Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Free Tax Software

HR Block among other says START free, but can you finish free?

Is there a free place to file city/state/and Fed all in one place?

I can't deal with the forms I need a decent program.

I am willing to pay a nominal fee but can't figure out what is what on all those sites.

Any reccomendations?

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013

You can file a basic return for free through Turbo Tax. Some states allow online filing for free, check through your state's tax agency's website.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

Go to Then "free e-file" they have a list of purveyors and their offers.

It pays to shop around. They will gouge you on your state return unless you check carefully. Go to each site to see what their specific offer is.

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

The TurboTax app for iPhone is free to download and use to calculate your return, but it charges a $29.99 in-app purchase to actually file. It's very easy to use, though.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

I found the problem to the be the state last year...I did a free federal and then they wanted some fortune to e file my state return.

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2013

Taxactonline dot com is free for federal and, I think, $15 for state.

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2013

I know that every state is different, but in California it's quite easy to use the Franchise Tax Board's online filing system. So use one of the free progrmas (Block, TurboTax, TaxAct) to do your federal, then go to the state's website to do your state. I've done that for the last four or five years with no problem.

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

Go old school and file via paper. All it'll cost is the postage for two envelopes.

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

I used h r block. I did federal and state. Cost 57.00 for both.

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

I have moving costs related to a job and paper confuses me.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

I won't spend more than $15 to prepare my federal and state returns.

Just about all of them offer a federal free filing, it's the state filing that gets you.

Shop around!

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2013

Free federal filing. $9.95 for state filing

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!