Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Restauranteur Compares Gay Group To KKK, Nazis Before Canceling Event

Members of an Arkansas-based lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights group are outraged after a local restauranteur canceled their event, saying he does not agree with their lifestyle.

Sisters Gourmet Bistro owner Richard Hodo tells local ABC affiliate 4029 News that he opted to nix the River Valley Equality Center's fundraiser because he "doesn't support their cause."

"I called them and told them that I -- we're not going to have that at Sisters, we had no plans for that and there were no reservations to hold any kind of fundraiser or anything like that," Hodo is quoted by the news channel as saying.

But River Valley Equality Center members allege that Hodo went even further, comparing their group to the Ku Klux Klan.

"He said, 'If the KKK came to my event came to Sisters and wanted to have an event here, I would turn them down as well,'" River Valley Equality Center President Erin Fowler told 5 News KFSM/KXNW, describing the encounter as "really distressing" and a case of "open and flagrant discrimination."

Hodo did not deny the allegation, but said his words had been taken out of context. "We’ve got fine dining and this is a private club and we have the right to refuse service to anyone," he said. "I’m not gonna have a fundraiser here for that or, like I said, for the KKK or the Nazis or, you know, any group that would be a controversial group,” said Hodo.

According to the group's Facebook page, River Valley Equality Center members are now planning a Feb. 23 "Awareness Day" in lieu of the fundraiser.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013

Time to boycott that place. I'm sure that'll be trivially easy for most of us here, but I sure hope the LGBT community that actually lives near that place organizes a successful boycott of the ignorant bigots.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

I blame ourselves for this one. Why was the restaurant owner invited to partake of our lifestyle? Don't flirt with the cave men.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

Notice the restaurant is named Sisters, gay male slang for other gay men!!!!

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

It's RESTAURATEUR (no 'n'.)

Is he any relation to David Hodo, one of the Village People?

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

Arkansas has become extremely racist and homophobic in the past 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

... has become? Um... it always has been.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

Exactly, R3. And Sisters would also have appeal to the lesbians. He couldn't have picked a worse name for his bigoted establishment!

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

The irony being, of course, that HE is the one acting like the KKK and the Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

Is this asshole still in business?

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2013

Sisters Gourmet Bistro

A straight person owns that? It definitely sounds like a gay owned establishment.

Of course the people who go out of their way to disenfranchise gay people are almost 99.9% of the time self loathing closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!