Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sports you rarely, if ever, see African-Americans participating in

Skiing, scuba diving, surfing. Is there some reason African-American people tend to only play football, basketball and box? I would guess that down in the islands the locals dive though. Is it cultural or because they just don't have access or money for them? Before Tiger Woods you almost never heard of them in golf.

Before someone screams racist I assure you I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013

it's all about access

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

R1 nail it. Thread closed!

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

I have always wondered this as well. Though I live in NH and do see black people skiing quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

curling

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

Trolling.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

Synchronized swimming

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

The Faux Naive Troll strikes again.

I just have a little question I thought I'd throw out there: [insert stupid question which touches on DL hot-buttons].

So tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

What about swimming? I've never paid attention to the summer Olympics. Are there any in that from other countries?

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

Why does an honest question have to be trolling?

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

Scuba diving is hardly a sport and surfing isn't practiced by all that many "non-blacks" either. Skiing, takes place in northern climes where there aren't that many blacks.

Your examples are biased, like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

If this were a bit wackier, it could be an Umpy thread.

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

The same used to be true of golf and tennis, you never saw a black on the greens or the tennis courts but the top ranked players in both sports have been AA for the past decade.

R1 is 100% correct it's all about access. It's remarkable how they can be trained to not only accomplish but excell almost any task or sport we allow them to particpate in.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

Lawn tennis

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

When was the last time you saw college scholarships and big money pro contracts going to scuba divers and surfers? Black folks are smarter than you are, end of story.

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

[quote]Before someone screams racist I assure you I'm not.

Then why ask? You know how these types of threads devolve here. Troll.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

It's not an honest question. The answer is obvious to anyone with a brain cell.

OP is a troll because wishes to present himself as someone so privileged and isolated that he is unaccustomed to thinking about life in terms of economics. Kind of like "Let them eat cake." He wants this so that people will become enraged at his "rich white male" attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

Or he just wants to start a flame-war.

Some people get off on that.

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2013

It's moments like this when one misses Jimmy the Greek.

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

A few years back, four African-American MDs began training to scale Everest, but I never heard anything more after that.

I know a mixed race gal from Harvard summitted a few years back, but I haven't been able to find any of her subsequent peaks.

So, I'll add mountaineering.

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

Why aren't there any Asian Nas-car drivers?

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

[quote]Before someone screams racist I assure you I'm not.

The preemptive defense: the hallmark opening for bigots.

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2013

Perhaps the reason is geographic distribution of ethnicity, but after witnessing the superb performance of African American athletes in almost every sport in which they participate, I can only imagine they will excel in any sport in which they chooses to compete in the future. Look at music and even the presidency, blacks are poised to continue to excel. As a former student of African American history, I learned they are true and authentic American heroes, who after immense suffering, added much richness to our nation's history.

I can say the same for the gay community, although perhaps less so for sports and more so for arts and other arenas of intellect and creativity.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2013

[quote]Why aren't there any Asian Nas-car drivers?

Soon, when Tiger Mom finds out how lucrative it is.

"No computer! Change oil and tires!"

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2013

[quote]So, I'll add mountaineering.

Put down those crampons, Beulah, and peel me a grape.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2013

Gymnastics. Figure skating. Swimming. Diving. Water Polo. . . pretty much any water sport.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2013

Hockey!!

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2013

Black people don't like to get wet ( my blacks friends tell me this all the time btw) so no water sports.

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2013

[quote]Hockey!!

That's odd because there have been AAs in snowy places for generations. Even taking racism into account, it had been almost 50 years since they have been free to join in with most activities -- this would include ice skating and hockey. Skiing requires a big initial cash outlay and a car, so most poor people do not partake.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2013

What you say R27?

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2013

Fencing

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2013

R29, OP specified African-Americans. He didn't say anything about people from the Caribbeans.

by Anonymousreply 3102/09/2013

Really R30, I thought most have known quite a few black fenrs... always helpful to clear out any "excess" stereos you have lying around the house

by Anonymousreply 3202/09/2013

70% of African-Americans can't swim. 58% of hispanic Americans can't swim. Cullen Jones, the only black American to win an Olympic gold medal in swimming says he only learnt to swim after he nearly drowned at a water park.

by Anonymousreply 3302/09/2013

Ice Hockey is the one that has always puzzled me. Accessibility is not a good answer for this sport since there are plenty of African-Americans who live in Michigan and Minnesota, states where hockey is extremely popular. There are plenty of junior hockey leagues, high school and college teams.

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2013

Hockey equipment is expensive and the sport is full of Canadian redneck racist players who on numerous occasions have spouted racial slurs at the few minority players on the ice.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2013

[R33],Since when can't black people swim? who are the rulers of the Indian ocean? i guess the brave Somalians pirates are Africans not black.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.