Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christina Applegate Exits NBC's 'Up All Night'

Her departure comes as the sophomore comedy was undergoing massive creative changes.

NBC's Up All Night has lost its star.

Christina Applegate has departed the sophomore comedy, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

STORY: 'Up All Night' Adds Episodes, Switches to Multicamera Format

"It's been a great experience working on Up All Night, but the show has taken a different creative direction and I decided it was best for me to move on to other endeavors," Applegate said in a statement Friday. "Working with Lorne Michaels has been a dream come true and I am grateful he brought me into his TV family. I will miss the cast, producers and crew, and wish them the best always."

Ahead of its reboot from a single- to multicamera series, Applegate's departure comes a month after series creator Emily Spivey also parted ways with the second-year comedy. They follow showrunner Tucker Crawley, who was replaced by Nurse Jackie's Linda Wallem as NBC and studio Universal Television opted to make creative changes to the struggling Applegate, Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph series.

Crawley, for his part, replaced original showrunner Jon Pollack. The former departed in December to work as a consulting producer on Fox's The Mindy Project, which is produced by Universal Media Studios.

STORY: NBC's 'Up All Night' Changes Showrunners as Multicamera Switch Nears

NBC announced in December that Up All Night was scheduled to resume production in February following a three-month hiatus, with three additional episodes tacked on to its initial order of 16. The Michaels-produced comedy is amid a transition from single-camera to a generally cheaper and often broader multicamera format, a process that has entailed building new soundstages to be able to film the series in front of a live studio audience.

Up All Night is scheduled to return to NBC in April or May. The creative changes mark the latest for the comedy this year after the Rudolph's talk-show format was ditched in the season two premiere earlier this fall. All of the tweaks come as NBC looks to refresh their comedy brand as a destination for more broadly appealing fare, which entertainment chief Jennifer Salke outlined in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter last month.

Studio Universal Television declined comment on Applegate and the show's future. NBC also declined comment on the show's status.

by Anonymousreply 10503/24/2013

She probably left because she broke up Arnett's marriage then broke up with him (as the blind item tells me).

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

Good for her - she deserves much better than that crappy show.

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

Poor thing just can get a hit like her former co-stars Katy and Ed have.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

Fucking Will Arnett cost him his marriage and his job. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

Is this also why Applegate won't be in the Ron Burgundy sequel?

I imagine Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler are good friends. Maybe she wasn't asked to be in the sequel b/c she broke up Amy's marriage?

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

It seems that 'showrunner' is a thankless job because they all get replaced every five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

It's a terrible show. They should just cancel it and find another vehicle for Will Arnett.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

The show was better in the first season. I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to see how it would transition to multi camera (I'm assuming it will be cancelled).

Pretty shitty of her to do though. That means everybody else loses their job too.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

Don't the major stars usually have contracts?

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

[quote]Is this also why Applegate won't be in the Ron Burgundy sequel?

No, she is in the sequel.

I thought the first season really got into a good groove by the end. But then they changed all the plot points and added the brother, and it never quite felt the same.

I was curious to see it as a multi-cam, mainly because I thought it would never work.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

I'm available to come on as Reagan's sister!

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

Who keeps giving her these lead roles when she has flop show after flop show? "Jesse" was cancelled after 2 seasons, "Samantha Who?" was cancelled after 2 seasons, and this show has been a flop that will eventually be cancelled.

She's better in supporting roles, not leads.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

Why is NBC determined to keep this show on the air? It has flopped massively in the ratings. Replacing major characters on TV with new actors has rarely worked in the past. Why do it now?

Cancel it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

Will Arnett already has the new Arrested Development starting on Netflix in May I think.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

I liked Up All Night, it could be very funny and she was actually good in it, too bad they couldn't work things out.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

I'm available!!

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

What the fuck is a showrunner anyway? I've been watching tv since the 70's and have never even heard of this term until the last three years-now I hear it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

I never watched the show but had no idea she is the reason his marriage to Amy Pohler ended!

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

I would also like to know what the fuck a showrunner is. I never heard that term until relatively recently.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

Link to Applegate being a homewreaker.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

A showrunner is the executive producer who oversees day-to-day production.

Or, in other words, RUNS THE SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

CA seems like a nice person but she's not all that interesting of an actress. She just sort of says her lines in an inoffensive way. These types should not have shows built around them.

I actually liked Season 2 over S1 since they calmed the Ava character down. I also liked the brother character. Oh well, now it's over.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

So why don't they just say 'executive producer' like they've been doing since television was invented, and stop with the 'showrunner' term which apparently was made up just a few short years ago?

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

R25, I am guessing that it's because there are so many executive producers now - some with the studio, some with a production company, some vanity, etc. — that's it's necessary to distinguish who's responsible for day-to-day.

For ex., Ben Silverman is listed as an EP of The Office, but he doesn't do shite—he just owned the production company that adapted the UK version to the US years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

I've never seen this show, but I once saw Christina Applegate smoking a cigarette AFTER she had had a double mastectomy, so you can take that for what it's worth and draw your own conclusions on how good her judgment is.

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

Maya Rudolph is a bi-racial/half Jewish female actor. Your assertion that she is a quadroon is ridiculous. Her mom was Minnie Ripperton. She had her moments on SNL so she's not that bad. PTA had Fiona Apple who seems like an absolute loon and an animal in bed. I don't get why they didn't stay together. PTA could do better but judging from The Master and They Will Be Bored AKA There will be blood he's a clueless pseudo intellectual half wit.

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

Lorne Michael must have a massive ego. He can't be off TV. SNL should've been gone years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2013

Does Christina Applegate have a cock or is he a shemale? I can't see Will tapping that. Then again isn't she married as well? What happened to monogamy and fidelity in Hollywood....;)

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2013

what the heck is a sea hag?

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2013

I liked this show a lot until I noticed a massive quality decline halfway through the first season. I did some research and saw that the original showrunner had been replaced. It's been on autopilot ever since.

It's such a shame. Will Arnett is such a brilliant comedic actor that it's depressing to watch him sleepwalk through an unfunny show that inexplicably has him say "babe" every five seconds.

Also, Christina Applegate's brother was a terrible addition to the cast. I'm sure he does a lot of suuuper cool, isoteric comedy that hipsters diddle themselves over, but he was an unappealing non-presence in an already dead show.

by Anonymousreply 3402/08/2013

The latest blind item supposedly about Applegate and Arnett

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2013

[quote] Well, if it gets cancelled it will be worth it to get that untalented piece of shit quadroon, octoroon, or what-f-ing ever Maya Rudolph (baby-maker extraordinaire) off the air

Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!

A racist, sexist, vile piece of sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 3602/08/2013

Is Sarah Chalke working on anything at the momment?

by Anonymousreply 3702/08/2013

This is weird, right? Wouldn't she be under contract? You'd think they'd just announce the expected cancellation or that she's being replaced rather than she's leaving mid-season.

by Anonymousreply 3802/08/2013

[quote]I never watched the show but had no idea she is the reason his marriage to Amy Pohler ended!

She's not. It's called Gossip. She has an infant. They have changed the show drastically from the show she signed up for. Now they are going to taped before a live audience. She didn't want to so it.

by Anonymousreply 3902/08/2013

So Will's fucking an 18 year old who still lives at home now?

He's such a tool.

by Anonymousreply 4002/08/2013

It was a Meh show and had the potential to be on the air for a few years like that Jim Belushi crap, where no one realizes it been on the air forever. It was funny occasionally. I really liked Maya Rudolph's Oprah like character, but after they fucked with the format it really became even more Meh than before.

by Anonymousreply 4102/08/2013

Maya as Oprah really worked the first season. Turning this into a broad live audience yuk fest would have ruined it.

I love Applegate and good for her for leaving.

by Anonymousreply 4202/08/2013

Arnett's cheating ass broke up his own marriage. Now he's talking a starstruck teenager out of going to college? If any of this is true, he sounds like a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4302/08/2013

[r43]: there's nothing more ridiculous than a menopausal man. And it will only get uglier.

by Anonymousreply 4402/08/2013

Lots of Amy Poehler/Louis CK sightings of late. They seem a better fit anyway. Arnett got WAY too LA in the last couple of years and while Amy loves her show and probably doesn't want it canceled, she doesn't seem the Hollywood type to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 4502/08/2013

[quote]Well, if it gets cancelled it will be worth it to get that untalented piece of shit quadroon, octoroon, or what-f-ing ever Maya Rudolph (baby-maker extraordinaire) off the air.

Racist eldergays are ruining DL.

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2013

If Amy is taking up with Louis CK r45, her kids definitely already look the part with their little ginger heads. Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2013

A showrunner is an executive producer, but he/she is also the head writer and usually the show's creator. Being the leader in the writer's room is often their most important task.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2013

I vaguely remember "Jesse" but I do know that I liked it. I liked "Samantha Who?" too.

For my taste, this show was/is just awful. Jaw-droppingly unfunny.

I like Will Arnet as well. Besides "Arrested Development" I liked his character on "30 Rock." But UAN and that other series he did with Keri Russell (also bad) make me wonder what draws him to take a job. Strictly $$$?

Lorne Michaels is a perfect example of the wrong kind of person having too much power.

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2013

Will Arnett is fucking HOT, though. I want him in me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2013

I don't believe the CDAN blind word for word because Enty is a known liar. It is believable that there was an affair and that instead of splitting with her husband Applegate is choosing to leave the show.

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2013

She does not want to be in a cheesy 3 camera, got fuck all to do with fucking.

by Anonymousreply 5202/09/2013

Louis CocK? OMG Amy looks like a supermodel compared to that fugly thing.Couldn't sbe find someone far more cuter than that? He must be hung like an elephant or he is the best clitlicker in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 5302/09/2013

So the dialogue from Anchorman actually kind of applies here...

....that she's a smelly pirate hooker who lives on Whore Island?

by Anonymousreply 5402/09/2013

[quote]Arnett's cheating ass broke up his own marriage. Now he's talking a starstruck teenager out of going to college? If any of this is true, he sounds like a piece of shit.

Thank you, R43. I like Arnett, too, but was disturbed by the fact most posters seem to put all the blame for this (alleged) affair on Applegate and none on Arnett, as if she forced him into it against his will.

by Anonymousreply 5502/09/2013

How did Christina men stealing whore Applegate manage to fly under the radar for so many years while Datalounge paid so much attention to Goop, AnnE, Lindsay Lohan, Reese Witherspoon, and Tiffani Amber Thiessen's fat face?

by Anonymousreply 5602/09/2013

I'm sure Will's huge penis and amazing body were lonely and just needed some attention.

by Anonymousreply 5702/09/2013

Is Arnett hung?

by Anonymousreply 5802/09/2013

If there was an affair, I give them both nothing but credit.

Christina: For proving there's dirty sex after double mastectomy—put that slut on the cover of O: The Oprah Magazine as an inspiration to us all. (I'd like to see any of you bitches get a man after a double orchiectomy.)

Will: For being open-minded enough to be into a woman with stubborn baby weight, no boobs and a husband.

Put them both on the cover of O.

That said, I find the rumor hard to believe, because Will Arnett is way too hot and has way more options than a woman with stubborn baby weight, no boobs and a husband.

by Anonymousreply 5902/09/2013

She could have just faked a stress fracture in her foot. It worked for her before.

by Anonymousreply 6002/09/2013

I love the actor Luka Jones that plays her brother. He's my ideal boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 6102/09/2013

Will they do like on "Valerie" and kill off her character? That'd be awesome. Her character is named "Reagan," so they could have her gunned down by "Hinckley" (played by David Faustino).

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2013

R49, Will Arnett actually created "Running Wilde" with Mitchell Hurwitz. I believe Arnett was an executive producer and involved in the show's writing and casting. I had high hopes for it, but it was terrible.

R45, Amy Poehler did a podcast interview in the fall of 2011 (right before the Arnett-Applegate rumors surfaced). Amy said she's still and always a New Yorker, that she dislikes L.A. because it changes people who become obsessed with their appearance, spend all day at the gym and are self-centered with no sense of the real world around them.

When Lainey had the Arnett-Poehler blind item (published on their ninth wedding anniversary), she talked about how hot Arnett looks now and that he had been working out a lot.

R59, Applegate also had breast reconstruction surgery at the time of her double mastectomy. The average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Really stupid of her to still be a smoker. That might be appealing to Arnett, who smokes like a chimney despite his fitness kick.

I don't know if Poehler and Louis C.K. are involved, but they have been friends since 1997 or so. He's also kept it very real despite his success. That might be appealing to her. Since the separation, she's spoken out on women's reproductive rights, gun control and California's domestic workers' rights bill, expanded her Smart Girls channel and spent New Years volunteering at an orphanage in Haiti.

by Anonymousreply 6302/09/2013

I mean the show wasn't a classic or anything but worked well enough in its first season. Why they did all that retooling in the first place is beyond me, let alone switch formats mid-season. Now this is just a disaster. I can't imagine it could last at all. Just cancel it and move on. NBC really scraping the bottom of the barrel for shows.

Oddly, has to be good news for Poehler's show though. I mean it's a critical darling and even though it's low-rated has been holding steady. It's like the little show that could so why would they cancel it now with virtually no other programming?

by Anonymousreply 6402/09/2013

Yeah, R46, now all eldergays are racist. Tool.

by Anonymousreply 6502/09/2013

Is Sandy Duncan available?

by Anonymousreply 6602/09/2013

[quote]She could have just faked a stress fracture in her foot. It worked for her before.

Can you explain this? Are you referring to Applegate? I tried to find something on google, but nothing came back.

by Anonymousreply 6702/09/2013

Just create a new show around Maya Rudolph and Will Arnett.

Spin Parks and Rec into a new show with Leslie as Indiana governor and the rest of the P&R cast as her staff. That's a natural progression for the show. Or they leap further forward in time and she's the first female president. (1600 Penn's done for anyway.) Like Yes, Minister successfully evolved into Yes, Prime Minister.

Then Maya and Will take over Parks and Rec.

Major interest in two proven properties. Two tentpoles for Thursday night.

by Anonymousreply 6802/09/2013

r67, Applegate quit a theatre play with that excuse.

by Anonymousreply 6902/09/2013

I would never violate HIPPA by telling you I saw the x-ray and the fracture was real.

In addition I would never violate in order to confirm that that foot was swollen bigger than my dick on a horny day.

Nope. I can't tell you any of that.

by Anonymousreply 7002/09/2013

Pretty sure that Amy and Louis CK live in the same building in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 7102/09/2013

I used to see Louis CK on Parks and Rec as Leslie's bf but I didn't really know who he was until I started watching his own show on FX.

by Anonymousreply 7202/09/2013

Louis CK is way more sexy than Will Arnett. It's a real, flesh-and-blood man vs. an ochre, shiny LA wax figure.

Odds are CK throws a better fuck.

by Anonymousreply 7302/09/2013

[quote]what the heck is a sea hag?

sea hag

by Anonymousreply 7402/09/2013

R73 is Louie's agent! Or Louie CocK himself. Will Arnett is Canadian so he's not the typical shallow Hollywood fuck.Then again fucking your co-star and fooling around with an 18 year old is typically shallow Hollywood fuck behavior....go figure.

by Anonymousreply 7502/09/2013

[quote]Applegate quit a theatre play with that excuse.

Actually she didn't quit, just like she didn't have an affair with Will Arnett. She opened in "Sweet Charity" on Broadway with a fractured foot healing and revived a Tony Award nomination for Best Actress In A Musical. Christ, you can't even get that simple known fact straight.

by Anonymousreply 7602/09/2013

Applegate is no saint, R76. She ran with a very fast crowd for years, and was hanging out with River Phoenix the night he OD'd. She moved to a different fast crowd, one that included Cameron Diaz and Selma Blair. Later, Applegate married a female friend before marrying Johnathon Schaech.

After their divorce, Applegate was partying with her fiance when he OD'd and died. Less than a year later, she was engaged to another man - and still hasn't married him two years after their daughter's birth. Something seems off about her.

by Anonymousreply 7702/09/2013

Louis CK definitely lives in the Apthorp on the UWS.

by Anonymousreply 7802/09/2013

Does Poehler as well, R78?

by Anonymousreply 7902/09/2013

Don't think so. I think when Poehler is in NYC she has a place downtown.

by Anonymousreply 8002/09/2013

I'm sure she'll work again.

by Anonymousreply 8102/09/2013

I don't know why she doesn't give TV Drama a whirl at this point in her career.

I remember she had a dramatic role in some movie about porn stars (Wonderland?) and she was quite good. Look at what Sons of Anarchy has done for Katey Segal.

God only knows it really isn't happening for CA in comedy right now.

I dunno. A good SVU episode and a whirl at some FX drama may do her career wonders.

by Anonymousreply 8202/09/2013

I agree she should do drama. She's not very funny, imo.

by Anonymousreply 8302/10/2013

I got dumped for a titless woman!!! The humanity of it all!!

by Anonymousreply 8402/10/2013

Fuck you, racist R19. Do you hate Maya Rudolph's acting or her racial background? What was the reasoning behind your shitty post?

by Anonymousreply 8502/10/2013

Now I just read NBC has ordered ONE multi-cam episode..yes that's right ONE?? What the hell is the point of that, except as a pilot for a completely different series?

by Anonymousreply 8602/12/2013

It was supposed to be five episodes, R86. NBC reduced its order to one episode.

by Anonymousreply 8702/12/2013

[quote]Later, Applegate married a female friend before marrying Johnathon Schaech.

That would explain a lot, since JS is gay.

by Anonymousreply 8802/13/2013

I don't think Applegate is necessarily gay. She just really likes drugs.

by Anonymousreply 8902/13/2013

And now Maya Rudolph is preggers again! I think that's really the end for this sinking ship.

by Anonymousreply 9002/17/2013

It looks like even the one remaining episode has been abandoned.

Deadline says one of the two remaining stars went to NBC and said they were uncomfortable continuing.

I'd think that would be Maya Rudolph. She has more pull at NBC and according to this post they offered her a pilot. If the rumors are true about Arnett and Applegate, he's in the professional doghouse for the moment (though getting other offers).

by Anonymousreply 9102/17/2013

When did Will Arnett get hot?

by Anonymousreply 9202/18/2013

R92 I agree...something about him makes me want him inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 9302/18/2013

They really fucked this one up. What kind of idiots run networks?

by Anonymousreply 9402/18/2013

Will Arnett got hotter during the course of this show, but he also got douchier which resulted in the break-up of his marriage. Interestingly his estranged wife Amy Poehler has gotten much hotter since the break-up. So maybe it's a good thing after all.

Except for their children being brought up in a broken home and all.

by Anonymousreply 9502/18/2013

I've only seen Arnett in that awful Blades of Glory. He gave off a very creepy vibe.

by Anonymousreply 9602/18/2013

Jeez, Maya Rudolph is quite the cumslut.

by Anonymousreply 9702/18/2013

"Up All Night" is dead. Will Arnett is out.

by Anonymousreply 9802/22/2013

NBC needs to dig up Brandon Tartikoff to come run the network again.

Even dead, I'm sure he'd be better than whomever is calling the shots over there.

by Anonymousreply 9902/22/2013

We're number five! We're number five!

by Anonymousreply 10002/22/2013

R98 It's time for NBC to just cancel it now.

by Anonymousreply 10102/22/2013

This is a great article from TV Guide on the demise of Up All Night. This was my favorite part:

"With Applegate gone, both Arnett's and Rudolph's agents urged them to move on, too. "They wanted to get off the show, but they were scared of the wrath of Lorne," says another insider."

This is awesome, too. Melissa Etheridge was considered to "save" the show. LOL.

"Wallem and the writing staff began brainstorming ideas for the multi-camera version. One pitch placed a portal between the two worlds — the single-cam and multi-cam versions — that only baby Amy could see. Another idea put Wallem and her real-life partner, Etheridge, in front of the camera, perhaps with the action taking place in their living room."

"Ultimately, a script was written in which Applegate, Arnett and Rudolph played actors portraying the characters Reagan, Chris and Ava on a fictional show called Up All Night. Off the show-within-a-show, Arnett's character would live at home with his mother, and Applegate's would be dating. Rudolph's real-life pregnancy was being written into the storyline — and included a "who's the daddy?" twist."

by Anonymousreply 10203/10/2013

Sounds like Appelgate made a great decision.

by Anonymousreply 10303/10/2013

The article stated Applegate was actually in breach of contract, but NBC decided not to press it. I wonder if Lorne is mad at her for it.

by Anonymousreply 10403/10/2013

So this show still hasn't been killed? What's the holdup?

by Anonymousreply 10503/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!