Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is it like to be a 20-something in 2013?

Not talking about job-hunting.

by Anonymousreply 2806/05/2013

OP is deluding himself. There are no "20-something" people here. Eldergays have chased off all those born after 1950.

by Anonymousreply 102/09/2013

I'm a 20-something, and honestly, I really don't know. It's sort of a one day at a time. I'm not ecstatic, I'm not depressed. I'm connected to social media of all sorts. Memes, gifs, cats, tweets, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram = my daily entertainment besides the work I have to do. I dunno. It's just a different time. The '10s have been 'in the middle' so far, not good, not bad.

by Anonymousreply 302/09/2013

It's good, OP. Thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 402/09/2013

The shit we long for, from the apparent golden years of the past, is just that - shit. The people who lived through the times said so. Our reverence for history is an ersatz reverence. Our references are either pitiful or cloaked in irony (self-awareness included, a small plus). Everyone thinks they are special (again, self-aware and add indulgent this time too).

Still, I picked "exciting and scary" because 2013 is. We are barging into a world with a faded milieu of unworthy and somehow at the same time unoriginal cast of representatives. What's exciting is seeing Lindsay Lohan stumble around at the Standard, what's scary is how big of a deal it is to our friends. What's exciting is that we are charging into the battle, what's scary is that we are not prepared for it. At all.

by Anonymousreply 502/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 602/09/2013

I heard a kid on the train the other day tell another he was 19. And instead of being nostalgic/envious, I felt... bad for him. Like, wouldn't want to be 19 in '13.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2013

I'm right on the dot 20, and quite frankly, I think there are more opportunities for me at this age. I wouldn't want to be either younger or older.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2013

I'm 20 years old too. Working my way through school. Two part time jobs and little sleep some nights. It's tough out there. My parents have money but Iv'e decided to work and pay my own way through school. But yea, It's rough.

I get alittle insulted when people say there aren't any young people on datalounge. It's like we are being dismissed or something.

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2013

When we were in school, we worked hard at school because we knew jobs were waiting at the end.

I don't know how kids now stay motivated.

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2013

23 y/o female here. I feel jaded and ambivalent about the state of my life and mostly dislike everyone my age. I think it's an exciting time to be a young person, but I am glad I am 'older' than my biological age. I don't understand the stupid shit my peers get into. And as R5 said, I don't get the intense nostalgia for the 90s among my generation. Most of the people longing for it were too young to really understand what they're 'missing'. Myself included.

I think it's a great time to be making and listening to music. We've got that going for us.

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2013

Their music sucks, things are overpriced and designed to break down, their food trends are disastrous, the trust among people is at an all time low (comparing it to dating in the 50's or 70's), women are objectified more than ever, their fashion and baggy pants are laughable, no other generation gives a shit about what we are leaving for them to clean up, their economic chances are almost nil unless they inherit a lot of money. I would think it would suck to be them.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2013

It depends, OP. Do you like one splenda or two? Are you set with body Rogane in the quick applicator? And how well can you shreeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeK?

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

Nostalgia for the '90s?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

I'm 18 and things are less stressful now that college apps and exams are behind me. My BF says that I'm going to get nervous again waiting to hear where I got accepted. Who the fuck knows. I'm just gonna enjoy the next 8 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

The 90's?? That was so long ago. I was born in that decade!

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

[quote]Nostalgia for the 70's I understand.

Nostalgic for one the worst decades of the 20th century?

The 90s were one of the greatest. People had money. Progression began. 90s are back in vogue anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2013

It's an exciting time to be a gay person in the Western world. We've never seen the change we're seeing now before.

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

R15 brings up an interesting point...Is it harder to get into college nowadays? Kids seemed to get so stressed. I went like 15 years ago and I applied to a bunch of schools without much stress. You could kind of tell from the average SAT scores etc which ones would take you. I got into all the ones I thought I would and the one that I thought was kind of above me turned me down. Kids seem afraid they won't get in anywhere nowadays...

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

Most colleges are now run like for profit corporations where it's more about saddling the student with loans that take decades to pay off. It didn't use to be that way.

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

It is wonderful being 25 nowadays. Take me for instance.

I'm back living in my mother's trailer, with her new husband that I barely know, with two of his adolescent kids.

I can't get a job bagging groceries, though I have a 4 year technical degree. I live in a flyover town in a flyover state and the next town is 16 miles away.

I can't find any weed to buy, and I don't have the money to buy it. And I'm way late on my college loan repayment book. Any more questions?

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2013

I'm 58 but get confused for 19 all the time and I find that there are tons of opportunities. I would say that my life is full for only 19. But, I don't have major decisions to make just yet, but I have a lot aspirations. I'm a sophomore here at Michigan State. I can't decide on what I want to major in. I was thinking Athletic Training because I work out so much. But, I also enjoy Finance. I applied for an internship this summer at the State Capitol so, we'll see how that goes. I guess you can say that I'm at the crossroads of my life.

Plus, I work as an accountant during the day, but I work at Abercrombie at the local mall here where I live at night and on the weekends. And, tonight I was offered a part-time assistant manager position at Hollister. They like my skillz on the cash register and end of the night cash out.

For fun, I hit house parties, but the one I'm currently at is not too dope. Actually, it's quite lame. My boys and I are about to bounce in a few but I wanted to chirp at this thread. Speaking of twitter, at first I thought it was lame as hell, but it's growing on me. I have close to 10K followers now. I also love to Skype. I keep in touch with my boy who's currently in Boston for work or when he's back in Canada. We Skype often.

Studying, working three jobs, and partying, I don't have much time to reflect brothah. And, all I'm focused in right now is ease of only being 19.

Work hard, play hard.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2013

i am 22 years old

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2013

[quote]Not talking about job-hunting

At 25, I cant answer what its like to be a 20 something without talking about this. I spend a lot of time trying to make myself more marketable for jobs, and finding ways to be more competitive in the one I have. Everyday I feel like Im about to fall off a cliff financially. My parents have really taken a beating financially in recent years too.

I try to enjoy being my age as much as possible, but its difficult when you are constantly trying to outsmart the system, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2013

I'm a 22 year old guy. I worked my ass off to get my BA in 3 years which I then found out is completely useless considering no one will hire me. I work part time as a personal assistant to a lawyer and am facing the fact that I'll have to go back to school if I ever want to make myself employable in a sustainable field. I live alone in a tiny one room apartment and after I pay my rent and other bills I barely have enough money left over to buy food, and this includes the $200 a month my mother sends me. I want a boyfriend but the only place I could actually afford to go on a date would be McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2013

How is this dude, abercrombiestud1947 58 but people think he's 19? Dude, you're delusional or people are just being polite. And, why and how in the hell do you work at Abercrombie at 58???!!! This world is wack.

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

[quote]I'm a sophomore here at Michigan State. I can't decide on what I want to major in. I was thinking Athletic Training because I work out so much.

Don't break a hip, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 2806/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!