Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

German chocolate cake

Why does the frosting contain coconut? Coconuts are tropical and Germany isn't.

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

Potatoes aren't native to Ireland either OP.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

I it is because of the kind of chocolate that was traditionally used. It's origin is not Germany at all, rather German sweet chocolate as it was called and developed in the mid 19th century. I no longer see chocolate labeled as German sweet chocolate in the stores. Years ago I often made the very best home made fudge ever made. It was Mamie Eisenhowers recipe, available online and it calls for that chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

the germans used pine bark - this was the closest thing.

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

This is such a Grumpy/Rumpy/Umpy/whatever his name is now thread.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

Don't! I get a pang and find myself missing that cretin! He amused.

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

"German's" is actually a brand name owned by "Bakers Chocolate," which in turn is owned by Kraft Foods.

Turns out German was a guy's name, not the country.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

OP this may shock you, but the cocoa tree is also tropical plant.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

I love it. Mama made it from scratch once a year for Christmas Day dinner. It was gorgeous and moist and OMG, SO GOOD. We're taking melt in your mouth. The German chocolate is what made the difference. It was diffeent from regular chocolate cake. It makes me sad to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

The German chocolate cake has nothing to do with Germany but with the 'inventor' who was named German.

I don't even think there is German chocolate cake in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

[quote]Mama made it from scratch once a year for Christmas Day dinner. It was gorgeous and moist and OMG, SO GOOD.

And here I thought her only gifts involved declaring the moistness of her mussy!

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

I worked in a German restaurant and the chef used to make Black Forest cake. The customers would complain that there werent any cherries in the cake. The chef was German and insisted Black Forest cake in Germany did not have cherries in it, and he vasint goink to put no damn cherries in hees cake, shieskopfs!

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

What R10 said.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

At least it's not a pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

R12, Either you chef was an idiot or he was Swiss (perhaps both). The name Black Forest cake comes from the fact that the cake resembles elements of the traditional Black Forrest folk dress. See below. The cherries represent the enormous pompons on the hat. Schwarzwaldkuchen is regulated under German law. The cake must have cherries, a cherry filling, and cherry brandy to be sold as Schwarzwaldkuchen in Germany.

Apparently, there is a Swiss pastry that is also called Schwarzwaldkuchen that is different. I have no idea whether it includes cherries.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

That brown coconut frosting looks like cat puke.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

Fucking hate this cake. Worst dessert ever.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

I spent most of my life thinking that German chocolate was similar to Swiss chocolate. But in recent years I have read that what R10 says is true. If you don't like the coconut icing, I can suggest a cake that is even better than German chocolate and no icing is needed. Hershey bar cake, which was very popular for a short time in the 1950's.

2 sticks of butter 2 cups of sugar 4 eggs 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup of buttermilk 8 Hershey bars, melted (about 12 oz.) 1/2 cup of Hershey syrup 1 tsp Vanilla 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking soda optional: 1 cup chopped nuts--I use roasted almonds

cream butter and proceed with usual cake-making bake in a large bundt pan for an hour @ 350F or until done

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

The Hershey bar cake needs bars from the 50s made in the US with sugar and not the Latin-American HFCS sludge of now.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

R15, he was German, but he trained in Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

My favorite German Chocolate Cake recipe is from the 1997 version of Joy of Cooking, helmed by Ethan Becker.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

Is that true, r15?

I adore black forest cake, probably my favorite dessert.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

It's now called "African American Wilderness Refugee Cake"

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

I was never a big "HFCS is Satan's ingredient" person but R19 is right.

I couldn't figure out what was fucking up recipes that I'd been using for years. It was the HFCS in the chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

Lutherans have it at every bake sell. They must think it's German.

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

It was first developed by Samuel German in 1852.

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

Was Gernan German?

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

Ironically, German chocolate cake is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

My favorite - My grandmother baked it for me on my birthdays.

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

Are there any Germans (from Germany) posting here who can say whether the American "German Chocolate Cake" can now be found in Germany? It's sort of like how spaghetti and meatballs were never found in that combination in Italy due to its being developed in the United States by Italian-Americans but has some degree of popularity in Italy today. The name "German" was a brand name of chocolate and the cake recipe was developed as a way of selling the chocolate, but it soon became confused with the German people and their cuisine(s).

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.