Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Penny Marshall's Memoir "My Mother was Nuts."

It's a good read. She's gentle over the differences with Cindy Williams.

Penny got pregnant twice in the early '80's & had no idea who the fathers were. Busy lady! She did not keep the babies.

Penny wanted Demi Moore for the lead in "League of their Own" but she was pregnant. The studio wanted Sean Young. Debra Winger was cast but dropped out when Madonna was added "You're making an Elvis movie!"

Denzel caused more trouble on Preacher's Wife than Whitney.

Penny did not want Drew Barrymore for "Riding in Cars with Boys" and was angry when the role was promised to her. No love for Drew, lots of praise for Brittany Murphy.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7702/14/2013

How was her mother nuts? What did she say? Don't know why she would be gentle with CW. Wasn't Cindy a big pain in the ass on that set?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 102/10/2013

"Denzel caused more trouble on Preacher's Wife than Whitney."

Men always are more high-maintenance and demanding.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 202/10/2013

Her mother was a stage mother who pushed the kids into show business and hated her husband.

On her death bed, the mother left letters for all the kids. Penny's read "I knew you stole quarters out of my purse."

Cindy was a total flake, huge pain in the ass and was paranoid that PM would be treated better because of her family connections. Hooking up with the Hudson Brother only made her worse. But PM still seems to hold her in affection, though to this day CW claims unequal treatment on the L & S set.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 302/10/2013

[quote]On her death bed, the mother left letters for all the kids. Penny's read "I knew you stole quarters out of my purse."

I would crack up if I read this and take satisfaction that the kook was bothered enough throughout life to write about it in the end. Then, I'd pat myself on the back whether the incident happened or not.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 402/10/2013

Watching the show. I don't think Cindy is being fair.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 502/10/2013

There are parts of hers and Gary's that are word for word. Read them back to back too.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 602/10/2013

Is Garry's book good, R6? Just about to start it.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 702/10/2013

I think it was a TV bio-film on Charlie's Angels or Three's Company that showed "Penny" and "Cindy" on the next set (L&S) always fighting over who got more/less of what. One scene had them screaming at each other while waving measuring tapes over who had the larger trailer.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 802/10/2013

I rarely think that Drew Barrymore is right for any role. the only part she would be perfect at is a stroke victim who has a low IQ.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 902/10/2013

Why the dislike for Drew OP? Does she say why?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1002/10/2013

R10, here's the quote: "Drew didn't think my Academy Award winning cinematographer was lighting her properly...Jim made me fire Chris, one of the nicest people in the business."

Brittany Murphy "jumped into it. No problem. Drew required more finesse and patience."

The producer wanted "all Drew, all the time. That might have worked in an other movie but this wasn't one of them. There was too much other stuff going on."

(She does give DB props for hosting SNL right after 9/11)

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1102/10/2013

[quote]Why the dislike for Drew?

I'm not the OP, but I would imagine Drew could be a pain in the ass. She was from an acting dynasty, she had always gotten her way, she was self-entitled, she had alcohol problems. It was covered up back then, but Drew was the Lindsey Lohan of her day.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1202/10/2013

I saw Riding in Cars with Boys and only remember that it was a dull, dull movie and Barrymore's character was annoying. Both she and Brittney had the requisite troubled child star drug and alcohol problems and Drew's the one who pulled through.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1302/10/2013

[quote]Is Garry's book good, [R6]? Just about to start it.

He starts out telling about his youth but it quickly turns into a IMBD list of his work, like Chapter 5: The Odd Couple, Chapter 6: Happy Days... Like I said he and Penny have word for word passages.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1402/10/2013

Like Joy Behar, Gary and Penny are celebrities who I always assume are Jewish until I remember they're Italian.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1502/10/2013

Gary did a really mean parody of a Jewish TV exec on Murphy Brown.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1602/10/2013

"Watching the show. I don't think Cindy is being fair."

I've watched the show and it's obvious that Laverne is the dominant personality and Shirley is kind of her sidekick. Look at the title: Laverne and Shirley. No doubt Cindy Williams thought she was taking a backseat, and she was. But they were a great team, very funny together. But there are always rivalies in a situation like that.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1702/10/2013

What does she say about Rob Reiner?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1802/10/2013

Uh, Cindy was hired to work on a show written by Penny's brother. Spun off from a show written and/or created by Penny's brother.

At what point did that heifer get the idea that the show was all about Cindy?

Meanwhile, I thought for sure Penny did the lez lez....surprised she had two babies and gave them up.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 1902/10/2013

Penny didn't raise daughter Tracey until she was about twelve. Penny ran off to LA for fame and fortune leaving her with her father.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2002/10/2013

R18, she's gracious about Rob but when their marriage ended, it was very clearly over.

Rob and Albert Brooks were very close and PM jokes that AB would wait jealously outside their bedroom for RR to emerge and hang out with him. (Their house was a crash pad for many comics.)

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2102/10/2013

Adding to R20, when daughter Tracey visited, PM would send her to the corner store for breakfast: a pack of cigs for Penny and a fudgsicle for Tracey!

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2202/10/2013

OP, your synopsis is better presented than most book reviewers could do. Makes me want to read it.

Don't care much bout Cindy Williams, but I think that Penny Marshall is a pretty fine director and has lived the life of young actress, party chick, part of a corny but very talented family, Sit-com star and all round cranky iconoclast. Sounds like she tells some stories worth reading. Odd couple, married to the meathead, Laverne and Shirley, coke and Snl, directing big time STARS, and not the least portraying the homeliest sexy chick ever.

Drew Barrymore requires some good lighting and angles if for no other reason that the girl may the angel voice and hippy presence but has a witches profile and hook nose. Sure she is not stupid about how she can look and is pretty picky about it.

I love Debra Winger even if she screwed herself over and over. Madonna would make me quit a project too, and that movie was the best film Madonna was ever presented in which says something for Penny Marshall. Same with her direction of Whoopi and Robin Williams.

Penny Marshall is kind of underrated in popular entertainment as a director. Was Tom Hanks ever more appealing than in Big ? Awakenings is a pretty fine movie too.

I want to read this book. Thanks OP.

"I know you stole quarters out of my purse" sounds like something my Italian mother would write as her last message. I get it.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2302/10/2013

The book is hilarious, especially some early passages about her grandmother. Kindle version is available to borrow for free on Amazon Prime.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2402/10/2013

[quote]Kindle version is available to borrow for free on Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime is $80 a year. Hardly FREE.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2502/10/2013

I am a little confused about what happened to the babies. She gave them up for adoption or did she have abortions?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2602/10/2013

OP, I'm assuming you meant to write that Penny got pregnant twice in the early 60s, not early 80s? Did she abort abort abort or give them up for adoption?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2702/10/2013

Cindy proved her importance to the show which basically died after she left. The terrible season that followed was just dorky Laverne stumbling around. Shirley gave the show heart.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2802/10/2013

R26 & R27, Penny miscarried one baby and aborted the other and yes, this did happen in the early '80's!

Abortion was in 1983: Ellen Barkin noticed that PM's breasts were big & asked if she was preggers. "I thought it might be Artie's (Garfunkel) but I wasn't seeing him any more. It must have been Immaculate Conception."

"Joe Pesci touched me by offering to be the child's father." (!) "As much as I loved Joe, I said no thanks."

Miscarriage happened when PM was directing "Big": "I had no idea that I was pregnant. Nor did I know who the father was. I suppose it could have been one of several guys, though I wasn't sure. I'd been on location for a while and it's easier not to worry about names."

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 2902/10/2013

r28, Shirley wasn't the heart of the show - their friendship was. Laverne couldn't carry a show on her own without her other half. That was the cold hard truth for Ms Marshall and the producers.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3002/10/2013

It was interesting to see Cindy in a dramatic role in The Conversation.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3102/10/2013

[quote]"I thought it might be Artie's (Garfunkel) but I wasn't seeing him any more. It must have been Immaculate Conception."

[quote]"I had no idea that I was pregnant. Nor did I know who the father was. I suppose it could have been one of several guys, though I wasn't sure. I'd been on location for a while and it's easier not to worry about names."

So basically, Penny was a cum receptacle in the '80s? Jesus, this woman was having unprotected sex with countless men in the height of the AIDS epidemic?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3202/10/2013

[quote] I suppose it could have been one of several guys, though I wasn't sure. I'd been on location for a while and it's easier not to worry about names.

Damn, gurl!

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3302/10/2013

Why does she read so casual about her pregnancies?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3402/10/2013

Penny and Carrie Fisher are lifelong friends, and we know what Carrie was doing in the early 80's. Do Penny and Carrie still have their "joint" birthday parties?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3502/10/2013

I can't believe there were so many guys lining up to punch Laverne's pussy. Jesus.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3602/10/2013

99% of women can get any straight guy to fuck them. They may not call them or even be nice to them in the morning but they'll leave the place fucked.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3702/10/2013

Jesus Fucking Christ! She's straight?!

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3802/10/2013

R23 - thank you for your kind words! I love memoirs & discussing the contents here.

R34, her tone throughout the book could be described as stoic: "I was the one person who always said I'd never had an abortion and then I was one of those people. It's the one thing I've regretted most. It fit that difficult time in my life. I guess everyone goes through a blue period. That was mine."

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 3902/10/2013

You don't think plenty of boys will fuck a Hollywood director? Sure helps that she's a woman, too.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4002/10/2013

Guys used to fuck Mama Cass just to say they did it. If they did it for her, they'd do it for Penny Marshall.

Or maybe Penny paid for the sex because she was a busy director and didn't want to have to work at a relationship.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4102/10/2013

[quote]Penny and Carrie Fisher are lifelong friends

No they weren't. They met around the time Carrie Fisher was dating Paul Simon and hanging around the SNL gang in NY. Penny was a guest host and Carrie set Penny up with Art Garfunkel.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4202/10/2013

[quote]set Penny up with Art Garfunkel

Which I don't understand because I always thought Art Garfunkel was sexy and could get someone better looking than buck-toothed Marshall.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4402/11/2013

I thought Penny was friends with Carrie Fisher and Meryl Streep, or was that past tense?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4502/11/2013

She's still friends with Carrie - I don't think she mentions Meryl at all in the book.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4602/11/2013

What does she say about difficult Denzel?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4702/11/2013

Carrie doesn't mention Penny once in her own book.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4802/11/2013

There are two rules Italians follow that Penny Marshall has violated: 1. Never speak poorly of your family in public or to strangers and 2. Don't be an all-out whore.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 4902/11/2013

R47, Denzel was late arriving, due to being on another film. "When he did show up, he was frustrated by the lack of reaction to his (table) read. Even Whitney was getting laughs...Then we couldn't find him the next day. I called and got nothing. Later he gave me a story about having come off another movie. "What the fuck?" I said. "Apologize to your fellow actors."

He got better for a while but later got cranky about wearing the same suit so in one scene, Penny took his place off camera and Whitney serenades her.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5002/11/2013

Sounds like Denzel was out of his comfort zone (musical or comedy). I wonder if Debra Winger regrets not making "A League of Their Own." It made a lot of money and is well-regarded.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5102/11/2013

I think it's good that she did not name names when it came to the fathers of the aborted/miscarried pregnancies. Most people would be trying to make themself look better in that situation, not worse. It was her tell all (or part) as she saw fit and it seems like she took th high road as well as the blame.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5202/11/2013

[quote]I wonder if Debra Winger regrets not making "A League of Their Own." It made a lot of money and is well-regarded.

In December, it was added to the National Film Registry. Every year, the board selects 25 films -- chosen for their cultural and historical significance -- for preservation in the Library of Congress.

Other films chosen last year -- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, DIRTY HARRY, BORN YESTERDAY, and A CHRISTMAS STORY.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5302/11/2013

[quote]So basically, Penny was a cum receptacle in the '80s? Jesus, this woman was having unprotected sex with countless men in the height of the AIDS epidemic?

I'm imagining her in the middle of a bukkake scene with men squirting cursive Ls of cum on her tits.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5402/11/2013

Despite the sort of slumped shoulders Penny had a slamming body for a while.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5502/11/2013

[quote]I suppose it could have been one of several guys, though I wasn't sure. I'd been on location for a while and it's easier not to worry about names.

"Some schlemiels put their schlamazels in my hasenpheffer incorporated."

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5602/11/2013

Amazon Prime is only $39 if you're a student or have a student email. Just a reminder if someone wants to borrow. I haven't been in Grad school for a year and still was able to get a student account. It's been awful.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, if the Denzel thing hasn't been expounded upon yet, can we do that? Thanks.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5702/11/2013

Carrie Fisher has said she and Penny no longer have their joint birthday parties and in fact are not friends anymore. "We just grew apart" she said in a recent interview, R45.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5802/11/2013

Do you think any of Penny's on-set tricks sang the Laverne & Shirley theme song while they were fucking her in her trailer?

"We're gonna do it our way, yes our way

Make all our dreams come true

For me and you..."

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 5902/11/2013

I bet Eddie Mekka did!

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6002/11/2013

"LAVERNE & Shirley" wasn't showing favoritism for Penny, "Shirley & Laverne" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6102/11/2013

The Big Ragu was actually pretty short, not really the irresistible hunk he was portrayed as.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6202/11/2013

What a fucking cunt she is, take her down.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6302/11/2013

Did she write anything about Rosie O'Donnell?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6402/11/2013

She said Rosy was a cunt

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6502/11/2013

What does she say about the Big Ragu? I'm guessing they were friends, she cast him in A League of their Own.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6602/11/2013

Does she go into detail about Whitney?

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6702/11/2013

Wow. She had two unwanted pregnancies in her early 40s? It's kind of unfathomable that a wealthy professional woman did not take care of herself at the time that AIDS was exploding.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6802/11/2013

R64, she's very fond of Rosie. In fact, when Drew Barrymore was nervous about hosting SNL after the anthrax scare, Rosie offered to step in because she was already on Cipro (the anthrax antidote.)

R67 it sounds like Whitney was still able at that stage to keep her drama somewhat private. Only minor slip-ups: She missed a few call times, had an entourage & fought on the phone with Bobby Brown a few times but PM "never saw her misbehaving or high. If she was high, I would have noticed."

R66 No mention of the Big Ragu (beyond the addition of his character to L & S. Mo stories.)

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 6902/11/2013

Squiggy didn't call him the big Ragu, he called him the big Raccoon and it made me laugh every time.

I wonder if Ed Marinaro donated some sperm and then fled? He didn't hang around the show for very long.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7002/11/2013

"Laverne is the dominant personality and Shirley is kind of her sidekick"

I didn't perceive it that way. Shirley was the more well-defined and propelled most of the plots, getting them into assorted predicaments. Laverne was just the horny doof she hauled along with her.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7102/12/2013

not really rwhatever, It was Lavrene's show. Shirley was the sidekick.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7202/14/2013

God, when I was ten or eleven, how I used to jack off furiously to Ed Marinaro when he was on Sisters.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7302/14/2013

I wonder how long Penny has left. She's gone through lung cancer and has not stopped smoking.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7402/14/2013

I know a guy who slept with Penny in the 80's, and he said she was doing Quaaludes, and that her body was amazing.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7502/14/2013

[quote] Amazon Prime is only $39 if you're a student or have a student email.

LOL!

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7602/14/2013

R73, I actually walked in on Ed Marinaro naked in his dressing room (when he was going a play) once. Just saw his butt which was glorious. Excused myself before he could tell me to get out, ha, but he just looked mildly annoyed if that. (Girlfriend at the time was in there too and just giggled). Nice guy, far better actor than given credit.

by Now, onto Garry Marshall's memoir!reply 7702/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.