Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seasons Near the Equator

If you're in a country near or on the Equator, do you ever care what season it is? I assume the weather is fairly consistent throughout the year, and it would be confusing to have people on one side of the Equator in winter and the other side in summer. Are seasons even relevant?

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

Sadly, I have absolutely no idea what a season is. Yes, a bit more rainy and sometimes it does dip to low 70s but other than that. Not much change day after day after day.

You get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

You also don't get the equinox extremes. I read that the sun comes up and goes down rather suddenly instead of slowly.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

Some areas near the equator have wet vs dry seasons.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

[quote]If you're in a country near or on the Equator, do you ever care what season it is?

having spent a fair amount of time in Colombia I can say, in a word, no.

it is more like some years are stormier on account of La nina or something like that, but colder temps or more rain, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

Lots of countries near the equator have wet seasons and dry seasons (some have wet and dry twice a year, while in others they occur once a year). This would matter to locals if a) they relied on crop harvests, land or marine wildlife, and local water resources for sustenance, and b) their homes were in danger of being washed away by torrential rains and rising tides.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

I lived in the Philippines for 5 years. We had two seasons: rainy season, and dry season. The sun setting each day only varied by 30 minutes between 6:00 and 6:30 (if I recall's been like 25 years ago that I lived there). I just remember missing the changing of the seasons.

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!