Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's better to travel

Where has been the most exotic location to where you've traveled and what made it so, if you can describe it.

by Phileas Foggreply 2402/09/2013

tiny village in shizuoka prefecture in Japan. one month. VERY Japanese. I will never forget it.

by Phileas Foggreply 102/08/2013

John Pennekamp State Park. It's located at the bottom of the sea.

by Phileas Foggreply 202/08/2013

We're confused. Isn't this thread about our album?

by Phileas Foggreply 302/08/2013

I'm not sure how exotic these are, but I've been to Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, and Abu Dhabi.

by Phileas Foggreply 402/08/2013

Exotic? I haven't done exotic travel, but visiting cities and townships in South Africa really exposed me to the extent to which Americans are fed lies about the rest of the world by our media.

by Phileas Foggreply 502/08/2013

Samarkand, the summer palace of Ghengis Khan, in Uzbekistan.

Extraordinarily beautiful.

by Phileas Foggreply 602/08/2013

Cambodia, Sudan, Ethiopia.

by Phileas Foggreply 702/09/2013

@ R5 Please please please expand on that!

by Phileas Foggreply 802/09/2013

I understand that most people don't have the opportunity to live overseas, but I find it funny when people believe a trip for less than a month changes them. Try living in another country for several years then reflect.

by Phileas Foggreply 902/09/2013

Ooh, I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece.

by Phileas Foggreply 1002/09/2013

You sound like one extremely wise and all-knowing person, r9. You must have done just what you describe! I hope you are highly aware of how special you have become as a result.

by Phileas Foggreply 1102/09/2013

[quote]but I find it funny when people believe a trip for less than a month changes them. Try living in another country for several years then reflect.

What's the appropriate time? A week? A month? 89.45 days?

Change is, of course, a matter of degrees. Someone could like in a county for years and not change at all.

by Phileas Foggreply 1202/09/2013

r9 is correct. You don't really know a place until you've lived there. Your love for a place while vacationing is superficial because all you have really have is a small glimpse of it. Once you live there and become acclimated you either grow to love it more or you realize that it's worse than the place you left. It's just geography. Geography doesn't change the reality of governmental politics or human behavior.

by Phileas Foggreply 1302/09/2013

[quote]Your love for a place while vacationing is superficial because all you have really have is a small glimpse of it

Essentially, you're saying that someone can't have an emotional or romantic response to a place in an hour or a day or an instant that isn't phony or trivial.

This sort of tiresome snobbishness runs counter to a great deal of poetry and literature.

by Phileas Foggreply 1402/09/2013

r14 you either have a reading comprehension problem or just being deliberately obtuse.

by Phileas Foggreply 1502/09/2013

r13, you're one of those cunty people that nobody really wants to be around.

by Phileas Foggreply 1602/09/2013

R13 gets it. You cannot say a place changed you unless you were living a normal life in that said place, not a vacation style one.

by Phileas Foggreply 1702/09/2013

r16 says the guy who is posting online on a Friday evening. Looks like we're in the same boat, buddy.

by Phileas Foggreply 1802/09/2013

[quote]Essentially, you're saying that someone can't have an emotional or romantic response to a place in an hour or a day or an instant that isn't phony or trivial.

I did not read that at all. I think the fact that someone is on vacation and is in an elevated mood can have a huge impact on their impression. Living in a place while holding a job can create a very different impression.

by Phileas Foggreply 1902/09/2013

r15 is right on the money about r14.

by Phileas Foggreply 2002/09/2013

I'm in Morocco now, yay!

What can i say, its true what you've heard about moroccon guys;)

by Phileas Foggreply 2102/09/2013

R9- you sound ridiculous. I have lived a few years each in Saint Petersburg, Russia, Madrid, and Mexico City. But my visits to places like Samarkand in Uzbekistan, Essaouira in Morocco and Chuquicamata in Chile did have very profound effects on me.

By your reasoning, I suppose I would have had to pitch a tent at the bottom of the largest copper mine in the world and live there for a few years to really "get" the place. Or maybe take up squatting in the adjacent ghost town. Good grief.

You lived abroad. Big deal. Don't be a snob. Experience is relative.

by Phileas Foggreply 2202/09/2013

Many of us spend the majority of our time in the rat race barely having time to appreciate our own environments.

Visiting far flung, different and exotic places often gives us time to think, breathe and enjoy.

It can also helps us to understand that we are just a very small part of something much bigger and more important than our obsession with our first world lives usually permits.

So even just a few days in a new environment can be valuable to help you recenter and recharge yourself and can be life changing if the experience is profound enough.

by Phileas Foggreply 2302/09/2013

Well, I grew up in Decatur, IL and one time when I was in middle school, my parents decided to drive us all to the capital Springfield.... [bold]WOW[/bold] !!!!!! I'd never seen so many people, ..... restaurants, ..... diversity, style, etc. It was amazing. I hope to make it back to the big city eventually, but I do love spending my vacations here in Decatur too !!!

by Phileas Foggreply 2402/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.