Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

British or Down Under actors in American films

Why so many? They often just play American characters. Are they supposed to be more professional or something? Work cheaper?

Here's just a partial list: Nicole Kidman; Naomi Watts; Jude Law; Russell Crowe; Emily Blunt; Minnie Driver; Keira Knightley; Toni Collette; Thandie Newton; Robert Pattinson; Hugh Jackman; Guy Pearce; Mel Gibson; Daniel Craig; Liam Hemsworth...

You see what I mean? They almost dominate the industry.

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2014

Because, in comparison to many American actors, they can actually act.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

They get much better training than young American actors.

Young American actors think that all they have to do is get a nose job and go to LA, where they'll be able to "learn on the job".

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

[quote]You see what I mean? They almost dominate the industry.

I agree. I'm so sick of this stupid UK/Irish/Aussie shit in every goddamn American film.

R1 & R1 = Bullshit. Did you not read OP's list? Half the people on that list are shitty actors.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

they come cheap.

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2013

They're much better actors with much stronger training.

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2013

And, as you chaps say, they're much hotter.

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

American actors are often chosen on looks alone. Which means they often aren't talented actors.

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

Let me your star!

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

Be your star! Be your star! I'm new at this but gosh I'm pretty and lots of important people really like me.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

I have no problem with foreign talent coming to the US if they actually settle here and become apart of American society in exchange for getting so much work in America. What bothers me is when they come over here solely for work and then act so annoyed at having to be in the US.

Nicole Kidman and Mel Gibson shouldn't be on the OP's list considering they're both American born and hold dual citizenship with the US and Australia.

by Anonymousreply 1002/11/2013

get OVER yourself, R10. you couldn't act yourself out of a paper bag!

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2013

R11, at what point in that post did I claim I could act myself "out of a paper bag"?

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

then you should shut the fuck up about it!

by Anonymousreply 1302/11/2013

It's just a matter of corporate movie-making. It's often part of the financing, too: more money can be raised on bankable names.

And the Brits act better and they're cheaper. Some of them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1402/11/2013

R13, the whole purpose of this site is for people to share their opinions dear, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 1502/11/2013

The average American thinks Brits are "classy" and Aussies are charmingly rugged and unique. These perceived qualities covers for any deficiencies they may have in the acting department.

There are thousands of Aussie actors in Hollywood because their home industry is completely fucked. Not sure what the British excuse is.

by Anonymousreply 1602/11/2013

They let too many British actors into America, it is true. Why don't they place more restrictions on them? They take jobs away from Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1702/11/2013

God. You all sound awful! Hissing at each other.

by Anonymousreply 1802/11/2013

The film industry no larger has borders, it just comes down to who the director wants, regardless of nationality. Les Miserables for example was a British film and had British, American and Australian actors in it, all playing French people.

by Anonymousreply 1902/11/2013

thank God we have British actors and actresses in our movies. as noted above, they can actually act. they are trained, and not just in 'improvisation.' they've acted the classics. which means they can actually think their way through a scrip and find motivation for their character. american actors, so many of them, are just fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2002/11/2013

I think it's a myth that British/Aussie actors are better trained. That may been the case once upon a time, since so many started out in theater. But the younger crop has not done much, if any, theater, let alone go to school for drama. People just like to put down Americans, no matter the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 2102/11/2013

Why do you think that is R21?

by Anonymousreply 2202/11/2013

Brits and Aussies do what they're told and work like professionals. To them, it's a job, not a lifestyle. Americans chick hissy fits and won't do this and won't do that, running off to their trailers and refusing to perform until they get their own way.

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

R19, yeah! The film industry should bring back those borders that stopped the likes of Pola Negri, Ramon Navarro, Greta Garbo, Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Marlene Dietrich, Bela Lugosi... (and don't get me started on directors and screenplay authors!)...

OP and quite a few posters on this thread are sounding a lot like Tea Partiers ranting against wetbacks and Canadians. Are you lot being serious???

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

It's just that Hollywood dominates worldwide filmmaking.

Every actor in the world dreams of making it big here.

Of course we end up suctioning up the talent in the English-speaking world (with perhaps the exception of South Asia).

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

op you forget Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

And Sam Neil, Geoffrey Rush, Anna Paquin, Hugo Weaving, Eric Bana, Simon Baker, Rose Byrne, Ryan Kwanten, Julian McMahn, Sam Worthington, Rachael Griffiths, Olivia Newton-John, Judy Davis, Paul Hogan, Alan Dale, Rebel Wilson and Rod Taylor to name just a few...

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

Movies are an international business now more than ever. The studios are part of international media conglomerates. Filming takes place in whatever country will be cheap and convenient. The studios are chasing international as well as domestic audiences, which is helped by casting internationally instead of restricting casting to one country.

[quote] What bothers me is when they come over here solely for work and then act so annoyed at having to be in the US.

Most people would have some misgivings about feeling career pressures to relocate to an industry town in another country with another culture. If the media business ends up centering in Beijing or someplace else in the future American actors will have some misgivings about moving too. Plenty of American actors already voice some frustrations about being away from home in other countries for shooting purposes (where they have went solely for work) and talk about strains the travel of the acting lifestyle puts on them and their relationships.

I don't normally see international actors complain much about America or Hollywood anyway. Plenty of them have had a lot of nice things to say about America and kept any comments about Hollywood quite diplomatic. I've seen more criticism of Hollywood and its practices and attitudes from American actors actually.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

[quote]they can actually act. they are trained, and not just in 'improvisation.' they've acted the classics.

I actually agree. Many actually went to school specifically for acting whereas the likes of Cruise, Robertson and Will Smith either fucked their way with looks, nepotism or sheer luck to get into movies. Hollywood is too much into pretty faces and some dumbass will say "this rapper/model/pop singer" is hot right now, let's put him in pictures" when he has visible acting talent or training. Hence we have these celebrities in our movies playing themselves over and over again instead of actors doing roles.

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

If you're serious, you're an idiot, OP.

Europeans MADE Hollywood. They've always been a part of it, alongside Americans etc.

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

As others have said, these guys have often been to drama school, and are mostly down to earth and professional. They don't put on airs and expect the rest of the crew to treat them like gods.

Actors like Judy Dench, Judy Davis, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Richard Roxburgh are also very experienced stage actors.

Those actors who never went to drama school, usually have had a lot of TV or stage experience before they hit Hollywood (Eric Bana, Guy Pearce).

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

[quote[has visible acting talent

Should be NO visible acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

[quote] Actors like Judy Dench

It's JUDI, you fucker!

Now get me a chai tea and warm your hands. My bunions need a going over.

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

Give me any movie with

Toni Collette, Guy Pearce, Ben Mendelsohn, Jacki Weaver

Tom Hiddleston, Kate Winslet, Judi Dench and and and

Christoph Waltz, Javier Bardem, Marion Cotillard

I am automatically interested.

Give me a movie with

Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck, Scarlett Johannson or Tom Cruise

in it and I get bored stiff.

Not that american actors are not good but the good ones

PSH, William Macey, John Goodman ... and and and usually don't become A-Listers. I also find a lot of foreign movies much more thought provoking, daring, intelligent and challenging.

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2013

The Irish always had a foot in the entertainment industry as entertainers. Most Aussies are of Irish extraction and chavish Brits.

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2013

I don't think the Brits can act any better than the US actors,it depends on the movies you go to, but are the US actors allowed to act in the British films? susan mooney

by Anonymousreply 3605/03/2014

What about British Down Low actors in American films?

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2014

They make it so much easier for me to have an interesting show.

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2014

Did you mean ENGLISH (from England) actors? Or BRITISH (from the UK)actors? If the latter, then all of the Scots, Irish and Welsh actors working in Yank films have been overlooked, such as:

Scots: Butler, McGregor, Bannan, Capaldi, Coltrane, Connery, MacDonald, Hannah, McAvoy, Scott, Tennant, Williamson, Conti

Irish: Farrell, Brosnan, Rhys Meyers, Neeson, Branagh, Byrne, Gambon, Rea, Meany

Welsh: Burton, Hopkins, Bale, Pryce, Zeta-Jones, Sheen, Milland, Griffith, Jones, Dalton

More Aussies: Joel Edgerton, Jacki Weaver, Anthony LaPaglia

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2014

Nothing is worse than an American actor doing a shitty British accent. The only actors on OP's list that I really like are Jude Law, Guy Pearce and Daniel Craig. I can't remember if Law or Craig have done American accents but Pearce was phenomenal in Mildred Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2014

I've had enough of Brits and Aussies taking film roles from American actors (and no I'm not an actor). Why don't they make movies in their own shitty countries?

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2014

On OP list there are only 3 that are decent--Guy Pierce Daniel Craig Toni Collette

But there are plenty of other Australians and actors from the UK who are very fine actors.

They are trained better and are smarter and unlike here, it takes more than being pretty.

I mean come on, Ewan McGregor (who is pretty cute I will admit) or musclehead wooden actor Liam Hemsworth--oh my bad, he is Australian, right? Well, substitute Stallone or Lautner or some other muscle freako.

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2014

Oh no, r35! Not chavish Brits!

by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2014

UK actors are allowed special visa to work on U.S.

by Anonymousreply 4505/04/2014

It's time this phase of hollyweird comes to a close. The last 10 years have been horrendous. I'm not anti-Brit or anti-Aussie at all, but it's absurd that there are no big-budget movies these days without 1 of them. That remake of "The Great Gatsby" is probably the biggest example, and it was complete shit.

It's not like all these Brit and Aussie actors coming in are any better looking or more talented; most of them are just as average looking and talented, if not worse off than the American ones.

If hollyweird wants to keep going international, let's bring in other countries not just UK and OZ.

A lot of these actors can't do an American accent any better than an American doing a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 4605/04/2014

R39 - The Republic of Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

You're mixing up actors from Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 4705/04/2014

[quote]Irish and Scottish people don't call themselves Brits. Neither do the Welsh.

Except for the people from the Republic of Ireland, to all of them I say: Tough shit.

The Northern Irish (like Liam Neeson), the Scots and the Welsh ARE all Brits.

The End.

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2014

[quote]Nothing is worse than an American actor doing a shitty British accent.

Except a British actor doing a shitty American accent.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2014

R48 - your orange panties are showing.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2014

Actually, I thought his accent in Celebrity was worse, r49. As was his feeble attempt to imitate Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 5105/05/2014

I've been dabbling in acting for a couple of years now. Classes, local theatre, acting coach, indie films. I think I'm pretty good. I've been thinking about going over to the UK to see if I can land some work; as an experiment. If they turn me down then I know that they're discriminating.

by Anonymousreply 5205/05/2014

They are better-trained actors. Others probably already said this upthread, several times, but I'll say it again.

Also, they can do accents really well - especially the Australian actors.

by Anonymousreply 5305/05/2014

oh please not all of them are even trained. Alex Pettyfer anyone? not only are his looks greatly overrated (he's not hot) but the bitch can't act.

Let's not pretend all these UK and OZ guys are all as good and hot as Hugh Jackman. I have no problem with Jackman's hollyweird success. The problem is most of them are just average in looks and talent. He's an exception.

by Anonymousreply 5405/05/2014

Has there ever been a really good performance by an American actor portraying an Australian? Was Meryl's performance considered good? Seem Aussies can usually do a pretty decent American accent but I would bet any American doing an Aussie accent would be cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2014

Talent will out.

by Anonymousreply 5605/05/2014

I take Kate Winslet and Ben Mendelson anytime over Brangelina, Depp, DiCaprio and Co. Most American AListers are shit actors beyond believe.

by Anonymousreply 5705/05/2014

[quote]Has there ever been a really good performance by an American actor portraying an Australian?

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2014

R55

Streep's the dingo ate my byyyyybeee accent sounded like a Yank putting on an Aussie accent. Can also hear the Aussie when Collette or Pearce fake Yank. It's especially prevalent in their a's and o's and general speech pattern. Liev Schreiber does a pretty decent Aussie accent, but he's probably heavily coached by his missus.

Best fake accent I've ever heard was Scots actress Kelly Macdonald in No Country for Old Men. She had the advantage of a southern accent as cover, but was still amazingly convincing considering she has quite a pronounced Glaswegian accent in normal speech.

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2014

Most Australians are not of Irish ,chav british descent you fool

by Anonymousreply 6005/05/2014

R60

About 70% of Australia's population are of Anglo-Celtic heritage. The chavs of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales with a few Manx and Cornish bunged in. Who else but those with nothing to lose would shlep half way round the world looking for a better life. And the UK remains the leading source of immigrants to Oz.

by Anonymousreply 6105/05/2014

What's her name from Mad Men / West Wing did a reasonable job of a kiwi accent in Top of the Lake - but still not perfect.

The Australian accent is allegedly "lazy" in the sense that it doesn't require any harsh throat or mouth actions - everything is relaxed. Aussie actors are more easily able to mimic other accents because of this, and others struggle to do a convincing Australian accent because they can't undo the rigid requirements of their own accents. Or so I've been told.

I guess needing a sponsored visa means foreign actors are more likely to behave on set - if they don't shape up, they'll have to go home.

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.