Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Standing Desk - My First Day

My feet are sore, but I definitely felt more energy throughout the day.

There's a lot of research about the negative impacts of sitting - including a huge increase of heart attack independent of smoking or diet.

Anyone else have one? What are your experiences?

Sorry if this is a doublepost - I didn't see my last thread pop-up.

by OPreply 1102/09/2013

Ok - I'll help this thread along...people who sit for most of the day are 54% more likely to have heart attacks.

Independent of smoking, regular exercise or diet.

by OPreply 102/09/2013

Anyone remember those kneeling chairs that were a fad for a quick minute a while back? I guess they weren't all that.

by OPreply 202/09/2013

R2 - I think the problem with kneeling chairs is that you moved from one static position to another static position.

Standing will keep you more consistently in motion - shifting weight from one side to another.

by OPreply 302/09/2013

I loved those, R2. Most people didn't like the pose. I've seen a few people fall out of them trying to stand up. They were like a dare.

OP, do you have a rail to rest your foot upon? Most of the DIY blogs feature a foot rail so you can shift your weight.

by OPreply 402/09/2013

The kneeling chairs were the Earth shoes of office furniture.

by OPreply 502/09/2013

R4 - no - I haven't looked into a rail rod. I was going to purchase a gel cushion mat to help the feet.

Let me just say - I got stares all day long. I jury rigged a desk together at no expense to see what is what like.

I know it's the first day and all - but surprisingly, it was pretty good. It will take sometime for my body to get used to it - but I'm looking forward to the other benefits - more core strength, weight loss, increased productivity, etc.

by OPreply 602/09/2013

You could just place an oblong box in front of you for the rail.

by OPreply 702/09/2013

R4/R7 - do you have a standing desk? What's your experience?

Is it all they've been saying or is it difficult?

by OPreply 802/09/2013

I did the same as OP - improvised by placing an old reading stand on top of a service counter. I could greet customers and run around the shop without getting up from a desk every time.

When I started, the antique mall experienced a lot of shoplifting because dealers would hunker down at a table and ignore customers.

Greeting customers and walking around put an end to many of them. I caught a couple who used an empty covered baby stroller as well as an asshole who slipped things out a backdoor without tripping any alarms. Took pictures. They never returned.

by OPreply 902/09/2013

I know a lawyer who works at a standing desk. She loves working standing up.

by OPreply 1002/09/2013

OP = fat

by OPreply 1102/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!