Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

For those of you who grew up in the '70s, what were your favorite kids' shows?

My absolute favorite was The Magic Garden with Carol Demas and Paula Janis. It aired in the NYC area on WPIX, though I'm not sure it aired in other parts the country. Friends my age who didn't grow up in the NYC area don't recall this show. Carol and Paula look great today and still perform together. Another favorite was New Zoo Revue. I had a crazy little boy crush on Doug and so badly wanted to BE Emmy Jo (I know...MARY!). I also liked Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and Zoom, but Magic Garden and New Zoo Revue stand out.

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2013

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

Banana Splits

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

HR Puffenstuff

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2013

Want to add that I hated Electric Company. Just never got that show.

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2013

Gentle Ben

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

The New Curiosity Shop, with DL fave Pamelyn Ferdin.

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

Does anyone else remember Land Of The Lost? We LOVED that show! On every Saturday morning, couldn't wait...

Saw an episode a few years ago, it was hilarious how cheesy it was but we just thought it was the greatest at the time.

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

Yes, I was an odd child.

And HR Puffenstuff, Electric Company and Zoom.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

Our local after school kids show was Captain Kangaroo. He'd show all the Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, etc. cartoons. He had a studio audience of about 12 kids and it was always a big deal to get on his show.

By the time I was 11 or so (late 70's), I had already moved on to things like Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island.

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2013

Loved Romper Room.

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013

Mr. Wizard

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo

Gentle Ben

by Anonymousreply 1202/10/2013

Electric Company!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1302/10/2013

This one. Thanks to a Datalounger, I finally found out the name of it and episodes. This is healthy TV for kids.

by Anonymousreply 1402/10/2013

This thread will hit 700 by tomorrow morning.

by Anonymousreply 1502/10/2013

Dr. Shrinker!

Hodgepodge Lodge - I'm not sure if that was just a local PBS show. Very few people remember it when I mention it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/10/2013

Oh I remember Hodgepodge Lodge.

by Anonymousreply 1702/10/2013

Isis and Ultraman. I was always amazed that Ultraman was supposed to be so badass even though , in every episode, the light on his chest signifying his power was weakening would start blinking. Always. Without fail.

by Anonymousreply 1802/10/2013

Steampipe Alley

by Anonymousreply 1902/10/2013

If you grew up around Philly, you had Pixanne, Gene London, Sally Star, Chief Halftown, Noah and his Magical Ark, Wee Willie Weber, the list went on and on.

by Anonymousreply 2002/10/2013

Romper Room! (Oh Magic Mirror, who do I see today!)

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

I loved "You Can't Do That On Television." Big crush on Alistair and loved Moose.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

I also loved Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space (with their cock-shaped spaceship!)

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

Eldergay thread.

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

I loved the Shazam/Isis Hour.

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

Zoom (I still speak Ubbi Dubbi)

Banana Splits (young Jan Michael Vincent on Danger Island!)

HR Pufenstuff (I can sing the song by heart)

2 Chicago shows: Screaming Yellow Theater with Svengoolie BJ and the Dirty Dragon

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

Romper Room - I corresponded regularly with Miss Louise and she saw me in her magic mirror several times. Doo Bee was proud of me because I got every product they put out. The Romper Stompers, the Romper Punching Balloon

Bozo the Clown

Wonderama and Kids Are People Too (wakadoo wakadoo)

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

Mary Jane Patterson was the ROMPER ROOM host when I watched. And I loved Joya's Fun School. And don't leave out VIA ALEGRE!

by Anonymousreply 2802/10/2013

Mary Anne Petterson was the host of Romper Room. And she was a cunt who never said my name when she held the magic mirror.

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

I loved the song from "Reading Rainbow" and thought Levar Burton was so cute.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

Mary Tyler Moore show Carol Burnett show

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

For Romper Room, different cities had different women hosting. NYC, Chicago and LA all had different hosts.

And r29, you had to write the cunt in order to get your name mentioned. Unless you had an odd name like Muhammad or Indira, in which case you can forget it because they never used non-whitebread names.

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

The Muppet Show!

(Oh, Mighty) Isis

Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids

Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle

Battle of the Planets

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

Hobo Kelly :)

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2013

Diver Dan

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2013

Prince Planet - I hoped I'd been exiled and the people I knew were not my real parents.

Ark II - I loved the idea of Living in an RV: perhaps these people were my real parents.

Banana Splits - I'm on my second Mini.

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2013

The Double Deckers

The Bugaloos

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2013

FYI, Carol Demas (The Magic Garden) was the original Sandy in GREASE.....great odd fact, right???? Kukla, Fran and Ollie anyone?????? Sherrie Lewis and Lambchop??? I worked with SL once- at the White House Easter Egg Hunt- and she was the biggest see you next tuesday i have ever worked with- and that includes Katie Lee Gifford and Lillian Montevecci..... Dont ask for my "Meanest People in Show Business" list- I really could get sued I think.....there least suspected (fuckin' Lambchops hand, really??) are the ones to watch out for.....the BIG stars are relatively low maintenance and oddly easy to work with/for- you just need to think before you speak... Sorry for highjacking this thread....back to 70's TV.........

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

Magilla Gorilla

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

Grape Ape

Hong Kong Fooey

Electra Woman and Dinah Girl

Land of the Lost

Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

Romper Room

The New Zoo Revue

Electric Company

Kroft Superstars

Lancelot Link

Wonder Woman

Hogan's Heroes

Get Smart (I loved the opening.)

Brady Bunch

Adam 12

Little House On The Prairie

Bionic Woman and Bionic Man

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

Anybody remember a B7W cartoon where the villain had a light bulb for a head and in one episode the bulb broke? It traumatized me that this guy was walking around with a broken light bulb head.

Another show you had to send away for a piece of plastic to stick to the TV to draw on and parents were upset because kids didn't get the concept that you need the plastic and would cover the TV with crayons and paints?

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

If we're going to do cartoons, then "Milton the Monster" and "Atom Ant."

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

Laff-a-lympics. But I hated Scooby-Doo.

Speed Buggy.

Rocky & Bullwinkle (even though it was 75% over my head). But I remember taping shows on my tape recorder and listening for hours.

Wonder Woman.

Happy Days & Laverne and Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Hour, with Shaun, Parker, and Pamela Sue.

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

Sigmund & the Sea Monsters, Lidsville, Superfriends

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

Does anyone remember Hot Dog? It was an informational show for kids explaining how things work or are made, but very fun. Jo Anne Worley and Jonathan Winters were featured. Woody Allen, pre-director megastardom, was also a player.

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

Loved the Magic Garden! We got WPIX in my little New England town and we all loved Magic Garden. "The stories are here, they're all in here . . . "

Kukla, Fran and Ollie was good. I remember one movie they showed about a boy who finds a German Shepherd but if I remember correctly, it was a former Nazi guard dog and at the end he had to shoot the dog. I think I cried for a week and I never watched KF&O again.

Shazam/Isis Hour

Wonder Woman

Electric Company

The Hulk

Land of the Lost

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

Hodge Podge Lodge

"we're off to the forest to see miss jean she is lives witha woman who's never seen"

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2013

Now I'm thinking of Saturday kid's movies, r49. Anyone remember "Scruffy" or "Digby"?

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2013

[quote]Kukla, Fran and Ollie was good. I remember one movie they showed about a boy who finds a German Shepherd but if I remember correctly, it was a former Nazi guard dog and at the end he had to shoot the dog. I think I cried for a week and I never watched KF&O again.

Was that on "Children's Film Festival"? That was the starter show for budding indie/artsy types!

I remember being reduced to tears on a few occasions watching that show. The film "Hand in Hand", about a Jewish girl and Catholic boy, haunted me for days.

by Anonymousreply 5202/11/2013

R52, it was Children's Film Festival! Excellent memory! There is a link to a clip on YouTube below. I seem to remember the dog being shot at the end, but all the reviews describe it as some uplifting film. Maybe I mixed up this one with another one?

by Anonymousreply 5302/11/2013

Or "Hand in Hand," about the forbidden friendship between a Catholic boy and his Jewish friend.

CFF deserves its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!