Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

U.K. lasagna products recalled for having 60 percent horsemeat

Some beef lasagna products recalled from British stores contained more than 60 percent horsemeat, U.K. food safety authorities said Thursday. It was the latest revelation in a growing scandal surrounding the use of horsemeat and the mislabeling of meat products in Europe.

Frozen-food company Findus recalled the beef lasagna meals earlier this week after French supplier Comigel raised concerns that the products didn't "conform to specification." The U.K. Food Standards Agency said the lasagnas were tested as part of an ongoing investigation into mislabeled meat.

Already this month, millions of burgers have been taken off shop shelves as it emerged that beef products from three companies in Ireland and Britain contained horse DNA.

Eighteen beef lasagna products were tested by Findus, which found that 11 contained horsemeat in the 60 to 100 percent range, the Food Standards Agency said. It would not say if any of the meals were 100 percent horsemeat.

The agency said there's no evidence yet of a food safety risk, but added that tests have been ordered on the lasagna to see if it contains the veterinary drug phenylbutazone. Animals treated with phenylbutazone are not allowed to enter the food chain because it may pose a risk to human health, the agency added.

People who had purchased the meals were advised not to eat them but to return the products to the shops they were bought from.

Eating horsemeat is not generally a health risk, but the recent incidents have triggered disgust in Britain and Ireland, where horsemeat is not traditionally eaten. They also have raised fears over food security and labeling along the supply chain.

The revelations have shaken Ireland in particular, because beef exports are a key industry. Irish government officials and an Irish meat company have blamed meat imported from Poland, but Polish authorities say they have found no evidence backing those claims.

Findus UK apologized to customers and said it was confident it has "full resolved" the supply-chain issue. "We understand this it is a very sensitive subject for consumers and we would like to reassure you we have reacted immediately," the company said.

Catherine Brown, chief executive of the U.K. Food Standards Agency, said that following its investigations into Findus, the agency is demanding more comprehensive meat testing from the food business "in order to demonstrate that the food it sells and serves is what it says it is on the label."

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

Could someone hand me a barf bag?

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

They are using it because it is cheaper than beef so just sell the fucking horse as horse and let it compete on the market.

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2013

Make your own "lasagne product" and you shouldn't have this problem.

Marcella Hazan's recipe is best. It's called lasagne Bolognese. You make your own lasagne noodles, and layer them with Bolognese sauce, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Bechamel/Besciamella sauce. Not that ricotta/mozzarella slop from New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

No more UK shepher's pie for me!

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

Camilla must be terrified.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

The tradition of ricotta comes from Italy, not New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

R3 her recipe sounds horrible. Masses of noodles with two sauces, a carb nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

In Sicily the lasagne I had contained a tiny big of pancetta, rictotta, tomato sauce, no beef sausage or mozzarella.

3 layers of noodles, one bottom, one center, one top. It was very light.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

R3 OK pseudo food snob enough. That's the real version of lasagna from Bologna BUT that version of lasagna is a version of it that is made in Southern Italy.It's not from New Jersey. The original is much better BUT the Southern Italian version is OK.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

What's wrong with horse meat? France serves it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

That's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

Really??? R10

^ ^ 0_0 o

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

r12, I'm dead serious. It's an animal. What's the big deal? I mean, I can understand people not signing up to eat it, but it's not like it's tainted.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

Escoffier,the great French chef, used to cook with horsemeat during war time. There has always been a legend that mortadella is made from horsemeat. I don't believe that BUT its lesser child,Bologna ,probably has it along with ass and lips of various other animals as well.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

What do you expect from British food?

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

Lasagneigh

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

A young healthy horse is far more expensive than a steer. I am a life-long farmer in Arkansas, and I assure you this is the truth. If they are sneaking ground up horse meat into food, it is from horses that are old, sick, and dying. I have eaten buffalo burger many times, and I would have no problem with eating a horse burger if anyone was foolish enough to butcher a young healthy horse. But that is just not going to happen when the price is about 3 times what a steer would cost.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

I hear the British love horses.

After all, I'm hugely popular there.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

Well, I never!

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

As an Olympian I expected better. However I am scheduled for slaughter. Losers are soon forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

I don't eat meat. I make lasagne layering fried slices of polenta, cheeses and spinach with either white or red sauce.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

R121 it sounds delicious but it is not lasagne You will find this dish in Tuscany under the name...

La polenta con il formaggio a strati

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

Let me guess, R7. You're the one who's always posting about how fat Freddie Smith is.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

Camilla was almost assassinated!

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.