Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

For Those With Friendly Outdoor Cats

Do do you sometimes pick up your cat and hug it so you can smell his or her fur?

Lately I've detected my tomcat has an unusual scent in his fur -- like a hand creme or an after shave or a perfume.

I think the little stinker has buddied up with a neighbor to get a double-dip of petting.

I'm OK with it if they'll just feed him too!

His sister is a one-human-for-me kind of kitty. I doubt she'd every allow someone else to pet her other than me.

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

If your cat is intact male, then what you are smelling is probably the musky scent of a tomcat. They don't like a foreign odor on them, and if I touch or pet one, it will be trying to shake off, and furiously lick off any odor molecules from me. But one of my barn cats just goes and becomes the neighbor's cat when I don't pay enough attention. But so far it always comes back when I am spending more time working around the place. They love to just sit in the shade and watch me work.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

Once, I took in a tiny stray tabby. His name was Spike. He was friendly and would go out and wonder alot. He did start to get fat and I thought he might be sneaking off the other cats' dishes.

So, I started to talk with various neighbors. Turns out, 2 other neighbors also thought they rescued Spike. He was quite an operator.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

OP here:

Thanks R1. My guy's been neutered though.

No, I think he's just friendly tomcat and my neighbors are nice to him.

I think he's an operator like R2's Spike.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

If it's an outgoing friendly cat, it's being played with. Probably by an old lady or little kid.

Some cats never outgrow that kitten stage and for them hugs are drugs.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

why would you let your friendly cat outside? If he's friendly, he won't know enough to protect himself and run from those who will do him harm, like the drunk guy who will kick him just for fun, or the neighbourhood bullies who will put a firecracker in this mouth and light it off. Shit like that happens. If you love your cat, don't let him outside, no matter how much he screams and yells to be let out.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

R5 -- with all due respect, you are changing the topic. Thank you for your concern though.

My two are 12-years-old and I am not going to take away free use of their cat door.

In this thread we are talking about cats coming home with strange scents on them.

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

With all due respect, R5, OP has problems of her own.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

Picking up an outdoor cat is disrespectful.

My outdoor guy smells like Creed - the riteguard/b.o. version. My indoor guy smells like pine needles.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

My kitty spends a large amount of time outside during the day. One day I came home from work to see somebody kneeling on the sidewalk in front of my house. He was petting my kitty-cat, who was sprawled in front of him belly-up, enjoying the stranger's attentions! I started spying on my cat when he was outside. Sure enough, he loves to sit on the sidewalk and when somebody walks by he rolls over onto his back, expecting them to scratch his belly. What a trusting soul he is. So far, everyone I've seen him do this to has responded the same way, by rubbing his tummy.

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

I don't let my cat outdoors (West Hollywood is no place for outdoor cats), but my cat smells like maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

I'm always amused by super-friendly outdoor cats since most are decidedly not. I walk very extensively for exercise and I'm familiar with the friendly ones in the area. One, an orange tabby with longish fur and white belly, does what R9's cat does. I've seen him do it with numerous people, me included. A flop and roll.

A few cats have seen me coming and run towards me and LOVE the attention. They follow a little when I resume the walk (but stay back quickly)

[quote]Picking up an outdoor cat is disrespectful.

What if it wants to be picked up? I encountered a smallish black kitty a few times. This is the kind that would run to you. I'd pet it and he'd act the way my Lucy (RIP) did when she wanted a pick up and snuggle. Anyway, I picked it up and it started to knead on my shoulder and drooled on the front of my shirt. With a stranger. Whaaa? My cat had a knead and drool routine when she was young, but I can't imagine she'd do it with anyone else. She was friendly, but not that friendly with others. And she was exclusively indoors since I got her at 5 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

Both of my cats are very friendly and go hang out at the neighbors houses. One guy has a doggie door and mine will go in his house and take a nap, then stroll back later. Lots of cats around here so at least I don't have any pissy, cat hating neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

My parent's cat once came home wearing a charm bracelet around his neck. He seemed quite pleased with it. We never found out which neighbour gave it to him.

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

It used to bug the shit out of me when people with smelly hands would touch my dog when we went out walking. I started asking people if they had hand lotion on before I'd let them touch him. After the third time, I started to tell people he was allergic to it rather than get into a big discussion about whether their hand lotion had a "nice" scent. Please.

I don't know what you'd do with a cat besides keeping him inside.

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

They always seem to figure out where the little girls live.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

Some cats are just whores.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

I think ALL CATS are total opportunists.

Tom sez: "Hey, you got the chow, the lap, and the petting hands, then I got the time."

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2013

My cats smell just like stuffed animals. I like to bury my nose in their fur.

I do use these handi-wipe things made for cats that have a nice scent, but that fades after a while.

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

She smells like shaving cream on Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

My nine year old kitten hasn't been outside except for physical check ups and a trip with me to see friends or travel abroad. She has always had a scent around her ears that is just captivating. She always possesses a hint of floral near her ears. She's neutered but I often wonder if they botched the job, as she is easily aroused when I show her a lot of affection, especially in the morning.

Of course, she could smell of wee wee and turds and I'd love her just as much.

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

The University of Georgia's Kitty Cam project used tiny cameras attached to the cats' collars to monitor the outdoor activities of outdoor cats, and they found out that cats indeed do "cheat" on their owners with other people. You can google it and read about it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2013

Four out of the 60 cat subjects in the study "cheated" on their owners by visiting other households for food and comfort. Whores.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

Our cat cheated on us with a neighbor, also. They asked us one time, "Oh you feed that cat too!?" Uhhh,'s our cat!

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

Keep you cats INSIDE.

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

"My cat's fur smells like cat food! "

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

Is it possible to convert an outdoor cat to be an indoor cat? Or is it that its wanderlust is too much once it's had a taste of the great outdoors. My kitty was exclusively indoors and once slipped out the back porch door. She only made it down one landing of the open air stairs before she stopped in terror. She knew where she wanted to be -- inside.

by Anonymousreply 2602/10/2013

OP and anyone who permits their "housecats" to roam freely is just irresponsible. You're subjecting your cats to myriads of possible dangers from diseases, to cat fights, to being hit by a car, to the killing of birds. Let's hope you at least put a collar with a bell around him to alert any birds of its coming.

And OP, you don't get dictate what people can and can't post. You're irresponsible. If there were less cat owners like you, the better it is for all cat owners. It's because of people like that some people hate cats. We don't allow dogs to roam, why should cats be permitted to?

by Anonymousreply 2702/10/2013

I agree that you should never let your cat roam around outdoors, putting a "a collar with a bell around him" will get him hanged when he climbs trees.

by Anonymousreply 2802/10/2013

That is true r28. The thing is that cats are decimating the bird population and people like OP are contributing to it.

Not to mention contributing to the hatred of cats. What is to distinguish a housecat from strays in the eyes of non-cat owners? Both poop and tear up neighbors' gardens. Some people view cats as if they're varmints. People figure you don't care enough to keep your cat indoor, you must not care much about it at all.

by Anonymousreply 2902/10/2013

I hate birds.

by Anonymousreply 3002/10/2013

R27 r29

You've made your point. Now go away.

Start your own thread.

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2013

OP you don't get to dictate how the thread goes. Thanks for contributing to the hatred of cats. One day, your kitty may not return home. Are you going to rush out and get another one? They are so disposable to you.

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2013

I was feeding a very friendly outdoor cat, and every once in a while I smelled coconut on her fur, so I figured she was getting fed somewhere else.

But that wasn't the case after a while, and she hung around the yard all day, so I took her in. She hasn't shown any inclination to go outside since.

I think outdoor cats can often adapt to the indoors, especially if you play with them a lot so they get some of the stimulation they would get outdoors.

Feral cats are another matter; it's very rare that they adapt. And they would never let you get close enough to let you pick them up.

I don't believe at all in having outdoor cats. It is just too dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2013

Look idiot, I am not going to change the way I raised my cats to suit you.

You are a loathsome scold and I don't care what you think.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2013

He'll still love you unless it is Old Spice that the neighbor uses ... then you'll no longer get the kind of love that you ecpect from your kitty ...GOOD LUCK ! !

by Anonymousreply 3502/10/2013

Well, maybe that one girl did.

by Anonymousreply 3602/10/2013

Cats ARE huge whores.

They make the whores of Hell's Kitchen look like amateurs.

They love picking up tricks in the neighborhood for a little snack and some cuddles.

And yes, if they find a house with a little girl, they're in heaven knowing they will be pampered to bits every day from 3:15pm to 4:15pm.

The lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 3702/10/2013

In some countries (like mine) it is the norm for cats to be allowed outside, and considered cruel not to. You're not even allowed to adopt a cat if you're planning to make it an indoor-only cat, except in certain circumstances. Granted many of the dangers that exist in the US, don't exist here. If I lived in the US I wouldn't let my cat out.

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2013

My kitty smells like Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

Cats kill and eat small animals including birds, so why are stupid people suddenly acting like they have never heard the facts of life? I eat cows, hogs, chickens, deer, squirrels, rabbits, fish, shrimp, crabs, clams, and mussels. Nobody is going to stop me either, any more than they are going to stop cats from eating mice and birds.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

My sister says, "I don't like my neighbors even LOOKING at my pussy!"

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!