Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will Windows Ever Go Extinct?

Everyone hates it, but everyone is forced to use it in some way since the web is still Microsoft designed. I really wish it could be crushed once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2013

Works fine for me, and the accompanying software which is quite productive. If you don't like it, use any of the non windows alternatives out there to access the internet, or whatever you do. You're not forced to use anything, no need to be angry. it's all pretty simple.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

All I'm saying is an end to their complete dominance.

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

Nope. Apple's system is too controlled and the one thing it lacks is easy networking.

Linux had a good shot, but lost its way. It's now divided into so many flavours, that updating it is difficult. Ubuntu, is now a bloated mess. Though there are a lot of other kinds of Linux.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

Doubtful. Although I think they're losing part of the market because of the constant upgrade cycles.

From XP through 7 it looked ok, but Windows 8 is a radical departure.

And a lot of the business world still runs XP.

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

No, but there will be much more competition as consumers and business move away from desktops and laptops towards touch-screen tablet computers.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

I have a macbook and a windows machine. Love the windows, hate the mac

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

I've had Mac shit for ten years now, and whenever I go home to my mom's house I can't figure out how to make Windows even work, it all seems completely bizarre and counter-intuitive to me.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

I used Macs until I wanted voice activated software around 2000. The Mac program, Via Voice, was an embarrassment compared to Naturally Speaking. Plus the computer itself, one of those "rainbow" single-box macs, offgassed such strong heated plastic fumes (IIRC, it was from not having a fan), I would feel like passing out after an hour.

So I bought a Dell that used Windows ME, and two Windows computers after that, I can say I don't see what the big difference is or was between the two.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

Of course it will go extinct. Right after robots killing the human race for crippling them with that damn crappy system.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

Im posting from Windows XP right now, on an old desktop. As long as Windows XP continues to be fully operational way, way beyond the years anyone thought it would, then Windows will never die.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

I have always liked Windows. I was never sufficiently motivated to learn any of the computer languages, so the Window's shell made using a computer practical. I have a Mac presently, but I'm not very happy with OSX, it still seems rather crude compared to Windows, the Mac just requires several more clicks to do the same as Microsoft. Net, net, there isn't so much difference between the two, but there's a lot more freedom and efficiency with Windows than with OSX. I only switched to Mac because the virus writers targeted Windows and rarely bothered with us fuddy duddy Mac people.

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

Love Windows and hate Mac

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

Retardoze. Windoze.

See, they rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2013

R13,

You are so clever! I love you!

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2013

It'll be marginalized within a few years as Google's web OS dominates. MS is a follower, not an innovator - the General Motors of computer software.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2013

Do you use Chrome as your browser, R15?

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2013

Yes -- I give it 15 years at most.

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2013

Agree with r17

MicroSoft will go the way of IBM. A shell of its former self

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2013

MSFT is screwed when PCs become obsolete. Windows is their only money making software.

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2013

People will always want to be able to see the outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2013

I've never really needed a COMPUTER. All I've ever needed was a hookup to email and the web. I've never computed anything in my life; adding machine, maybe, but I don't even use spread sheets.

When I think of the money I've spent on computers, I laugh at myself. my nitelight has worked harder than any computer I've owned. Windows, OSX and Linux, these are of no concern to me.

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2013

Me too r21.

I'm getting a Chromebook to replace my notebook at only $249.

I think this is the wave of the future for many users.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2013

It's shame Web-TV went away. Perfect for R21 & 22.

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2013

Those things look cute, but I have a hard time even using a laptop. It hurts physically to use one of those tiny keyboards.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2013

The future is the Cloud concept where companies like Microsoft provide the software and you have only access to it online with no software in your pretty much empty shell of a computer with barely any hardware in it.

No more illegal file sharing, full control over the content users have access to, mandatory updates, strict regional code blocking, all kinds of fees to gain access to content that was available for free before, etc.

It may not be called Windows, but Microsoft and Google are far from going under.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2013

Windows as we use it now may go extinct, that is on a PC. Same will likely happen with Apple OS on PCs. PCs are not the hardware of the future for home use.

Just because PCs are on the decline though doesn't mean MS is going anywhere. They are primarily a software company, as such Windows 8 has been optimized for tablets devices not the PC.

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2013

My partner bought the tablet made by MicroSoft (surface). God, it was awful. Nothing worked properly. After one week, e returned it.

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2013

An unsubstantiated comment like R27, while not only having nothing to do with the topic, is also just useless and has no value. It's like a 7 year old saying I don't like it because it's stupid!

I have a Surface and it works just fine. I had to learn a few things but otherwise no issues. So what things didn't work properly?

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.