Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Am I an asshole or am I employing a defense mechanism because I'm so compassionate?

Retarded and handicapped people make me laugh, especially the ones with cerebral palsy. Yes, I manage to stifle my laughter and usually I will remove myself from the situation. I support expanded civil rights for the disabled and I correct people -both kids and adults- who sling the word "retarded". However, they do make me giggle and I'm serious, this is not a troll post.

I've tried biting my tongue and my lips, but I can still feel that smile spreading. Can anyone else relate?

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

Your compassion will be your undoing.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

Try collecting Troll Dolls. Hobbies can be helpful in diverting thoughts. If you're tempted to giggle -- concentrate on what you'd like to add to your collection.

by Anonymousreply 202/09/2013

Op, no one here cares about how you react to seeing pics/video/reflection of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

It sounds like they make you extremely uncomfortable and you laugh out of nervousness. Something subconscious is going on there, especially seeing how you sympathize with the difficulties they have in the world.

Do you recall ever having an encounter with a disabled person when you were very young? If so, how would you characterize that encounter?

The answers to your questions may lie in the answers to mine.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

When I was young, MR kids were made fun of, but sometimes they were tolerated by the other kids. I remember crying when I got home when one MR kid was taunted.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

Midgets freak me out, big time. Usually results in nervous sweats or laughing. Just don't be this guy. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

I am prepping your room.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

Having worked with the developmentally disable community at several jobs and maintaining contact with some of my clients for many years I do know a bit about this subject. Some can be the sweetest warmest most insightful people. They are capable of humor, compassion, comraderie and commitment. Socializing with many of these folks can be fun. If you befriend genuinely befriend someone like this you might have the most sincere friendship of your life. why don't you go do some volunteer work with special Olympics which I have done. I am apt to run into my buddy Ramon today. He is outgoing and we hug and chat and I never have any idea what he is saying, yet, I understand it all.Unlike many in his group that have small amounts of money he is an immigrant and not able to have some of those things. I always ask to see his wallet and make sure he has a few bucks to spend.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

You're retarded

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

OP, I'd go for you being an asshole. A revolting, disgusting asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

I have no idea OP. It may be a carryover memory from a past life or something where you were Quasimodo. Who knows. It's a common reaction though. My dad is a shrink who worked with a boy who had MS and was on crutches. He visited us once and me and my brother kind of heckled him, "Whoah, what the hell happened to him."

Then, hopefully, you grow up and are exposed to different types of people. A good friend of mine is on permanent disability. He's gay, very good looking, and was used and taken advantage of by other gay guys and others his whole life. But he's one of the most optimistic, compassionate, and wise people I know. In fact, when I need a good answer to a moral or ethical question, I always ask him first.

Maybe you need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!