Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Identity Thief Made $36.6 mil this weekend

Suck it bitches.

Despite storm-shuttered theaters in the Northeast, “Identity Thief” took in a super-sized $36.6 million at the weekend box office, offering a counter example to the widespread belief in Hollywood that smart marketing can’t overcome dismal reviews in the Twitter age. Universal Pictures backed this relatively inexpensive comedy (budget: $35 million) with a deft ad campaign; billboards, for instance, featured a smiling Jason Bateman with the slogan “Is this the face of a sucker?” plastered across his forehead. And audiences responded, overlooking sharply negative reviews. The movie’s increasingly popular female lead, Melissa McCarthy, also helped turn out ticket buyers, particularly in the Midwest, analysts said. Making the film’s large debut even more impressive: Universal estimated that the gigantic winter storm that struck the Northeast on Friday took a 10 percent bite out of sales.

“Warm Bodies” (Lionsgate) took second place at North American theaters, selling about $11.5 million in tickets, for a two-week total of $36.7 million, according to, which compiles box-office data. The thriller “Side Effects” (Open Road) took in about $10 million in its first weekend, for third place. Two hold-overs rounded out the top five: “Silver Linings Playbook” (the Weinstein Company) sold about $6.9 million in tickets, lifting its 13-week total to about $90 million, while “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters” (Paramount) took in about $5.8 million, for a three-week total of $43.8 million.

by Melissa McCarthyreply 702/23/2013

I enjoyed it. Melissa was great. The scene where they were both in the restaurant in St. Louis was very touching.

by Melissa McCarthyreply 102/10/2013

That's a hippo sized box office take!

by Melissa McCarthyreply 202/10/2013

The majority of movie goers are idiots.

by Melissa McCarthyreply 302/10/2013

"Melissa McCarthy, also helped turn out ticket buyers, particularly in the Midwest, analysts said."

Translation: Fat Fat Fatties Love Fatty!

by Melissa McCarthyreply 402/10/2013

R2 beat me to it and said it with more wit than I would have.

by Melissa McCarthyreply 502/10/2013

See, I meant to sign that Peter Potamus.

by Melissa McCarthyreply 602/10/2013

SATURDAY 12:45 PM UPDATE: Seriously, why do studios open movies on Oscar weekend? With attention otherwise diverted, it’s hard for me or Hollywood to care about these two newcomers Friday. Audiences didn’t either. That’s why the Melissa McCarthy/Jason Bateman starrer Identity Thief will be #1 with $4.0M entering its third weekend and at least $13M through Sunday. One rival studio thinks the frenemies comedy did more Friday and can exceed $20M this weekend. Let’s see. After that there’s a lot of confusion over numbers and placements. Full analysis later today.

Summit Entertainment/Lionsgate’s father/son actioner Snitch (2,511 theaters) opened #2 with $3.7M Friday and looks like a mediocre $10.5M weekend. That’s a rare failure for Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. (No harm, no foul: I hear he really excels in surefire hit Fast & Furious 6.) Audiences gave Snitch a ‘B’ CinemaScore which won’t help or hurt the pic. Relativity’s Safe Haven was close behind with $3.5M for #3 Friday. Dimension Films/The Weinstein Company’s new extraterrestrial thriller Dark Skies (2,313 theaters) is from Paranormal Activity‘s Jason Blum so should have opened better than $3.2m Friday. It received only a ‘C+’ CinemaScore from audiences to hurt word of mouth for just an expected $9M weekend. Worse among the holdovers is Twentieth Century Fox’s first-place finisher from last weekend, A Good Day To Die Hard, which fell apart Friday and will struggle through Sunday. Guess those horrible reviews finally caught up with it. Total moviegoing this weekend looks $100M, or down -25%

by Melissa McCarthyreply 702/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!