Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celebrity Atheists

Interesting list, including Alexander Skaarsgard, Amber Heard and Helen Mirrin. Does anyone on the list surprise you? Sandra Bullock surprises me a bit, I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013

Jay-Z on the list surprises me, considering Beyonce is always saying shit like "God is on my side".

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

Daniel Radcliffe was a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

There are 8 people named Lyudmila on this list, so I think they're playing a little fast and loose with the definition of "celebrity".

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

They're probably celebrities in their own country.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

there are all Russians

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

What's the difference between secular humanist and atheist?

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

Fred Armisen publicly stated on Bill Maher's show that he is an atheist. Perhaps it's why his marriage to the Scientologist didn't last. That or he's just too weird to be married to.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

christopher reeve?

way cool

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as the basis of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead good, happy and functional lives.

The term "Secular Humanism" was coined in the 20th century to make a clear distinction from "religious humanism". A related concept is "scientific humanism", which biologist Edward O. Wilson claimed to be "the only worldview compatible with science's growing knowledge of the real world and the laws of nature". Atheism, as an explicit position, can be either the affirmation of the nonexistence of gods, the rejection of theism. It is also defined more broadly as an absence of belief in deities, or nontheism.

Many self-described atheists are skeptical of all supernatural beings and cite a lack of empirical evidence for the existence of deities. Others argue for atheism on philosophical, social or historical grounds. Although many self-described atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism, and naturalism, there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere; and some religions, such as Jainism and Buddhism, do not require belief in a personal god. Simply put, atheists do not believe in a god. I have met some Humanists who are atheists and others who still may still cling to some religious background.

Now that I read this over again it really is so similar. Everybody is different so some people rather use the term athesit as a definite statement as to their intent while some people use humanist as they are more interested in the betterment and empowerment of humankind than worrying about a specific god's existence.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

What surprises me is that I've never heard of most of those people. Are we sure this isn't the "Atheist Nobodies" list?

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

Thanks r10! Gosh, it's much harder to grasp and complicated than I thought, lol. So in a Venn diagram, secular humanists lies overlapped with agnostics, atheists and the religious.

Somehow I am reminded of the "labels, no labels and wrong labeling" thing in sexuality.

Humans are confusing in their categorisation efforts.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

She's not really a celebrity, but the Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, is an out atheist living without benefit (?) of marriage with her guy Tim.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

OMG, I love the name "Fai McNasty"!!! It sounds like something someone made up on DL.

Hail to thee, new DL icon Fai McNasty!

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

I'm surprised Adam Carrolla is a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

He he, Gizz Butt. Another nominee for the DL Hall of Fame

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

Honey Boo Boo Child has said she is agnostic with atheist tendencies. I hear she's reading Sartre now.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

Good, Just keep her away from Ayn Rand!

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

I laughed at Ayn Rand being included on the list. No fucking shit, list maker.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

Jay Z is a satanist thinks he is God. He calls himself Hova as in Jehovah. All that devil worship in the music industry is real.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

Seth Green and Seth McFarland are atheists? Who knew?

And Ray Romano? Sir Richard Branson?

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2013

Julianne Moore? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2013

Gumby, Jessica Rabbit and Jabba the Hutt -- atheists.

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2013

So these are the future tenants....OF HELLLLLL!

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2013

It seems like the list creator inferred that people are atheist on the basis of an Eastern Bloc nationality and official state view of atheism, as opposed to a self-report.

by Anonymousreply 2502/10/2013

r20 - How can it be "real" if there's no such thing as the devil? How do you even walk around with that kind of crap rattling around in your head?

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2013

Fritz Lang (director)

Richard Burton (actor)

Butterfly McQueen (actress)

Noel Coward (playwright)

Charles Laughton (actor)

Anton LaVey (founder of the Church of Satan)

LaVey was privately an atheist and refused to register the church as a 501c tax-exempt org.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2013

Isn't that special.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2013

Jodie Foster.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2013

Gary Numan is quite outspoken about it.

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2013

Finally, R28 lists some real talent.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!