etc.

There are exciting talented performers out there. People who are pushing the boundaries of pop culture but unfortunately for her and just about any People mag feature, these people aren't it.

by Anonymousreply 11302/14/2013

R111, those circumstances don't really mean that people during your day "loved" artist more or that those artists "earned" their fame. That's like saying people who drove in cars made prior to the 80s were more determined to get where they were going because they didn't care about safety precautions like airbags. Or moms from the 50s loved their children more because they didn't use microwaves to prepare meals. If an option wasn't available and people take advantage of what is available, that's not a sign of greater dedication.

by Anonymousreply 11402/14/2013

[quote][R85] I completely agree with you!

You might agree now, but this is completely the reaction blacks had at the 'Elvis and Madonna are artists' phenomenon. In fact, many blacks predicted that these two would so dummy down art to forever change 'art' into the mediocrity it is now.

Madonna and Elvis CAUSED Bey. She is a direct result of their over production, gyrating, non singing form of entertainment.

I, too, agree with r85. I just start at Madonna, not Bey.

by Anonymousreply 11502/14/2013

R115 Michael Jackson has something to do with that aa well

He was the first performer to have tons of backup dancers gyrating with him in video and concert.

It became about the spectacle

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing It just is

by Anonymousreply 11602/14/2013

Beyonce just did an interview with a UK magazine where she listed Madonna as an influence as a performer and business woman.

The interview said she fired her own father as her manager in 2011 and took control as CEO of her own company

The article also stated that, including the DC sales, she sold 75 million albums ww and is worth over $300 million.

I think it's nice that Beyonce, 75 milliin album sales in 15 year career and worth over $300 million, is giving props to Madonna, $320 million album sales in 30 year career and worth over $650 million.

by Anonymousreply 11702/14/2013

sarcastic 117, Madonna sold most of hers when people actually bought music, duh.

by Anonymousreply 11802/14/2013

Exactly, r118. R117 wrote post r109, so obviously they must be aware that a great deal of Madonna's sales volume was due simply to her being marketed correctly during the right era. Beyonce came of age after the record industry imploded, so the fact that her sales numbers are where they are is way more impressive.

However, the point is going over r117's head. Madonna is twice as old and has been in the business twice as long as Beyonce. Of course she is going to have higher sales. No one in this thread has argued otherwise. Somehow, you are equating her sales numbers with her artistic relevance, which just doesn't hold water. Beyonce is a far better singer, far better dancer and way more charismatic stage performer. The fact that a black woman who makes traditional R&B has become this global icon only underscores how talented she is. Madonna has talent, but a lot of that is her ability to market herself. That's no small feat, but even she admits she's not a great singer. She overestimates her ability to dance and the impressiveness of her stage shows has a lot to do with having the right people around her. Her halftime show visually spectacular, but so much of that was due to The Moment Factory, Cirque Du Soleil and Jamie King.

by Anonymousreply 11902/14/2013

"That was very odd."

Not the same as a denial.

by Anonymousreply 12002/14/2013

Jay-Z has bought Beyonce's success.

by Anonymousreply 12102/14/2013

R118 &119 ok Beyonce's career with DC started in 97, since then Madonna sold at least 100 million records, so she still outsold Beyonce from 97 on

I'm including the Evita soundtrack in my Madonna estimates it came out at the very end of 96, but sold a majority of it's sales in 97. Even if I were to deduct those sales it she would still be at 80+ million albums sold since 98 when Ray of Light came out.

Beyonce's tours have grossed a total of 300-400 million at the box office in that time, while Madonna's tours have grossed 1.1 BILLION at the box office since Drowned World in 2001.

Madonna was the 5th biggest selling artist worldwide during the 2000s. The top 4 were Eminem Britn

by Anonymousreply 12202/14/2013

This is R122 continuing the top 4 were Eminem, Britney, Robbie Williams and Norah Jones.

No Destiny's Child or Beyonce

Beyonce has outsold Madonna in the US since her debut but definitely not worldwide since 97.

Most people are ignorant too Madonna's huge international appeal

by Anonymousreply 12302/14/2013

I like reading your posts, r105. You manage to make your point without being ugly or hysterical. I don't care for Beyonce's music and don't really consider what she does on stage dancing. The hype surrounding her is in over drive and almost inpossible to ignore. It's annoying but it can't last forever. Until then, I willl just hold my nose and keep changing the channel whenever someone mentions her or her husband. Here's why I really came into this thread. I am amused at how Oprah has glommed onto Beyonce. She showed up unannounced at the premiere of the HBO special and just went on and on about how wonderful the documentary is. Even Beyonce looked surprised. I wonder if the rumors are true about MO not wanting Oprah around the WH. We all know Beyonce worships MO and I wonder if Oprah is trying to make it look like she is a mentor to Beyonce, just to annoy MO? Oprah looked almost desperate to look relevant.

by Anonymousreply 12402/14/2013

r122, DC was a middling girl group for the first few years of their career. Unlike most of the pop acts from that era, the group and Beyonce's solo career actually gradually gathered steam. So, it isn't really an accurate comparison to say "Bey's been in the business this long, Madonna's been in the business x times this, so this proves such and such."

Also, I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. Norah Jones? Still, like I said in my last post, your first post in this thread claimed that Madonna was a far superior artist to Beyonce. Superior sales machine? Maybe, I'm not even really disputing that. I just don't think she's a superior artist. I don't think her having higher sales proves she's a superior artist. I don't think Madonna's utter crap and I can understand why she has a fanbase, but she is a completely modern distortion on the idea of talent and artistry. Not much of a singer or dancer, but surrounded by enough lights and pyrotechnics, it seems pretty impressive. I think Beyonce is just an all-around stronger performer. My opinion of Beyonce isn't really based on her sales, even though they have been pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 12502/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!