Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boring weekend thread. Need new appliances. Advice anyone?

It's pretty much everything. Double oven, cooktop, double-sided frig, dish washer, washer and dryer.

Everything doesn't have to be all matchy uppy and not looking for commercial grade. Just asking for stories of the good and the bad experiences and why.

My bad experience is a GE Profile frig circa 2006 that was subject to many recalls and retro fits, none of which actually worked Good is a KitchenAid double oven from about 2000 that I've loved dearly but I hear that the quality is no longer the same.

So tell me your stories and some appliance sales person in the Chicago area is going to have a really happy day :)

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

You won't get good advice here, buy a Consumer Reports book that includes appliances.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

Bought all of the above from Fisher & Paykel two years ago. Love it

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

R1 is wise. Follow that advice.

Anything you get on this thread is just going to be anecdotal.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

Already done that R1 Just looking for other feedback from actual current owners cause certain brands do change over time.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

It's been over 10 years since I have had to buy an appliance but I was recently in a department store and happened to be wasting time in the appliance section and couldn't believe how much flimsier they have gotten.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

From another recent appliance thread:

------

A modern day truth:

*** NO APPLIANCE you buy today will last as long as the one you're replacing. ****

New appliances may have more features, but the repair parts will be gougingly expensive.

All manufacturers want you to buy their pre-paid service contracts. It's insane.

My personal buying philosophy: (1) I seek out the lower middle of the range and only on sale. (2) I look for appliances with simple mechanical controls rather than expensive chips and ICs, especially if the appliance uses water. And (3) I never buy their "service contracts."

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

I have a 1959 art deco 40 foot house trailer that I use as a guest house on my property that still has it's original refrigerator. All the appliances and sinks, toilet and tub are pink. Copper paneled kitchen. Real copper

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

Agree with R1. Why not go to consumer reports? Looks like you're looking to spend some serious money. Make an educated decision.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

If you have the money, go Miele.

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

I have a Samsung French-Door/Bottom Freezer fridge and I've liked it fine so far. Water and ice in the door.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

Frig?

Frig?

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

OP, I posted as r2 before...F&P are trying to break into US market and have high quality, great prices and excellent customer service.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

Thanks r9 Can do and looks like a good choice.

Yeah, sorry about frig.

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

I've had trouble with my Miele-mouthed appliances!

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

R14 made me LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

Stainless steel finish is behind the curve.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.