Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anne of Green Gables

What were your thoughts on her? I read her novels in school and I personally thought she was a very weak individual.

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013

MY mom loved them as a girl. I just read them and feel that they are very true to the mentality of the time. It was interesting, for example, to read that she was adopted just so she could be of some help around the house. Free child labor was accepted. It was also interesting to read about one room schools where the students were of various ages. People played music and recited poems for entertainment because there was no TV. Fashion obsessions were at the same intensity but for different things. I will never wrinkle my nose at puffy sleeves again, knowing how much they meant to Anne.

I wonder what today's young girl would think about this book since girls Anne's age are too busy sending nude selfies to boys instead of trying to beat them in higher grades.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2013

[quote] girls Anne's age are too busy sending nude selfies to boys instead of trying to beat them in higher grades.

That was repressed sexual energy on Anne's part. If Anne were alive today, she'd be all about sending Gilbert nude selfies. And Marilla and Mathew would be happily married to same-sex partners instead of having to share a house in East Buttfuck, PEI.

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2013

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2013

That's Shitty Little Anne, to you!

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2013

I enjoyed the books and the first movie that was on PBS and/or the Disney Channel. I was always weirded out that she called Diana her "bosom friend".

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2013

The books were written by a minister's wife who was coping with her husband slowly going mad.

The stories are chock full of housewifely hints and tips, such as one would see in a church newsletter or that would be discussed in the Teen Girls class at Sunday School. These were mixed with slightly darker observations of human character, and I think an honest look at the pubescent and adolescent mind. The writer even dealt (fairly) with schoolgirl crushes -- such as that Anne had on Diana as well as on the local pastor's wife -- something a real life pastor's wife told me happens a lot, and not only with lovelorn schoolgirls.)

For a darker look at the humanity found in the Pre-WWI Canadian woods, read Emily of New Moon...

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2013

Anne Shirley?

Massive cock hound.

Big William Lyon Mackenzie King supporter.

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2013

I soak my lady parts in raspberry cordial and let Diana "dry" me off.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2013

The gals of Japan are crazy about Anne of Green Gables. I think they are 90% of tourists to PEI, and there is (was?) a place called something like AnneLand in Japan, which was a Disneyland of sorts for Anne (pronounced "Ahn") fans

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2013

I heart R8.

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.