Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just finished Season 1 of 'House of Cards'

Brilliant. Excellent. Jaw-droppingly good. Can internet TV shows be nominated for Emmys? Spacey, Wright, the girl from American Horror Story, they're all great. If you have Netflix, watch it.

by Anonymousreply 4812/15/2013

Interesting. I heard from someone who's taste I trust that the first few episodes are dry and kind of passionless.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

The British original is better. A LOT better.

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

People always say that about British originals. The Brits take a shit and somehow that's better than all American shits put together.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

Yes, OP, it will be available for Emmy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2013

I couldn't get past 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2013

With this and soon Arrested Development, we can really start seeing what Reed Hastings was talking about when he said his real competition was HBO, not Blockbuster or Redbox.

Only Netflix isn't shackled down by those useless cable provider monopolies... at least not until they start hiking the price of internet service to compensate for the dropoff of cable subscriptions.

I really do wish HBO was a standalone subscription service like Netflix. I'd sign up in a heartbeat for Game of Thrones alone.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2013

Didn't like the cliffhanger ending. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 702/11/2013

I loved the cliffhanger. He's about to get everything he wants, while what he did to get it is about to come out. Great ending. Loved the character's gay relationship being the one he can't forget.

by Anonymousreply 802/11/2013

The British are literally about 25 years ahead of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 902/11/2013

Spacey's accent is atrocious. He sounds like a UK actor doing a bad US accent, sorta like Madonna and Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

Spacey, Robin Wright and especially Corey Stoll all deserve Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2013

I'm at Episode 4 at this point and so far I'm really liking it. Wright is excellent and she manages to infuse her character with really sinister undertones. The show on the whole is very reminiscent of "Boss" but less dark in its tone.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

It cost NetFlix $100 Million to do the season. They are going to have to sell a lot of subscriptions to pay for that

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

I don't like when they randomly break the 4th wall.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

R4, it is not "available" for Emmys. It is eligible for the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

How long does it take you guys to download the full season? Is it in HD?

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

I just finished last night and I totally adored it. I absolutely cannot wait until season two.

Just like I found DAMAGES to be superior to just about everything else on TV when it was on, this seems to also be a labor of love for all involved and it shows in every frame and every performance. It's almost note-perfect. Sure, the script isn't always brilliant, but I like that one writer is running the show more or less and the authorial voice is very prevalent and pretty much "makes" the show, at least for me. While Fincher's episodes were excellent, I actually enjoyed the two Joel Schumacher ones the best, I think (yeah, I know).

This show totally puts HOMELAND to shame (which I generally find to be a very weak and less effective imitation of DAMAGES's fourth season and its themes/ideas, anyway).

Spacey and Wright will win everything. Stoll is a revelation and if life is fair this will catapult him into superstar status. He is unforgettable and the show is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2013

How is Kristen Connelly?

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

She makes a really good impression and is obviously totally gorgeous and looks it in HD, R18.

BTW She and Corey Stoll have some really good scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2013

1. I agree with the OP's assessment 100%. This was outstanding.

2. R13, I believe the $100m Netflix paid was for two seasons, not just the first. They ordered two 13 episode seasons out of the gate, hence the cliffhanger at the end of S1 being not insanely annoying, but rather a delightful teaser of the fun and games to come in S2.

I hope the poster above is right about this being eligible for Emmy noms. It deserves to be showered with awards.

by Anonymousreply 2003/05/2013

I'm lovin' it. The West Wing has some serious competition here for my favorite political show.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

I liked it a lot, but it had its flaws.

Spacey's performance was a bit too hammy and the accent unreliable.

And the turning to the camera and breaking the wall gimmick was distracting and forced.

Wright was much better. She was totally believable as a villain and yet strangely sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

Watched it again over the weekend, and have to say that the breakout star / best performance comes from Corey Stoll (Peter Russo).

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

[quote]Spacey's performance was a bit too hammy and the accent unreliable

What else is new?

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2013

I heard that Corey Stoll looks very hot and shows an impressive bulge in this show... can anyone give info?

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2013

Popping in late here ... just watched season one in a two-day binge. I liked it quite a bit but thought it was far from perfect, particularly in terms of continuity. I didn't really "get," until the final episode, that Frank had masterminded a plot that would put Machiavelli to shame, apparently in full cahoots with Claire. OTOH there were way too many conveniences and contrivances. Example: Russo happened to live in the only apartment building in the world with a parking garage containing separate *enclosed* garage spaces? And exactly how far did Frank's Machiavellian scheming go? If he was brilliant enough to deduce the fact that he could successfully convince the entire administration to support Russo's run for government, and then have Claire pull the rug out from under him, and then know he'd get so drunk that Frank would have a convenient opportunity to murder him, then why on earth was he stupid enough to shack up the hooker Russo picked up with his *secretary*? And why on earth couldn't Stemper come up with a measly ten grand and/or move her conniving ass cross-country instead of just outside the Beltway? The Underwood's townhouse is probably worth at least $5 million alone - wouldn't Frank have some "rainy day" funds stashed away somewhere?

Also, on occasion the narrative simply ground to a fucking halt. Frank had to drop everything in episode 3 to deal with an utterly ridiculous "crisis" in his home district? (Btw the SC town he's supposed to be from, Gaffney, exists in real life, but there is NO fucking way a Democrat would be its representative. I happened to drive through there last year, and it was the apparent epicenter of Tea Party nutbaggery, with Jim DeMint signs on every block.) The whole Sentinel episode was a little odd, too, even if I found its latent homoeroticism titillating. How does it help us "know" Frank any better to find out he messed around a few times with his academy roommate? We already knew he was, shall we say, extremely open-minded sexually speaking, given his open relationship with Claire.

In response to R17: puts "Homeland" to shame? Are you fucking kidding me? Not in a million years, unless we're only counting the utterly bizarre series of unbelievable plot twists that happened this past season. That said, I'll be watching next season, and I hope to see more Gerald McRaney in it. Since he's already in the main credits, I'm wondering if the post-cliffhanger result will be him being "forced" to take the vice-presidency from Frank to prevent a major international scandal.

by Anonymousreply 2606/05/2013

[quote]People always say that about British originals. The Brits take a shit and somehow that's better than all American shits put together.

Well, it's true!

by Anonymousreply 2706/05/2013

I couldn't help but thinking it was the story of a closeted member of Congress. Spacey can't play straight.

His arch way of turning to the camera to explain what we just saw ruined the show. It took all the interesting potential ambiguity and crushed it.

by Anonymousreply 2806/05/2013

r28 - that was the way the British version was done also.

I haven't started watching the American version yet. I saw the British version when it originally aired and watched it again recently. The first season and third seasons were the best. The second was a little weak.

by Anonymousreply 2906/05/2013

Just finished this. ENjoyed it very much.

Spacey's narration came off heavy handed and forced in some moments but those were few and far between. Sometimes if felt like they were mimicking Shakespearean drama rather than just playing it. (IF that makes sense) Most of time it worked. It was especially good towards the end when his character was [italic]not[/italic] in control and didn't even realize it.

Side note: I LOVED the opening credits. I love how they got those shots of busy streets, cars, lights, and all the 'machinery' of the city— without one human visible anywhere. Beautiful, somewhat haunted and brilliant.

I think some people are reading too much into the gay romance he had in college. This was a men's boarding school and this kind of fling happens- a lot more often that Americans know. We always joke about women who have their lesbian romance in school but no one acknowledges that men in fact do this too. In other parts of the world this is kind of a known thing. Frank is the kind of a guy who did not like rules or people giving him boundaries. It makes perfect sense he had a boyfriend in college. But the nice thing was that the show didn't treat it like a dirty secret that was going to come out, nor was it an insignificant fling but a relationship that had a lasting impact on the lead character - and that was refreshing take.

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3106/24/2013

Corey Stoll was great, in retrospect it's a shame what happened to his character because the show would've been better going forward with him in it. I think the writers probably didn't realize that he'd be the only thing remotely soulful about the show.

by Anonymousreply 3206/24/2013

R32, never mind about "soulful" - please tell us all about Corey Stoll's ASS and BULGE!

by Anonymousreply 3306/24/2013

Excuse me. In England we say that our series (alt. "tele programs") are "available" for awards. Since this brilliant show is genetically British it's quite appropriate to say that it is "available" in this fashion.

by Anonymousreply 3406/24/2013

Corey Stoll is such an underated actor. E

by Anonymousreply 3506/24/2013

Just finished episode 6 and these people are more vile, cold and ruthless than the mafia or New Mexico drug lords or the Oz inmates. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 3608/07/2013

Frank's asides to the audience are brilliant. He's another version of Shakespeare's Iago, who also confides in the audience. Sure Spacey is heavy-handed at times, but he fits the part like a glove.

by Anonymousreply 3708/08/2013

I loved Ian Richardson in the original "House of Cards" and just haven't had time to look at the remake. His performance as F.U. would be hard to follow, but I'm interested in Spacey's take on it.

by Anonymousreply 3808/08/2013

The last 4 or 5 episodes were intense. I went from feeling "whatever" to looking forward to next season. I will miss Corey Stoll.

Card on!

by Anonymousreply 3908/11/2013

Well produced, well acted (though I'm not sure anyone has ever won an Emmy for talking directly to the camera). But it's the scripts; Beau Willimon's work is well, erm, crafted (this work is adapted) but it's so simplistic and reductive. Everything is telegraphed so firmly in advance the only thing left to admire is the execution.

House of Cards accomplishes the surprising feat of failing to meet standards set by The West Wing over a decade ago and like Willimon's The Ides of March manages to present a Washington that seems dated, schematic and unreflective of the U.S. political environment we all know so well by the endless daily coverage it receives.

Robin Wright's Lady MacBeth is the highlight, when she isn't being wrong-footed by the script. The rowing machine as the actualisation of her ambitions to see her husband in the ultimate seat of power is brilliant. But the dramatic content, overall, considering what we know and what has come before it is pretty unchallenging.

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2013

I love it...just on Ep 8 now.

Too bad we lose Corey Stoll, he is the best actor on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4108/24/2013

Just finished Ep. 7 and think it's all really gone off the rails.

If Frank is going to speak to the camera couldn't he at least reveal something about himself? It's always turn to the camera and say the most obvious thing or look and emphasis the most obvious thing. Looks like Spacey gives good cunnilingus though.

Russo. I don't get the casting. I like Corey Stall but he doesn't seem capable of the vices Russo has exploited to no end. They keep talking about this numb degenerate and then Stall looks like a kitten, comparatively. It's not believable. Likeable actor, poorly cast.

Michael Kelly is amazing as always. Robin Wright, exquisite in every way. I keep getting echoes of January Jones, it's like Claire Underwood and Betty Draper are related; Underwood is Betty Draper, 4 or 5 generations on. I would love to see Wright win the Emmy for this.

Beau Willemon, always with the troubled girls mucking up politics. As if the only questionable thing politicians do is get girls pregnant and hire prostitutes. Willemon feigns an interest in politics but has no interest in actual policy.

by Anonymousreply 4208/26/2013

So much for binge viewing. Haven't watched this in a week, can't get passed Episode 8. It's just too ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4309/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 4410/03/2013

is Michael Kelly family? I find him so attractive

by Anonymousreply 4512/10/2013

When is Season 2 scheduled to start (well, knowing Netflix, not START, but "be released")?

by Anonymousreply 4612/10/2013

The Season 2 Teaser Trailer

by Anonymousreply 4712/15/2013

Season 2 comes out on February 14, 2014.

by Anonymousreply 4812/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!