Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think the relationship between Romeo and Juliet was love or lust?

The play took place over the span of a week. They met, fell in love, and died in one week. How could you get to know someone in one week?

That and also I think Juliet was underage when they met which would make Romeo a pedo.

by Anonymousreply 1302/10/2013

Troll away, you little twit.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

Romantic lust

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

Romeo was obviously looking for some action between Herpes outbreaks, having forgotten his Valtrex in Verona.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2013

I rewatched the 1968 film within the last year. I thought it was well, good casting, acting, costuming etc. One thing I did think after watching it that they did come across as two teenagers in love (esp. Hussey) -- thinking of nothing else, a bit obsessed, but something if allowed to run its course might have ended in a less bloody fashion a few months down the road.

I thought both leads were well cast, but was impressed by the acting of the actor who played Romeo. I remember thinking that the actor who played Mercertio had a lot of charisma and presense, then about half way through I realized it was Micheal York with dark curly hair.

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2013

Definitely teenaged hormones, which doesn't make the story any less affecting. In a world devoted to politics and formality, the power of pure, intense, emotion destroys everything that gets in its way.

So what if their love isn't based on understanding and common interests, and doesn't last. It's totally honest, and changes the known world.

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

OP, you do realize the life expectancy was more shorter, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

Teenage infatuation. If you remember, Romeo is so, so moody and depressed about Rosalind until he sees Juliet. And then it's Rosalind who?

Two teens led by their hormones.

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

Life was short and so was poor Romeo.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

Romeo couldn't have Tybalt so he set out to destroy the family. Those Italians really hang on to revenge.

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2013

OP. They were both of age at the time; she was 13 (almost 14) and by speculation, Romeo was a shaving 16-17 year old. Teenage love, all appropriate.

Sorry to pedo depress you.

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013

...and those crazy kids Tony and Maria, planning to run away together the day after they briefly met at a neighborhood dance.

I imagine Maria was tossed on the next boat back to P.R. and into another arranged marriage, then had four kids by the time she was 20.

by Anonymousreply 1202/10/2013

Without the suicide it would have been like Honey Boo Boo

by Anonymousreply 1302/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!