Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Is Your Favorite Meryl Performance?

You know you have one.

by Anonymousreply 19703/04/2013

I'm not a fan of Streep's. so I don't really have a favorite. But I thought she was very good in Prada, Cry in the Dark, and Out of Africa. Oh, and Silkwood, too.

Sophie's Choice was a little too precious and effortful for me, and she was horribly miscast in French Lieutenant. Iron Lady was like a Walt Disney automaton imitation performance.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

She-Devil or Mamma Mia!

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

Mother.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

Plenty and Ironweed are my two favorites. I agree she's not quite right for French Lieutenant's Woman, but she's practically a force of nature in it. Its like she said "well, at least it won't be forgettable."

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

what, no "Deer Hunter"?

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

Bridges of Madison County. Thought she was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

She was good in PLENTY, but not nearly as good as Kate Nelligan was in the play - Nelligan was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

Dancing at...ummm...that place in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

Why is Heartburn not listed?

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

She- Devil

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

Meryl playing Miranda Priestly in Devil Wears Prada

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

I said it before and I'll say it again -- Meryl was never lovelier than in "Fantastic Mr. Fox."

Why is that not in the list of options?

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

Thanks, OP, for posting this thread on behalf of The Streep Troll (TM). This is a much needed thread.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

M in THE DEER HUNTER really is an incredibly remarkable performance. Stunning.

It was just on TCM again last night and I wanted to check it out in HD and ended up being captivated all over again by the simple beauty she brings to so many little moments in it. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

I like when Meryl was on Saved By the Bell and used Tiffani Thiessen's fat face in a balloon race that recreated The River Wild with AC Slater in the Kevin Bacon role.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

I liked early Meryl, when she was doing magazine photos for tampons.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

Yeah. Why no "Heartburn"

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

Her shocked, modest and grateful acceptance speeches and her delight when someone else wins

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

The poll function limits you to 10 choices.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

Albert Nobbs

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

Lol R15. I'm not a fan of hers at all but I thought she did a good job in Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

Postcards From the Edge?

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

I do SO love Mer-mer's performance in Silkwood. Her appearance was so close to the real Mer's sartorial choices. Or lack thereof.

Smooches Mer-mer! Love you! Mean it!

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

Yeah, it was much needed. As much needed as the war in Afghanistan.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

Kramer

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

Hard to pick a favourite. Much easier to pick a least favourite which would be the Iron Lady. The film completely underwhelmed although that was not due to Meryl. It just totally missed the mark for me.

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

The last scene of "Death Becomes Her" was brilliant. When M and Goldie fell down the steps in front of the church, I was amazed at the savings by not having to have special effects and make-up.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

The one where she's dying of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2013

"Adaptation," actually.

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2013

I can't think of one that I've ever disliked, but The Bridges of Madison County wins hands down for me. She completely embodied Francesca Johnson and brought her from fictitious character to fully realized human being. The scene in the truck destroys my soul each and every time I watch it; there's just no getting over it.

After that, I'd probably go with Out of Africa.

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2013

Postcards from the Edge

by Anonymousreply 3102/09/2013

My favorite would have to be "TDWP"

Not my favorite but I thought she was fabulous in "A Series of Unfortunate Events".

The only performance I've seen that I didn't like was in "The Manchurian Candidate", she's not bad in it but Angela Lansbury was just so much better.

by Anonymousreply 3202/09/2013

DOUBT!

by Anonymousreply 3302/09/2013

Anytime she skates with Charlie. Their program this sure is very good. Their Strauss program from last year was thrilling. Never seen a bad performance

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2013

Inexplicably, you omitted HEARTBURN, so I voted for SOPHIE'S CHOICE.

She was only in KRAMER for a couple of scenes.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2013

What? No 'The Hours'? She was sublime.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013

NONE

by Anonymousreply 3702/09/2013

Sophie's Postcards from the Deer Hunter Becomes Her.

by Anonymousreply 3802/09/2013

How about "Julie and Julia"?

by Anonymousreply 3902/09/2013

Thank you, OP-by-proxy for taking up my request, AND sticking to the 10 options I gave you!

May I say it is a joy reading this thread, which for once is full of positive comments about her.

After years of Meryl bashing here on DL, it was time we had a chance to celebrate her staggering achievements!

To everybody complaining about the list: obviously there are only 10 slots, so I had to leave out some classic performances. I agree, "Bridges of Madison County", "Ironweed", "Dancing at Lughnasa", and "Postcards from the Edge" are among her VERY best work. "Heartburn" is good too, but not as outstanding as the other options, imo.

But you could choose virtually any performance of hers, they all have their merits, including "Doubt" and "Manchurian Candidate", the latter a very misunderstood performance.

And she truly shone in "Iron Lady", pedestrian as the film might have been. A richly deserved Oscar for that one!

There is NO other actor in film this consistently good, and Meryl Streep deserves every ounce of praise she ever got.

That's all!

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2013

A Cry in the Dark is my favorite Meryl movie and her greatest performance. Very underrated film. Very ahead of its time in exposing how the public reacts, spins, dehumanizes the participants and dumbs itself down in reaching knee-jerk and ill-informed conclusions about the culpability of those accused of crimes and the legal process (something one sees on DL on a daily basis btw) and how the press plays on this. Brilliantly directed by Bruce Beresford. Meryl plays an innocent woman who is not afraid to be herself - fierce, plainspeaking, unsentimental, not the public's idea of a bereft mother - and who deals day to day with bearing the shitstorm she's confronted with. All the time mourning her daughter in her own way.

It's a very important film and shows what this actress can do at her very best.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2013

Doubt. And cut your nails.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2013

Agree R41.

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2013

I liked her in Prada, Angels in America, Cry in the Dark, Falling in Love, and The River Wild.

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2013

That part where the final credits roll.

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2013

"How about a nice collagen buff, Miss Ashton?"

"Oui, a collagen buff"? You might as well ask me to WASH with soap and water!!!! Tonight is VERY important to me."

"I could do your make-up myself..."

"MAKE-UP is POINTLESS!!!!!! It does NOTHING anymore!!! Are you even listening to me? Do you even CARE?! You stand there with your 22-year- old skin and your tits like ROCKS and laugh at me..."

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2013

[quote]Albert Nobbs

Knock if off, Close.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2013

I too agree with you, r41. Every word of your post is spot on!

"A Cry in the Dark" has always been my favorite Meryl performance. She has to handle so many different things in this film, all at the same time, and does a superb job of it.

AND she disappears into another person, entirely.

Even Jodie Foster, who won that year, said Meryl's performance was too good to be true.

The film might be underrated (to make matters worse, they renamed it "Evil Angels" - atrocious!), but her performance has always been lauded. She got the Cannes acting prize back in the day, and the line "a dingo took my baby!" has become classic (NB: she never says "a dingo ate my baby").

This and Sophie's Choice are her crowning achievements, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2013

Dear R41, for such a fan of Cry in the Dark to think it was directed by Bruce Beresford and not Fred Schepisi is a bit embarrassing, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2013

The results:

"Devil Wears Prada" comes in at #1, followed by "Sophie's Choice", then "Death Becomes Her".

Comedic Meryl beats dramatic Meryl 2:1 !

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2013

Agreed, r14.

In a filmography chock-full of stunning work, this is yet another gem.

There truly is no-one else like her!

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2013

Ironweed. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 5202/09/2013

A Cry in the Dark, followed by Adaptation. Though I do love her ice queen lesbian in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 5302/09/2013

Her performance in "One True Thing" is one of my favorites. She should have won an Oscar for it (Gwyneth Paltrow won that year, I think).

by Anonymousreply 5402/09/2013

NOW a warning?!

by Anonymousreply 5502/09/2013

R48, "Evil Angels" is the name of the bestselling book it was based upon. It made sense to keep it titled that in Australia, as it already had name recognition under that title.

by Anonymousreply 5602/09/2013

Evil Angels (as it was released here). M totally nailed Lindy Chamberlain, including her weird kiwi-aussie hybrid accent.

by Anonymousreply 5702/09/2013

Nice thread. She has inspired people, not just actors, for decades. I am hoping that she plays a confident cowgirl in Tommy Lee Jones new film, and not a mental patient. And Into the Woods hopefully will draw a stellar cast, because she will deliver. I love her work.

by Anonymousreply 5802/09/2013

"Nice thread."

Yes, I'm glad OP posted it and that the Streep Troll suggested it.

by Anonymousreply 5902/09/2013

Which makes me the Original Poster, r59 - the original post was made in the thread requesting new threads.

But you already knew that, sweety. And you knew that I know you know.

OT, I love what I found on wiki about 'One True Thing':

Mick LaSalle in the San Francisco Chronicle declared, "After 'One True Thing', critics who persist in the fiction that Streep is a cold and technical actress will need to get their heads examined. She is so instinctive and natural - so thoroughly in the moment and operating on flights of inspiration - that she's able to give us a woman who's at once wildly idiosyncratic and utterly believable."

So true!

There is no-one as technical AND spontaneous as Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 6002/09/2013

"Marvin's Room" where she was robbed of Oscar nod and Keaton got it instead. A normal woman, no accent, no bells and whistles and she's still amazing especially with Leo (back when he was still a great actor).

I mean, look at the films on this thread, most of which weren't on the poll list of obvious contenders. An amazing career. With great runner-ups like Lange and Sarandon way behind.

by Anonymousreply 6102/09/2013

r56, my previous post complaining about the title had nothing to do with Australia. I already knew it was always called 'Evil Angels' in down under.

HOWEVER, they NOW changed the title for the film WORLDWIDE to 'Evil Angels'. Capice? For some sort of legal reasons.

It's just... gross.

There could be no title more trashy, misleading and plain *wrong* for this film, because no character in it is either an 'angel' or 'evil'.

'Evil Angels' sounds like an 80s direct-to-VHS film starrig Karen Black and Deborah Shelton.

'A Cry in the Dark' is perfect, and they need to change it back. SOON.

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2013

I just saw a 4 pack DVD with "Mrs, Miniver", "Cuckoo's Nest", "Driving Miss Daisy" and one other classic for $14,95. Don't ask me why but it made me want to vomit. Disposable movies, even the classics. Talk about no fucking respect.

by Anonymousreply 6302/09/2013

Totally agree with you, r61.

Meryl OWNED Marvin's Room, in a very quiet, unassuming way.

She should have got nominated for her very nuanced work, instead of Diane Keaton who got in on sentiment, mostly.

And yes, Jessica Lange is far, far behind Meryl. What Lange does is good, but she is a very limited actress - all her characters have the same spaced-out/damaged/loopy quality to it.

Lange could NEVER go from Marvin's Room to Bridges to Madison County to Adapation, or from Julie & Julia to Margaret Thatcher, in the space of a few years.

In other words, Lange is always playing a variation of her own damaged self. Nothing wrong with that, as it is entertaining to watch. But the people who praise her to high heaven are seriously deluded, their delusion fed by the camp value of her characters.

by Anonymousreply 6402/09/2013

The Strep Troll is not the OP; he was just Reply X on the request thread. The original post is made in this thread by a paying member. We all know that.

by Anonymousreply 6502/09/2013

Death Becomes Her.

by Anonymousreply 6602/09/2013

Try not to be jealous I came up with yet another popular idea for a thread, r65.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 6702/09/2013

This is a necessary thread.

by Anonymousreply 6802/09/2013

I'm the OP-by-proxy. The Streep Troll came up with the idea, the list, everything.

Thank you, Streep Troll, this is a fun thread. I picked "Silkwood" mostly because I think people forget how brilliant she was in that (as were Cher and whatshisname, Goldie Hawn's boyfriend).

by Anonymousreply 6902/09/2013

She was excellent as a manic depressive British woman in "Plenty". And she was never more beautiful than in that film.

by Anonymousreply 7002/09/2013

A Cry In The Dark, closely followed by Sophie's Choice.

I think the movie has a lot to say about how the public jumps to conclusions about the accused. That bit where the woman spits in Lindy's face and she breaks out laughing at the ridiculous nature of it all is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 7102/09/2013

My most challenging work was just last week or so when I had to convince Mamie everything will be alright after her show was cancelled. I told her "something else will come along" with so much conviction that I even sort of believed it myself.

by Anonymousreply 7202/09/2013

I applaud her for not giving up (Jane Fonda) or screwing up her face and being deluded about her appeal (Nicole Kidman). My only request for Meryl is to work with better directors. She still has time to make some great films.

by Anonymousreply 7302/09/2013

[quote] Hard to pick a favourite

This isn't Sophie's Choice. Just pick one

by Anonymousreply 7402/09/2013

Her best acting role? Faithful spouse!

by Anonymousreply 7502/09/2013

Shut up Don. Don't you have painting to do in the other room?

by Anonymousreply 7602/09/2013

What was the one where she was naked and we were set up to think she was a murderer? I know it had one title when filming and a different one when it was released. She was good in that. So was the person who wound up being the killer, but that person has totally disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 7702/09/2013

Defending Your Life!

Just kidding.

I can't not pick Angels in America, as her Streepy-ness was put to good use in many different characters (I don't always think it's put to good use).

And come on--she has a great moment with animatronic cow or something.

by Anonymousreply 7802/09/2013

[quote]Dancing at...ummm...that place in Ireland.

Lugnasa isn't a place. It's a holiday. It's August 1st.

by Anonymousreply 7902/09/2013

Keaton gave the better performance in Marvin's Room.

Even Meryl has stated that.

by Anonymousreply 8002/09/2013

She's no Judy Davis. Judy Davis IS the best.

by Anonymousreply 8102/09/2013

r77 Stab, released as "Still of the Night", Sara Botsford was the killer.

This was supposed to be Kate Jackson's consolation prize for losing out on Kramer Versus Kramer but I got it instead again...I feel it is my worst film, as I told Andy Cohen.

I believe Sara Botsford is a drama teacher somewhere...those who can do etc. BTW she was in The Real Thing on BWAY with G. G won her first Tony for that show...which of course I was offered first and turned down.

by Anonymousreply 8202/09/2013

Yes r80...I was quite generous on my praise on Keaton wasn't I? After I received a golden globe nomination and Diane didn't it looked as if I'd be nominated yet again and Diane would be overlooked. At first I tried to be lowered down to Supporting Actress for Marvin but when people called that unrealistic I demanded all ads touting for my consideration be given to Diane.

by Anonymousreply 8302/09/2013

R81 This thread is clearly not about objectivity R81.

Or good taste, given some of the replies.

by Anonymousreply 8402/09/2013

Judy Davis is great but never connected with audiences, apart from a few choice roles. She doesn't have the range. Streep trumps all of them.

by Anonymousreply 8502/09/2013

Judy Davis?! Now that was unfortunate casting.

by Anonymousreply 8602/09/2013

Don't say something stupid like she "doesn't have the range," r85. Davis' range is much, much greater than Streep's. She's not a movie star like Streep, but she's at least her equal as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 8702/09/2013

Where is Judy? I haven't seen her in anything in a while.

by Anonymousreply 8802/09/2013

She was so beautiful in MANHATTAN. I also liked her in UNCOMMON WOMEN AND OTHERS which was on PBS years ago, part of those American Theater archive things. I have it on VHS.

by Anonymousreply 8902/09/2013

r89 I replaced G that as a favor to Wendy Wasserstein...anyone know why Glenn wasn't in it...she was the only original cast member not to repeat her role

by Anonymousreply 9002/09/2013

I loved her in The Hours. I knew that book by heart and she hit every sing note of that character.

I also think the sheer joy and life she brought to Julia and julia was overlooked due to her uncanny impersonation. If that had just been a Julia Child film and we hadn't had to suffer through Amy Adams that might have been the 3rd Oscar.

It's really a remarkable career.

by Anonymousreply 9102/09/2013

[quote]I feel it is my worst film, as I told Andy Cohen.

Oh, dear, M, you've clearly never watched all your performances if you think "Still of the Night" is your worst.

Check out "Manchurian Candidate" and that awful thing where you played Edward Furlong's mother. Not that you were bad, but it was a rotten project that your agent should have discouraged you from taking.

by Anonymousreply 9202/09/2013

true r92...M does seem to have an odd grudge against Still of the Night

Was she bitter that Sally got to do Robert Benton's "Places in the Heart?" BTW look how cute Sally was on the DVD box!!! She's like a little Christmas elf!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9302/09/2013

Probably "Doubt" and "The devil wears Prada", but she is very good in everything.

Looking forward to seeing her in "August Osage County". This is perfect territory for her.

On the down sound, I don't always find her accents totally convincing. A few other American actresses can do more convincing accents than her. I didn't go much on her Lindy Chamberlain accent, but it is a very difficult accent to do (hybrid Australian/New Zealand).

Loved "Evil angels" (refuse to call it by the other name!). From memory the title of the book is some biblical reference but I can't remember the details. I hate how Hollywood changes the title from the book. It usually involves dumbing down to supposedly maximise sales, e.g. the title of the book is "Schlinder's ark", but apparently "ark" was deemed too obscure a reference, so it got changed to "Schindler's list". The book title is so much more indicative of what the film is about - unless you'd never heard of Noah's ark I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 9402/09/2013

r80, stop being gullible.

Keaton and Hawn are close friends of hers; she did a film project with each of them, because she wanted to.

As a matter of course she would then say Keaton/Hawn were better. That's Meryl's way of being; and we love her humility and kindness!

Needless to say, Diane Keaton and Goldie Hawn are so far removed from Meryl's level of talent, neither of them could possibly be 'better' than Meryl, in ANY project.

In Marvin's Room, Keaton is full of her usual sthicks and ticks. They might be endearing and entertaining to watch. But it is Meryl who steals the show, with a highly nuanced, yet unassuming performance.

Keaton got the nomination because of sentiment; her performance isn't exactly remembered these days, is it?

by Anonymousreply 9502/10/2013

r94, biblical or not, the title "Evil Angels" is pure trash, and only conjures up trashiness.

It souns like a stupid C movie from the 80s, or some forgotten daytime soap. Just horrible.

Sometimes changing the title of the source material does make sense, you know.

Meryl crying "A dingo took my baby!" in agony, in the middle of the night, deep in the oubtack, IS 'a cry in the dark'. Later on, she is plunged into the darkness of public hostility.

The title sums up her situation - and the whole film - perfectly. 'Evil Angels'? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 9602/10/2013

Streep also had casting approval for the role and chose Keaton for the part....so she also had a vested interest in Diane being good

by Anonymousreply 9702/10/2013

To the Judy Davis troll going on and on about his goddess:

she is just as limited as Jessica Lange is. Sorry.

Judy = nervous/neurotic in all her roles.

Jessica = spaced out/loopy in all her roles.

Neither of them has Meryl's range. How preposterous.

Gays love damaged women, that's why those two are so popular with many here.

Meryl Streep, meanwhile, can act RINGS around them. And she does. All the time!

by Anonymousreply 9802/10/2013

Exactly, r97.

by Anonymousreply 9902/10/2013

r92 And Meryl's is? Give me a break.

All reasonable discussion flew out the door the second you entered the thread, like it always does.

Braindead fangurls don't contribute much, as you've demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again.

And cough up the eighteen dollars to start your own damn thread next time, instead of begging others to do your work like some grifter.

by Anonymousreply 10002/10/2013

That's true. The Streep Turd is too cheap to pay the 18 bucks to start threads, and has to depend on the kindness of strangers.

You should be ashamed, Streep Turd.

by Anonymousreply 10102/10/2013

Meryl Streep's dramatic roles are overrated. I think her top performances have been in (in order):

Postcards From the Edge

Death Becomes Her

The Devil Wears Prada

Adaptation

She-Devil

by Anonymousreply 10202/10/2013

r100 and r101, you are too cute!

Why should I be 'ashamed' if all my plans come to fruition (as they always do), with paying members literally rushing to implement my creative ideas?

With those 18 bucks, I'd rather buy a copy of Hope Springs when it comes out.

Money much better spent!

You guys don't like me or my posting. Fine. But I've never asked anybody here to like me. Consequently, I don't care for your 'guidelines' on acceptable form of debate.

Yes, free speech is a drag!

I wish I could say I was 'above it'... but the truth is, it does amuse me to see you two so angry!

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 10302/10/2013

Diane gave the better performance. Streep said it. And Keaton got the Oscar nomination.

It's amusing that the Streep troll is getting so angry over it.

Just stating a basic fact.

by Anonymousreply 10402/10/2013

NOT Streep troll here and huge Diane Keaton fan, my favorite actress of the 70s... but NOT in "Marvin's Room". Gushy and not quite honest (the director lets the camera linger on her too long, granted). I think it was less sentiment for the actress than the fact that her character is dying.

Streep is so great in the scene with Leo in the gift shop where he won't believe truth about his dad and early when Leo tries to apologize for burning house down. she can play normal woman with same intensity as her flashier roles. great great actress, needless to say.

by Anonymousreply 10502/10/2013

Yes, but Keaton got the Oscar nomination and Streep didn't.

Personal opinions are fine, but in the end, more people clearly thought Keaton was better.

Again, just stating a fact.

by Anonymousreply 10602/10/2013

Meryl was brilliant in MARVIN'S ROOM.

by Anonymousreply 10702/10/2013

Dear r49, Indeed, I am embarrassed for forgetting it was Schepisi's film, not Beresford's.

I stand by everything else I said.

by Anonymousreply 10802/11/2013

Silkwood, that was good enough for an Oscar, but it was only one of her numerous nominations.

Devil Wears Prada is actually pretty high up on my list, she's very funny in that.

Marvin's Room, not listed, is a favorite of her more underrated movies. Again, she's very funny.

by Anonymousreply 10902/11/2013

Good, R41/108. I’m a big Streep fan and I guess it’s all about feeling protective towards all aspects of her career. It was all done in good spirit. Anyway, were else is one supposed to be so anal if not here? Now, if could only get the troll to humbly acknowledging he missed your little (and perfectly human) gaffe too…

by Anonymousreply 11002/11/2013

The one in which she played the cunt

by Anonymousreply 11102/11/2013

Streep was terrible in HEARTBURN, which is an awful film. She cannot play Jews. Her Ethel Rosenberg was an embarrassment, and she was dreadful in that thing where she was Uma Thurman's mother. DEATH BECOMES HER is unwatchable in that special bloated Robert Zemeckis way. She is awful in PLENTY, a bad film; and THE STILL OF THE NIGHT is inadvertent comedy. MAKING LOVE is wretched Michael Cristofer monsense. She kind of evaporates from THE DEER HUNTER. She's not good as Julia Child, and she's awful in HOPE SPRINGS. She cannot do mousey.

That said, she's my current favorite actor of any gender. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 11202/11/2013

[quote] The Bridges of Madison County wins hands down for me

Agreed. I've always been aware that she's one of the greats, but I honestly never paid that much attention to her acting until I saw her in this movie which she was brilliant in. It didn't seem as if she was acting at all.

by Anonymousreply 11302/11/2013

That review makes want to see it r113, I never have.

by Anonymousreply 11402/11/2013

R114, I don't know if the plot is for everyone, maybe some might see it as sappy/trite - but it's a gut-wrenching film, IMO and Streep's performance is amazing and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 11502/11/2013

You're right, r112. Streep was terrible in MAKING LOVE. So terrible, you would have thought she was Kate Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 11602/11/2013

[quote]She is awful in PLENTY, a bad film

disagree totally

by Anonymousreply 11702/11/2013

I don't think she's awful in PLENTY, she's actually quite good. But she can't hold a candle to Kate Nelligan, who was fucking brilliant in the stage version.

I don't think PLENTY could ever work as well on film as it does on stage, just because of the form of the play.

by Anonymousreply 11802/11/2013

Memorable scene in "Plenty" where Sting is stalking her and Meryl pulls a gun on him.

"You don't underst----you don't UNDERSTAND the figures in my mind!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 11902/11/2013

OP you are an uncultured moron for not including this masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 12002/11/2013

You can't blame the OP, r103. The Streep Turd told him what to include.

by Anonymousreply 12102/11/2013

Gee, I had remembered her Brit accent being spot on in PLENTY, but the accent is TERRIBLE in that clip at 120. Not her acting just her accent.

by Anonymousreply 12202/11/2013

Her chemistry with Sam Neill at the beginning of Plenty is amazing - if he had played Denys Finch-Hatton in OUT OF AFRICA instead of the small part he played, it would have been a brilliant film.

by Anonymousreply 12302/11/2013

r104, but then Iraq did have weapons of mass destruction. Because Bush "said it".

Bill Clinton never had sex with Monica Lewinsky. Because he "said it".

John Travolta isn't gay. Because Kelly Preston "said it".

See how infantile your line of argument is?

People say stuff for all kinds of reasons; doesn't mean even they believe it.

The fact that Meryl "said" Diane Keaton was better than her in that movie doesn't necessarily mean she actually believed that herself.

The "fact", as you put it, that Diane was nominated doesn't necessarily mean voters thought she was "better", either. They can vote in whomever they want, for whatever reason.

Maybe they wanted to appear "fair" by not always nominating Meryl every time; or they thought Diane was cute in her older years; or they felt pity for her character dying; or they wanted to reward Diane for doing good business with "First Wives Club"; etc. etc.

For many intelligent people (you excluded) it is possible to question "facts", to see beyond them, to connect the dots.

This we do in the case of "Marvin's Room". And we have to conclude that Diane Keaton's performance in this film is hardly remembered these days. Because it is average at best.

Meryl, meanwhile, was in top form. She knew this, and being the pro she is, she said Diane "was better" than her. Because Diane is a friend of hers.

Because Meryl can afford to say such a thing. She can even afford the Academy nominating Diane over her. She encouraged them to!

Meryl and the Academy cared nothing for your 'facts'. And neither does this thread.

by Anonymousreply 12402/11/2013

ANGELS IN AMERICA

by Anonymousreply 12502/11/2013

r125 - ugh, THAT. So mannered and self-aware.

by Anonymousreply 12602/11/2013

I've got it, I've got it..... THE HOURS. "I seem to be unravelling. Oh my go-o-o-o-ohhhhhd..... " *slides down the kitchen wall*

by Anonymousreply 12702/11/2013

I agree, this was a very necessary thread.

by Anonymousreply 12802/11/2013

She is perfect in The Hours, r127. If anyone is mannered in that film, it is Nicole Kidman, whose entire performance consists of lurking in doorways, giving death stares. Boy has that performance aged badly!

People are till talking about Theron and Cotillard, but does anyone remember NK in The Hours? NO!

Meryl, meanwhile, is full of life; technical too, but only to serve a performance that is very natural, very touching. Meryl always connects her great technique and intellecutal insight with the spontaneity and emotional truth of a character, and The Hours is no exception to this rule.

Toni Collette is great in it too btw.

To the poster who claimed Meryl "evaporated" in The Deer Hunter: the lightness of the performance is its strength. And it is a misleading lightness, for the performance is leavened by finely observed details.

It's highly accomplished work, and rightfully netted her her first Oscar nomination.

A star was born!

by Anonymousreply 12902/11/2013

r122, she sounds perfectly British in Plenty.

Care to elaborate what she's doing wrong in that clip, according to you?

by Anonymousreply 13002/11/2013

R126 if you really find ANGELS IN AMERICA mannered i pity you. It's so deep, you failed to embrace it.

by Anonymousreply 13102/11/2013

My, the Streep troll is a feisty, bitter thing! I'm finding this meltdown over something so ridiculous very amusing.

It is a fact that Diane Keaton was nominated for the Best actress Oscar, dear. That's just the way it is. More people obviously thought Diane gave a better performance in Marvin's Room. Hence, being nominated for the Oscar.

Your opinion (although no one asked for it) is nice, but doesn't match the facts.

Same thing with The Hours. Kidman got the Oscar for that one. Streep might have been good, but that is clearly not the majority opinion. Hence, no Oscar nomination.

So again, your opinion is nice, but it doesn't match the facts.

No reason to be so angry over it. Although we now know what pushes your buttons.

And I love a good game!

by Anonymousreply 13202/11/2013

You're right, r132. I've learned how to push the Streep Troll's buttons, too, and it's just like making a puppet dance on a string.

And I love how he throws about insults about peoples' intelligence, but is absolutely incapable of entertaining any other view or opinion than his own. So, Keaton got nominated, it was because "the Academy" thought she was cute in her late middle age, or because her character was dying. It can't POSSIBLY be because they actually thought she was the better performance because HE didn't think that.

And that's his weakness - he has no objectivity at all.

Your turn, Streep Troll - dance, puppet, dance!

by Anonymousreply 13302/11/2013

This thread its great. Its good for Streep Loon to have one padded cell of a thread to play in to her heart's content.

by Anonymousreply 13402/11/2013

Don't get overexcited, r134. I don't see how one Meryl thread will be able to contain me, even if I started it. I'm quite good at multi-threading, you know?

And the Oscars are coming up!

I'm going to regale DL with my posts, until you get blue in the face.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 13502/11/2013

CLICK CLICK CLICK...

That sound makes the Streep Troll VERY nervous. Expect another post IMMEDIATELY.

by Anonymousreply 13602/11/2013

r132 still doesn't understand that 'facts' can be questioned, investigated, and re-interpretated.

John Travolta is married to a woman, who insists he is straight. So he cannot be gay. That too is a fact, according to your logic.

r133: if I'm unbale to consider Keaton was nominated because she was 'better' than Streep, you are incapable of doing the exact opposite - entertaining the idea she was nominated for sentimental reasons.

So, this brings us back to square one.

You are incapable in my view, and I am incapable in yours.

Other than having angry sex wth each other, all we have left between us is the little *fact* that Diane Keaton's performance in Marvin's Room is mightily forgotten these days.

*Bussi* to you!

by Anonymousreply 13702/11/2013

the one she is currently giving, fighting the way that she is

by Anonymousreply 13802/11/2013

I love that sound when it comes from the best actress of all times, r136.

And that certainly wasn't Kate Hambone Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 13902/11/2013

I, for one, am looking forward to more threads being started by the Streep Troll during Oscar season.

by Anonymousreply 14002/11/2013

"Somewhere In Time" she was at her best.

by Anonymousreply 14102/11/2013

Thank you, r140.

If any paying member is reading this, we should do a thread entitled:

"What is the most overlooked Meryl performance?"

Poll options should be:

1) The Seduction of Joe Tynan, 2) Falling in Love, 3) Plenty, 4) Heartburn, 5) She-Devil, 6) House of the Spirits, 7) Dancing at Lughnasa, 8) The Hours, 9) Manchurian Candidate, 10) A Prairie Home Companion.

This thread would be even more interesting!

Will someone please start the poll, as OP-by-proxy?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 14202/11/2013

You post here all the time and you can't cough up $18 bucks?

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 14302/11/2013

Diane has the Oscar nomination. Meryl does not.

That means more people thought that Diane did a better job than Streep.

If more people thought Streep did a better job, she would have been nominated.

It's that simple.

Your bizzare comparisons to Bill Clinton and Travolta's sexuality are amusing, to say the very least. .

by Anonymousreply 14402/11/2013

I can cough up things more valuable than money, 143.

And besides, I have supporters who start threads for me. It strokes my ego :)

*Kisses* just for you, sweety.

by Anonymousreply 14502/11/2013

"That means more people thought that Diane did a better job than Streep"

Nope, it just means they wanted to give Meryl a break.

by Anonymousreply 14602/11/2013

Sorry Streep Troll, I thought you could be the OP of threads. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 14702/11/2013

Meryl had already had quite a bit of a break, only being nominated once in those seven years.

More people thought Diane was better. That's just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 14802/11/2013

[quote]And besides, I have supporters who start threads for me. It strokes my ego

More grannies with the same middle-brow tastes?

by Anonymousreply 14902/11/2013

Streep Troll, are you poor? If not, then why the fuck don't you just pony up the eighteen bucks like the rest of us did and then start threads to your heart's delight?

by Anonymousreply 15002/11/2013

"More people thought Diane was better. That's just a fact."

No, it's not.

It still means that: this was during a time when they gave Meryl a break. Diane had had a huge hit with 'First Wives Club', so she got the nom for the more serious 'Marvin's Room'.

Nobody ever thought she was better than Meryl.

The Oscars are about politics first, as we all know.

by Anonymousreply 15102/11/2013

Read the thread, r150.

I've already explained myself.

I'm not going to type it again, just for a dummy like you.

by Anonymousreply 15202/11/2013

Meryl got the Golden Globe nom for Marvin, yet they snubbed Diane there so it didn't go all her way.

And I see Gwen Verdon got a SAG nom for supporting, so that's another reason to like Marvin's Room. But that tricky fifth slot (super strong year) somehow went to Keaton in the end.

by Anonymousreply 15302/11/2013

[quote]Nobody ever thought she was better than Meryl.

You have no proof of that whatsoever. You didn't take a poll of all the people who voted that year to ask them what they thought.

You can't make sweeping statements like that because they are lies.

You can say "I have no doubt that some of the people thought Keaton was better, but not all of them." That's as close as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 15402/11/2013

"You can't make sweeping statements like that"

Oh, but I can.

And I just did!

by Anonymousreply 15502/11/2013

Yes, but you know it's not true, and just makes you look like the unhinged idiot that you are.

How old ARE you, Streep Turd?

by Anonymousreply 15602/11/2013

"but you know it's not true"

Wrong.

I do know it's true. Otherwise I would't be saying it.

by Anonymousreply 15702/11/2013

[quote]I do know it's true. Otherwise I would't be saying it.

This should be a concern to you, then. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 15802/11/2013

"This should be a concern to you"

It's not.

by Anonymousreply 15902/11/2013

Not one of you cockologists thought to mention, "The River Wild"?

by Anonymousreply 16002/11/2013

More people thought Diane was better than Meryl in Marvins Room.

Hence, her getting the nomination.

The foreign press thought she was better than Keaton, but Meryl's peers clearly thought Keaton was the best part of Marvin's Room.

Like they thought Kidman was better than Streep in The Hours.

The Streep troll is arguing with basic facts.

by Anonymousreply 16102/11/2013

She-Devil

by Anonymousreply 16202/11/2013

R161, the Streep troll is just that -- a troll. Stop feeding him/her/it.

by Anonymousreply 16302/11/2013

"And besides, I have supporters who start threads for me. It strokes my ego"

I have started several (thought not all) threads requested by the Streep Troll, I admit, although I am not one of his "supporters", and I am not one of his FAAAAANS! (just wanted to throw that in). I don't do it to stroke his ego, although it may have that effect. I do it because I have a type of pity for him as he reminds me of a young alcoholic, obsessive ex-boyfriend of mine who I dumped despite the fact that I had a deep fondness for him. I see the same neediness, insecurity and approval seeking in both. I can recognize Streep Troll's writing style even when he doesn't sign his posts. Much like my ex, I also think Streep Troll is poor. I will continue to create his requested threads to indulge him as I did my ex or as I would do for a petulant child.

by Anonymousreply 16402/11/2013

Actually, she is always brilliant in her movies. And yes, in 'Marvin's Room' she was very touching and she really impressed me by the emotional power of her performance.

by Anonymousreply 16502/13/2013

Agreed, r165.

by Anonymousreply 16602/13/2013

Not a real scene but I jerk off to thinking about Meryl rimming F. Murray Abraham after he ate too much Indian food!

by Anonymousreply 16702/13/2013

bump, in the name of greatness.

by Anonymousreply 16802/16/2013

My favorite she has yet to play, it's called retired actress.

by Anonymousreply 16902/16/2013

The great irony of Meryl's career is that she has never been in a truly great film, not to say that she hasn't given great performances.

by Anonymousreply 17002/16/2013

oh sweety, r70.

Manhattan is one of the most iconic films of the 1970s, so your argument collapses right there. And before you start braying how she was barely in it, well you said: 'she has never been in a truly great film'.

And you're wrong!

Secondly, that accusation can easily be turned around: why haven't more 'great films' used Meryl? It's the directors' fault, not hers - if you choose to go along with the charge (and I don't).

'Great films', after c. 1950, have all been about MEN. Women are merely supporting players in them.

Woody Allen is the sole exception to that rule, in American cinema.

by Anonymousreply 17102/16/2013

r171, Manhattan is not a great film. It's a vanity project for Woody Allen's fantasies about fucking little girls. Speaking of which, Tess by Roman Polanski is a GREAT film. Meryl will never match Nastassja Kinski in that. Never.

by Anonymousreply 17202/16/2013

Manhattan is a great film.

Nobody remembers Tess.

And you are accusing Woody for liking young girls, but in the same breath you're lauding Roman Polanski? LOL!

The imbeciles really never stop showing themselves up.

And once more the winner of this debate is:

by Anonymousreply 17302/16/2013

Watch "Tess" again. It's a stunning film. I criticize Woody Allen for glorifying his perverse penchant. Polanski never glorifies himself or his self-destructive behaviors on film. He is a true artist.

by Anonymousreply 17402/16/2013

Manhattan is not a great film. It's watchable but it's too mental. As Woody said in that film "the brain is the most overrated part of you". "Tess" is about the heart, and not in a sentimental way. The closest Meryl got to being her own "Tess" was "The House of the Spirits" but again, she was let down by the execution.

Once again, I must laud Nastassja Kinski for her magnificent presence in the film that Polanski dedicated to his poor Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 17502/16/2013

Whatever you think of those films, 'Manhattan' is an iconic film of the 70s, i.e. still remembered and highly regarded, outside of cinephile circles.

'Tess' is only remembered by cineasts.

Polanski's legacy is CHINATOWN and ROSEMARY'S BABY. Not fucking Tess!

And Nastassja Kinski may have been a 'presence', but she's hardly an accomplished actress, which is why her career went nowhere.

Manhattan: classic, iconic, Woody, Meryl, Diane, Gershwin, ultimate NYC distillate.

Tess: whatever!

by Anonymousreply 17602/16/2013

"It's watchable but it's too mental"

To an American ADHD loser like you, yes.

To the rest of the world, especially Europe, a gift from the Gods.

by Anonymousreply 17702/16/2013

Polanski's legacy is his entire career. You can't just pick and choose what becomes a great film according to popular taste. You have to study, experience, contemplate. You're logic is why the creed 'don't throw pearls to swine' was invented. You don't get it because you're too elitist. Stuck up defensive snob. Meryl has never been in a great film.

by Anonymousreply 17802/16/2013

A gift from the Gods?! HAHAHAH. A film about a cynical atheist who has probably spent a week devising at his desk every single one liner. Spare me. Polanski's Tess IS the splendor of Europe's rural customs you conceited little ingrate. Not some psuedo-intellectual bourgeouis nihilistic hellhole like Woody's Manhattan. Now fuck off - I bore of your pretentious tedium.

by Anonymousreply 17902/16/2013

Meryl's in two scenes in Manhattan. It's Woody, Diane and Mariel's (who got the oscar nomination) movie all the way, and they help to make it iconic.

Streep plays a bitchy lesbian with no character growth. Her character isn't memorable at all.

Meryl's classic films tend to be ones in which she has a supporting role in. With the exception of Sophie's Choice (which was over thirty years ago BTW)

by Anonymousreply 18002/16/2013

And yet, sweethearts, she IS in 'Manhattan', which is a classic of American cinema, and one of Woody's top 3 most well-known films.

You can downplay her contribution until you're blue in the face, it won't change anything. Meryl was in 'Manhattan', while 'Tess' is barely remembered these days.

And I just love r179! As if Polanski himself had come up with the story of Tess. Laughing out loud, I am! It's entirely the work of Thomas Hardy.

Talk about pretentious tedium, r179.

In any case, Woody is a far more visionary intellectual than Roman Polanski has ever been. Polanski is a great cineast, but not an original thinker.

Finally, r180: Meryl was not supporting in 'Out of Africa', which is a classic film of hers. (No, not an all-time classic film per se, but a classic film in her filmography - and that is the category you brought up).

It's hilarious you imbeciles are calling ME a snob, yet at the same time you're complaining Meryl has too few high-brow classics under belt!

Oh, the irony.

She IS the original anti-snob, going where the interesting roles are, regardless whether the film itself will become a masterpiece. She cares about the human condition, and follows her instincts - not the opinions of the phillistine crowd.

Needless to say, all this will go over your stupid heads.

by Anonymousreply 18102/16/2013

[quote]Meryl was in 'Manhattan', while 'Tess' is barely remembered these days.

Moron. Stop typing.

by Anonymousreply 18202/16/2013

Very convincing, r182!

And, as you can see, entirely futile.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 18302/16/2013

Out of Africa WOULD have been an all-time classic film of Meryl's if she'd had a different leading man - like Sam Neill (as the lead, not supporting). Or any number of Brits.

It was Redford who brought the film down and made it less than it should have been.

by Anonymousreply 18402/16/2013

Agreed, r184. At the same time, too much is made of the Redford thing.

Like, everybody is happy they found an opening where they can bash a Meryl film, just to take her down a notch.

People really are irritated, at a very base level, by a woman being this talented AND regocnized for her talent. They can't stand it.

So, they jump on Redford as if that somehow proves how overrated Meryl is. Who cares if he's a pedestrian actor? Meryl elevates the material, and 'Out of Africa' is a fantastic film to begin with. Very lyrical, very elliptic, grand, and full of finesse and charme, and it has two formidable actors in it (K.M. Brandauer being the other one).

If you take bona fide classics such as 'Manhattan', 'Out of Africa', and 'Deer Hunter', the historical import of 'Sophie's Choice', intriguing work like 'Adaptation', fine literary films such as 'Ironweed', and social commentary a la 'Silkwood' and 'Angels in America', and the VERY prescient 'A Cry in the Dark' - then you've got one hell of a filmography.

And once more, the Meryl detractors are revealed as the primitive bunch they are.

by Anonymousreply 18502/16/2013

Are you crazy, Streep Troll? (Well, we know, but anyway ...) It does nothing to take Streep down to say that Redford was awful in Out of Africa. And he was awful on a GRAND scale. Not only miscast terribly, but his acting wasn't good.

Out of Africa is one of her best performances, but it would have been a truly great film - remembered alongside Sophie's Choice - if she had been partnered with a different actor.

by Anonymousreply 18602/16/2013

And yet, r186, too much is made of the Redford thing.

I maintain that it gives primitive freaks an opening to 'take her down a notch'. By harping on about how she hasn't got any classic films under her belt.

She does. With or without Redford, 'Out of Africa' is classic.

Yes, another actor would have been better; but that factor has been blown out of proportion.

by Anonymousreply 18702/16/2013

HEARTBURN - (so underrated,even for Meryl) POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE ADAPTATION And she was quite good in the mis-advertised HOPE SPRINGS. In fact, I thought Tommy Lee was better in this than Lincoln - it was more of a stretch, and he was very funny and very real.

by Anonymousreply 18802/16/2013

I was responding to your OWN claim, ST, that Out of Africa was a classic, but not an "all-time classic" - and it would be an "all-time classic" without Redford. She's great, it's one of her five best. But she does not exist in a vacuum. Put her on screen with actors who are equals, and the whole movie is brilliant, rather than just "she's brilliant in a less-than-brilliant film" (a la The iron Lady).

by Anonymousreply 18902/16/2013

Streep troll, you're fine with me and Meryl is wonderful. You're just being stalked because you don't post anonymously. Plus contrarians have always loved to pretend Meryl is overrated, and nominate other ridiculous actresses who deserve her acclaim more. I remember one of them said Diana Scarwid (Mommie Dearest) puts Meryl to shame!

by Anonymousreply 19002/16/2013

Zsa Zsa Gabor in PICTURE MOMMY DEAD puts Meryl to shame! So does Pia Zadora's garden hose in THE LONELY LADY, and Theresa Russell in anything!

by Anonymousreply 19102/17/2013

Thanks, r190.

"contrarians have always loved to pretend Meryl is overrated, and nominate other ridiculous actresses who deserve her acclaim more"

Truer words were never spoken.

by Anonymousreply 19202/18/2013

Meryl Oscar day, everybody!

by Anonymousreply 19302/24/2013

"the dingo ate my pussy"

by Anonymousreply 19402/24/2013

Since a new thread has been created on 'A Cry in the Dark', I'm bumping this poll for y'all.

More votes, please!

by Anonymousreply 19503/03/2013

Easily one not on your list, "Postcards From the Edge".

by Anonymousreply 19603/03/2013

[quote]I also think the sheer joy and life she brought to Julia and julia was overlooked due to her uncanny impersonation. If that had just been a Julia Child film and we hadn't had to suffer through Amy Adams that might have been the 3rd Oscar.

Yer delivery of the line, "These damn things are as hot as a stiff cock!" was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 19703/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.