Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Our Robin returning to GMA

The first robin of spring this year will be Robin Roberts of "Good Morning America," who will return to coanchor the ABC show on Feb. 20.

This will mark the latest triumphant step in Roberts's extraordinary recovery from bone marrow transplant surgery, which she underwent Sept. 20 as treatment for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).

She contracted that rare blood disorder as a delayed side effect from breast cancer treatment several years earlier.

The "Good Morning America" team made the official announcement or her return Thursday, saying Roberts's doctors have cleared her and she has quietly been doing "dry runs" in the studio.

"What a difference a year makes," said Roberts, who began feeling the symptoms of her illness about a year ago. "I cannot wait to return to my 'GMA' family. It's going to be an incredible morning in Times Square. The overwhelming thoughts and prayers of the viewers have played a major part in getting me here today. I cannot thank everyone enough."

Roberts has been a regular presence on the show through her recovery, taping occasional messages while her cohosts provided regular updates on her encouraging progress.

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013

Snooze. I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

I wish her well as I would anybody with cancer.

This media blitz, nevertheless, is distasteful.

There. I wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

Is she 'Our Robin' because she's a lesbian who refused to speak openly or honestly about her life?

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

I have nothing against Robin, but I find it so odd the way Diane Sawyer (and the weekend anchor) makes a report on Robin during the ABC Nightly News.

Why should there be a report on the ABC Nightly News on Robin and her return, and on Robin and when she might return.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

And Diane Sawyer (and the weekend anchor) also made reports about other factors surrounding Robin during the ABC Nightly News.

Robin is not a worldwide issue or national issue or current event of note.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

Because, R4, crosspromotion is everything in network TV. Haven't you ever noticed how on ABC comedies or dramas, if someone's taking a trip to New York, they always plan to see The Lion King, or visit some other Disney-owned property.

ABC characters only watch Jimmy Kimmel. CBS characters watch Dave. And NBC characters watch Jay. It got really annoying whenever Disney bought ABC.

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

Yes, R6, but ABC Nightly News is supposed to be about world events and national events and knowledge of note.

I think Diana Sawyer (and the weekend anchor) trivialize the ABC Nightly News by talking about Robin.

I do understand your point, R6, though.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

Of course, Diane Sawyer, by her mere presence as an anchor, trivializes the ABC Nightly News.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

It's not ABC Nightly News, it's ABC's World News Tonight. NBC is called Nightly News.

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

[quote] It's not ABC Nightly News, it's ABC's World News Tonight

Actually, it's now just "World News." They dropped the "Tonight" a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

yes, I couldn't think of what ABC calls their nightly news report, so I just said 'Nightly News'.

didn't want to take time to google it

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

I'm so over her illnesses, her recoveries and how "inspiring" she is to everyone who draws breath. In the not so recent past, no one advertised their diseases. They simply disappeared from public view to either recover or not. We preferred it that way.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

Why are you here, frau?

Why do you insist on making a nuisance of yourself on websites for gay people and where you're so clearly not wanted or welcome?

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

Here here R12! Couldn't agree more.

I'm glad the woman is doing better and she's had many challenges. But damn, she's become a mascot for ABC News with the constant drama and them playing it up.

I can no longer bare to watch ABC News or GMA but can only imagine how ridiculous it's become in the couple of years since I've watched.

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

Lara whatshername on GMA is so obnoxious and such a light-weight that I can't sit thru even 5 minutes of GMA.

Plus the light-weight format of GMA is horrid.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

[quote]Our Robin returning to GMA

But her tits are remaining at Sloan-Kettering.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

[quote]NBC is called Nightly News

When sloppy diction Tom Brokaw was at the news desk for several years, it was the "Nighly News."

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2013

I hope things work for Robin. Wishing her well too.

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

But when is Robin Q. returning to the Stern studio?

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

Or how about that gender non-specific Robin that 'catfished' so many people on DL with his/her health concerns last year?

That one is more "our" Robin than the publicly closeted lesbian on the ABC morning program.

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

Maybe she will come out now that she is back from the dead.

Sam finally did it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

She's eaten Martina's pussy, right?

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

Robin has been strickly-dickly for at least five years. She and Josh Elliot have fucked a bunch of times but it's always been casual.

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

Josh has been sleeping with LIZ CHO of WABC.

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

Whatever, R24. Josh likes the sexual chocolate. Never heard of him being interested in anyone but black women.

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

Liars gat canc.....well you know.

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

i thought that Al Roker wearing a bald cap two weeks ago and saying, "I'll see ya soon, Sam," was in terrible taste!!

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

I'll drink to that!

by Anonymousreply 2802/10/2013

Now that Robin is returning, they're going to have to figure out some way to fill the other half of the show since every time they come back from a commercial break they spend half the segment explaining how Robin is recovering at home and they hope she'll be back soon.

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

R29 Sam Champion is planning on getting a really bad hangail; they'll be able to fill up the hour discussing proper nail care.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

For Release: ABC News, U.S. Division -

As viewers are aware, ABC is less about being a multi-national corporation and morning chat show and more about being a family.

It is in that spirit of family and familial concern that our own Robin Roberts will make a heartfelt special announcement tomorrow morning (Monday, February 11, 2013), between 8:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. which happens to coincide with our final 30 minutes of broadcast and prime advertising airing segment.

As a family, we have decided to let Robin tell her public, all of you like deep, personal and blood-close family members, in her own words the overwhelming challenge she is now facing. (Our demographic response most enthusiastically to cancer, so expect it to be something cancery. Or... is it?).

We hope you'll join us as we all rally around Robin to overcome this challenge which we all know, like in past cases, she has overcome with dignity and an empowering spirit.

We also invite you, our viewer family, to purchase our latest "Team Robin" 'recovery bracelets' for the special one time price of $15. All proceeds going directly to Robin's (insert name of illness/syndrome) charity "Robin's Life Givers".

We'd also like to invite you to join in a special Winter Concert Series at Bryant Park hosted by your own Sam Champion and Josh Elliot, co-chairpersons of Team Robin! Guests will include Susan Boyle and a host of Disney teen stars raising their voices in hope and praise of Robin.

Be sure to tune-in to ABC World News this evening as Diane Sawyer leads a special broadcast "Robin's Love" which will rally us all around our Robin in these tense hours leading to her BIG announcement. The special hour-long broadcast is sponsored by Vaseline and Glenfiddich.

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

Robin is an inspiration to us all on how to handle a major health crises.

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2013

God, I wish Lara would have to go away for a long long time

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2013

I've been hanging around The Data Lounge for about four months. I spend several hours a day,doing what I guess we all do here. What's really startling is how this site has pretty much replaced the news I used to get from TV. I think between DL and what I saw during the events leading up to the election that my eyes are finally wide open. The false equivalency from every "news/media" outlet was shocking,and made me feel angry and naive! At first it felt like it was ratings-driven. Then it started to feel more if more and more the unseen hands of the corporate puppet masters were more overtly(?)running the "news". Even MSNBC was backing off from mentioning issues I was sure would be driving the news day. Rachel Maddow went deeper into the forbidden topics (false equivalency,etc) but even she seemed to stop short of crossing some line. DL has stimulated me intellectually in a way I didn't know I could be. The fact I get to experience this with other gay men makes it that much better!

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013

R34 types like an obese male Wiccan.

by Anonymousreply 3502/10/2013

Your tampon string is showing.

by Anonymousreply 3602/10/2013

I read your post. Now I have eye herpes (and burrowing vag. Mites!)!

by Anonymousreply 3702/10/2013

Do you want me to help you find an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in your area?

by Anonymousreply 3802/10/2013

Stephen Bright & Dark.

That's all anyone (not me, FWIW) was trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 3902/10/2013

Jesus Fucking Christ...they just did story on GMA about Robin's brother who is a basketball coach.

It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 4002/15/2013

Well after two brushes with Death and her Mother recently passing, I hope she can find happiness with a good man to settle down with. She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2013

Add me to the list of the homely Lara haters! And I hope when Robin returns, they yank homo-hater, judgmental soccer mom Liz Vargas by the neck with a cane, vaudeville style!

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2013

Love Lara more than anyone else and where in the world did you get Vargas is a homo hater? Projecting much?

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!