Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When will Hugh Dancy ever get his big break?

He's starting to age and still no success. When will he stumble upon a good film that will make him well-known?

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013

He falls into a category of "miscellaneous British actors" who are mildly talented and decent looking, but easily forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

He's never going to break out as a film star, he'd be well advised to take a TV series.

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

It's a shame. I agree with the OP of that other older thread about him that said he was perfect in every way but then he married that Goop-like cockblocker Claire Danes.

He's maybe not movie star material but I don't think we've seen the last of him, he has the goods.

Adam was an extremely impressive performance, should've been nominated even. His American accent is flawless and he played an unrealistically good looking guy with Aspergers, what's not to love! Great little film that sneaks up on you.

He's been slightly overshadowed by the similar, just as hot if not hotter, talented and good at American accents Matthew Goode who has a relaxed take on things and hilariously trashes his own films at the time of release like the Amy Adams flop. In an interview about Brideshead Revisited he said acting wasn't rocket science and didn't care in contrast to the deadly serious and even more talented Ben Whishaw, who links the three.

Dancy IS finally starting to show his age now, like in Martha Marcy May Marlene. He was able to play younger aged characters like Adam for a while. Must be the toll of living with Claire Danes. What a shame she is getting all the glory.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2013

Umm... he's got a TV series. He's the detective on "Hannibal".

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2013

I know that, but they're talking big time movie star or revered prestige actor.

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2013

He's had his chance.

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2013

I've really liked him in tv roles. I thought he was the one really good thing on the season he was on The Big C and I'm beginning to really like him on Hannibal. I've seen a lot of the movies he's been in but he's never really stood out as a movie actor. Maybe tv is where he belongs for now?

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2013

He gets to hold my awards while I hold court with the press. I'm sure he would say that he has the career most actors (who don't want to face my wrath) crave!

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2013

I love him!

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2013

I'm guessing he is stay at home dad at this point.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2013

He needs to stick to theater. Some actors are more compelling when there is a live audience to play to. They can't all be movie stars. I don't think he's the problem with Hannibal. We all know the story and it's been done to death. How could they possibly think the actor playing Hannibal could compete with the iconic portrayal that Anthony Hopkins created? The Tooth Fairy storyline would have been scarier.. if they followed the books they would have had a better show.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2013

I remember him in some Anne Hathaway princess movie (I have no time to look it up).

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!