Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

‘Do No Harm’ Cancelled After Two Airings

It is two episodes and out for NBC‘s midseason drama Do No Harm, which has been pulled from the schedule effective immediately. For the next two weeks, NBC will air Law & Order: SVU reruns in the Thursday 10 PM slot. Do No Harm posted the lowest ratings ever for an in-season scripted series premiere on a Big 4 network last week with an underwhelming 0.9 18-49 rating. It dropped 22% to a 0.7 last night, effectively sealing its fate. Do No Harm certainly was not helped by its 9:30 PM lead-in, which dived from a 1.9 for an Office episode last week to a 1.1 last night for new comedy 1600 Penn, which also is on the chopping block for cancellation. For other potential reasons that may have caused Do No Harm‘s quick demise, including marketing campaign, cast and time slot competition, check my POST MORTEM: What Led To ‘Do No Harm’s Historic Ratings Flop. Do No Harm joins such other series that were yanked after episodes as Fox’s Lone Star, ABC’s My Generation and NBC’s Paul Reiser Show.

by Anonymousreply 5902/10/2013

Steven Pasquale does not have what it takes to carry a show as a lead character.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

[quote]Paul Reiser Show

That's a spoof or something, right?

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

The premise is what keeps me from watching it. That, plus it's on opposite SCANDAL, and no TV program is going to keep me from checking out my girl Kerry.

And if SCANDAL weren't on, I'd watch Jonny Lee and Lucy Liu in ELEMENTARY.

Face it, Steven got screwed. Bad show. Bad time. I like him just fine, and I hope he'll be back in something soon that I'll want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

r1, no actor could carry the show with the premise and lousy scripts.

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

Look up our thread on this show. Hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

[quote]Do No Harm posted the lowest ratings EVER for an in-season scripted series premiere on a Big 4 network

Wow, what a flop!

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

Sorta makes us look good now, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

I couldn't even finish the first episode. It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

I watched the first ep and there were so many plot holes it was ridiculous. A neurosurgeon who only works 8 a day? Ummmm....right. I couldn't even finished watching the second ep.

I hope Steven Pasquale finds a better project, I really like him as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

That other doctor show that premiered around the same time on TNT- "Monday Mornings" with Alfred Molina and that younger British guy--seems to have gotten much better reviews. I haven't seen either one, however. It was created by Sanjay Gupta and David E. Kelley, so at least it has a good pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

Sucks to be the goat, doesn't it, Steven?

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

This "lack of marketing" business is complete bullshit. I saw ads for it all over. No one tuned in because no one wanted to see it. They tried to pull the same blame game last season with that AWFUL Best Friends Forever show with that shrill Jessica St. Clair.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

You know what does a lot of harm? Fat Face Tiffani Thiessen. It deprives us all of oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

"Lack of marketing"?

It has to have been the most marketed program ever. I'll bet I've sat through 100 commercials for it.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

Wow, this season is reminding me of the golden age of The New NBC!

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

It was a great idea to have a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde remake where the Dr. Jekyll has to do battle (indirectly and over time) with Mr. Hyde, but the show was terrible in execution. Making it also a medical drama was ridiculously implausible, and as someone said in the other thread, having the doctor combat his alter ego's machinations by giving his personal assistant dull tasks to complete ("Have my bank accounts frozen!") was something only people working in Hollywood would dream up.

I also think if this thing was going to work they needed someone who was incredibly sexy and dynamic (which this poor guy just isn't) as the lead. It needed someone like a Jon Hamm or a Michael C. Hall to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

Alana De La Garza can't win. Another series cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

watched the first episode and it was really dumb. No amount of promo could have saved it.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

I'm sure it's easier to say the advertising failed to hit the target than to acknowledge they were pushing a subpar product that the audience wasn't interested in.

The other posters are right, they marketed the shit out of this show for many months. And viewers did not tune in to what they were being told they needed to watch. (I hate marketers)

Sorry we all made up our own mind on this one NBC.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

I had decided to give it a fair chance and watch three episodes before deciding on continuing.

Thank you NBC for saving me from myself.

It was tough enough to sit through the entire episode last night. Ridiculous mistakes and mind numbingly idiotic plot devices. I would not have been able to watch another one anyway.

I also wondered how a show like "Awake" got canned yet this crapfest made it on the air.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

did they show the bikini scene?

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

It just looked so stupid. I couldn't look forward to every one of his patients being hostage to his evil side. Exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

Pasquale can't carry a series.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

But does this mean we won't see hottie SP in the Speedo episode?!?

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

It was in last night's episode R24. There was about two seconds more to the scene than what was shown in previews.

BTW - meh.

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

I'm going to watch last night's episode anyhow. I must finish what I start. Maria Bello's Prime Suspect failed in that time slot too. I don't think anything can work there.

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

I think we're at the point where this kind of show just doesn't work on network television. You need cable to tell this kind of story, because a network television character can't get as dark as necessary to play the bad guy correctly. I think networks are going to have to accept the fact that they're going to have to stick with those procedural shows like CSI and Law & Order. Leave high concept for cable.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

It shot in Philadelphia. Sorry, but Philly is highly uninteresting as a setting for a series. And don't come back at me with It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

R28 How about "Body of Proof"?

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

The show had incredibly powerful competition.

Plus, it didn't help that the lead character on this show was so smart, but the one the actor played on RESCUE ME was a boob.

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

Remember how in the 90's NBC was the network with all the hits and CBS was the joke that everyone considered to be the old peoples' channel? My how times have changed...

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2013

Damn r26, I didn't even know that Prime Suspect came and went.

by Anonymousreply 3202/09/2013

The real problem was: for a totally hedonistic narcissistic character, the "Mr. Hyde" half of him NEVER engaged in any GAY sex.

by Anonymousreply 3302/09/2013

The most marketed show was "666 Park Avenue" which hit the skids quickly.

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2013

Will NBC ever return to golden era when it had Cosby and Cheers and Seinfeld and Friends?

Doubtful, especially considering what morons it's new owners, Comcast, are.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2013

I knew it was in trouble when they sent a shill on here.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013

One of the most marketed flops ever- "Emily's Reasons Why Not." Ads EVERYWHERE. Subway stations blanketed with ads.

One airing then- canceled.

by Anonymousreply 3702/09/2013

I think having the lead in a Speedo lying on a boat in the commercial turned Americans off.

by Anonymousreply 3802/09/2013

Just to pile on- there is no way they can blame lack of advertising here. Not one of us can say they weren't attacked by the deluge of ads in every subway station or on the side of buses.

by Anonymousreply 3902/09/2013

R39, maybe those of us who don't have a subway and whose buses weren't advertising this show can say that.

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2013

Steven Pasquale should have portrayed a different type of split personality. One male. One FEMALE. (He would have looked beautiful in drag.)

Then I would have watched it.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2013

R39 is one of those dumb NY counts who forgets that it's not 2004 anymore.

NY is over. All other major cities are now its competition.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2013

It's not so much that there was a lack of marketing, but that the marketing was awful. I sat through I don't know how many TV ads for this show, and not one of them gave me any inkling of what the show would be about. And then when I did tune in, the show was awful. That's a lot to overcome.

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2013

[quote]The real problem was: for a totally hedonistic narcissistic character, the "Mr. Hyde" half of him NEVER engaged in any GAY sex.

I know, what was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2013

One of the many who only tuned in for Phylicia Rashad.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2013

It WAS a terrible, dull show with poor writing. Let it die.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2013

r35 your comment makes me think about the last two seasons of 30 Rock. Tina Fey was portraying the demise of NBC but as intentional on the part of her boss. Part of the fun and genius of that show was that Tina was always making fun of NBC and Comcast right to their faces and they never stopped her. Just shows how arrogant and totally stupid they really are.

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2013

[quote]I sat through I don't know how many TV ads for this show, and not one of them gave me any inkling of what the show would be about.

I know. That's because it was tossing everything into the plot structure to spice it up and couldn't stop. "Revenge" does this kind of thing, hovering on the brink of plausibility by covering big plot holes (and losing, lately) but eventually, also like Revenge, the viewer gets tired of the subplots and the series dies.

I'm amazed it was canceled after 2 eps. I mean that's pretty amazing. I watched the first episode and thought it was good. But I doubted people would like the character. And a surgeon who works 8 hours a day, um, yeah. But you would think they'd give it at least 6 or so.

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2013

They really don't even bother to give shows much of a chance to develop an audience these days.

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2013

With bad writing and bad acting, it could no have been called, "Do No HAM!"

by Anonymousreply 5202/09/2013

Steven Pasquale just Twittered:

(quote)Dear all 74 of u, thank u for watching DNH. What a crazy ride. I shall miss our actors. And of course PhillsVille, PA

I subscribe to his Twitter feed; he's funny and has a snarky sense of humor. And sometimes he likes to take the piss out of other celebs.

by Anonymousreply 5302/09/2013

[quote]I subscribe to his Twitter feed; he's funny and has a snarky sense of humor

"Snarky" is just another word for bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 5402/09/2013

Ah, Steven Pasquale is so cute!

by Anonymousreply 5502/09/2013

He's hot. He can sing. I will watch him in another show. He can take my piss.

by Anonymousreply 5602/09/2013

Yesterday while at Empire Szechuan on Seventh Avenue at Perry, the M20 bus went by with a wrap-around ad for the show.

by Anonymousreply 5702/10/2013

I really liked the premise and it's too bad they didn't streamline the plot instead of cluttering it up. There are a lot of pilots that promise so much and succeed (Breaking Bad had one of the best pilots ever) but the successful ones keep it simple in the beginning to hook the audience and build from there. Breaking Bad took the Fish Out Of Water plot and polished it up. Do No Harm just floundered on the dock.

by Anonymousreply 5802/10/2013

The problem with NBC is that instead of trying to do great shows, they are trying to create buzz worthy shows.

To compete with cable.

If they would only just do good quality shows people want to watch, the buzz and audience will follow,.

by Anonymousreply 5902/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!