Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Family" miscasting in movies and TV

We Need to Talk about Kevin: Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly would not produce Ezra Miller. Maybe Swinton and Keanu Reeves, but not Swinton and Reilly.

What are some other ridiculous casting as family members in movies and TV?

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

The Garritys on Friday Night Lights - no way Lila (Minka Kelly) could come from the oaf who played her father.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

genetics are weird. Sometimes to very good looking people get together get Rumor Willis.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

On Modern Family, the blonde and her husband would not have produced the curly haired boy, or probably the college aged girl. I could see the middle aged girl as the product of Ty Burrell, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

It's fiction. It doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

Those Eastern European kids who have been cast as Michael Jackson's kids aren't fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

R2 - Neither Bruce nor Demi are all that great looking.

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

LMAO, OP. I thought the same thing when I saw that movie.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

I think the girl who plays Haddie on PARENTHOOD is a good fit as Monica Potter's daughter even though she's brunette and Potter's blonde. But they have similar face structures, especially the eyes and cheekbones. If Haddie were blonde she'd look like a mini Monica Potter. The kid who plays Max also looks like he could be Haddie's brother.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

r6 no one said they were gorgeous just that their children are very odd looking.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

Good Times: James and Esther No-Neck Rolle would not have produced children as disparate-looking as JJ, Thelma and Michael...

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

R10 actually R2 implied that Bruce and Demi were good looking

"Sometimes to very good looking people get together get Rumor Willis"

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

R13, and what was up with their differing accents? In fact, the mother and father also had British accents and yet Kirsten had an American one. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

Sondra and Denise Huxtable were way way way too light-skinned to be believable siblings to Rudy, Vanessa or Theo. They were too light-skinned to even be believable as Cliff and Claire's children. It never made any sense to me, especially Sondra. She could easily have been playing a Greek or Italian woman.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

R17 what color were Claire's parents?

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

I always thought that the family on "Mr. Belvedere" was very well cast.

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

There's no way that ginger haired dwarf Ann Romano produced Julie and Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

"Dallas"/"Knot's Landing"--you have the dark-featured JR and Bobby, then there's the Scandinavian-looking brother, Gary (or was he a half-brother? That would make more sense).

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2013

r16, have you ever been exposed to black families? My grandmother on my mother's side has six siblings. Between the seven of them four are dark and three are light. Same parents. ALSO, my uncle is dark but my mother and other uncles are light. SAME PARENTS. It DOES happen.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2013

"Good Luck Charlie" The parents are both blond, the two older kids and Charlie are blond and then Gabe has dark hair. Who was the mom fucking before Gabe was born? Satan?

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

R16 has clearly never met any Italian or Greek people either. To say that Sondra, who was clearly African American, could pass for anything else made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

Everybody Loves Raymond. Where did the Italian and the brunette get their blond Aryan kids from?

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

House of the Spirits

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

Bruce's jaw doesn't look nearly as strange on him as it does on young women. They'd have been a lot better off in terms of their looks if they had inherited more of Demi and less of Bruce.

by Anonymousreply 2802/10/2013

Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz as sisters?

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

The "Eight Is Enough" kids all looked like they came from different fathers.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

[quote] Sometimes to very good looking people get together get Rumor Willis.

Rumor looks totally like a combination of her parents, though, just in an unfortunate way. The family resemblance is obvious, especially between her and Bruce. She has Bruce's big jaw and smallish eyes. She has her mom's hair.

Some families in movies and TV just look ridiculous. A difference in level of attractiveness would be fine, but it should be believable that the parents could have genetically produced their supposed offspring.

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

Vera-Ellen and Rosemary Clooney own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2013

[quote]When I was little I thought Shannen Doherty was Asian and thought she was adopted into the family.

Were you also retarded when you were little?

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2013

R30 - Yeah. They all looked different.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013

I love you R24. How many people do you really think are going to know what Goid Luck Charlie is? I have a 10 year old & unfortunately know all about it.

What about Serena and Eric Van Der Woodsen?

by Anonymousreply 3502/10/2013

I've always thought Eric van der Woodsen was fathered by NYPD detective Elliot Stabler.

by Anonymousreply 3602/10/2013

"Those Eastern European kids who have been cast as Michael Jackson's kids aren't fooling anyone."

by Anonymousreply 3702/10/2013

Something of Value - Rock Hudson is supposed to share DNA with Dame Wendy Hiller

by Anonymousreply 3802/10/2013

I know we're talking looks here but someone on the thread about "The Birds" mentioned the age disparity between Rod Taylor and Veronica Cartwright who are supposed to be brother and sister. He looked late-30s and she was just turning eleven. He looked more like her father.

by Anonymousreply 3902/10/2013

r38, as it happens, I just watched "Something of Value" last night and, yes, the idea of Rock Hudson being Wendy Hiller's brother was laughable. (And strange that growing up in a British colonial society, Hudson would have an American accent.)

by Anonymousreply 4002/10/2013

On a sidenote, Kyra Sedgwick and Julia Roberts in "Something to Talk About" totally worked.

by Anonymousreply 4102/10/2013

Well, I can understand why R16 would think that. But African Americans are on average 25% European and since the Huxtables were portraying an African American family, Sondra and Denise are possible. I agree that Sondra could portray a variety of backgrounds. It just goes to show how silly our notions of race truly are.

by Anonymousreply 4202/10/2013

e39 I think you are being kind to say Rod Taylor was in his 30's in that movie. I say he's about 42 or at least looks it.

by Anonymousreply 4302/10/2013

Rod Taylor was 32 when THE BIRDS was filmed, and 33 when it was released in May 1963.

by Anonymousreply 4402/10/2013

The Keaton kids on "Family Ties" looks nothing like each other.

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!