Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

On BBC 1 right now. Hosted by a somewhat slimmed-down Stephen Fry. "Half of Hollywood is in the audience," apparently.

by Anonymousreply 12002/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

Argo seems unstoppable now.

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

Appalling that a CIA propaganda movie is winning all these awards.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

Hate R4! Never liked that Queen!

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

OMG, what a joke the Baftas are!

Ben Affleck BEST DIRECTOR over Michael Haneke and Ang Lee !!

At least Emmanuelle Riva won best actress, which she truly was last year.

Ann got another pointless award for her exhausting, overwrought performance.

Django Unchained best screenplay of the year? Another big laugh on that one. Where is Spike Lee when you need him?

The Baftas are WORSE than the Golden Globes!

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

What about the television portion of the event? Is 'Doctor Who' nominated for anything this year?

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

How much butt-kissin did Ben Afflecks do? His movie is not that great.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

I enjoyed watching the ceremony, Stephen Fry's a great host. I haven't seen Argo yet though so I can't comment on whether it deserved so many awards.

The most annoying thing about the BAFTAs recently though is that because they pander to the Oscars, half the films either haven't been released yet or have only been out for a month. In fact, when they announced the best film nominations in December I don't thin ANY of the films had actually been released in the UK.

R8 They've separated the TV and film awards. The film awards were put earlier in the year because no one cared about them if they were after the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2013

On the Henry Cavill thread it said Henry and his new beard are there. Any sign of them in the audience so far?

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013

[quote]They've separated the TV and film awards.

Is this the first time they've done that?

by Anonymousreply 1202/10/2013

R11 He presented an award with Martin Freeman and the camera cut to him a couple of times. He looked hot but I thought his hair was a bit too long. I didn't notice the beard.

Speaking of gays though, did anyone see Jeremy Renner present the award for Best Actress? Stephen Fry introduced him as a 'male actress' and then Renner sissied that walk all the way down that stage.

by Anonymousreply 1302/10/2013

Why is Henry Cavill there? What film of his is nominated?

by Anonymousreply 1402/10/2013

R12 No, they've been separate since 1997. Film awards just before the Oscars and TV awards in May.

by Anonymousreply 1502/10/2013

ARGO winning Best Picture is a total joke. They are really kissing up to Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 1602/10/2013

There's a pic of Henry Cavill and the beard in the DM article at the linked thread. Huge amount of space between them.

by Anonymousreply 1702/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 1802/10/2013

[quote]Huge amount of space between them.

Aren't they just raising suspicions by looking so uncomfortable together? Someone needs to tell them to start holding hands or something.

by Anonymousreply 1902/10/2013

Not that it matters a lick in the grand scheme of things, but Ben Affleck being on the road to winning a Best Picture Oscar for "Argo" is totally annoying for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2002/10/2013

Spoiler Alert:

BAFTA: ‘Argo’ Wins Best Film And Best Director, Daniel Day-Lewis Lead Actor, Emmanuelle Riva Lead Actress, Anne Hathaway Supporting Actress, Christoph Waltz Supporting Actor, ‘Django Unchained’ & ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ Screenplays, ‘Brave’ Animation, ‘Amour’ Foreign, ‘Skyfall’ Best British Film

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

R12 it's been done since the mid 90s I think. R8 is right as they were held later in the year before and it was very awkward to see Bet Lynch of Coronation Street mingle with John Travolta.

I liked Emmanuelle Riva's win (knew she would here) and I may have imagined it but JLaw made a face when she didn't show up, Marion seemed sort of pleased.

But though I didn't mind the winners, I agree these awards are a joke. I like Stephen Fry but though part of the industry he's a bad choice for this and makes it seem too stuffy.

The biggest annoyance is as indicated by R1's post is yet again this shitfest doesn't even go out live on the BBC (I was watching Mr Selfridge so didn't care). Awards shows aren't shown live on UK TV, honestly what's the bloody point.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

Why would they give Waltz supporting? It should go to Tommy Lee Jones.

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

Because Tommy Lee Jones is an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

They cancelled my last performance in THE HEIRESS.. for this?!!

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

I would have liked to have seen Christoph if he shown up, think he's bald now after sporting that nasty beard.

S/Actor is the only interesting category in terms of upset despite being boring on paper with all the winners. To me PSH was best, but TLJ also good and can take it. But some are saying De Niro again (really?). Arkin can fuck right off.

I did catch Cavill and he looked very tall next to Martin Freeman who is ageing horribly.

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

[quote]I did catch Cavill and he looked very tall next to Martin Freeman

I guess that's why Martin is a hobbit.

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

lol, R27, I did have that in mind as well but Henry seemed pretty tall, about 6 foot.

I liked that producer guy of Searching for the Sugar Man which won Best Documentary, which was pretty late in the show compared to it being near the start with the Oscars. I thought he was French, but he's Swedish. Since this is up for Oscar I imagine it must win, it's easily the best known.

by Anonymousreply 2802/10/2013

[quote]Why is Henry Cavill there? What film of his is nominated?

That's what I'd like to know. He's such a shitty actor that neither he or his films will ever be nominated. Guess his PR people wanted him to attend so that he could get his picture taken with the beard.

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

I can't stand Stephen Fry. He's so obsequious and wordy, it's embarrassing. Cringe.

Henry's beard looks fat next to him. I don't think he'll have much of a film career after Superman. He's such a plank of wood.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

[quote]Why is Henry Cavill there? What film of his is nominated?

Uhm, because he's GORGEOUS?

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

Kudos to the guy in that long ago thread who predicted SKYFALL would win Best British Film over the odious LES MIZ (despite the ridiculous and continued protestations of at least one poster who declared LES MIZ would sweep).

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2013

Hey, R4:

If you don't want to know something, STAY OFF THE FUCKING INTERNET.

The world actually doesn't need to modify its entire schedule to accommodate your every wish and desire.

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2013

[quote]Uhm, because he's GORGEOUS?

You sound like a pathetic fangirl.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013

The look on David O Russell's face when EmmanuelleRiva won was priceless. Could someone technical-minded please make a GIF of that?

by Anonymousreply 3602/10/2013

Ugggh. Kevin Spacey. Man, his hairline couldn't recede any further.

The British weather, food, booze and rentboys strike again.

by Anonymousreply 3702/10/2013

Don't have a GIF but found this R36, lol

JLaw can go fuck herself now, looked like her SNL skit wasn't a joke and there wasn't even a compliment for Emmanuelle in it, unlike all the others.

by Anonymousreply 3802/10/2013

It's a shame they left Simon Ward out of the In Memoriam segment.

He was a hot piece of ass when he played young Winston Churchill and his daughter Sophie's an out lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 3902/10/2013

Is it true that Fry made a comment about beards and the camera panned to SJP?? Someone tweeted that.

by Anonymousreply 4002/10/2013

Riva will win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 4102/10/2013

thanks for that awesome link r38 that is priceless. Could they look any more pissed.

Best actress is Riva's to lose now I believe. I will be standing and cheering in my living room when she wins. Very well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

Nobody has ever heard of Riva, and nobody has seen that movie. You think the Americans are going to award the French? Get real!

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

Ummm well...

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

They have before R43 - quite recently in fact, and I did not get another nomination this year...

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

It will be cool to see last year's FRENCH Best Actor winner, Jean Dujardin, present this year's Best Actress to the very FRENCH Riva.

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

Now if only the anti-Anne Hathaway movement has gained enough momentum to get Sally Field that supporting Oscar....

The backlash against Anne is getting bigger daily, but will it be big enough and in time before all the votes are in? We live in hope...

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

Why is Hathaway winning all these awards?

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

You sound insufferable, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

Was Tommy Lee Jones wearing a caftan tonight? It appeared that way.

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2013

[quote]It will be cool to see last year's FRENCH Best Actor winner, Jean Dujardin, present this year's Best Actress to the very FRENCH Riva.

Not to mention, Riva's 86th birthday is on that very day (Feb. 24) so that would be a nice present, too.

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2013

[quote]Why is Hathaway winning all these awards?

Why is Argo winning all these awards? If the Academy had nominated Ben Afflecks for best director, Argo wouldn't be winning best picture. I guess every award show owes Ben Afflecks the best picture award, and decided to forget about Steven Spielberg. That's messed up!

by Anonymousreply 5202/11/2013

Yes, I don't get the Argo fever, either.

by Anonymousreply 5302/11/2013

Riva absolutely will not win. Very few voters managed to see the whole movie, I would assume. It's about old French people facing death.

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2013

Anything can happen but if I had to guess I'd say Riva will win. Even Nicole Kidman has publicly proclaimed Riva's the finest performance of the year. (And Nicole's one of Naomi Watts's best friends.)

Then there's the fact that, although r43 has never heard of her, people who work in film know her. Most Academy members have at least seen Hiroshima Mon Amour. Hundreds of them no doubt had to study it in college and or film school. I know I did.

And she's the oldest best actress nominee.

And the oscars are on her 86th birthday.

Her performance has the momentum.

But mostly because she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 5502/11/2013

I would think watching all of Amour should be of great interest to Academy members.

The median age of Academy members is 62 so it's not as if the subject is not personal and of great moment.

The movie is stunning, at moments scary and exciting, and very emotional. At times it plays as much as a horror film or a mystery as it does as an intimate drama.

There are only three movies nominated for best picture and director. One would think that it shouldn't be that much of a burden for the voters to watch those three films in their entirety.

by Anonymousreply 5602/11/2013

PSH should have won, Waltz was not that great in that movie IMO, he is too stiff at doing comedy. Anne Hathaway, Ben Affleck, Skyfall - please this is ridiculous. Hathaway and Affleck are just good at running an aggressive PR campaign, but both are not talented at all. Skyfall made a lot of money but apart from Javier Bardem, Judi Dench and Ben Wishaw the movie had just good camera sequences and a lame story and lame lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 5802/11/2013

"Only a few pretentious gays think Riva will win."

NIcole Kidman is pretentious and gay?

by Anonymousreply 5902/11/2013

I don't know what's worse.

Those who can't handle an actress deservedly winning for a brilliant comic performance in a popular entertainment (Marisa Tomei, My Cousin Vinnie).

Or those who can't handle the possibility of an actress deservedly winning for a brilliant dramatic performance in what we used to call an "art film" (Emmanuelle Riva, Amour).

by Anonymousreply 6002/11/2013

Why don't the BAFTAs have the previous year's winners present the award to the opposite sex like the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 6302/11/2013

[quote]I can't stand Stephen Fry. He's so obsequious and wordy, it's embarrassing. Cringe.

His whole schtick is a joke! He's hiding taking the piss under purported obsequiousness, and he uses wordiness to aid that intent. I'm sorry you don't get that.

by Anonymousreply 6402/11/2013

Fry did indeed open by drawing attention to his facial hair and saying he was far from the only actor there with a beard. (Surprised knowing laughter.)

When Clooney presented he thanked Fry for making his own facial hair more acceptable. Then a weird little awkward pause, before doing his duty. (Where was he going with that?) Another plain-sight in-joke probably.

Spacey is evidently keeping his snug little House Of Cards wig, which in fact makes his face look older.

Fry just about gets away with his edgy verbosity, which he needs to given he advises everyone else to keep their speeches short.

The 'Argo' love seems surprising, but I suppose BAFTA needs to push a support-your-local-cinema thriller rather than other 'harder sells.'

by Anonymousreply 6502/11/2013

Thank you, R32.

by Anonymousreply 6802/11/2013

[quote]I didn't want to fly to London just to present

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 6902/11/2013

I get it, R64. I just don't think it's funny or clever. And it's mostly just obsequiousness. It's that unfunny "oh, all the Hollywood celebs have come to little Britain...!" It's not funny. It's just cringey.

And they always over egg the script: "She's the biggest film star in the world! Sarah Jessica Parker!" "He's having a great success in such films as Pulp Fiction...Tim Roth!" (Pulp Fiction was about 20 years ago.)

The whole show is about British discomfort with giving out awards and not being the Oscars.

And R64, the A-list only comes when they're on the hunt for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 7002/11/2013

Skyfall was such a ridiculous film with huge plotholes. Awarding it indicates that the Baftas have lost their credibility.

by Anonymousreply 7102/11/2013

I 100% agree with R 71 about Skyfall.

Dredful, dredful film. The fact that it has not been nominated for anything else at any other award ceremony speaks volumns. I also only think it was a success at the British box office because every cinema was showing in at least three different screens about 20 times a day and there was nothing else to see.

Horrible cringeworthy one liners like "I like you better without your berreta". The roof top chase sceen was a rip off of Bourne, the scene where he is removing something from under his skin was a rip off from the Mancunian Candidate and the Bardem's capture and escape sceen was a rip off from Silence of the Lambs.

I also think Bardem has damaged his promising career with such a terrible performance.

Finally the tube crash sceen was no better than the tram crash sceene in Cornonation Street.

by Anonymousreply 7202/11/2013

Well I thought the roll eye Affleck gave when he and Cooper were on the stage might mean they are the answer to that Bi about 2 men who fought at the Oscars Party because one slept with the others wife.

The one thing that was so sickening was the gross sycophantic warblings of the likes of Affleck and Cooper and some other of the Hollywood elite. It was so vulgar.

I don't need some talentless fame whore telling me how important British film is.

by Anonymousreply 7302/11/2013

What the fuck are we going to do? That fucking cunt Afflec won more awards???

by Anonymousreply 7402/11/2013

I didn't even recognize Tim Roth.

Martin Freeman is much too old for that haircut.

David O. Russell looks like a disenchanted crow in that audience pic. He's repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 7502/11/2013

Argo is a routine thriller. The supposed based-on-actual-events selling point is a con. The plot has been "heightened" beyond belief.

Zero Dark Thirty is the film Argo pretends to be but it handles much more difficult subject matter (torture, terrorism and global politics) in a sophisticated, non-jingoistic way.

Argo is a routine caper flick a la Oceans Eleven whereas Zero Dark Thirty is a political thriller like All The President's Men.

In every department, technical and artistic, ZDT is superlative. A masterpiece.

Django Unchained was a disappointment to me: I loved Inglorious Bastards and all of Tarantino'd previous films but this one is a minor work at best and is probably his feeblest effort.

by Anonymousreply 7602/11/2013

I thought something was wrong with Stephen Fry - he looked kinda different, I wondered if he was ill too, like Michael York ?

I just knew Riva would get best actress, as she will at the Oscars too. Pleased about that. But if Riva's co-star Jean-Louis Trintignant was also in the running as best actor, I am not so sure DDL would get his automatic win.

Looks like Les Miz is only going to clean up as regards best supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 7702/11/2013

This is cute.. Tom Hiddleston hugging Eddie Redmayne pt. 1

by Anonymousreply 7802/11/2013

This is cute.. Tom Hiddleston hugging Eddie Redmayne pt. 2

by Anonymousreply 7902/11/2013

Yes r39, they also omitted Jon Finch, another interesting actor who died last year. In fact their annual round-up of who died was rather short and didn't include Whitney or Donna who appeared in movies too.

by Anonymousreply 8002/11/2013

What parallel universe do you live in r43? Obviously not interested in anything not American. Riva is an accaimed French actress, in films since the 1960s and Haneke is a famous director. It has been the hot European movie since May when it won at Cannes Film Festival. Thats a film festival in France in case you did not know.

Oscars have been given to European actresses before: Simone Signoret, Sophia Loren, and Marion Cotillard a few years ago for La Vie En Rose.

by Anonymousreply 8102/11/2013

The Academy Awards will collapse completely if Argo wins

by Anonymousreply 8302/11/2013

[R9] Ben must have ben-tover for many reviewers because the movie ARGO is the best reviewed movie of the year.

by Anonymousreply 8402/11/2013

Dimitri Doganis, one of the guys who won a Bafta for The Imposter-who the fuck is he? Gorgeous. I bet Clooney hit on him.

by Anonymousreply 8502/11/2013

I'm not surprised Riva won the BAFTA but I don't see her winning on Oscar night. Though I'd place her in third behind Lawrence and Chastain, it would still be an upset. And Watts could spoil it for all of them. I would be pleased to see anyone other than the 9 year-old win.

by Anonymousreply 8702/11/2013

Just because they didn't watch Amour doesn't mean they won't vote for her. You really think all the Academy members vote on movies they've seen?

It could be because she's the oldest, it could be because word of mouth is great, it could be because they don't want a young woman winning. Whatever, she still has a good shot..

by Anonymousreply 8802/11/2013

I think the kid will win Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 8902/11/2013

r62 I thought Meryl Streep cancelled last minute due to illness and SJP subbed.

I don't get Argo or Silver Linings Playbook hype. Lincoln and Les Miz had it all over both of these mediocre films. I would even put the movie, The Sessions over Argo and SLP. It was great and should have been seen by many more.

by Anonymousreply 9002/11/2013

Aaron Taylor-Johnson should have won the BAFTA for being Hot As Fuck in Anna Karenina

by Anonymousreply 9102/11/2013

Stephen Fry's love and admiration for Sally Field was rather touching. He waxed rhapsodic about her to that preggers Scotswoman on the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 9202/11/2013

[quote]I don't get Argo or Silver Linings Playbook hype.

Didn't see "Argo" but did see "SLP" and couldn't agree with you more, R90. "SLP" surely has to be one of the most overhyped films of the year. And as I've said here several times, Bradley Cooper has NO business being in the Best Actor category, especially not when John Hawkes was left by the wayside.

by Anonymousreply 9302/11/2013

r86, have you seen Amour? Or are you just making assumptions?

by Anonymousreply 9402/11/2013

Zero Dark Thirty is the biggest film disappointment I've had this year. I can't believe Chastain is getting so much hype for that role. Jennifer Ehle is much more memorable in her supporting turn.

It was way too long, and not particularly gripping. I think the reason it fell out of favor has nothing to do with the "controversy" (which has pretty much passed, anyway) and more to do with "emperor's new clothes." There's nothing there.

by Anonymousreply 9502/11/2013

There's no accounting for taste, R95, so I won't try to change your opinion on ZDT (and you won't change mine). My view is exactly the opposite of yours (for example, I loved Chastain's performance) but I do agree with you that Jennifer Ehle was remarkable.

You weren't captivated by ZDT so that explains why it felt long to you but I can't think of any sequences that could have been cut. It was a large, complex story that would have the screenwriter and detractor handled perfectly IMO.

The films that I found tedious and overlong this year were Les Miz and Django. Talk about "much binding in the marsh"! At least Leo di Caprio was excellent and so was Christopher Waltz. Tarantino winning a Bafta for the script has me scratching my head.

Argo wasn't particularly long but they sure padded out the story to try to give it some fake climaxes. A pleasant-enough movie but I can't believe it is being held in such high regard. It's no Dog Day Afternoon.

I haven't seen Silver Lining Playbook but will be catching up with that this week.

by Anonymousreply 9602/11/2013

Sorry - sloppy editing: lose the "would have" from the second para.

by Anonymousreply 9702/11/2013

Substitute "director" for the spell-checked "detractor". I'm not wearing my glasses so i didn't notice.

by Anonymousreply 9802/11/2013

Honestly, it's a weak year. Les Mis was a total joke. Life of Pi was visually stunning, but the story was often dull and forced. Zero Dark Thirty had all the promise in the world, but the first half was so muddled, it ruined the terrific second half. Lincoln felt like a well acted history book; the narrative drive was dull, even though the subject matter was interesting. Silver Linings Playbook has maybe the worst third act of any "Oscar" film I can recall. Each film had at least one fatal flaw.

Argo, to me, was the best of the bad crop. And it didn't have a major flaw. It was solid, steady. And I flat out enjoyed it more than any of the other films nominated.

by Anonymousreply 9902/12/2013

This 100th poster thinks that R99 is way too cranky about last year's crop of films. It was generally considered to be a better year than usual.

by Anonymousreply 10002/12/2013

Haha, R100. I'm not cranky at all! I just think Argo was the most complete film on the list. I really, really wanted it to be ZDT or Lincoln, but both films missed the mark for me. Silver Linings Playbook is usually something that I love, but the whole Dance Off and Bet Off were just ridiculous to me. So, that leaves Argo, which I think is a smart, capable film.

My favorite films of the year is Perks of Being a Wallflower, Amour, and Safety Not Guaranteed fwiw...

by Anonymousreply 10102/12/2013

Argo had cheesey third act problems as well, R100. With Iranian security officers staying on one end of a ringing trying to reach a vacant office on a studio lot for what seemed like 10 minutes. Yeah, right. Same Iranian security chasing a departing plane down a runway...for what? Totally stupid. Giving all the credit for the mission's success to the American CIA agent, rather than the Canadian diplomats who risked their lives for our countrymen? Guess that didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth? The filmmakers went to great lengths to say this was a true story except, of course, where it wasn't.

Argo fuck yourself, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 10202/12/2013

I didn't mind the cheesy aspects of Argo Act III, they seemed perfectly right for this movie which a) does not, unlike ZD30 present itself as literal historical document, and b) thematically rides between history and caper, espionage and Hollywood.

I understand the counterargument and I agree the last airport scene is very heightened and stretches belief. But I don't see it as an impediment to the movie's currency, which is not exact historical verisimilitude, but telling an exciting story which, while respectful of the historical events depicted, is not a document of them, and which plays with the blurred line between genres, constantly playing wi fantastic illusion versus grim consequences.

This can't be compared to Zero Dark Thirty which is done in a documentary style, albeit an uneven one, and which blatantly presents itself as documentation of events.

by Anonymousreply 10302/12/2013

[quote] they seemed perfectly right for this movie which a) does not, unlike ZD30 present itself as literal historical document, and b) thematically rides between history and caper, espionage and Hollywood.

b) negates a).

Argo is a c)rock

by Anonymousreply 10402/12/2013

R103 said it much better than I could have, R102.

But I do appreciate your critiques against the overall efficacy of Argo. I just don't happen to agree. Or, I agree in part, but they imperfections of Argo seem minor and easy to justify or overlook when compared to the imperfections of ZDT, Lincoln and SLP.

by Anonymousreply 10502/12/2013

What is the beard thing? - Clooney, Affleck, Bardem, Cooper, Phoenix, Jackson - all with facial hair, not to mention Stephen Fry and his tres witty comment on not being the only actor to turn up with his beard ....

by Anonymousreply 10602/12/2013

All the men you list (Fry and Phoenix excluded) look very sexy with the extra facial hair, R106.

by Anonymousreply 10702/12/2013

'Zero Dark Thirty' is a film about Intelligence (capital "i") and the concentration of power in the various arms of government.

It requires an audience to have intelligence (small "i") and the power of concentration, two things in short supply in the movie-going public.

The early interrogation/torture scenes are very uncomfortable viewing but most people were more turned off by the lack of easy answers provided by the filmmakers. Moral relativism doesn't go over well in the multiplexes nor in the Academy.

To them 'Argo' is real.

by Anonymousreply 10802/12/2013

I had no problem with the squirm inducing element of the torture scenes in ZDT. I had problems with the storytelling, and by extension, the direction. It was muddled. I don't mind having to work while watching a film. In fact, I love it. But I do need some sort of payoff. I need to know that I'm not wasting my time or energy. I feel that the first half of ZDT tried too hard to make me squirm and not hard enough trying to tell a story. It was borderline arrogant. And because it was "work" getting through the first half, when the payoff didn't pan out, it turned me off as a viewer. It sullied the rest of the film, which I thought was taut, well acted, and pretty close to brilliant. The hubris of the first half ruined the greatness of the second half.

by Anonymousreply 10902/12/2013

I had problems because the use of torture was, in addition to being questionable, sensationalistic.

by Anonymousreply 11002/12/2013

Um, R110, you do realize of course that torture is used by the CIA.

To not show it would have been to lie. I just got out of the movie and it was clear that the good intelligence came from bribes and/or luck, plus dedicated people like the Chastain character. It was also pretty tame compared to the stuff we know went on at Abu Gharib.

by Anonymousreply 11102/12/2013

[quote]I can't believe Chastain is getting so much hype for that role. Jennifer Ehle is much more memorable in her supporting turn.

Because Ehle had a flashy role that was more typical of a procedural-type film. She was like the ZDT equivalent of the sassy BFF and/or gay neighbor character in a rom com.

Chastain felt more like a real person who would actually be employed by the CIA.

by Anonymousreply 11202/12/2013

I did like the bit of direction when Chastain and Ehle's character's first meet. They begin challenging each other but it doesn't become a bitchfest.

by Anonymousreply 11302/12/2013

What happend to JLaw.

A few years back she seemed so healthy and beautiful.]

]Now something seems off about her face and whole mannerisms. She comes off nervous in pics. And she is now too skinny,

by Anonymousreply 11402/12/2013

I like her and hope she wins that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 11502/12/2013

Ehle can enliven anything as she proved with Contagion (stealing the movie from Damon, Cotillard, Paltrow, Jackson and an all star cast) and even the bathetic Possession (stealing the movie from Eckhart, Paltrow and Northam) and looking absoutely gorgeous doing so.

Hopefully, Hollywood will finally take notice and continue to embrace one of the finest stage actors of our time who also has true screen presence. Give her more to do!

Anyway, the issue isn't whether Chastain, Lawrence, and Wallis were good. They were very good. As were Weisz, Mirren and I presume many others this year including Watts, whom I have not seen.

But no one can touch Riva.

by Anonymousreply 11602/18/2013

R86 yes LVER was a traditional Oscar performance - clearly if Marion didn't win, no foreign language performance ever would again. The narrative there was that Julie Christie would win as she steamrollered over everyone UNTIL Cotillard won the BAFTAs and her breathless speech. That year the BAFTAs predicted all four winners.

Riva is a hors catégorie, but nevertheless she is touted as JLaw's competition. Some pundits like Awards Circuit are in fact predicting her. Not only does she have the quality of performance above all, but she gets oldest win - and on her birthday. Like Marion she wipes the floor with her competition and it's hard to see why they wouldn't go for her.

by Anonymousreply 11702/23/2013

You mean The Imposter and Sugar Man won, R85? How confusing.. I see it won Debut British Film. And yes, I looked him up and very nice.

This is the only year I've been interested in the Documentary category and I've always meant to watch more of them. The Imposter was the other one I had heard of and meant to see but I caught some others.

The Gatekeepers is alright but seems generic, it's really heavy and assumes you have a good knowledge of the subject already so will only appeal to some, just witness accounts really with the odd flashy bit and all subtitled.

The non nominated The Secret Disco Revelation is fun, camp and doesn't take itself too seriously, much like the genre itself with some surprising academic analysis. Really for fans of this, but they aren't telling you anything new and preaching to the converted.

How to Survive a Plague is a fucking revelation though, man this is powerful stuff. I had heard of this when a friend had bigged it up and boy he wasn't wrong. I have the Sugar Man Bluray which is worth it for the bonus features with the megacute director alone, which I'll watch before the Oscars start and it must be pretty fucking good to top Plague. I can see either winning now, but Sugar has the recognition and transcended its category.

by Anonymousreply 11802/23/2013

I agree R99 it seemed a pretty weak year, one only has to look at the acting category, lack of starpower and truly great performances barring a couple of ones that do stand out. Don't really see any classics either, I think Amour is the most memorable.

I also liked Argo a lot, surely noone wants that tedious shitfest Lincoln to win? I don't get the hatred toward Affleck. So he's a shit actor but look at the turn around - a decade ago he was touching J-Lo's ass in her "Jenny From the Block" video.

I didn't like his acting, but I like him as a director, or maybe his films rather - Gone Baby Gone was a great debut, The Town was very solid and this one was his most ambitious yet. Plus his BAFTA speech was very heartfelt about how he had been given a second act. I'm surprised that Beasts director got in instead of him.

I saw Reds the other day and it struck me he was kinda like Warren - dull wooden pretty boy actor but with hidden depth. Affleck's films have more of a popcorn side to them and are more about entertainment than the intelligence of Beatty's but I dunno, films also weren't as dumbed down then. The fact he's also compared to Clint Eastwood must mean he's doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 11902/23/2013

Emmanuelle Riva and JLT just won a Cesar last night (French Oscar). 'Amour' was best film, Haneke best director.

Hoping for a repeat on sunday!

by Anonymousreply 12002/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!